Is it possible to live in korea and not knowing how to read or write their language. Only a few basic words. Also how well known is english over there? and how much would the expenses for a week? (not including food and travel fare. Just rent and water bills and electricity bills etc..
After living there for a short time, you'll pick up the language on your own. It will be a very quick way to learn. It's called "language immersion". The more you hear and speak the language in a natural environment the faster you will pick it up. Of course, the theory can be utilized in a simulated environment (classroom, self study programs, etc.) , as well.

English is a major part of the curriculum over in South Korea. Kids in school learn English as it's mandatory until a certain grade level. In South Korea, Seoul and other big cities will have more people who understand English. I'm not sure about the smaller towns, though. I doubt you will find many English speakers (if any) in the more rural areas.

Sorry, not really sure about the expenses. Basically you can estimate value USD1.00=KRW1,000.

P.S. I understand this is an international community. Since I'm American I just assumed to tell you how I figure general value from USD to KRW. You can always use this site to help with more accurate conversion http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/.
from what ive heard and others have told me who have studied there, not a lot of english is spoken, i mean yeah they learn it but i think you'll find its mainly students but older people and others like shop owners woudnt know it so well so if i were you id learn the basics before you ever plan on going to korea or any country really it does help out a lot plus seeing as its korea id learn mannerisms too like respecting elders although im pretty sure you wont go around insulting them lol as for expenses ive heard it can be cheaper like health care and stuff is cheaper it depends really im not all that knowledgeable on this
you should check out eatyourkimchi.com they have a lot of videos that address your questions. if you are unfamilliar with these two Simon and Martina are canadians who went to korea 5 yrs ago to teach and have lived their ever since. they have a very popular vlog.

http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/can-you-get-by-in-korea-without-speaking-korean/#.UmWDemTD_4Y

http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/is-it-expensive-in-korea/#.UmWDs2TD_4Y
are you going to live there? Jealous? Yes, I am :(
I would like to go ti Korea too...I'm so jealous ;)
me too so jealous. lol
Hm, how long are you planning to stay in Korea? If you're planning on just staying for a few weeks, then a hostel or a hotel would probably suit your needs best. It's difficult to calculate rent and utilities for a week since it's done on a monthly basis like in most countries. If you're thinking long term, the cheapest option is a goshiwon (고시원), which is basically a closet and will cost you in Seoul about 200,000 won a month without having to put down key money (보증금). The more popular option would be wolse (월세), which is usually done for one-rooms (원룸), officetels (오피스텔), and villas (빌라), and it involves a regular monthly payment in addition to putting down key money. For a decent place, you can expect to pay about 600,000 won a month. Key money is another issue. That can range from 3,000,000 won to 20,000,000 won depending on the size and location of the home. Key money is crazy expensive in Seoul--that's why most Koreans in Seoul live at home with their parents, saving up so that they can afford to move out when they marry. The last option, and the most expensive, is jeonse (전세), and with this option there is no monthly rent. The downside is that the key money is RIDICULOOOOUUUUSSSSS, usually from around 20,000,000 won to upwards of 100,000,000 won. With the 전세 system, you're actually giving the landlord kind of a loan---they take your money and invest it somewhere else, but you get your money back in full once your lease is up. I have no idea why anyone would want to take this housing option, but I've been told that it saves money in the long run since you're not paying a monthly rent. (Also, the only option that allows you to rent on a monthly basis is a goshiwon. The other two are usually year by year leases.) As for utilities: my electric bill is higher in the summer because of my air conditioner---the highest that has been was about 10,000 won. Gas is definitely more expensive. For me, during the warmer months, it can be as low as 900 won. During the colder months, when I pump up my floor heating and roll around in the warmth, my gas bill has been around 200,000 won. Some buildings also have additional fees, like if you have a security guard, you'd pay a security fee, or some others I know pay a month fee for their elevator. All of that applies to Seoul where I live. I think other cities might be cheaper. The country side is definitely the cheapest, but it's kind of dull.
Thank you for everyones reply and input. Im planning on living in Korea next year for about 6 months. If i dont find it to diffculty to live there, then perhaps another 6 months. What occupation would a foreigner about be able to handle beside english teacher and tutor and general labor? I have backgrounds in I.T (Digital media, System admin, tech support etc.) and retails.
Well, I'm Korean, but I grew up in the U.S, and have only been to Korea a few times, but I'll help the best I can. Like everyone above said, most people in Korea do speak English, if limited. Also, I'm fairly certain that the cost of living in Korea is higher than the U.S. One last thing, they take recycling VERY seriously over there - in fact I think you can be fined if you don't recycle correctly. Over in Korea, they basically recycle everything - plastic food wrappers to pizza boxes. I'm not sure if this is still true, but I vaguely remember my mom telling me that there is actually a standard type of garbage bag, and that you have to pay for the amount of garbage you put out..? I think she said it's to ensure that people actually recycle. Not sure about that one, so if you want to, check it. :) Anyway, hope I helped some.
Kromesta wrote: Thank you for everyones reply and input. Im planning on living in Korea next year for about 6 months. If i dont find it to diffculty to live there, then perhaps another 6 months.
What occupation would a foreigner about be able to handle beside english teacher and tutor and general labor? I have backgrounds in I.T (Digital media, System admin, tech support etc.) and retails.

This site gives a really good idea of living costs in Seoul. Another big city might be a little cheaper for some things, and a small town is probably significantly cheaper for rent and groceries and the like.

http://koreabridge.net/post/cost-living-seoul-korea-2012-breeze

As for working... does your country have a work study visa for Korea? If they do, then you are a little more free in what you do, but without Korean language abilities you may find yourself doing mostly general labor.

If your country does not have a work study visa then you need to get a work visa to work legally, which means you need a job first. English teaching visas are only available for people from certain countries (America, Canada, England, Australia, New Zeland, South Africa, Ireland). For other jobs, again you'll be more limited if you don't speak Korean. There are sometimes IT related jobs posted here:

http://koreajobfinder.com/

And you can find other similar sites with a simple google search.

Of course if you are ethnically Korean (adoptee or 2nd, 3rd etc generation) there is a special visa...