kura2ninja 

GREAT choices! P.G. Wodehouse is one of my favorites!! And Nancy Mitford is wonderful as well. If you haven't had a chance, find the Mitford sister biography, I think it may be the Sisters. What an interesting family. And anything by Nancy's contemporary, Evelyn Waugh.

violetfleuri:
And anything by Nancy's contemporary, Evelyn Waugh.

I'm definitely going to read Brideshead Revisited when I have the chance. Any other books you'd like to recommend from early 20th British writers? (I'm eyeing Ford Madox Ford, but I'm still not quite sure.)

Completed a book this month YAYYY

Rating: 4.2/5

I love Victoria's writing. i think she brings life to such a common tale of adventure. i know the book was quite popular when it came out but not right now as it fits the general crowd's description for a lot of YA fantasy. nonetheless, i'm glad i bought it and you should give it a try if you're getting into YA fantasy or stories of multiverses and magic. in a way, he's like doctor strange except younger and has more coats.

favorite quote:

"Too little and he'd be seen as prey, Too much and he'd been seen as prize"

violetfleuri:

I just finished a book called Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick. I will affectionately refer to it as historical lady smut, as I discovered, after the fact, that the author works in both historical and romantic fiction. It was the story of Empress Mathilda, daughter of King Henry I of England. I don't feel better for having read it. I'm going to jump out of the 1100's and in to a different part of history next. 

my friend read this and said the exact same thing??

Hi y'all, hope everyone is well! June was a great reading month for me - I read several books and almost all were worth my time :) 

Setting aside nonfiction, my go-to genres are usually mystery and romance, with some literary classics thrown in. I wanted to branch out a bit in 2022, and one of my reading goals for the year is to read more fantasy and sci fi, and Dune and The Fellowship of the Ring are my contributions to this goal. Though we're now at the midway point in the year, I'm still hoping I can complete both series by year-end. Though quite different, I enjoyed both books immensely; The Fellowship of the Ring started me on an epic adventure and Dune took me by the hand to witness the making of a man, a legend. (4 out of 5 stars for both books)

Like kura2ninja, I read Wodehouse this month and loved it.  Mine was Psmith, Journalist, the third of his books I've read. I definitely plan to continue with his oeuvre; I got a cheap collection ($0.49 at Amazon) of his public domain works and I'll be enjoying it slowly :)

On the classics front, I read The Scarlet Letter and liked it a lot more than I thought I would, though the supernatural parts were a bit much for me. But I loved how redemptive it was in the end. I also tried Jonathan Swift for the first time; nothing major, just a tiny book from the Penguin Little Black Classics collection, called A Modest Proposal, and contains the eponymous essay and a couple other short works. I don't know if it was my mood at the time but I'm thinking that Swift's brand of satire may not suit me.

My post is already in the TL;DR category but I wanted to mention a great nonfiction book I read, Building a Second Brain (by Tiago Forte); it's about personal knowledge management based on the CODE method (capture-organize-distill-express). It's not simply about the practical steps but he gets down into the whys and you can see how it makes total sense to do it this way ... at least, it made sense to me :)

I read several more books than I mentioned here but I'll be nice to y'all and not mention them all xD Anyway, here's wishing everyone a great reading month in July!

G'day, my awesome book clubbers! ?

Hope you all had a good time with books and dramaland last month!

Sharing my reading update for...

June 2022: The Verifiers

Finally completed, this "mashup" novel unexpectedly leans on the heavier side with a generous dose of romantic entanglements amidst a high-tech premise that forms the mainstay of the plot. Obviously the writer draws inspiration from her love of all things Jane Austen, overall it's not bad but the second half is rather more exciting than the slow start.

The infusion of humour into what eventually becomes a convoluted and complex storytelling could've been executed better though, imho.

July 2022: Ministry of Moral Panic

For this month, I'll kickoff with an anthology of short stories I came across last week while browsing at the local bookstore. Admittedly the title caught my attention lol.

Always in the mood for humour, let's see if the content's as good as the title :D

Have a lovely month ahead while enjoying your books and dramas!  <3

Wasn't in the mood to read much in hot June here, so I'll go back to a series enjoyed reading before =>

Ian McDonald's "Luna" series, three books until now. Titles should be similar in English.

I'd give the whole series 4 out 5 stars. If you are up to some SciFi - Game of Thrones - thingy with Brasilian families fighting each other about love, business and settlements on the moon, that is for you.

Ian McDonald is one of my favourite authors regarding SciFi as he always does well researched cultural aspects of such 'worlds' while keeping it fun to read with very captivating descriptions of the settings and happening.  

Book Update for June-July:

This month, I re-read one of my fave comfort-reading books, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Next, I read a collection of stories under the (translated) title "Outside, Life is Colourful" from Amanda Michalopoulou, a well-known Greek author, and started one more: (translated title) "Bad Weather".
Not a bad outcome for June! 

5/5 stars
3,5/5 stars
currently reading

During July, I plan to finish the book I've started last week and then delve into mystery-crime investigation stories again!

Have a great reading month, dear Book Club family <3

I have one more TNH book I'm working on now. 

For the month of June, I continued with contemporary French literature with three novels and an investigation by the journalist Florence Aubenas.

In "L'homme des bois" (the man of the woods) by Pierric Bailly, the author evokes the death of his father after a mysterious fall in a forest in the Jura, the story portrays a man and a whole generation of the French countryside. I really liked the novel by Pierric Bailly, at first I wanted to buy his new book "Le roman de Jim" but I had exceeded my book budget of the month, so I took his previous novel which was in paperback and I was not disappointed it is a moving and uncompromising portrait of a humble man,  committed and sometimes a difficult person.

"Feu" (Fire) by Maria Pourchet is inspired by the theme of « Madame Bovary », the figure of the adulterous woman of French literature. Laure, in her forties, married university teacher and mother of two girls is bored in her life, so she begins a love passion with Clément, a 50-year-old single, living with his dog and working in finance. Since the two characters have such different lives, they don't really understand each other. I found the style quite remarkable, both ironic and fine, and the situations often seemed very true to me. If I had to put a little downside, I would say that I find the end quite brutal.

Connemara by Nicholas Mathieu also takes up the theme of Madame Bovary (which decidedly always inspires, it’s a must read ?). In "Connemara" Hélène who is almost 40 years old has succeeded, she has a life that could be called perfect, beautiful children, a beautiful career, a beautiful house; but also a big feeling of waste. She will then meet an acquaintance of her youth, Christophe, who has never left their small provincial town, is divorced and has a thankless job. They will then begin a hidden relationship that will take us back to their youth. So I am a little mixed on this novel, at the beginning I admit that I found that it lacked energy and also a little feelings but then we really get attached to the characters, I felt the nostalgia and I found the description of the social fractures well done, I recommend it anyway!

"L'inconnu de la poste" (the unknown of the post office) is an investigation by Florence Aubenas into the murder of Catherine Burgod in 2008 in Montréal-la Cluse, and the police investigation that followed. The book is really well written, modest and very human, it gives a face at all the protagonists of this sad story, but also describes a France that suffers, I was really touched.

I'm playing with a template and made 2 compact badges for this club, hope they look okay?

Rien:
I'm playing with a template and made 3 compact badges for this club, hope they look okay?

Thank you for making those badges and sharing them. They're very lovely :D

Rien:
I'm playing with a template and made 3 compact badges for this club, hope they look okay?

They are lovely! Thank you very much for sharing them with us :)

penel:

They are lovely! Thank you very much for sharing them with us :)

kura2ninja:

Thank you for making those badges and sharing them. They're very lovely :D

You're welcome, glad you like them. I will probably make and share more.

Rien:

You're welcome, glad you like them. I will probably make and share more.

Looking forward to them!