It's got the same sorta feel as vodka, not sure how to put it, but the aftertaste is different than anything...might be closer to saki. Rice Wine is really good too. Definitely try it with beer if you like beer, of the two you mentioned I'd go Heineken. It's REALLY good that way. Topping it bit with a bit of ginger ale (I prefer it over coke) is also awesome. I hope you enjoy it when you get it! Let us know what you thought :)
Hmm the way you describe it with beer or ginger ale sounds good, HeidiLyon! I'll definitely give that a try! :)
Herbalis wrote: I'll definitely have to try that. Would Heineken or Presidente taste good with it? Those are the only beers I like.

Umm I don't know I usually have it with the Korean Hite Beer.
MrsLeeSeoJin wrote: Well, I'm a rumhead so if it is then I can manage it.
My korean friend who lives in Korea tells me soju taste more like vodka though.

lol...Who yah tell...mi luv mi rum bad!
HeidiLyon wrote: It's got the same sorta feel as vodka, not sure how to put it, but the aftertaste is different than anything...might be closer to saki. Rice Wine is really good too.

Definitely try it with beer if you like beer, of the two you mentioned I'd go Heineken. It's REALLY good that way. Topping it bit with a bit of ginger ale (I prefer it over coke) is also awesome.

I hope you enjoy it when you get it! Let us know what you thought :)

Ok..I definitely have to try it with both. You got me all giddy ...lol...I can't wait.
Nana87 wrote: I think the price varies. I usually see soju go for 3-7$ and I live in California.

I know here in Toronto it runs about 7 dollars a bottle but the only place you can buy alcohol is at the government run stores..so that might be why the price is like that
Where in Canada? Drive across the border! LOL I'll find you a Korean market in any state on the border and tell ya where to go get it cheap, bring home a case :P
HeidiLyon wrote: Where in Canada? Drive across the border! LOL I'll find you a Korean market in any state on the border and tell ya where to go get it cheap, bring home a case :P

i'm in Toronto. what i havent been able to find here yet is Bokbunja ju...i'm really curious about it
I'm in a state of shock that so many people actually like soju. I mean, I'll drink it down if I want to get wasted quickly and cheaply, but to say that I enjoy it... BLEGH. Although I do love 소맥 (soju and beer "cocktail"). Even most of my Korean friends can't stand it. They drink it more as a necessary evil that comes along with being Korean. A much better alternative I would suggest to those who don't like the harshness of soju is a drink called 청하. Much softer and smoother. Does not mix well with beer though, but definitely nicer to take a shot of than soju. I'm not sure how easily available it is outside of Korea, but there's always a bottle of it on the table when I go out to eat.
Chikara67 wrote: I know here in Toronto it runs about 7 dollars a bottle but the only place you can buy alcohol is at the government run stores..so that might be why the price is like that

Damn, liquor stores in Canada are state run too??? I guess the comparison to Scandinavia isn't so far off. It's been so long since I was in Canada that I can't remember these things.
I have wasted so much money on Soju, pretending i'm in a korean drama with my friends haha. For me the best tasting is Chamisul Fresh! actually, it's not that great tasting, but it doesn't taste as bad as the other ones i've found. Jinro is great if you want to get wasted quickly, in my opinion. But really, any one you buy, you will be fine :)
boredandtwitchy wrote: I'm in a state of shock that so many people actually like soju. I mean, I'll drink it down if I want to get wasted quickly and cheaply, but to say that I enjoy it... BLEGH. Although I do love 소맥 (soju and beer "cocktail"). Even most of my Korean friends can't stand it. They drink it more as a necessary evil that comes along with being Korean. A much better alternative I would suggest to those who don't like the harshness of soju is a drink called 청하. Much softer and smoother. Does not mix well with beer though, but definitely nicer to take a shot of than soju. I'm not sure how easily available it is outside of Korea, but there's always a bottle of it on the table when I go out to eat.

What would 'Cheong Ha' be in English??? Or perhaps like 'soju', 'cheong ha' is also 'cheong ha' in English? Some people here are studying Korean, but I doubt the majority of MDL'ers read Korean, muchless know how to pronounce the Korean letters should they want to ask for the drink at the market or liquor store.
MrsLeeSeoJin wrote: Damn, liquor stores in Canada are stated run too??? I guess the comparison to Scandinavia isn't so far off. It's been so long since I was in Canada that I can't remember these things.

in most provinces yes they are run by the government which affects the prices taxes and such are usually included price but that doesnt make it any cheaper
PrettyCarEye wrote: What would 'Cheong Ha' be in English??? Or perhaps like 'soju', 'cheong ha' is also 'cheong ha' in English? Some people here are studying Korean, but I doubt the majority of MDL'ers read Korean, muchless know how to pronounce the Korean letters should they want to ask for the drink at the market or liquor store.

I'm not really sure if there is an English translation for it. The main website has it romanized as "chungha", so that might be the way to ask for it^^
Chikara67 wrote: i'm in Toronto. what i havent been able to find here yet is Bokbunja ju...i'm really curious about it

Manhattan is a car drive away from you... few hrs, but doable! In K-town there is a restaurant that sells food/beer/wine etc for takeout as well, Woorijip Authentic Korean Food, and they have bokbunja in all flavors right at the checkout counter! Runs about $12 a bottle. You're lucky to live within driving distance of K-town, you get food, markets, karaoke rooms, kpop concerts, everything over there!