I'm surprised no one posted a thread about this yet...

http://mydramalist.com/japanese-drama/6182/amachan

Amachan is about a young girl, Tokyo native Aki who visits her mother's hometown of Kitasanriku during a summer vacation. She falls in love with the ocean and the simplicity and beauty of the town. Inspired by her grandmother Natsu, she aims to become an Ama 海女 (literally "sea woman"), or a diver. Ama are traditionally women who dive into the ocean without the use of any equipment to collect uni, or sea urchins. Much to the chagrin of her mother, who left the town over twenty years before the story takes place to become a singer, they take residence in Kitasanriku so Aki can fulfill her dream.

About a quarter of the way through the series, the story takes a turn as Aki becomes enamored with being an idol, so she returns to Tokyo to follow her new dream.

Amachan gives a good insight into the lives of the small town folk of this seaside town in Japan. In almost every episode we see the daily activities of the town's various characters, such as the train station caption, the amber polishing Ben-san, the Ama Club, and the various other residents. This drama is part slice of life, part family drama, with a small touch of romance. It effectively utilizes flashbacks to the past which are intertwined with the current plot to develop a cohesive story. Many maybe put off by the length, but each episode is 15 minutes long. The installments aired six days a week for twenty six weeks. Each week can be considered an episode in itself, so the series is basically twenty six episodes long.

The drama became one of the most popular in Japan of the summer, winning numerous awards. It also made the exclamation "Jejeje!" very popular among the public, including variety show comedians.

It seems that the drama hasn't quite caught on yet among overseas drama fans though...On this sight alone only 9 have completed it. But, I definitely think it is worth watching! Great soundtrack, cast, acting, story, and everything. And of course, the drama has provided us with this song, which I dare you to listen to without it getting stuck in your head:

http://youtu.be/420NFSoO3-I

Thoughts? Opinions? Discuss!
I'm palnning to watch it. Is it good? Is good it emotional? Tell me :)
Rascal wrote: I'm palnning to watch it. Is it good? Is good it emotional? Tell me :)

Yes, most certainly. At heart is basically a family drama. It is also about the bonds between people of a small, close knit town. It is definitely emotional, especially towards the end.
Oooh That's the one I noticed a few MDL'ers were recently watching. I'm definitely curious about it. :)
I noticed that people were watching and liking it, so I started recently. I have only watched 4 episodes so far, but I like it. I'm not that fond of swimming, but it makes me want to put on a swimsuit and go to the ocean! Also, Aki thinks everything she eats is so delicious, it makes me curious about what those dishes taste like. :) I like the characters so far. And Koizumi Kyoko is beautiful... I don't think I would have wanted to watch a drama with so many episodes if the episodes were longer, but because they're only 15 minutes, the whole drama is only twice as long as most of the dramas I watch.
I just watched episode 41 and I love it! It's such a sweet and simple drama. Some of the characters are quite boring, but it doesn't matter because Amachan is so interesting and easy to watch.
2nd asadora i watched besides churasan amachan is very interisring and funny aki as main character is very funy and cute as well as minor character like ben-san, mizuguchi-san and yayoi-san, they create atmosphere became hilarious
Panda-san wrote: Yes, most certainly. At heart is basically a family drama. It is also about the bonds between people of a small, close knit town. It is definitely emotional, especially towards the end.

panda-san could it be you a uploader in d-addicts
sorry oot :p
occho wrote: 2nd asadora i watched besides churasan
amachan is very interisring and funny
aki as main character is very funy and cute
as well as minor character like ben-san, mizuguchi-san and yayoi-san, they create atmosphere became hilarious

Even TOSHIYA (the eccentric actor who played alongside Aki in the ama movie) is fascinating, this drama is truly alleviate its actors' level
occho wrote: panda-san could it be you a uploader in d-addicts
sorry oot :p

Nope, not me :p Thanks for the friend request though. :)

lontongstroong wrote: Even TOSHIYA (the eccentric actor who played alongside Aki in the ama movie) is fascinating, this drama is truly alleviate its actors' level

Yes I agree! He was so funny! The pelvic thrusting LOL. I was hoping they would show more of him. That same actor was in Summer Nude. They need to give him a lead role already.
lontongstroong wrote: Even TOSHIYA (the eccentric actor who played alongside Aki in the ama movie) is fascinating, this drama is truly alleviate its actors' level

Panda-san wrote: Nope, not me :p Thanks for the friend request though. :)

Yes I agree! He was so funny! The pelvic thrusting LOL. I was hoping they would show more of him. That same actor was in Summer Nude. They need to give him a lead role already.

lol toshiya, i like his style and movement very amusing
i dont know his name but i enjoyed him in Shonen merikensakku movie,he playing as aoi miyakazi boyfriend, and aoi bully him lol
I look for it and see if this is my cup of tea... we never say never...
Panda-san wrote:

Yup, he already has been there for years though, I heard he outplayed everyone in terms of acting in Summer Nude (haven't watch it though), this guy definitely needs a break

occho wrote: lol toshiya, i like his style and movement very amusing
i dont know his name but i enjoyed him in Shonen merikensakku movie,he playing as aoi miyakazi boyfriend, and aoi bully him lol

his name is Ryo Katsuji, I surprised he has a long list in his CV and his acting is pretty good