Looks like in the drama, Ziyu is the son of the crown prince instead.

HaifaaM:

I am watching the series development and how its veering away from the novel, episodes 17-21 and feeling like its a whole new story in the making

Well, Cui Xingzhou now knows who Lu Wen really is. So yeah, they're shifting the storyline lol. The route is for him to broke his leg and chased her until her front door at Beizhou, asking for her hands in marriage from her grandfather. Afterwards, they're gonna deal with the politics stuff lol. Ohh right, and the stuff at Lord Huaiyang Mansion too. Cui Xingzhou's sister would also make her appearance.

Fujihara Tomomi:

Well, Cui Xingzhou now knows who Lu Wen really is. So yeah, they're shifting the storyline lol. The route is for him to broke his leg and chased her until her front door at Beizhou, asking for her hands in marriage from her grandfather. Afterwards, they're gonna deal with the politics stuff lol. Ohh right, and the stuff at Lord Huaiyang Mansion too. Cui Xingzhou's sister would also make her appearance.

I can hardly wait. Love it. 

Are you sure he was the cp in the novel?   I was pretty sure he was the son of him, as in the drama.  I thought I read he and his brother were both poisoned (hence his continuing ill health) but he survived for reasons I've now forgotten.

Ohh really?? I see. I haven't finished the novel, but I have read people's spoilers. Maybe they got it wrong. Sorry!!

I hate this adaptation. They managed to turn such a wonderful novel into something unrecognizable. They turned CXZ into a joke and LMT into a bloodthirsty cold-hearted woman. I'm not sure why I expected this to be on par with the source material. lol

I stopped watching at ep 21 and these days I just continue checking the teasers. Also occasionally checking the comment section for any significant updates... seems like, at this rate, they're going to finally get married by ep 38 or something XD

I don't want to be a downer in the main comment section by constantly showing my disappointment towards the show so, I did it here instead. At least fellow novel readers here can probably relate to this feeling.

Ah, hidden charm, the things you could have been.

QueenSpringDay:

I stopped watching at ep 21 and these days I just continue checking the teasers. Also occasionally checking the comment section for any significant updates... seems like, at this rate, they're going to finally get married by ep 38 or something XD

I don't want to be a downer in the main comment section by constantly showing my disappointment towards the show so, I did it here instead. At least fellow novel readers here can probably relate to this feeling.

Ah, hidden charm, the things you could have been.

Never watch the drama adaptation of a novel that you enjoyed. You'll always be disappointed. They took a wonderful story and butchered it. lol

CasualCDfan:
Never watch the drama adaptation of a novel that you enjoyed.

The double was pretty decent imo, though I haven't been able to finish the novel. I heard that one deviated quite a lot from the novel too, but still managed to make it quite enjoyable. I heard Destined was also deviates quite a lot (though i did not read it but i heard they make the ML a lot smarter than the novel) but at least they did not fall in to these random jealousy arc.  Back then I was really confident that, this novel that gave no space for anything else other than the main couple (everyone else was quite literally background character), of all things that could happen, there's just no way they would change this one good thing about the story, right?

But yea, never underestimate the skill of Cdrama writers to mess up a perfectly good story and unconventional setting just to fit the most boring and unimaginative arc into it.

QueenSpringDay:

The double was pretty decent imo, though I haven't been able to finish the novel. I heard that one deviated quite a lot from the novel too, but still managed to make it quite enjoyable. I heard Destined was also deviates quite a lot (though i did not read it but i heard they make the ML a lot smarter than the novel) but at least they did not fall in to these random jealousy arc.  Back then I was really confident that, this novel that gave no space for anything else other than the main couple (everyone else was quite literally background character), of all things that could happen, there's just no way they would change this one good thing about the story, right?

But yea, never underestimate the skill of Cdrama writers to mess up a perfectly good story and unconventional setting just to fit the most boring and unimaginative arc into it.

Their worst offense isn’t the creative liberties they took with the plot (although that’s bad too)  but how they utterly destroyed the main leads’ characters and their wonderful love story. What a travesty. Yea, i’m done. 

I really liked the novel. I picked it up and binged it while waiting for the drama episodes to air. I would have loved for the production team to stick to the novel but I think it would have been hardly possible with the lenght of the drama (it was supposed to be a 2-part drama but because of the new regulations they chose to air it in one series) also, the characterizations might not have been accepted .

At least the actors act well and the series is still good.

As I loved the novel, could someone recommend me something similar ?

Sady:

I really liked the novel. I picked it up and binged it while waiting for the drama episodes to air. I would have loved for the production team to stick to the novel but I think it would have been hardly possible with the lenght of the drama (it was supposed to be a 2-part drama but because of the new regulations they chose to air it in one series) also, the characterizations might not have been accepted .

At least the actors act well and the series is still good.

My issue isn't that they couldn't do a 1:1 adaptation of the novel. Adaptations will always be different. My issue is how they fundamentally changed the leads' love story and characters and gave us something that feels cheap and cliché.

CasualCDfan:

My issue isn't that they couldn't do a 1:1 adaptation of the novel. Adaptations will always be different. My issue is how they fundamentally changed the leads' love story and characters and gave us something that feels cheap and cliché. 

I understand but I don't think those who didn't read the book would have stomach the way ML and FL were protrayed. People want green flags and Lady boss.

The fact there is so few episode barely leaves time for the characters to grow on people.  

It's a pity really because the book is so good and so much happens. 

Sady:

I understand but I don't think those who didn't read the book would have stomach the way ML and FL were protrayed. People want green flags and Lady boss.

The fact there is so few episode barely leaves time for the characters to grow on people.  

It's a pity really because the book is so good and so much happens. 

I think many would have the stomach for that kind of portrayal if CDrama writers and producers were better at adapting some of these stories. People will generally accept a morally grey character if they're well-written. And a woman doesn't have to be cold and vengeful to be a boss lady. The novel version of LMT is more of a boss lady than her drama counterpart. In the novel, she didn't have access to Lu Wen's martial arts, yet she adapted well to every tough situation.