So, I was reading through the forum of Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, and wondering if I should try a few more episodes, when I saw a mention of the type of Korean spoken in the series - that it was more modern than it should be, set as it is during the Goryeo era.

Well, what about Kingdom? It's set in a specific point of the Joseon era, around the Japanese invasions, so, late 16th century - they shouldn't be speaking modern Korean, should they? Are they? Or is it like in the c-dramas, which are mostly dubbed for various reasons?

I mean, I can't understand any type of Korean, I'm just insatiably curious about anything pertaining to language in period dramas, or even fantasy dramas set in the past. Like, for example, Game of Thrones was really good with this in the beginning - while not going the whole hog of using GRRM's jargon from ASoIaF, they didn't make it too modern or jarring. And then there came seasons 7 and 8. Enough said.

So, Kingdom. Formal, as you'd expect a drama set in the 16th/17th century to be, or modern?

I was actually thinking about this exact same thing. The language wasn't modern as far as I was concerned. To me, it had some elements of the Joseon Period of talking.