I want to try soju. I found a distributor in Queens, NY; but they have different types of soju's.
I would prefer trying one that is similar to the soju that you see on the dramas/movies.
If that is not possible, can someone recommend the best tasting?
The distributor is not in my state so, I have to order it online.
I need recommendations from my soju drinkers.... lol

Here is the link of the distributor's selection of soju:

http://www.leisers.com/results?countryid=®ionid=&catid=1609
You are going to want to go with either Chamisul Original Soju or Fresh. The Original is almost identical to what you can get at the side street cafes in Korea. Whatever you do, do not get TyKu Soju, it's Japanese and not Korean and is made from Barley and Rice. The biggesst difference between Korean soju and others is that Korean soju is made from Sweet Potatoes, Tapioca and Rice with a little bit of barley in some. FYI, get 2 or 3 bottles! One is never enough :)
The predominant soju where i was in Korea was Jinro soju the second one on the list. The label is different than the green one i remember (it was 20 years ago tho).
I don't have too much knowledge in this field because I have never been to Korea. But in America when I go drinking with my Korean friends or if we go to the 노래방 together, we always drink Chamisul Fresh Soju. I never bought it; my friends did. But they are Korean, and I trust their opinion.
I've tried the Jinro one and it's like a cross between sambuca and vodka with a weaker aftertaste. I hate sambuca and vodka so soju is a better option for me despite not liking the aftertaste. But I learnt from eatyourkimchi if you pour half a shot glass of coke the top up with soju it tastes better so I will try it next time. Haven't tried the other brands so I can't comment on those. As yes as HeidiLyon says one is never enough.
i buy Chamisul Original Soju or Fresh as those are the ones available to me here, while i like soju i will admit its probably not for everyone
It is a bit of an acquired taste LOL. After a couple of shots, it really is almost sweet. However, there is a reason there is soup an such on a table when drinking soju, immediately take a sip of a soda/beer/soup and it will taste ALOT better. Just an FYI if you don't like the taste right off :)
I love the stuff, I just wish it cost closer to what it costs in Korea lol
LOL Ditto! Though I have a Korean market (huge) near here and I get it for about $7 a bottle so it's not too bad.
yeah that is about what i pay for it here if i go to the liquor store that carries it..so its not so bad but when i order it at the Korean Restaurant...its 12 dollars a bottle..that hurts..but its so good
Love somaek (soju and beer) :)
I haven't tried that yet...maybe because i'm not a big beer fan
Chikara67 wrote: I haven't tried that yet...maybe because i'm not a big beer fan

I'm not a huge fan of beer either but it taste pretty good. You must try it :)
ok i'll make a note to try it the next time i pick up some soju :)
After seeing the faces they make when they drink Soju, I personally have no desire to try it :p. I do want to try Sake sometime before I die though. Or even the Korean milky colored wine..is it rice wine too? Because they act like it tastes good.