This is probably just me answering my own question but I'm curious why. I mean, on Australian NF they are starting to add a lot of Korean dramas, even popular ones. But when I search Japanese ones I can barely find any. The last ones I watched were Good Morning Call and Switched.

Is it because jdramas are not as popular as kdramas? It seems there are a lot of hit and miss dramas throughout the seasons and it takes months and months for someone to pick up a series to sub it. I guess because they are fansubbers and not big sites with a team like kissasian.

I'm really after some recent romance jdramas but there doesn't seem to be many at the moment.

no it has to do with copy write issues.  Basically Jdramas are illegal out side of japan and the few that are legal have had some Massive hoops jumped through to make them so.  Its just a tangled mess.  So for netflix(or hulu or Amazon Prime or Crunchyroll)..to get any, they usually have to produce them themselves

That is the sad truth of things

i use my chrome cast and my computer to watch Jdramas on my big screen in the living room.

It all boils down to Japan's strict copyright laws (the most severe in the world) and protectionist policies for all media. In the past 15 years or so, Korea has been mass-exporting its media culture in order to sustain it, and this rise coincided with the internet age so it was able to really take off abroad. Japan doesn't really see the need since it receives enough support domestically. To be blunt, they don't care about overseas markets since they make enough money in Japan. They have no interest in branching out to foreign audiences because there's no advantage or profit in it. Believe it or not, there's also a popular notion that jdramas and movies are "too Japanese" and therefore could never become popular abroad. So that also contributes I'd say. 

Plus there's the fact that streaming has only recently becoming popular in Japan. I anticipate that things will change slowly but surely as companies adapt to these new streaming services. Japanese Netflix has quite a lot of new and old dramas, so it's possible they may migrate to other Netflixes in the future. 

OldAnimeLady and Hanna have said all I wanted to say, but for extra background info, let me add this opinion piece/short sociology lesson (written by a Singaporean living in Japan):

http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/post/170074398678/nihonjinron-just-a-couple-of-thoughts-on-why

OldAnimeLady:

no it has to do with copy write issues.  Basically Jdramas are illegal out side of japan and the few that are legal have had some Massive hoops jumped through to make them so.  Its just a tangled mess.  So for netflix(or hulu or Amazon Prime or Crunchyroll)..to get any, they usually have to produce them themselves

That is the sad truth of things

i use my chrome cast and my computer to watch Jdramas on my big screen in the living room.

Thanks so much for mentioning this! For some reason I hadn't thought of using chromecast at all.

This was so interesting to read! I didn't know their copyright laws were so strict. I've wondered for a long time why jdramas don't end up on streaming apps like Netflix, and this definitely explains it - although it seems anime doesn't follow the same trend? Because Netflix seems to be increasing their anime library a lot lately.

Its all because Japan's copyright laws that prevent these J-Dramas to be shown in Netflix, when J-Dramas are put in Netflix, they are usually restricted to Japan-only, so that only Japanese viewers can watch it. And i agree with zombiehero, a lot of lot anime is well put libary compared to K-Drama which have a lot of catalouges while J-Drama puts them in regional blocked. Chinese companies are also even putting some C-Drama on its libary too.

zombiehero:

This was so interesting to read! I didn't know their copyright laws were so strict. I've wondered for a long time why jdramas don't end up on streaming apps like Netflix, and this definitely explains it - although it seems anime doesn't follow the same trend? Because Netflix seems to be increasing their anime library a lot lately. 

Anime is in a whole other category of Japanese soft power media. Anime and manga are actively promoted and sent abroad as part of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI)'s "Cool Japan Policy"  (Established 2010-ish, but has been actively working in an abstract sense since maybe as far back as 80s). This is mainly due to the huge huge following of Anime and Manga in the US that started in the 90s. 

J-Pop and TV/Movies can't be as easily localized, so they are more or less not as exportable.

Hanna:

Anime is in a whole other category of Japanese soft power media. Anime and manga are actively promoted and sent abroad as part of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI)'s "Cool Japan Policy"  (Established 2010-ish, but has been actively working in an abstract sense since maybe as far back as 80s). This is mainly due to the huge huge following of Anime and Manga in the US that started in the 90s. 

J-Pop and TV/Movies can't be as easily localized, so they are more or less not as exportable.

I had no idea about any of this, thanks so much for sharing!

Hanna:

Japan should learn about Korea about when it comes to export their Pop culture.

Here are some two videos:

I watch most my Japanese dramas on YouTube, Fastdrama, Dramacool and Amazon prime 

Everything was already said about J-dramas abroad issue, but let me add one more trivia which I found out recently:

Japan is so strict in terms of laws that when there's an on-location shoot for a drama or movie, bystanders are not allowed to take pictures of their fave actors(!). If you want to get a picture, you have to buy one in a special shop....

TBH i would prefer "restrictions" over "exposure" as it feels more worth to watch/pursue jdrama that way. Imagine rare stuffs, or limited edition products. Of course it would be nice to have it legally available worldwide.

The lack of availability of subbing companies who take up projects for movies to be cast on Netflix is also less because of the rapid onset of free fansubbing may also be the issue I feel.

I guess it because: 1. Japanese dorama is not so popular as K.Drama. Include in Netflix curator's mind :D Even if a dorama is so great...but it will be a miss. But at least you can still find good rating / popular dorama in VIU (a few). TBH..dorama have quite little place in many legal streaming site. the streaming site is now dominated by kdrama and c drama. dorama and thai drama are on same level now.

2. its cinematography doesnt meet Netflix's standard. Many good cinematography doramas was produced for both TV and streaming site. Some people complained about the quality of dorama, the story of dorama is usually great but the visual is dull. the tv dorama is like a filler whereas the CF is the main show in tv. you are probably know that cf/advertisement in Japan is a top notch. Compares to KDrama that aims to be a great show visually and story, it no strange if it passed Netflix's standard. It makes Netflix wont hesitate to buy licenses to stream Kdrama. Still, Netflix  does its custom to co-produce drama with local korean producer and director, of course, with Netflix quality standard.

the translation and subbing matter for dorama is no problem for LEGAL STREAMING SITES. there are tons of paid translator. and those sites have money. 

btw I guess Kissasian is an illegal streaming site? CMIIW not sure if they have a translator team. I had watch some vide with engsub there and find the translation is copypaste of subtitle made by fansubber. many illegal streaming just ripped off fansubber works. what so upsetting is.. they dont pay the fansubber for their hardwork.