I haven't watched a lot of Japanese dramas but my interest is growing. However, it seems to be quite hard to find English subtitles for many Japanese dramas as readily as compared to Korean or Chinese dramas.

Is it because there isn't as much interest in Jdramas compared to the other two countries or are there relatively fewer active subbers? Or is there some other reason?

The Japanese content is quite good. Hope it becomes more accessible to international audiences. 

ColourMePurple:
there isn't as much interest in Jdramas compared to the other two countries

This is true in both ways. People outside Japan has less interest in Jdrama and Japan also has less interest in showing their dramas to international audience...haha

ColourMePurple:
are there relatively fewer active subbers

No. There are many (fan)subbers nowadays than what we have 15 years ago. Many dramas have got subbed now. Those you see on illegal streaming sites might be half of the total subbed dramas. But the problem is these subtitles are not available in one place. They are scattered all over the net....and you may need to register/join the community to get them.

TimiZero:

This is true in both ways. People outside Japan has less interest in Jdrama and Japan also has less interest in showing their dramas to international audience...haha

No. There are many (fan)subbers nowadays than what we have 15 years ago. Many dramas have got subbed now. Those you see on illegal streaming sites might be half of the total subbed dramas. But the problem is these subtitles are not available in one place. They are scattered all over the net....and you may need to register/join the community to get them.

exactly that is an issue it is just scattered all over the place which makes it so hard to find . Plus like you said you need to register for everything so new username new password new account creation everywhere another headache. Also one of the main issue I am facing is not good quality for some jdramas like for example  Zettai Reido 2 (2011) i have hear a lot about all 4 seasons but it doesn't have good quality it is mainly in 480p yeah you saw it right I mean you can't enjoy drama in 480p right ???  

ColourMePurple like you said I too have interest since like 3-4 years but same issues like you are facing plus good quality for 4-5 years old dramas like   Zettai Reido 3 (2018), Okusama wa, Tori Atsukai Chui (2017) etc basically not available in full HD (1080p) so I don't have  high hope that It can improve anyday soon

TimiZero:

This makes a lot of sense. Every drama I've been interested in watching the last few weeks have been subbed and uploaded to different sites. I don't mind going to personal websites/blogs to stream content. What's harder is, as you said, when the sites require account creation to access files. And some are just subtitle files. That's additional work in finding the raw files, then the sub files, downloading both and watching. Whereas, ideally I don't want to download anything and only want to stream content.

cutearisu:
ColourMePurple like you said I too have interest since like 3-4 years but same issues like you are facing plus good quality for 4-5 years old dramas like   Zettai Reido 3 (2018), Okusama wa, Tori Atsukai Chui (2017) etc basically not available in full HD (1080p) so I don't have  high hope that It can improve anyday soon

I wouldn't mind if the quality is 480p, I'll even stream on my phone if needed. I just need what they call "hard subs" that I can stream rather than taking extra steps to locate the sub files after registering on various websites and then locating the raw files and downloading them individually. I've never liked downloading shows to watch.

I wonder if the subbers are getting enough viewers/downloads this way. I don't know who wouldn't prefer to stream content. Or maybe it's just me.

ColourMePurple:

I wouldn't mind if the quality is 480p, I'll even stream on my phone if needed. I just need what they call "hard subs" that I can stream rather than taking extra steps to locate the sub files after registering on various websites and then locating the raw files and downloading them individually. I've never liked downloading shows to watch.

I wonder if the subbers are getting enough viewers/downloads this way. I don't know who wouldn't prefer to stream content. Or maybe it's just me.

I agree with you if they are hard subs it also works for me most of time . Actually I like action dramas I am a action geek person so when I watch something in 480p and has action scenes in it doesn't make me feel good to watch that drama any further. Same thing with graphics if they have invested heavily in graphics then I don't like to watch those dramas . These are only 2 times I avoid 480p otherwise even I wouldn't mind. 

Yeah I prefer to stream content most of time I think maybe it depends on individual person's internet availability. Some people have unlimited internet while some people might have only 1-2-3 GB data available per day like people who use mobile data and not Wi-Fi so they might prefer to download the content to save and watch more content that is what I think maybe I am wrong I mean it is a hot take from my side 

I don't really have a problem on finding drama with eng subs, but maybe I just look other places or don't watch the same ones as you. If you watch older drama though then it usually isn't the best quality (but you can look on Kissasian.li I've found a lot of dramas in good quality there.

Otherwise you can use viki or myasiantv, dramacool as well.

ColourMePurple:
And some are just subtitle files

Actually after year 2008 many fansubbers are releasing softsub only. I personally prefer the softsub whenever possible because it's editable (as you can further change the font style and size to suit your watching) and the fansubber might release a correction for any mistakes in the translation at later date.

ColourMePurple:
ideally I don't want to download anything and only want to stream content.

As I am a traditional person, I would prefer downloading my files before watching regardless if it's hardsubbed or softsubbed. You're going to use the same bandwidth anyway so I think downloading would be best for my watching style. I also can watch the drama anytime without to worry about internet connection.

cutearisu:
Also one of the main issue I am facing is not good quality

Yes this is a problem especially for older dramas. You may want to try raredoramas or jraws. Sometimes they have FHD or HD version of older dramas. There's Dramahd also...although I can't seem to visit that site without turning the Javascropt ON and OFF....and it didn't work on updated browser too.

cutearisu:
Some people have unlimited internet while some people might have only 1-2-3 GB data available per day like people who use mobile data and not Wi-Fi so they might prefer to download the content to save and watch more content that is what I think maybe I am wrong I mean it is a hot take from my side 

True but for downloading files you also need space on your device. Plus the time it takes to download an episode, I could have streamed at least part of it and enjoyed. Data isn't cheap where I live and my WIFI speeds are decent so streaming works well.

TimiZero:
Actually after year 2008 many fansubbers are releasing softsub only. I personally prefer the softsub whenever possible because it's editable (as you can further change the font style and size to suit your watching) and the fansubber might release a correction for any mistakes in the translation at later date.

Is there a way to add on subtitles to a player on a website? I know some make it possible to do that. I've just never tried. I can understand the benefits of a soft sub for the subber but it's more time consuming for the viewer unfortunately. I am just not that dedicated I suppose. I wonder how it works for other countries. It is a shame though because the Japanese dramas coming out lately are good and I'm missing out because of this issue. I hope subbers do consider making more hard subs available. We don't mind spelling errors that much.

^

I sometimes use substital add on to attach soft sub into online video. You don't need to download the video, just find a site that streams it online.

ayo22:

^

I sometimes use substital add on to attach soft sub into online video. You don't need to download the video, just find a site that streams it online.

Yes! This would be so helpful. What is the add-on called? 

ColourMePurple:

Yes! This would be so helpful. What is the add-on called? 

yes!! please let me know too what is the name and also how does it work how do you do that I mean I have never tried it so I don't know the exact steps thanks

substital. I use mozilla firefox, so if you use MF, just Ctrl+Shift+A to open the add-on window. Search substital and install it.

After you installed it, go to any raw streaming sites, and click the substital logo on your toolbar. Just drag down the srt file into your video and play it. You can customize the font too and change the seconds if the subs and video do not match.

ayo22:

substital. I use mozilla firefox, so if you use MF, just Ctrl+Shift+A to open the add-on window. Search substital and install it.

After you installed it, go to any raw streaming sites, and click the substital logo on your toolbar. Just drag down the srt file into your video and play it. You can customize the font too and change the seconds if the subs and video do not match.

you are a life saver thank you for telling me all steps I really appreciate it finally I will be able to see subtitles I am definitely going to try this thank you for this amazing feature