My ultimate favorite would be X JAPAN, to be more specific X (w/ Taiji on bass). IMO, X on their heydays were really a collection of best (Japanese) musicians in their instruments. It is just sad that they are not quite active even after reunion, given all these circumstances happened to hide, YOSHIKI, Toshl and even PATA. Still waiting for new album.

LUNA SEA tracks are frequent in my playlist too. Compared to other visual kei groups, they're just like a all-rounded cool kid in the class. Still going strong with same line-up since their formation.

SCANDAL - adorable and talented girls.

and the wolves, MAN WITH A MISSION. They're just unique among contemporaries - both visually and musically.

YMO, neither fits to J-ROCK or J-POP specifically, but these grandpas are classy maestros. Though Olympic is postponed, I'd love to see them in opening or closing ceremony.

Other favorites that I love and listen (but not quite to the degree of above 4) - BABYMETAL (prefer the one w/ YUIMETAL), back number, BAND-MAID, B'z, FLOW, fox capture plan, Kankaku Pierro, KOKIA, Kyousuke Himuro, LOVE PSYCHEDELICO, RADWIMPS, Superfly, Utada Hikaru, and ZARD (her anime tracks are gold, RIP T_T ).

@Joe Shiren

I smell utada hikaru

I listen to a lot of japanese music but i'm unsure whether it counts in to the genres you've mentioned. 

never young beach, keytalk, three1989, lucky tapes, mitsume, no buses etc. 

I listen to a lot of Japanese music but I don't particularly look at the artist... Unless the music capture me enough till the point that I search for them.. And those are.. 

Spyair (omg! Live ike is exactly the same as the studio version!! He's so cool <33) 

And also aimer 

My favourite Japanese artist is Aimer. 

I also like Flower and Kalafina, although both groups have disbanded.

girugamesh, OZ, sel'm, MUCC, DIR EN GREY, CodeRebirth, Aldious, exist†trace, GHOSE, R-shitei, the GazettE

Hako Yamasaki, Fukuwa, Shoohey

NECRONOMIDOL, HeroSyn, JyuJyu

Composers of Ryu Ga Gotoku OSTs, DMC1-3 OSTs, Zero Escape OSTs, The Silver Case OSTs and God Hand OSTs

My favourite are girls from I've sound: Kotoko, MELL, Shimamiya Eiko, Kawada Mami... then LiSA, Lia and IA (vocaloid). Groups: Stereopony, Nobodyknows+

I almost forgot some that I listened to long time ago, but I still like them:

Ueto Aya, Fripside, Natsumi Abe, Matsuura Aya, Fujimoto Miki, Utada Hikaru 

groups: Altima, Dream

Probably missed a few

Scandal was the first J-Rock band I got into.   I'm in love with Mami Sasazaki.

– Perfume 

– the GazettE 

– Takanori Nishikawa 

– Alice Nine 

– Luna Sea 

Mostly them but I like other japanese bands too. 

I have so many favorites but recently I put YOASOBI songs on repeat ^^

Girl Bands

Hinatazaka46, Nogizaka46, Sakurazaka46 (Formerly known as Keyakizaka46), =Love, Last Idol,
Angerme, Juice=Juice, Wasu-ta, Tokyo Girls Style, Lyrical School, Passcode, Happiness

Boy Bands

Fantastic Exile Tribe, The Rampage Exile Tribe, 三代目 J Soul Brothers, Generation Exile Tribe, One N’Only, Solidemo, JO1, King & Prince

Bands

Back Number, Sekai no Owari, Offical Hige Dandism, Radwimps, Ikimonogakari, Scandal

Artists

Aimer, Milet, Leo Ieiri, Miwa, LiSA, Kuda Komi, Nishino Kana, Misako Uno (AAA), Cristal Kay, Daichi Miura, Gen Hoshino, Kenshi Yonezu

Mix Group
AAA, lol, YOASOBI

Mr Children and X Japan.