boutux wrote: i wanted to punch her. no one is that goody goody to the point of looking like they don't have a functioning brain. how many times was she called baaakaaaa!! in the 1st series. i'm sure akiyama thought about putting himself out his misery every time he saw that lost or confused expression on her face.

Ofcourse no one is that goody goody, but she's the messiah figure of the show. Although, usually the messiah figure in stories isn't so unintelligent, but her ability to trust and believe is what wins Liar Game. "Love always trust" - 1 Cor. 13:7
SayItAintSoJoe wrote: Ofcourse no one is that goody goody, but she's the messiah figure of the show. Although, usually the messiah figure in stories isn't so unintelligent, but her ability to trust and believe is what wins Liar Game. "Love always trust" - 1 Cor. 13:7

The thing for me that was frustrating about watching her wasn't that she was innocent and trusting. The thing that frustrated me at first is that she doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes while trusting. Idealistically I'm on board with what she believes. But there is a line between trust and stupidity and I like that the show is fully aware of this, questions and plays on it...however frustrating it may be for the viewer. I also like that her innocence is what draws others who aren't this way around her. Obviously it draws Akiyama to her because of his Mother but I like to think there is more to it than that. I think he likes her. I am watching Liar Game 2 and she isn't getting to me as much as the first one.

btw SIASJoe...I like your new avi.
jeanie65jh wrote: The thing for me that was frustrating about watching her wasn't that she was innocent and trusting. The thing that frustrated me at first is that she doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes while trusting. Idealistically I'm on board with what she believes. But there is a line between trust and stupidity and I like that the show is fully aware of this, questions and plays on it...however frustrating it may be for the viewer. I also like that her innocence is what draws others who aren't this way around her. Obviously it draws Akiyama to her because of his Mother but I like to think there is more to it than that. I think he likes her. I am watching Liar Game 2 and she isn't getting to me as much as the first one.

Yeah, I can understand your frustration with Nao.

and thanks!
jeanie65jh wrote: The thing for me that was frustrating about watching her wasn't that she was innocent and trusting. The thing that frustrated me at first is that she doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes while trusting. Idealistically I'm on board with what she believes. But there is a line between trust and stupidity and I like that the show is fully aware of this, questions and plays on it...however frustrating it may be for the viewer. I also like that her innocence is what draws others who aren't this way around her. Obviously it draws Akiyama to her because of his Mother but I like to think there is more to it than that. I think he likes her. I am watching Liar Game 2 and she isn't getting to me as much as the first one.

For me the second season was much better mostly because she'll improve a lot, and actually use her innocence to achieve what she thinks is right, not blindly trusting everyone around. It's like she learned something finally :) With Akiyama awesome as ever, they make a great team.
Elisabetta wrote: For me the second season was much better mostly because she'll improve a lot, and actually use her innocence to achieve what she thinks is right, not blindly trusting everyone around. It's like she learned something finally :) With Akiyama awesome as ever, they make a great team.

I think I'll be finishing up Season II tonight and I am wondering if I should go ahead and watch the movie to wrap everything up. I really like the mind games and how Akiyama always sits back patiently, waiting for his moment. I like how he watches Nao, lets her fail but also protects her. I think he likes/is drawn to her innocent spirit and good intentions; how she tries to help those caught in the game save themselves. He lets Nao have her chance. He also observes those stuck in the game and waits for them to have their chance to choose the right path along with Nao. When they inevitably don't, Akiyama is there to kick butt and save the day. He plays everything so straight and has so much patience but I dig that when it comes to people hurting her, he will make them pay. It's a cool dynamic. And it gives me the impression that as smart and calculating, patient and cynical as Akiyama is, Nao is the one who has the power to sway him over everyone/thing else. She isn't aware of it and of course wouldn't exploit it if she did...but I feel this way because he always has her back and always takes her side. Fun show.
PinkDiamond wrote: Watching the Liar Game series has been exhilarating for me. I laughed a lot, yelled some, and even scratched my head in confusion a few times. I also enjoyed all of the maniacal laughter, and there is quite a lot of that through the series, trust me. Matsuda Shota, fit the bill perfectly, and not just him...I think all the actors each had their own unique trait...like Mushroom head...way too over the top, but so much that it's comical. Also, don't forget Nao, our ever endearing, cute, but bakafied protagonist...the bane of my Liar Game experience... Anyway...I enjoyed this series. I give it a High Five!

Lip Gloss! High Five!
PinkDiamond wrote: Watching the Liar Game series has been exhilarating for me. I laughed a lot, yelled some, and even scratched my head in confusion a few times. I also enjoyed all of the maniacal laughter, and there is quite a lot of that through the series, trust me. Matsuda Shota, fit the bill perfectly, and not just him...I think all the actors each had their own unique trait...like Mushroom head...way too over the top, but so much that it's comical. Also, don't forget Nao, our ever endearing, cute, but bakafied protagonist...the bane of my Liar Game experience... Anyway...I enjoyed this series. I give it a High Five!

Hi5! I'm glad you made it through PD! I know Nao really tried your patience. but hey! Akiyama-san! and I second what Lis said. ....lip cream!
PinkDiamond wrote: Lis, did you get my PM?

Hai, hai...lol
It's an excellent and very engaging series...I think Matsuda has grown a bit as an actor since I saw him in some earlier dramas.
Too bad I hear something of a next movie with some changes in the cast? I really like our main girl here, there is a termenedous sense of progress and learning she does. And the idea itself, of this game, is phenomenal.
Bladey wrote: It's an excellent and very engaging series...I think Matsuda has grown a bit as an actor since I saw him in some earlier dramas.
Too bad I hear something of a next movie with some changes in the cast? I really like our main girl here, there is a termenedous sense of progress and learning she does. And the idea itself, of this game, is phenomenal.

I know I will only miss Nao if the new girl is worst. It took me two seasons to bear Nao...and I felt the need to shake my fist at her during the movie...lol
I will watch the new movie for the concept, the look of the series and the games; all of which I loved....and mostly Shota. But it bums me out that Akiyama-san and Nao kind of walked off into the world as a pair in the Final Stage movie and now there will be a new girl? I'll give it a chance but as much as Naive Nao annoyed me at times, it is still not going to be the same without her. The dynamic between them, why they were connected and why Akiyama was so loyal to Nao was a big part of that series for me. We'll see.
Yeah, I agree, Jeanie. The concept was half of the movie, the other half- the two of them carried very well.

That's what I'm wondering, how exactrly is this new girl going to fit in? I kind of liked how the Final Stage finished off. I'm just wondering, If that's manga-based, has anyone read the managa ? Is it contuining, is it finished and how many books it has? Is that more or less following the manga?
I liked how they finished the movie, too. I have no idea if it is manga based, I never read it.