CasualCDfan:

I think many would have the stomach for that kind of portrayal if CDrama writers and producers were better at adapting some of these stories. People will generally accept a morally grey character if they're well-written. And a woman doesn't have to be cold and vengeful to be a boss lady. The novel version of LMT is more of a boss lady than her drama counterpart. In the novel, she didn't have access to Lu Wen's martial arts, yet she adapted well to every tough situation. 

Maybe. I personnally think people might not have accepted the fact LMT was lied to for so long without being more vengeful when she discovered the truth. Even for the drama, people were already hating on CXZ despite the fact he was written sweeter and more approachable.

As for LMT, despite the fact she's strong and astute some might not have liked the fact she was so submissive to her husband.

Sady:

Maybe. I personnally think people might not have accepted the fact LMT was lied to for so long without being more vengeful when she discovered the truth. Even for the drama, people were already hating on CXZ despite the fact he was written sweeter and more approachable.

As for LMT, despite the fact she's strong and astute some might not have liked the fact she was so submissive to her husband.

And many people are fed up with LMT's coldness and indifference towards the man who saved her. It cuts both ways. It all comes down to the writing and the execution.  I feel like the writers believed that turning LMT into a cold vengeful woman would make her more interesting and badass. It didn't. Novel LMT is a much more interesting character and a lot more badass. 

Sady:

As I loved the novel, could someone recommend me something similar ?

Up

Sady:

As I loved the novel, could someone recommend me something similar ?

Hi! I've mentioned this a few pages back but maybe because it's hidden in spoiler not many people saw that. Anyway this is kinda out of topic but, I suppose it's somewhat relevant to fellow novel readers who might be interested. So recently I just finished reading another novel by this same author, 'Love of the Divine Tree', and I think it really has similar vibes. Amnesia, morally grey characters, with similar type of humor, also both main leads are similarly thirsty to each other (though definitely not as spicy as this lol). It's xianxia though, so it contains a lot of period fantasy elements like immortality or demonic cultivation etc, but still totally worth checking out!

(Bonus fact is that the drama version is already in the making and probably going to be aired by the end of this year, let's hope that one isn't going to be messed up just like this one)

QueenSpringDay:

Hi! I've mentioned this a few pages back but maybe because it's hidden in spoiler not many people saw that. Anyway this is kinda out of topic but, I suppose it's somewhat relevant to fellow novel readers who might be interested. So recently I just finished reading another novel by this same author, 'Love of the Divine Tree', and I think it really has similar vibes. Amnesia, morally grey characters, with similar type of humor, also both main leads are similarly thirsty to each other (though definitely not as spicy as this lol). It's xianxia though, so it contains a lot of period fantasy elements like immortality or demonic cultivation etc, but still totally worth checking out!

(Bonus fact is that the drama version is already in the making and probably going to be aired by the end of this year, let's hope that one isn't going to be messed up just like this one)

Hi! Could you share a link, please? If I end up liking this novel a lot, I definitely won't be watching the drama adaptation. Lesson learned. lol

Where can I read the novel? Is it in English or Chinese? 

Link for the novel translation (in english) is shared on the discussion section of the drama page ^^

Alternatively, if you guys are interested in chinese novels, novelupdates is a good place to start browsing for recommendations!

QueenSpringDay:

Link for the novel translation (in english) is shared on the discussion section of the drama page ^^

Alternatively, if you guys are interested in chinese novels, novelupdates is a good place to start browsing for recommendations!

Thanks, I managed to find it.  "Mistaken Era" is another novel by that same author.

Thank you all!! I almost couldn't find it :)

This adaptation is such a bastardization of the source material. CXZ allowing LMT's grandfather to beat him out of remorse makes sense in the novel because, although CXZ helped and protected LMT, he also took her virginity. So, CXZ's grave mistake wasn't simply that he lied. In this drama, CXZ did nothing nefarious. He lied at first because he thought LMT was the enemy's concubine. He continued lying because he fell in love with LMT and didn't want to lose her. So, in drama, he saved her, nurtured her back to health, protected her, and didn't sleep with her when he had the chance. Yet, the drama version of CXZ is treated like he committed some grave crime. 

The drama suggests that LMT could live her life single, childless, and happy indefinitely. This is rarely true even in modern times. However, the novel takes a more realistic approach by illustrating the challenges a beautiful, unmarried woman would face during that time. Not every powerful man was as kind as CXZ. In the novel, there was balance. LMT needed CXZ as much as CXZ needed her. 

Excerpt from the novel:

"What Liu Mian Tang wanted was never mountains of gold and silver or dominion over the land. She desired a person who truly loved her, who would stand by her side and give her the trust that comes with standing back-to-back."

However, the drama conveys a different message: LMT doesn’t need a man to find happiness—she's perfectly capable on her own (In reality, she's not). CXZ is fortunate that she’s even considering taking him back.

CasualCDfan:
This adaptation is such a bastardization of the source material. CXZ allowing LMT's grandfather to beat him out of remorse makes sense in the novel because, although CXZ helped and protected LMT, he also took her virginity. So, CXZ's grave mistake wasn't simply that he lied. In this drama, CXZ did nothing nefarious. He lied at first because he thought LMT was the enemy's concubine. He continued lying because he fell in love with LMT and didn't want to lose her. So, in drama, he saved her, nurtured her back to health, protected her, and didn't sleep with her when he had the chance. Yet, the drama version of CXZ is treated like he committed some grave crime.

The drama suggests that LMT could live her life single, childless, and happy indefinitely. This is rarely true even in modern times. However, the novel takes a more realistic approach by illustrating the challenges a beautiful, unmarried woman would face during that time. Not every powerful man was as kind as CXZ. In the novel, there was balance. LMT needed CXZ as much as CXZ needed her.

Excerpt from the novel:

"What Liu Mian Tang wanted was never mountains of gold and silver or dominion over the land. She desired a person who truly loved her, who would stand by her side and give her the trust that comes with standing back-to-back."

However, the drama conveys a different message: LMT doesn’t need a man to find happiness—she's perfectly capable on her own (In reality, she's not). CXZ is fortunate that she’s even considering taking him back.

SERIOUSLY, CXZ doesn't deserve this kind of abuse in the drama version for just lying. I 100% agree with you. And they took it too far to show a strong woman in ancient time. It's completely unrealistic to show this type of modernized woman. 🙄🙄 Her characterization completely took me out of the romancing part. Why so extreme in showing she can go through life without romantic love, emotional bonding and attachment and companionship to live and have a full life?

"However, the drama conveys a different message: LMT doesn’t need a man to find happiness—she's perfectly capable on her own (In reality, she's not). CXZ is fortunate that she’s even considering taking him back. " 

This is so ludicrous. She doesn't deserve this kind of devotion from ML. It's more like a one-sided love to me. She's too prideful and this doesn't make for good romance. She's the lucky one who doesn't appreciate the ML. Writer really messed it up.

Despite the challenges of adapting a novel, the drama had the potential to stay true to the essence of the author’s vision. I don’t think most people hate grey characters. They hate badly written ones. By softening the CXZ, hardening the LMT, and diluting their love story, the drama delivered a mediocre story aimed at the lowest common denominator.

100% agreed with you. I’m only at the beginning of the novel but I’ve found myself skipping LMT’s scenes at times when she just showed her indifference towards the ML, or putting him down with her uncle or friend or making ML so miserable just to get her attention.  They dragged theses rejection scenes for too long and makes me more interested in learning more about the empress or wanting LMT & ML to work together to take down the enemies and cannot be bothered with any romance between them. it is a shame really.

BrightStar:

Hi there. I finished review is very beautiful novel. Any recommendations for similar?  thank you.

You might like Chang'an First Beauty (though it starts of darker)

QueenSpringDay:

Thank you! I'll check it out.