John Smith:

An unpopular opinion about Korean dramas, more specifically about leads in dramas. Beauty is not talent, but there is talent in being able to come across as beautiful on screen. Beauty can make up for some lack of talent, but no amount of talent can make up for not being beautiful.

This isn't unpopular- it's just straight facts and I will die on this hill. Kdramas, out of all the Eastern Asian countries, is INSANELY guilty of this and it's the reason why I can't watch them as often as I do other countries. Too much hype behind men and women actors who are absolutely terrible yet pull in an audience with their pretty face so they keep getting work- it's disgusting. Then you have the fans cheering for them/ gassing them up like they are amazing when- nah, you not so please take some lessons or just stop.

autumn carrot:

I couldn't agree more! I've noticed that I usually put kdramas on hold on episode 12 or 13 which just goes to show how the plot thins at this point and so the interest dwindles. Weirdly enough, I find that I can watch 20 episode shows easier than 16 episode shows. Something about 16 eps just means they drag the plot for 4 unnecessary episodes. 

Again, another opinion I completely agree with. I have no problem watching a Chinese historical that is often 40+ episodes, but a kdrama with only 16... just getting to the half way mark is like pulling teeth  with some of them.

Very unpopular opinion but I did not like Goblin - I just did not see the chemistry w/ the main leads and the 2nd leads were more interesting.  The main FL was just really annoying to me and I never saw her as anything other than a cringey teenage student.  I also hated Boys over Flowers but liked Heirs.  I also really want to like Chinese dramas but I can't get past the way all chinese female actresses sound so fake like a cutesy breathy doll.  It's so unnatural to my ears and I'm chinese!

Sunset:

@Tova I usually notice plastic surgery more easily in women, I find it distracting when the FL has a nose that looks like their nostrils are pinched in. For example Park Min Young. She is pretty NGL but what a contrast her old high school pic was. 

Then there's some minor actresses I noticed like Yoon Ji Won (her nose looked bad in The Game: Towards Zero) Kim Min Young (Uncontrollably Fond) her pointed nose does not match her round face, and Lee Sook (Red Shoes) no one will know what I'm talking about since this is some obscure 100 ep daily drama less people watch. But I found her quite unattractive in that drama I couldn't avoid looking at her, no offense. 

I completely agree - I especially hate it when the actress looks like she had a nose job but is in a saeguk and it's just so out of place that it completely takes me out of the drama.  Perfect example of this is The Red Sleeve - I had to drop it - I love the ML but the FL just made me not want to continue.  I know everybody  loves the Red Sleeve but ugh that actress looked like she got a nose job while working in the palace LOL.

Ann Mary:

healer was boring. Dragged on for ages in the beginning but the second half was okay I will admit. Also goblin wasn’t that great either. I had to quit at episode 8 because I got bored.

THANK YOU - you're the only person I encountered that did not get the appeal of both Healer and Goblin.  For Healer, I just did NOT get why the ML fell for the FL (Park Min Young), like there was nothing particularly special about her character and he just fell for her  after years of not being interested in relationships

As for Goblin, I found the FL incredibly annoying and childish - even when she grew up, I did not get the chemistry between the 2 leads.  I think the ML had more chemistry w/ the sword stuck in his chest than w/ the FL...

Naturdarm:
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo was absolutely disappointing, even the acting was bad. I didn't feel the chemistry between the lead actors and I believe their real life relationship was made up for the drama to attract more attention. I don't know why overseas fans liked it so much after it was such a flop in Korea

THIS ^ - I did not get the appeal of Weightlifting Fairy - I found the FL character annoying and her acting was just bad...I also DID NOT get the appeal of why the ML NJH would like the FL, she had NOTHING going for her AT ALL.

ShotaSidePart:
This isn't unpopular- it's just straight facts and I will die on this hill. Kdramas, out of all the Eastern Asian countries, is INSANELY guilty of this and it's the reason why I can't watch them as often as I do other countries. Too much hype behind men and women actors who are absolutely terrible yet pull in an audience with their pretty face so they keep getting work- it's disgusting. Then you have the fans cheering for them/ gassing them up like they are amazing when- nah, you not so please take some lessons or just stop.

I thought it was unpopular because the popular opinion seems to be that if they are good looking, they are talented too, and you cannot talk negative about someone's favorite actor. Even if you think talent is objective, appreciation of the talent is often subjective.

Hi all! Is this thread still going?  :)

I finally started Healer this week, but after watching three episodes I don’t think I can endure anymore.   The technology-spy aspect just seems like a very cheesy imitation of scenes from the American Jason Bourne movie franchise.

IMHO, the only consistently bad genre of Korean movies and dramas is action, with the worst being those with a modern spy action theme.