goldenseal50 wrote: After seeing the faces they make when they drink Soju, I personally have no desire to try it :p.

I do want to try Sake sometime before I die though. Or even the Korean milky colored wine..is it rice wine too? Because they act like it tastes good.

Isn't all alcohol bad tasting lol. Soju is actually not that bad its kind of sweet. Both Soju and makgeolli are rice wine. I still haven't tried makgeolli but I heard its fermented that's why its white.
Nana87 wrote: Isn't all alcohol bad tasting lol. Soju is actually not that bad its kind of sweet. Both Soju and makgeolli are rice wine. I still haven't tried makgeolli but I heard its fermented that's why its white.

Jack Daniels tastes good. :D Also there are some sweet wines and liqueur's that taste really good.

(yes! makgeolli! that's the name)
I want to try soju so bad, but it's impossible to get because here in this country where I live alcohol is heavily controlled by the state. Independent distributors are not allowed & there's a strong limit on the amount of alcohol you can bring into the country for personal consumption. So I have to wait until I go to London or the States or Korea to try it. And wow $7 - $12 for a bottle of Soju in the US??? In Korea it costs $2! Omo...
MrsLeeSeoJin wrote: I want to try soju so bad, but it's impossible to get because here in this country where I live alcohol is heavily controlled by the state. Independent distributors are not allowed & there's a strong limit on the amount of alcohol you can bring into the country for personal consumption.

So I have to wait until I go to London or the States or Korea to try it. And wow $7 - $12 for a bottle of Soju in the US??? In Korea it costs $2! Omo...

I think the price varies. I usually see soju go for 3-7$ and I live in California.
goldenseal50 wrote: Jack Daniels tastes good. :D Also there are some sweet wines and liqueur's that taste really good.

(yes! makgeolli! that's the name)

I you can drink Jack Daniel's you can most definitely drink Soju. I personally can't drink JD, its too strong for me lol.
I should try Soju since I'm on my way to Asia yey... But beer I don't like the smell. disgusting!. I rather drink tequila than Beer..
I have tried much and more time This liquid (SOJU)
I just tried Soju for the first time yesterday, and I liked it^^ Bought it from an onlineshop here in Germany for 4€. They only had one brand, but Chamisul Original seems to be the one I see around the most, so I would have chosen that anyway. Talking of Soju, I always remember that scene from Rooftop Prince where they have whipped cream after a soju shot, and I'm curious if that's a common thing... Does anyone happen to know?^^
Thank you. I put in my order. If only I had some Korean BBQ & kimchi to go with it.
HeidiLyon wrote: You are going to want to go with either Chamisul Original Soju or Fresh. The Original is almost identical to what you can get at the side street cafes in Korea. Whatever you do, do not get TyKu Soju, it's Japanese and not Korean and is made from Barley and Rice. The biggesst difference between Korean soju and others is that Korean soju is made from Sweet Potatoes, Tapioca and Rice with a little bit of barley in some.

FYI, get 2 or 3 bottles! One is never enough :)

Thank you. If only i had some Korean BBQ & Kimchi to go with it. Those are next on my list.
Chikara67 wrote: i buy Chamisul Original Soju or Fresh as those are the ones available to me here, while i like soju i will admit its probably not for everyone

Thanks, that's what I ordered
Nana87 wrote: Love somaek (soju and beer) :)

I'll definitely have to try that. Would Heineken or Presidente taste good with it? Those are the only beers I like.
Is soju strong like Jamaican white rum?
I found a store in Koreatown in NY and I think that one is the same or at least similar to the ones in the drama. But the taste I would say is very similar to vodka. There's no big differences if you ask me ;))
Herbalis wrote: Is soju strong like Jamaican white rum?

Well, I'm a rumhead so if it is then I can manage it.
My korean friend who lives in Korea tells me soju taste more like vodka though.