Evil_Deed:

So I need to just post a book to join you guys? Nice

Today I've finished this one - "The Help" byKathryn Stockett . Started it a few days ago

Omg this is amazing! Probably it's one of my favorite books now! I would totally recommend it to anyone.
I'm not crying, I'm not crying... damn I'm crying :'(((

oh I like the movie! it won an Oscar back then.

Thnanks guys <3

Now I'm reading "Newly ploughed land" (English wiki says it's the title of that book in English but in Russian it's just "Land") by Lee Ki Yeong. Just started it yesterday

Sounds like communist propaganda but ok

Picture doesn't load for me. So I tried googling it. Thing is, the author is commonly known as Ri Ki-yong but also sometimes Lee Gi-yeong. Book's name is Shin gaeji〈신개지〉「新開地」 Newly ploughed land.

Story (according to 1942 movie): One spring day when it rained. While watering the paddy fields, Geumryong gets into a fight with the neighboring young man Kokibong, but accidentally kills him. Geum-ryong is sentenced to three years in prison. Meanwhile, Go Young-ran, who is engaged to Geum-ryong, runs away from home because her parents force her to marry someone else. Geum-ryong, who has been released from prison, finds Yeong-ran, but she has become a bar clerk. However, seeing Yeong-ran who is still firmly guarding Jeongjo, she starts anew with Yeong-ran.

As it is a Korean author and the book was written in 1930/40s, it most likely isn't about communism. I'm guessing here it is about the life of folks out in the country side. Could also be a metaphor for the main characters development. You'll need to tell us after you've finished the book. ;)

Everybody, what do you think about a little banner contest for our book club? I think more people could come up with great stuff like Hazel did. And people will have more to choose from. We could vote on banners and the winner gets a book of their choice which I will buy and send to them. How about it? :)

Hey, I seem to have forgotten to update here for a while, so I need to remedy that!!

While I can't say I'm out of my slump, there's nothing like the satisfaction you get when you finish a book, especially if it's good, to get you to read more!! :) And that's what I did, I finally finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust!! 

Though this won't get in my absolute favourite books of all time, it's a 4.5 stars read for me; witty, entertaining, delightful, and so many quotes I'd like to keep for rereading & reflecting, that it's almost a shame I own it at physical form (I'd NEVER mark a physical book). My biggest complain is that it's too short!! But Neil Gaiman's definitely getting in my "I need to read more books by this author!" list -- it was my first book of his.

I read the last pages on the 1st of June, so I'll count this as my May book, or my April-May book if I may.

And I'm now on fast track to finish Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I also started last year. I'm more than 60% done with that at the moment!!

So, to everyone, don't be discouraged! And if you are, just wait for your internet to fail, or your pc/phone to stop working one day, and I guarantee you'll find something to read if nothing else, LMAO!! :D (That's what happened to me and so I managed to read 50% of the book in 2 days, I know, not very encouraging, lol.)

How about reading "American Gods". That one is real good. Also a lot to think about.

Skyesinger:

How about reading "American Gods". That one is real good. Also a lot to think about.

Thank you for your suggestion!! American Gods is definitely on my reading list for years -- in fact I already have a copy of it in my reading app since last year, I think. I'm between this and Neverwhere as my next Neil Gaiman book. 

Sudarsh The Earth_Lover:

February

Re-reading my fvt as I'm not sure about completing a new book after a long break from reading.

En Sarithiram (lit. My history)

An autobiography (achievements and adventure) of a Tamil historian cum linguist who published several endangered ancient literary manuscripts. 

In my view, Re-reading favorite books better than reading 100 books.  Is it available in English? First time I'm hearing about him (Tamil Thatha (Grandfather of Tamil)).

Hi guys! Currently in a reading slump so I am rereading Percy Jackson and the Lightning thief. Currently on the second chapter. 

Skyesinger:
Story (according to 1942 movie): One spring day when it rained. While watering the paddy fields, Geumryong gets into a fight with the neighboring young man Kokibong, but accidentally kills him. Geum-ryong is sentenced to three years in prison. Meanwhile, Go Young-ran, who is engaged to Geum-ryong, runs away from home because her parents force her to marry someone else. Geum-ryong, who has been released from prison, finds Yeong-ran, but she has become a bar clerk. However, seeing Yeong-ran who is still firmly guarding Jeongjo, she starts anew with Yeong-ran.

hmmm no my book has a diffirent story. It's about korean peasants, new government gives them their own land and all of them are happy af (at least in the beginning) and also all of this "SK is bad because they're capitalists" stuff

Oh I've googled it again and it's actually called "Soil" in English. Sorry, my bad :D

Skyesinger:
How about reading "American Gods". That one is real good. Also a lot to think about

Should I read something else from Niel Gaiman if I didn't like American Gods?

Evil_Deed:

Hm... definitely not "Anansi Boys" cause that's a side story to American Gods. It depends on what you didn't like: the story itself or how the story was told or the style of language the author is using and so on. I haven't read much of Gaiman either cause I don't like half the stories meaning they are not that interesting. He has some lighter reading books, don't remember the name, some cooperations with other authors.

Maybe you'll enjoy the series "American Gods" more? Sometimes it's just a problem of imagination or visualisation when reading a more difficult book. It currently has 3 seasons with a 4th coming... hm... probably sometime 2022.

Regarding soil: Oh, so it is a North Korean book. No wonder it's all about communism and stuff. XD Though North Korea is only 5% communism, 44% dictatorship and 51% nepotism, it all bordering on monarchy. *sigh*

Evil_Deed:

He has a wide range of works, so I would recommend giving him a shot. He does graphic novels, prose, and tv if I remember correctly. His voice is a bit unique so if that's what you don't like, then maybe not, but I would say give his works a chance. Sandman (a graphic novel series) is a fairly popular work of his. I haven't read it yet, but just because it carries a ton of weight in alternative comics, I've been meaning to read it for a while. 

pepi:

Hello guys! I am pretty new to MDL and today I discovered this club totally by chance and I would love to join it.

Currently I am not reading anything, but I would like to start One Last Stop by Casey Mcquiston!

Hopefully I would be accepted in this community 'cause I would love to rant talk about the books I read :P

Thank you and have a nice day! Stay safe and drink loads of water :D

Welcome! It's always nice hearing people rant share their thoughts about books that they've read :)