2020 was a bland drama year for me I only rated 4 k-dramas highly - TWOTM, My Dangerous Wife, Zombie Detective & Kingdom season 2.

Wow, so many opinions here I disagree with :) but here's my unpopular opinion:

Foreigners in kdrama are just plain awful.

They are mostly western people, speaking a bit strange english accent (probably because they don't use english often since they live in korea). It's really off-putting and breaks the illusion.

Also the foreigners usually have boring roles, like generic businessman that simply says "thank you for the business deal we just made!"

They also over-act and make it look silly.

But the worst is when the korean actors have to talk english back, and the accent is so broken you can barely understand what they're saying.

Also every time a foreigner enters the scene the atmosphere somewhat changes and the focus is on the foreigner, even if he has no special role in the series. I don't know what it is, but do they think it's cool to have a foreigner in their series?

I'm not a Robot has pretty much everything of those type of scenes. Love the series but the foreigners in it are just awful.

There are a few series that manage to do it properly, like:
- Mr. Sunshine
- Descendants of the Sun
- Crash landing on you (switzerland scenes)

It seems like modern audiences are tired of this, but I love the mean & cynical guy/sweet & innocent girl trope. I love seeing a hot jerk fall in love seemingly against his own will, unable to resist her unselfish kindness to all.

It's okay to not be okay was really hard to finish ;-;

"Foreigners in kdrama are just plain awful." lmao I don't think that's a unpopular opinion, I thought a lot of people don't like them/find them awkward but I find them amusing to watch xD

technochocolate:

It seems like modern audiences are tired of this, but I love the mean & cynical guy/sweet & innocent girl trope. I love seeing a hot jerk fall in love seemingly against his own will, unable to resist her unselfish kindness to all.

+1 Bad boys are my guilty pleasure ;)  

ArniA:
Foreigners in kdrama are just plain awful.

But you're not wrong though lol Why is it that foreigners who are suppose to be speaking "English" are so poor at it? It's like the people they get don't speak English as a first language.

The only case that comes to mind where the English was good from the actual foreigner is Love Me If You Dare. The lady spoke perfect English to the ml and the ml spoke Chinese to the lady and it's implied they understood each other- more dramas need to do that.

I really dont like park bo gum ,,, i agree  he is good at acting but  unless reply 1988  i can say every drama was boring for me 

Especially encounter ,,,i hardly can watch that drama ,,i realy wanted to watch that ,,but i cant anymore it was awfull also love in the moonlight it was really beautiful at first but in time i got bored again usually i don't get bored watching drama but when i saw this ,, i cant ,, soo park bo gum for me is reallllly overrated

NeOn_TaE:

I really dont like park bo gum ,,, i agree  he is good at acting but  unless reply 1988  i can say every drama was boring for me 

Especially encounter ,,,i hardly can watch that drama ,,i realy wanted to watch that ,,but i cant anymore it was awfull also love in the moonlight it was really beautiful at first but in time i got bored again usually i don't get bored watching drama but when i saw this ,, i cant ,, soo park bo gum for me is reallllly overrated

Samee even i wanted to watch his dramas but it bored me so much he is a good actor but I couldn't bring myself to watch more than 2 episodes of park bo gum dramas the only one which I saw was record of youth which I forced myself  to watch it

NeOn_TaE:

don't really get the appeal over PBG, have only seen him in Encounter which was boring for me, the best episodes were the ones set in Cuba. I have no interest in watching Record of Youth since slice of life dramas usually bore me but it looks like the perfect drama to fall asleep to besides Hospital Playlist. 

Is it only me or others when a drama is really popular everyone likes it but I don't like it for some reason.

BLANKEATER:

Is it only me or others when a drama is really popular everyone likes it but I don't like it for some reason.

That's me with 2019-2020 k-dramas, been struggling to like so many popular hyped dramas nowadays. Although I liked plenty of "popular" dramas from previous years like 2016-18 but at least those ones felt more memorable/entertaining than popular stuff nowadays. 

Mr. Queen - other than watching the main leads, everything else is boring. 

True Beauty - I still like My ID is Gangnam Beauty better (plot/music) the running away from being makeup-less seems so trivial compared to GB's FL whose backstory felt more emotional that she had to do plastic surgery 

The Penthouse - was ok but didn't really get attached to the story/characters as much as the previous writer's dramas The Last Empress/Come! Jang Bo Ri which felt more original/memorable for me

Sunset:

That's me with 2019-2020 k-dramas, been struggling to like so many popular hyped dramas nowadays. Although I liked plenty of "popular" dramas from previous years like 2016-18 but at least those ones felt more memorable/entertaining than popular stuff nowadays. 

True Beauty - I still like My ID is Gangnam Beauty better (plot/music) the running away from being makeup-less seems so trivial compared to GB's FL whose backstory felt more emotional that she had to do plastic surgery 

The Penthouse - was ok but didn't really get attached to the story/characters as much as the previous writer's dramas The Last Empress/Come! Jang Bo Ri which felt more original/memorable for me

Yeah I think mr queen is losing my interest but I am still watching i think the plot is lost for me and as of true beauty I think they are losing something but I just can't figure ot what it is and as of penthouse I quite enjoyed it but not that much but I will see s2 and yeah last empress was really memorable the story had me going and the acting was amazing.

Sunset:

For me it has always been that way. If I took the time to love kdramas it is because those that were popular at the time and that my mother was watching already displeased me, My lovely Samsoon, Automn in My heart or Winter Sonata are traumas of nonsense for me. That’s why even today I have a problem with almost all popular dramas, especially those involving romance or hallyu stars like Lee Min Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Park Seo Jun, Park Bo Gum etc. I found mediocre Dots, the Heirs, WFKBJ, Encounter and many others of this type. In 2019, 2020 IOTNBO, Itaewon Class and all those you mentioned, even I did watch it didn't interest me at all. On the other hand, most of the dramas that mark me almost never enjoy the same popularity as Kairos, My Unfamiliar Family, The Good Detectives, Life, Black, The Light in Your Eyes etc. Frankly The Last Empress and Penthouse is the same trash for me, they looks like soap opera and telenovela, nonsense story, overacting... Afterwards I understand that it is life, all tastes are in nature.

Natii:

It's okay to not be okay was really hard to finish ;-;

For my part it was hard to watch... I still don't know how I manage to last till the end.

Sunset:

I only watch Bongwan/So young's parts and the Royal chef. I skip everyone in between especially the irritating royal consort.  I'm literally only watching for hye sun.