So, I'm starting to realize how much the music in a drama can affect my overall enjoyment (okay, well, I've known this, but I think I've finally reached a breaking point...)

So help me out, guys.  I need dramas where the music director isn't shoving ballads down my throat every 15 seconds.  Where there is some variety in the background music (not the same three songs, every episode, the whole series).  Where there is blessed SILENCE, at least every once in a while.  (how rare is that? haha)

I HATE ballads.  Almost always.  Even worse when they're overused, or the volume is twice what it should be.

Does that drama exist?  I mean, sometimes the drama is good enough that I can stand annoying music, but more and more, I've been unable to continue watching an episode because the music makes me cringe.

(BTW, the drama that has made me reach this breaking point is The Princess' Man.  If that helps anyone figure out my taste, lol.  The music really isn't bad in and of itself, but it's so constant and repetitive that it's making me crazy.  Help.)

as much as I can remember, Soredemo, Ikite Yuku has restrained music.. Shut Up: Flower Boy Band, though it's a musical drama, I remember it didn't have much music in the background

jessy:

as much as I can remember, Soredemo, Ikite Yuku has restrained music.. Shut Up: Flower Boy Band, though it's a musical drama, but I remember it didn't have much music in the background

In my experience, jdramas are much better about this in general.  That's why I was asking about kdramas specifically.   That one's on my PTW, and I'm going to watch it soon regardless, so thanks for the suggestion.

I've  seen SUFBB, I don't think the music annoyed me.  So I guess we could  consider that another good example by my picky criteria ;)

Tunnel (I didn't pay much attention to the music but it was mostly in the background to add to suspense)

Boy, sometimes I wish I could lock kdrama music directors in a room, tie them to a chair and treat them their own medicine. You may have better luck outside of kdrama, but you already now it.

Low for kdrama standards:

•  Stranger - no OSTs during episodes, only background music and sound effects. Same in Awl. Probably Argon too, because I have no memory of it and it'd fit more serious tone. I have generally good experience with Park Kyung Soo's dramas, but they can turn OTT dramatic. how do you feel about Kim Yong Soo?
  • Tomorrow With You - I remember appreciating it for its restrained use and low volume of music.
  • Avengers Social Club? - mostly instrumentals, witty references.
  • Queen of Mystery - relatively low on  ballads, great use of instrumentals.
  • SAVE ME! I may remember wrongly, but I believe the first song only comes at the big turning point and only appears once. And it sounds so unlike anything I heard in a kdrama.
  • Black? Chicago Typewriter, Tunnel?? - still on more toned down side for a kdrama.
  • Black Knight, believe it or not. It has some painful songs, but rarely remembers to put them on. Lots of silence, great use of music in fantasy scenes - sound effects are responsible for at least half of the Sharon's hype.
  • Just Between Lovers - ok, track list is 100% ballads, but they are used with a touch, don't flood you and even with only few on repeat it doesn't feel like listening to the same thing over and over, because purely instrumental parts of those songs are used as much as those with lyrics.
 namopanik:
Black Knight, believe it or not. It has some painful songs, but rarely remembers to put them on.

Haha, thanks for the tip :)

namopanik:
Stranger - no OSTs during episodes, only background music and sound effects. Same in Awl. Probably Argon too, because I have no memory of it and it'd fit more serious tone. I have generally good experience with Park Kyung Soo's dramas, but they can turn OTT dramatic. how do you feel about Kim Yong Soo?

I have Stranger on hold, and I'm sure I'll go back to it.  I loved Awl.  And against my better judgement, I love Kim Yong Soo.  :D  Sometimes his dramas miss the mark with the music (I seem to remember some very loud Coldplay somewhere in Equator Man, lol), but I feel like the music in his dramas is creative, at the very least. (And I  really liked that song they used in Babysitter.)

You also remind me that Save Me is on hold and I will get back to that ASAP!

I will definitely consider all of those when I finally finish The Princess' Man (on mute, if I have to).  I see Tunnel suggested twice, so maybe that's where to start.  Although I've also been itching to start Avengers Social Club...