Hello~ officially joining just so I can talk about the Marquis from Journey to Love. I was not expecting to see this desperate side of him, and it seems like he's got that toxic love trait that is so popular on the feeds now!! His eccentric devotion really keeps taking me by surprise and makes me more curious about him. Anyone else having fun watching his storyline? 

I loved him in this movie, I don't know if we can call him Villain..........I guess sad villain? But really recommend this movie:- The Negotiation 

Watching A Journey to Love still:

Wooooooow I was not expecting to feel for the Right State Emissary of the Scarlet Guard, but the writing...... it was so good. The set up of how they all die and disappear with no records of themselves, and then the only thing she wanted after death was to be known and honored????????? T_T I felt that. I felt thatttttt. All she wanted was a better life for herself... now granted she did betray like 47 people to do that and then got a bunch of other people killed and all that but like damn.... I felt that LMAO the things these writers get us feeling sometimes XD 

Edit: is the spoiler button working or is it not hiding the spoiler at all?

LiN:
If You could think back, who was the first antagonistic character that took Your interest more than any hero character and why? Was it because You could somehow relate to them?

Until now, was there any certain character You have in mind when observing other villains/ antagonists that you un/consciously compare them to? Or do You not pay much attention to similarities?

Would You also just enjoy an extremely good-looking, beautiful, and smart villain/antagonist whose background or character consistency is faulty?

Do You think female and non-binary villains/antagonists are underrepresented?

Ohh how fun~! 

1) in dramaland, the first would probably be the villain from Faith. They're much more common now, but at the time I didn't know many villains that had real goals and something they were trying to overcome. I was used to villains just being evil because that was their role in a story. But Ki Cheol had a psychological struggle that influenced his decisions, a deep hunger to fill the void of loneliness and despair that he didn't know how to fill in a healthy way. I was surprised by how much he felt like a real person, a terrible, hurt, and cruel person, but a person nonetheless. He was someone who needed help and didn't know how to ask for it or how to get it. In some ways, he was even pitiful to me. 

2) Possibly? At the moment I don't have any I compare others too. Most recently it was Villanelle from the international show Killing Eve. While watching Story of Kunning Palace, the ML has his lover stab him to show the desperation of his affection for the FL. It was a nice twist for most people probably, but because I'd seen Killing Eve, and even Our Flag Means Death... they just did it so much better and its hard not to compare them. Killing Eve for its intensity and Our Flag Means Death for is surprisingly romantic element. 

3) I mean... I guess? But I think I'd get bored and disappointed. They might be nice to look at sometimes, but I prefer strong characterization. Whats fun about good villains is the ways their characters compel me, how getting to know them gets a reaction out of me. Poor characterization and especially inconsistency can get me frustrated enough to drop no matter how pretty the cast is. Combine that with poor acting? Yeesh....*

4) In my corner of dramaland, yes. But, the antagonists that I really admire, Mishil from Queen Seondeok, Xiao Qin Shi from Story of Ming Lan, Consort Xian from Story of Yanxi Palace, and Cho Sun from Sungkyunkwan Scandal were so fun. There aren't many antagonists in general that are so memorable to me, regardless of the gender. So while those genders are underrepresented, that doesn't mean the rest are written to be interesting enough in my opinion. 

* That being said, I am a little disappointed by Li Tongguang in A Journey to Love. Like, I do love when they switch the gender for tropes, but this is not a trope I enjoy. So you know how sometimes the FL will forget all of her goals and her characterization will shatter in favor of the direction of the plot for the ML? Li Tong Guang used to be devoted to ending wars and maintaining peace, but when the FL came back, all of that dedication and vision suddenly vanished. I get that its supposed to show us the intensity of his devotion for her, but it feels frustrating. He had also previously mentioned that he didn't really care if he was a marquis or not, so when Ren Ruyi was like "If you love me, get rid of your title," part of me believed he really might! But he seems attached to this identity now and I don't feel like I completly understand why. 

Like, I could read between the lines right? I could say that he needs this power to feel useful to the FL or something considering the way his mind seems to work, but I wish we could feel that more, I wish we could see that more. I wish that his goal for peace conflicted with his devotion with the FL, I wish we could see the differest aspects of his character interact with each other, but instead he's becoming a bit mindless. 

And I know that's the point, that's the goal for the writers, but it was a bit disappointing for me. At the very least, if they really wanted to go that route, they could have had other side characters continue to remind him of his original goal, to maintian peace, and have them struggle with him to make that his priority again and put that pressure on him. Though, considering the montogue of the prince dying, his poor writing might be intentional as the writers are trying to give most of the screentime to the main couple. I wonder if Li Tongguang's characterization was orginally better made but cut down in the editing room or something. I want to believe it because I am a bit disappointed despite his pretty face. And I do enjoy his character, he continues get me gasping in "Omg no he didn't" ways but :/ At least the rest of the writing is pretty good. Maybe thats why I can still enjoy him? But that's also why I'm confused about why his writing in particular feels weaker. ah well....

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee how do I join?

OMG!!! You guys even have a banner of Kim Min Jung!!!! I AM SO IN.

She was the first ever villain I fell in love with as a character, in Hello! Fellow Citizens. I also adored her in  the Devil Judge. Other villains/antagonists I found very impactful are Seo Yool (Lee Junho) from Good Manager, Gu Qing Jang from League of Nobleman, and Di Feisheng from Mysterious Lotus Casebook

Oh right, I can't forget Noble Consort Gao from Story of Yanxi Palace!!!!!!!!!

OMG I want to join! 

Some of my favs are Run Yu from Ashes of Love, Gong Yuanzhi from My Journey to You (not a villian but creepy enough), the crazy woman from The Blue Whisper, etc. 

This thread truly explains my feelings for a lot of drama I watched! Can I join this cult club please.

If You could think back, who was the first antagonistic character that took Your interest more than any hero character and why? Was it because You could somehow relate to them?

I can't really remember, honestly; but with asian romantic drama, I am an easy victim of second-male-lead syndrome. Perhaps it was that guy that was played by Lee Joon Gi in My Girl. Why? Because he deserves to be loved too. The story did not really justify why he didn't get the girl. Seems just a matter of luck and because the scriptwriter told so. They demand a beautiful boy to pine for the girl and remain a sad boy until the end. Huft. Maybe I can relate to some extent, because fate can surely be cruel sometimes.

Until now, was there any certain character You have in mind when observing other villains/ antagonists that you un/consciously compare them to? Or do You not pay much attention to similarities?

None, I guess I tend to appreciate each character with their unique backstory.. unless there are a certain case of unusual similarities between the two that I can't help but notice and compare.

Would You also just enjoy an extremely good-looking, beautiful, and smart villain/antagonist whose background or character consistency is faulty?

Yes please, an eye candy villain is my guilty pleasure. Ahahah.

Do You think female and non-binary villains/antagonists are underrepresented?

There's quite a lot of female antagonists and villainess, I think. Especially in romance genre where the stories are usually from female point of view, a female antagonist is always there. Non-binary antagonists, though, I can't remember if I found any in asian shows.. maybe also because I rarely watch a LGBTQ asian drama/movie.

By the way, the terms villain appreciation is kind of reminding me of otome isekai stories.. There's  a popular trope where a villainess is reincarnated and trying to redeem her wrongdoings in the past life. It is slightly overused by now, particularly in webtoon (many are adapted into drama/movie), but I always find it charming.

cdramaqueen:

OMG I want to join! 

Some of my favs are Run Yu from Ashes of Love, Gong Yuanzhi from My Journey to You (not a villian but creepy enough), the crazy woman from The Blue Whisper, etc. 

I totally empathize with Run Yu from Ashes of Love, that I couldn't care less for the main couple..

Like, seriously writers, you showed us his heartbreaking back story and all, and you expect us to turn our back on Run Yu just like that? It's just not working for me. Poor Run Yu. 🥺

my best : Tan Jian Ci in "lost you forever" ! i want his character Xiang Liu to be with the FL so much !!!

🥺🥺 Sadly haven't visited any form for long. 

Out of all I have watched so far this year .. These are few mentions .... not something out of ordinary (character wise)... but screen presence make them good ones.

Had a much better pic .. but lazy enough to post.

This rough looking not so gentlemen looked sh...mokingly hot 😍 ... more or less you have seen characters like him often .. a character high on power ... Childe and Yun Ju also were good but this man has my undivided attention  ..  

This man has such a great presence on screen ... have Loved him for quite a while.

Jung Soo Min also played a manipulative character well ... but they made her a bit irrelevant at times ... but I think she can be considered.

This show in itself was a wild ride but these two ... 😍

KC Drama LOVER:
I loved him in this movie, I don't know if we can call him Villain..........I guess sad villain? But really recommend this movie:- The Negotiation 

Now this calls for a rewatch😍😍🤡 I'm all in for rough looking men .... ooops!! 🤡🤡 (Don't judge me🥺🥺)

Why would we judge you? We are like you gurl! But just in case you are emo like me have a tissue box beside you ;)