Erin :

I also ended up watching Joy of Life because of Sword Snow Stride lol.  I kind of like Joy of life better because It had more action there are parts where I got kind of bored with sword snow stride, I felt like there was to much dialogue at times lol. Also I found the plot  to be a bit more complicated and I had trouble keeping up.

Weirdly I actually feel the opposite so far lol. That could just be because I'm sort of used to long historical dramas now and it's been a while since I've watched Joy of Life. But I definitely get where you're coming from about the dialogue. It's a little long-winded in some parts lol

To me personally I think JOL had a very good impression on me so much and has set a bar so high that I easily find lapses when watching other dramas. I just finished watching SSS yesterday, it was good but just a little unstable. I felt at times like the drama lost its soul and then found it later on as it went on. As a matter of fact I felt SSS season 1 is a very long intro for what is to come in the series and I hope so. But I was taken a little bit aback when Xu Feng Nian was talking about traveling to Beimang as well just like he's traveled to Wudi, that has put a very big doubt in my hopes. Just started Luoyang today, it seems interesting and a little fast-paced as well.

Josh55_anzhi:

To me personally I think JOL had a very good impression on me so much and has set a bar so high that I easily find lapses when watching other dramas. I just finished watching SSS yesterday, it was good but just a little unstable. I felt at times like the drama lost its soul and then found it later on as it went on. As a matter of fact I felt SSS season 1 is a very long intro for what is to come in the series and I hope so. But I was taken a little bit aback when Xu Feng Nian was talking about traveling to Beimang as well just like he's traveled to Wudi, that has put a very big doubt in my hopes. Just started Luoyang today, it seems interesting and a little fast-paced as well.

Why does this give you doubts? He still trying to avenge his mother, Eunuch Han wasn't the only one involved. 

I understand that, my doubt is not about the trip or the general plot. It's about the possibility of how the trip might be too centred upon and consequently making the general plot unfelt like it did in season 1. If you have watched it all you'll definitely sense that there's something bigger that's developing, that's what I want to see more of or at least the blend of that or balancing of that with his traveling agenda. Maybe I'm just expecting too much though, I must confess I haven't read or gotten even a hint of the story of the novel and maybe that's why I'm having slight concerns.

Josh55_anzhi:

I understand that, my doubt is not about the trip or the general plot. It's about the possibility of how the trip might be too centred upon and consequently making the general plot unfelt like it did in season 1. If you have watched it all you'll definitely sense that there's something bigger that's developing, that's what I want to see more of or at least the blend of that or balancing of that with his traveling agenda. Maybe I'm just expecting too much though, I must confess I haven't read or gotten even a hint of the story of the novel and maybe that's why I'm having slight concerns.

I'm not a novel reader, but for sure there are a bigger mastermind behind the plot (enemy), but we will need to wait for Season 2 of SSS :( But I prefer JoL S2 with no doubt. :)

JOL spoiled me! It has put the bar high so many others aren't else good enough to compare to....

Xtinew:

JOL spoiled me! It has put the bar high so many others aren't else good enough to compare to....

Well, is what is it, a masterpiece.

Josh55_anzhi:

I agree with u.. somewhat dragged in few episodes and I wasn't that impressed with Jiang Ni's character for the moment hope there's more character development in next season... The comedy elements in this series complimented it's flaws (atleast for me lol). I also want the screen writer to pair up Ning E'mai and Qing Niao. I got a crush on Liu Duan Duan (Zhao Kai or Second prince) hahhaa He sure caught my attention in both SSS and JOL. The second season will be XFN travelling to Beimang and finding the greater conspiracy... huhh I tried to read the novel but seeing all the negative comments I backed away.. I'll wait for the next season. Luoyang will not dissapoint you. It was actually GOOD :)

Wow, I imagined it was only I who thought that Qing Niao and Ning E'mei could actually work out if they pair up. I actually enjoyed watching Qing Niao, she was a mixture of some very good combinations that I find attractive (cute, straightforward, shy, wild, courageous, loyal... all in one), and I think she displayed them to good effect. I agree with what you said concerning the comedy as well, it kind of lighten the somewhat-dull-mood at times. I sure am taking a liking to Liu Duan Duan, most of all in JOL of course, I enjoy his sinister portrayal of his characters. I found his character in SSS a little confused, lost or kind of stupid. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Luoyang.

Amazing, the discussion is dedicated to the cast of JOL2 and I'm reading how people are raving about some other drama. Doesn't it have its own topic? People, there's a place for everything.
So I'll say this about the cast - if they don't start making this drama right now, Fan Xien will be grandfathered in by the time the second season comes out and I'll lose what little interest I have left in it anyway.

I'm more interesting in who would play Thirteen Wang character. Or hopefully that character would be included in the drama. 

I'm sorry about that janec. With respect to what I'm looking forward to in JOL2, I want to see who's going to play the character of the great prince, the unveiling of the secrets of Taiping courtyard, and most importantly the turn of events after that stab from Bingyun. 

I will also love to see more scenes in my best set of all time when it comes to medieval Western or Historical Eastern shows (that's right, I'm talking about the imperial study of JOL1). From the entrance with the guards to the oval waiting area with the decorations and books to the main area where the emperor performs his duties to the small back pavilion close to the lake through those big door-its just sublime. It's absolutely beautiful and makes me really feel the emperor's prestige. Just watch the scenes in that set and you'll understand.

Are there by chance any updates on, well, anything regarding JOL2? Thanks!

There was an article in Variety in October 2021( https://variety.com/2021/global/asia/disney-plus-asia-series-1235088819/  )that stated that Disney Plus would be streaming a number of Asian Series and Films including - " “Joy Of Life 2,” a romantic period series that is a prequel to the “Joy Of Life” hit series and is written by Wang Juan. Production is by New Classics Media. "   If this is still the case, I hope that the sequel Joy of Life is still in the works. While a prequel might be interesting I am certainly more interested in the continuation of Joy of Life 1.

fmss:

There was an article in Variety in October 2021( https://variety.com/2021/global/asia/disney-plus-asia-series-1235088819/  )that stated that Disney Plus would be streaming a number of Asian Series and Films including - " “Joy Of Life 2,” a romantic period series that is a prequel to the “Joy Of Life” hit series and is written by Wang Juan. Production is by New Classics Media. "   If this is still the case, I hope that the sequel Joy of Life is still in the works. While a prequel might be interesting I am certainly more interested in the continuation of Joy of Life 1.

Ah yes, I remember hearing about that. I hope it's good and I hope it won't affect the production timeline on the sequel!!