Meow:
"By the way, XL was always in XY's eyes, like in the scene in the brothel."

Meow:
When XY talks about her childhood and how the fox mocked her in the cell, the camera moves to XY's eye. After a short piece of her story (she talked about her story, but we see so similar story XL), the camera moves from XL's eye. I adore this moment?

Meow:
In Episode 6, it signifies their similarity. 

Thank you for sharing this. I love these scenes too, which hints at the state of the heart.

Is the picture with Xiang Liu's death in her eyes a fan edit? I can't imagine it being in the drama, unless it is incorporated in the scene where she wakes up from a nightmare about his death, or later when she mourns his passing.

The novel specifically mentioned several instances.

This scene takes place when Xiang Liu comforts Xiao Yao after she finds out she was Chi Chen's daughter. Based on the leaked script, this will be changed to just her falling asleep afterwards with him keeping her company and a snowflake falling on her forehead just as she wakes up, which I hope that this is rectified in the drama itself:

Because she just cried, Xiao Yao’s eyes were extraordinarily clear and bright and Xiang Liu could see himself clearly reflected in her eyes. He reached out his hand and closed her eyes with a gentle caress. “I’m off!”

Xiao Yao felt a soft cool sensation brush over her forehead, a gentle touch that immediately vanished. Xiao Yao clasped her forehead in shock and opened her eyes to see the room was already empty before her.

-- Vol 3 Ch2  (Chapter 25)

And to bring perspective, Jing made this observation when he refused her passing air to him when she went swimming in the depths of the pool after thinking of Xiang Liu. This scene was cut from the drama:

Xiao Yao sprawled on a rock splashing water with her feet as she said to Jing, “Let’s go play in the ocean next time. It’s very beautiful in the bottom of the ocean and we won't get bored even after playing all night.”

“Sure.”

Xiao Yao thought about Xiang Liu and buried her face in her arms, falling silent. She did not know if he was Xiang Liu or Fangfeng Bei right now. Suddenly she grabbed Jing’s arm and forcefully pulled him into the pool. “Go with  me to the bottom of the pool.”

Without waiting for Jing's response, she put the purple fish core in her mouth, pulled Jing and dived into the depths of the pool.
:
Xiao Yao spat out the purple fish core, swam to Jing’s side and asked with embarrassment and frustration, “Why?”

Jing stared in the distance and said in a low voice, “Just now, you did not have me in your eyes.

-- Vol 2 Ch1  (Chapter 18)

AH :
It sounds like in Xuan Yuan even a demon of humble origins (and from another kingdom) could be welcomed into the royal court and achieve very high status if he had talent and made achievements. 

H19279:
Sheng Nong or Gaoxin was founded very long time ago and the society had various classes. The politics, society has hierchical structure. People sometimes were promoted and used due to their aristocratic background. 

Yes, there is disparate treatment of those from humble origins, demon or otherwise between the three kingdoms. Certainly, Xuan Yuan, by all intents and purposes, is a far better master to serve, based on that alone. Nonetheless, it also greatly depends on the reigning monarch. It is interesting and telling that by the period in LYF, all the kings were enlightened monarchs in one way or another, ultimately willing to step down in order to usher in peace and prosperity for their people in the Great Wilderness. 

AH :
In Shengnong army, do you think the numbers of deities vs. demons vs. humans would have been reflective of how powerful and/or how numerous those groups were in Shengnong?

That is an interesting point. It does speak to hierarchy doesn't it - a small elite controlling the greater masses. At the battle of Tong Er Pass where Xuanyuan Hui was killed and the Xuan Yuan army annihilated, it is telling that General Ying Long (the only one who opposed Hui going on the offensive) led the demon army to protect the human army so that they could retreat safely. Ying Long is one of my favourite characters in Once Promised - a protector through and through - and I can understand now why he was so infuriated when he saw how apparently degenerate Cang Xuan had become:

From a distance, Ying Long saw the blazing flames reaching the skies. Realising that the situation was irreversible, he immediately ordered a company of demons familiar with the terrain to lead the human army and retreat from the valley through an alternate route. He and two thousand demon soldiers stood guard before two mountain peaks, using their archery skills to cover the retreat of the human army. In addition, they used the river in the valley to set up a small water formation to block Yan Zhuan's pursuit.

-- Once Promised Vol1 Ch13

H19279:
When the previous Flame Emperor passed away, Chi You wanted to changed the army from its roots since the "high class" soldiers did not obey him. He changed the structure of the society by valueing people based on their ability, not their origin. 

H19279:
Shaohao also saw the conservative trend in Gaoxin vs. the progressive trend in Xuan Yuan. And how successful a progressive trend could bring. He wanted to apply it in Gaoxin, but he also saw the polarization in society happening in ShengNong when Chi You conducted the change too suddent and fast.

Unfortunately, Chi Chen's heavy-handed way of implementing the changes, including wiping out whole noble families, would be the direct cause of Xiao Yao's torture and death at Plum Forest years down the road, the daughter paying for the sins of the father.

Do you think he would have succeeded if he had been more restrained? I feel that he felt that the change had to be done swiftly, to better consolidate Yu Xiang's position on the throne, especially when there is so much infighting within Shen Nong itself.

liddi:
Yes, there is disparate treatment of those from humble origins, demon or otherwise between the three kingdoms. Certainly, Xuan Yuan, by all intents and purposes, is a far better master to serve, based on that alone. Nonetheless, it also greatly depends on the reigning monarch. It is interesting and telling that by the period in LYF, all the kings were enlightened monarchs in one way or another, ultimately willing to step down in order to usher in peace and prosperity for their people in the Great Wilderness. 

Interesting. 

And if I remember correctly there was a passage in LYF where XY observed that over the course of Shao Hao's reign deities, demons and humans began to live closer together and in greater harmony in Gao Xing?

liddi:
That is an interesting point. It does speak to hierarchy doesn't it - a small elite controlling the greater masses.

Yes, that's what it seemed to suggest to me. 

liddi:
At the battle of Tong Er Pass where Xuanyuan Hui was killed and the Xuan Yuan army annihilated, it is telling that General Ying Long (the only one who opposed Hui going on the offensive) lead the demon army to protect the human army so that they could retreat safely. Ying Long is one of my favourite characters in Once Promised

liddi:
-- Once Promised Vol1 Ch13

He seems like a very compelling character. Thank you for translating that part!

liddi:
I can understand now why he was so infuriated when he saw how apparently degenerate Cang Xuan had become

And for tying it back to LYF! ^^

AH :
And if I remember correctly there was a passage in LYF where XY observed that over the course of Shao Hao's reign deities, demons and humans began to live closer together and in greater harmony in Gao Xing?

I think so... but suddenly I can't recall where in the novel she said this? Do you remember which chapter it was? Was it before or after his abdication?

AH :
He seems like a very compelling character. Thank you for translating that part!

You're welcome! Thank you for giving me the chance to share. When I do get the time, I really would love to translate the battle at Ze Province when Yi Peng tried to flood the city. That scene brings me to tears.

Is it ironic that for all that Once Promised is a romance novel, I am far far more invested in the world events and the other characters?

liddi:
I think so... but suddenly I can't recall where in the novel she said this? Do you remember which chapter it was? Was it before or after his abdication?

Chapter 14, the day after XL met XY in her female form for the first time, many decades before the Grand Emperor's abdication:

She arrived at the Tu Shan residence in Ying Province but heard from the guard outside, “Master Jing went shopping likely to buy local products to take home for the family.”

Xiao Yao thought Jing would rest but he went out with the others likely to not let people know he was out all night. Remembering his two fox tail dolls, if he wanted to conceal his whereabouts, it would be hard for the world to find out what he was up to.

With Jing not around, Xiao Yao was bored and didn’t want to go right back so decided to walk around town. The last time she was here she was still a kid. Back then only low powered Gods lived here, it was lovely but not very lively. Now there were many humans living here, and even demons, and everyone mixed together made the entire town bustling. Everyone appeared to coexist as equals and were mannered and polite.

Xiao Yao felt so proud of her dad. Since she came back, she could tell her dad wasn’t happy, and he said he used everything he had to exchange for this, so this was likely what her dad wanted!

And when I was looking for that I ran across this as well, from when the Yellow Emperor handed his crown over to CX in chapter 28:

No one announced a bow and by now the Yellow Emperor had removed his crown, but as he passed everyone knelt down and lowered their heads, willingly bowing to this weak old man.

It was the first time all the men standing at the peak of their own power bowed to him not because of his greater power but because they so respected him.

This man created one legendary feat after another. He broke the power stratus between the gods, the humans, and the demons. He told everyone that they were all equal. He shattered the belief that only royalty and nobles had all the chances in life, he proved that even the most ordinary of men could achieve the impossible. It was only what one dared to achieve so that even the most ordinary of men could become a hero. And now, he was creating yet another legend before their eyes.

You can hate this man, you can attack him and curse him, but even his enemies could not deny that his greatness was something they had to hold up.

liddi:
You're welcome! Thank you for giving me the chance to share. When I do get the time, I really would love to translate the battle at Ze Province when Yi Peng tried to flood the city. That scene brings me to tears.

Don't feel obligated of course, but if you do ever decide to translate it I'd be very excited to read it. ^^

AH :
Chapter 14, the day after XL met XY in her female form for the first time, many decades before the Grand Emperor's abdication:

AH :
And when I was looking for that I ran across this as well, from when the Yellow Emperor handed his crown over to CX in chapter 28:

Thank you so much for compiling these excerpts! It brings so much added context especially after Once Promised, and one could almost forgive Shao Hao's ruthlessness and brutality in his bloody path to the throne, and the Yellow Emperor's actions which led to so much tragedy. Ultimately, both men's vision and ambitions brought about greater good for the people of the world.

AH :
Don't feel obligated of course, but if you do ever decide to translate it I'd be very excited to read it. ^^

I would love to be able to share it too - the question is just a matter of availability and time. Fingers crossed!

liddi:
千方相 Thousands of Directions   (Lost You Forever prequel) excerpt

Hou Tu* looked down at everyone and said with a smile, "The only ones in the Central Plains able to mobilise so many highly trained soldiers all at once to hunt me down, can only be Gong Gong's rebel army. However, Gong Gong's character is very upright and unyielding. If he came to Zhi Yi City, he would not stay in the background and have Xing Tian lead the attack. I believe the person leading the troops this time must be military advisor Xiang Liu."

"Lord Hou Tu is able to predict matters with great accuracy. It is indeed I who have led my troops to take your life." A man wearing a black cloak came out. He removed the cloak and black hair cascaded down his back, neither tied nor drawn up, save for a white forehead band. His robes were as white as snow, untouched by even a speck of dust and his features were delicately beautiful except for his very strange eyes which glowed red, making people fear to look longer at him.

With a clear shout, he vaulted on to a large condor and flew up. Golden feathers on top of the large condor's head stood up like a golden crown. The feathers all over its body were black** except for a pair of white wings.

Xiang Liu smiled and said, "I have long heard of the bravery of the black-winged snake. Today, I can see that it is not an exaggeration indeed. My white-winged golden condor usually feeds on venomous snakes, and is very adept in catching snakes."

Do you remember our discussions about Hou Tu (Luo Jia in the revised edition) being a 黑翼 (black winged) 化蛇  Huà'shé   (literally "transformed snake")?  I finally realised from Once Promised that we were mistaken (though to be fair, the excerpt from Thousands of Directions was a little misleading). Actually the black-winged transformed snake was Hou Tu's winged mount, and does not refer to Hou Tu's true form itself. So the text was basically talking about Xiang Liu's mount - a condor - being the perfect nemesis for Hou Tu's mount - a snake.

Although Hou Tu himself was descended from the Shen Nong royal family, he was actually half-deity, half demon - his mother was a lowly demon - hence bullied by other deity children. So he was a half-blooded deity after all.

liddi:
Thank you so much for compiling these excerpts!

You're welcome!

liddi:
It brings so much added context especially after Once Promised, and one could almost forgive Shao Hao's ruthlessness and brutality in his bloody path to the throne, and the Yellow Emperor's actions which led to so much tragedy. Ultimately, both men's vision and ambitions brought about greater good for the people of the world.

When I read LYF I really didn't feel like they could ever fully redeem themselves for all of the many terrible things they had done, but perhaps their guilt for those things was the necessary motivator for at least some of the good they did later in life that made it possible for the novel to end with a world that was unified, truly at peace, and more equal and more equitable than it had been in the ten thousand years before?

liddi:
Do you remember our discussions about Hou Tu (Luo Jia in the revised edition) being a 黑翼 (black winged) 化蛇  Huà'shé   (literally "transformed snake")?

I remember because I thought I might draw on it for my LYF / Healer mash-up AU headcanon and ended up googling various mythical winged snakes. ^^

liddi:
Actually the black-winged transformed snake was Hou Tu's winged mount, and does not refer to Hou Tu's true form itself. So the text was basically talking about Xiang Liu's mount - a condor - being the perfect nemesis for Hou Tu's mount - a snake.

That makes sense. 

liddi:
Although Hou Tu himself was descended from the Shen Nong royal family, he was actually half-deity, half demon - his mother was a lowly demon - hence bullied by other deity children. So he was a half-blooded deity after all.

If I remember correctly, XY noted (when Sir Bi was speaking with TSJ) that demons also had strict distinctions between status? 

So I guess that also translated to how demons and part-demons were treated by deities? Like, in a very status-focused society, the Tushan Clan members being part deity part demon and descended from the original Nine-Tailed Fox that was at the top of the demon hierarchy would be viewed differently than a part deity part demon person who was descended from a low status demon?

AH :
When I read LYF I really didn't feel like they could ever fully redeem themselves for all of the many terrible things they had done, but perhaps their guilt for those things was the necessary motivator for at least some of the good they did later in life that made it possible for the novel to end with a world that was unified, truly at peace, and more equal and more equitable than it had been in the ten thousand years before?

True. I think it easier for me perhaps because I loved them first in LYF. I believe guilt and remorse was a great motivator for the Yellow Emperor - when he finally realised how wrong he had been, but it was too late for those he wronged. But in Shao Hao's case, he genuinely loved Xiao Yao from the day she was born - a love was not driven  by guilt nor bound by a promise - and he continued to love her and did everything in his power for her, in spite of the fact that she was the daughter of his love rival. However, his act of abdicating in favour of Cang Xuan would have been tied to his own understanding and vision, while his choice of successor, is clearly tied to his own guilt towards Qing Yang and Zhong Yi.

AH :
If I remember correctly, XY noted (when Sir Bi was speaking with TSJ) that demons also had strict distinctions between status? 

Yes - he had to control the compulsion he inherently felt to bow to Jing because of the strict hierarchy among demons.

AH :
Like, in a very status-focused society, the Tushan Clan members being part deity part demon and descended from the original Nine-Tailed Fox that was at the top of the demon hierarchy would be viewed differently than a part deity part demon person who was descended from a low status demon?

You know... I never saw the Tushan clan as being viewed to be anything but pure deity, even though they were descended from the Nine-tailed Fox. Do you remember any parts of the novel that addresses this? Which makes me wonder why the distinction between them and Xiang Liu, as a Nine-headed sea demon, which is the king of the seas. 

liddi:

It's adorable! I (I mean my daughter) would certainly love it! Can you please send me the links for both the mini dolls and the unofficial Fangfeng Bei?

You mean there's no mini Xiang Liu? How could they?! From the looks of it, we won't have the chance to get an electrocuted Fangfeng Bei either. 

Here's the link to the unofficial FFB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225857734849

I can't find anything for the mini-dolls, at least not on any site that is available for international buyers. It's not on AlieE at the moment. The picture was from a fan group, they might be buying from TaoBao or somewhere else. If you find a link, please share. 

Do you get a brand called Positive Coffee where you are liddi? Cause I saw that they are doing a promotion with LYF and they have all these cute XL/FFB totes

Looks like they are also releasing figurines. There goes my paycheck this month. 

Kokuto:

I almost typed 'poor ...'   but quickly regained my senses.

He's pitiful; his sense of self and worth are completely tied to another person. But, no. His lack of responsibility, culminating in his abandonment of a child means that I have no pity left for him. Nothing but contempt. 

liddi:

Shucks! You mean my attempt at grass snake grey line was not successful? Darn... gotta try harder!

Well, the fact that you had me questioning meant it worked really well! The only thing is that I keep thinking that liddi has too much sense to like this character, or at least not find some of his behaviour troubling.

HeadInTheClouds:
Here's the link to the unofficial FFB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225857734849

Thank you very much! So tempted... so very tempted... especially with the dog mask!

I read comments on Taobao saying that the hair is still a little too short (and does the electrocuted look too!) though it can allow the application of hair extensions, which doesn't seem to be supplied along with the doll.

HeadInTheClouds:
I can't find anything for the mini-dolls, at least not on any site that is available for international buyers. It's not on AlieE at the moment. The picture was from a fan group, they might be buying from TaoBao or somewhere else. If you find a link, please share. 

Me neither, not even on Taobao, which is surprising. Will share if I do see a link.

HeadInTheClouds:
Looks like they are also releasing figurines. There goes my paycheck this month. 

It's gorgeous! Any links to order yet? I'm sure someone(s) in my household would adore it too though my wallet might disagree.

HeadInTheClouds:
Well, the fact that you had me questioning meant it worked really well! The only thing is that I keep thinking that liddi has too much sense to like this character, or at least not find some of his behaviour troubling.

LOL. I must sign up for inscrutability classes from a certain Nine-headed Demon!

桐华tonghua

3-13-15 From micro interview

#韠 Lost You Forever# Because there is an important attribute of "should not love" in front of this person, you know the answer in your heart.

@阿 sangisa nice and cool mushroom: Question for @同华tonghua:
If you fell in love with someone you weren't meant to love, would you choose love or fulfillment?

This is why Lover Bug are important, Why they are so stupid. 

Do you think we can expect an alternative ending if we are shown their obvious love for each other?

Svetlanchik89:

Do you think we can expect an alternative ending if we are shown their obvious love for each other?

I don't think so.

Though, I am curious if the extra two episodes will give us more scenes?

liddi:
You know... I never saw the Tushan clan as being viewed to be anything but pure deity, even though they were descended from the Nine-tailed Fox. Do you remember any parts of the novel that addresses this? Which makes me wonder why the distinction between them and Xiang Liu, as a Nine-headed sea demon, which is the king of the seas.

I  can't remember which episode I watched it in, but I vaguely remember them saying that Tushan clan descended from the 9 tailed fox god, not demon.  So, maybe the 'first ancestor' is a god, but the rest are demons?  It doesn't really make sense.

Xiang Liu is unique, isn't he?