windiaaa041293:

桐华tonghua

3-13-15 From micro interview

#韠 Lost You Forever# Because there is an important attribute of "should not love" in front of this person, you know the answer in your heart.

@阿 sangisa nice and cool mushroom: Question for @同华tonghua:
If you fell in love with someone you weren't meant to love, would you choose love or fulfillment?

This is why Lover Bug are important, Why they are so stupid. 

Heh ... no comment.

Thank you for this info.

liddi:
I believe guilt and remorse was a great motivator for the Yellow Emperor - when he finally realised how wrong he had been, but it was too late for those he wronged. But in Shao Hao's case, he genuinely loved Xiao Yao from the day she was born - a love was not driven  by guilt nor bound by a promise - and he continued to love her and did everything in his power for her, in spite of the fact that she was the daughter of his love rival. However, his act of abdicating in favour of Cang Xuan would have been tied to his own understanding and vision, while his choice of successor, is clearly tied to his own guilt towards Qing Yang and Zhong Yi.

For the Yellow Emperor, his guilt seemed to mainly be related to his family and not the wars he started and perpetuated, despite all his talk about the good of the world and the good of the people after he abdicated. 

The terrible dynamics he created between his wives and children, how those dynamics led to so many of their early deaths, how he killed one of his sons in connection with a suspected plot against his life (which led him to treat CX differently even though he secretly amassed his own army before the Yellow Emperor's succession plan was announced), how using Ah Heng in the last battle led to her "death", and how the way he treated his family for so long left him very alone for a long time, until he changed his ways.

For Shao Hao, it seemed like he suppressed the horror and guilt that he felt about the things that he had done to his family for most of his life (until visiting Ah Heng impacted his health and opened the flood gates) but he did feel extreme guilt for the way that he failed to fulfill his promise to Qing Yang and failed to help Ah Heng when she begged him to save Chang Yi. I felt like that guilt led him to put great effort into protecting, sheltering and mentoring CX and (as you mentioned) choosing CX to be his successor. 

And then when he was injured and he was constantly haunted by the things that he did to his family, that played a big role in the timing of him abdicating his throne to CX and his decision to move with half the court to Xuan Yuan (along with his general vision for peace and the good of the people). 

For XY, I felt that all of his efforts to protect her were primarily motivated by his genuine love for her but there was also a very strong desire to do right by Ah Heng by ensuring that XY was safe, did not repeat her mother's tragic fate, and (after TSJ convinced him that XY was prepared for it) got to see Ah Heng one more time, no matter the physical toll it took on him. 

As for his efforts to create more harmony and equality between deities, demons and humans... I'm not sure where that came from... if that was motivated by guilt or if he had another reason for pursuing that goal. XY said that he told her about his efforts and maybe he mentioned his motive there, but I can't remember when that conversation happened... other than that it would be before chapter 14. 

liddi:
You know... I never saw the Tushan clan as being viewed to be anything but pure deity, even though they were descended from the Nine-tailed Fox. Do you remember any parts of the novel that addresses this? Which makes me wonder why the distinction between them and Xiang Liu, as a Nine-headed sea demon, which is the king of the seas. 

I have definitely compiled some of this information in a thread before, but I can't find it so I'll re-compile it. ^^

I feel like the reason that Xiang Liu was not revered by deities despite his "king of the seas" status while the Tushan Clan was revered by deities (and they had their own "king of the foxes" status) came down to a few factors. 

Nine-Tailed Fox / King of the Fox Tribe
Nine-Headed Sea Demon / King of the Sea
Powers

The Tushan Clan does not have the strongest powers out of the top clans, but they have relatively high powers that cover a variety of things that are extremely useful for situations other than direct combat:

• forseeing calamaties
  • a spiritual eye that can see through most transformations / masking spells / enchantments / mazes
  • transforming
  • tracking
  • avoiding being tracked / concealment
  • mystifying / creating illusions / removing pain
Powers

XL had the highest power in the ocean and on the battlefield in Dahuang. 
Wealth

The Tushan family was the richest family in Dahuang (according to XY's observation) and their wealth rivaled the wealth of any kingdom.
Wealth

XL was born with no wealth and never seemed interested in accumulating it. Although he seemed capable of collecting the rarest and most precious items from the ocean in order to create XY's bow. 
Deity / Demon / Family Status /Lineage

• TSJ said that the Tushan Clan was not only from the god tribe, as their ancestor was the original legendary Tushan nine-tailed fox from the time of Emperor Pan Gu. 
  • The nine-tailed fox is a legendary godly creature like a pheonix. Sometimes they are also called demons. 
  • The nine-tailed fox is the king of the fox tribe and the Tushan clan leader is the king of the fox king / kingdom. Fox demons like Sir Bi feel compelled to be subservient to the Tushan clan leader.  
  • The Tushan clan is one of the Great Four Clans of the Middle Plains and has intermarried with other top deity families, including the Xiling family, another one of the Great Four Clans. 
Deity / Demon / Family Status / Lineage

• XL is fully a sea demon, but capable of easily passing as a deity when he is FFB.
  • He was born from an egg and did not know his parents, so he has no known family status or lineage.  
  • His nine heads and nine lives make him unique and legendary. 
  • Due to the fact that he is the greatest power in the ocean, sea creatures like merpeople do his bidding. 
Connections and Influence

• The Tushan clan's businesses and messenger network are everywhere and they do all kinds of business with everyone, from Gao Xing to Xuan Yuan to the Shengnong remnant army. 
  • Even the royal families of Shengnong and Xuan Yuan have borrowed money from them. 
  • They have immense power and influence amongst both deitities and demons. 
Connections and Influence

• The Shengnong remnant army is geographically isolated, as their small numbers mean that they must keep to the mountains outside of QS town where they have a geographic advantage and can easily defend their position, but presumably they would have their own spy network that would operate in other areas. And XL sometimes conducted his own missions in other areas. 
  • XL's alter-egos (FFB / his killer-for-hire persona) are secret and don't seem to carry much influence. 
  • He has an unknown connection with the Gui Fang clan. 
  • He has the bug connection with XY, but doesn't leverage it for influence. 

-----

Chapter 4:

“That snake, what happened afterwards?”

“Died!”

“You killed it?”

“No, the King of the fox tribe.”

“Nine-tailed fox?”

Xiao Liu shut his eyes. “The Nine-tailed fox wanted to kill me but the snake believed only it could eat me so it blocked the path of that vicious fox…so it ended up dead!”

Xiang Liu softly chuckled. “Interesting. And the fox?”

“I killed it.”

“You’re that powerful?”

-----

Chapter 5:

“Let me test you guys first. Other than Xuan Yuan, Gao Xing, and Sheng Nong, within the great wilderness what are the other powerful and famous clans?”

“Who doesn’t know that? Below the Three Imperial Families, on the top of the pecking order are the Four Great Clans – the Chi Shui family, the Xi Ling family, the Tu Shan family, and the Gui Fang family. Other than the Four Great Clans, in the Middles Plans are the Six Big Families. And below the Six Big Families are various moderately powerful smaller clans such as the Jin Tian family to the South, the Fang Feng family to the North….. But none of them can compare to the Four Great Clans.”

The Tu Shan clan is based in the city of Qing Qiu. From the dawn of time until now, every generation is in trade. Their businesses blanket every part of the great wilderness. They have so much money it’s not even considered money. I hear even the imperial family of the Xuan Yuan and Sheng Nong kingdoms have borrowed money from the clan. It’s genuinely wealth that can rival a kingdom. What I’m going to say involves the Tu Shan clan.”

The appearance of the Tu Shan family Second Lord caused Qing Shui Town to get even more lively as people jostled for opportunities and advancement. Everyone was discussing him. Even Butcher Gao lamented to Lao Mu that all the shops on the street belonged to the Tu Shan family. Chuan Zi and Tian Er didn’t think anything of it since those people were like stars, so far above their reach. Lao Mu had his questions but one look at Xiao Liu’s calm face and it relieved him. It can’t be, it can’t be Shi Qi!

“He just went home, he might not be able to utilize the family money and manpower.”

“You underestimate him! Just a pallet of medicine, to him it’s nothing. Tu Shan clan does any type of business. Back then, he sold way more dangerous items to the Sheng Nong army.

-----

Chapter 7:

“Why do we need to keep talking about him?”

“Because the Tu Shan family’s businesses blanket the entire vast wilderness, and he represents the future of the clan and that will determine whether the Tu Shan clan is my friend or foe.”

“Then you go get chummy with him, why ask me?”

“He listens to you.”

“Stop!” Xuan’s voice was filled with scorn, “How do you prove it was them? A lot of people in the vast wilderness can shoot an arrow, and this arrow can be bought anywhere.”

Wu Cheng thought about it and dejectedly lowered his head. If it was the Fang Feng family, then it had to be the best archer Miss Fang Feng. She could be dealt with, but behind her stood the Tu Shan clan, one of the Four Great Clans of the vast wilderness. Even an Emperor had to be wary.

-----

Chapter 8:

The only one left was Tu Shan Jing. The Tu Shan clan businesses blanketed the vast wilderness, including selling to the Sheng Nong resistance army. They had to have secret passages to move items in and out of town. But right now the Grand Emperor of Gao Xing and the Xuan Yuan Prince both wanted him. If Tu Shan Jing helped him, then he would be making an enemy out of the entire world. Would Tu Shan Jing be willing to make an enemy of both Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing for one little Wen Xiao Liu?

Xiao Liu was curious and wanted to touch, but Jing Ye slapped his hand away. “This is a doll made from the fox tail of a ten thousand year old nine-tailed fox. It’s extremely rare. The nine-tailed fox is the best at transformation and the tail is where all the power gathers. These two tails have tens of thousands of years of power. Using it to make fake people, even if the dead former Emperors came back to life with their powers they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.”

Jing walked up to Xiao Liu. “If you change your looks, can it avoid all detection?” Xiao Liu hesitated and then nodded. Jing smiled. “Then we’ll go with the plan.”

Xiao Liu’s heart was thumping wildly. “You….you always knew I could transform my face?”

The power of transformation wasn’t a very hard power to learn, but only those with great power using it can truly transform and avoid detection. With Xiao Liu’s power, no one would believe him using the skill could avoid detection using a magical object seeker.

Jing said, “The Tu Shan clan aren’t simply from the God tribe. One of our ancestors was the far-reaching original nine-tailed fox. So the bloodline of the Tu Shan family can all transform. I have the spiritual eye and can usually see through all transformation and masking spells and powers. That was how I was able to see Ah Nian’s true face and knew to avoid her. But everything about you seems real even to me, except my instinct tells me your face is fake. So…..that is why I can’t leave you. If I leave and you disappeared, it would be without a trace.”

Xiao Liu was stunned. Jing knew all along that he was fake.

------

Chapter 9:

“One day I met a man and he candidly admitted he was a demon and was gravely injured and was seeking medicines. He talked to me so I talked to you. Initially I was very wary so I sat far from him and ran away after a few words. After a long time and I kept testing him, he never expressed any ulterior motive towards me. So I talked more to him and he wasn’t afraid of my changing face. He changed his face and I changed my face and we had a competition and had a great laugh about it. In front of him I didn’t feel like a monster, I didn’t feel scared so I gradually trusted him. One night he caught me and wanted to take me away. The snake demon got mad and wanted to stop him but he killed it. He took me to a far-off Southern place where the mountains were tall and perilous. He hid me in a remote cave where he built a nest and a cage to raise me in. He said he was the Nine-tailed fox, a hundred years ago my mother’s………friend cut one of his tails off. He was greatly injured and his powers were severely diminished. Because of my special body, he wanted to raise me for tens of years to become the best medicine.”

“That bastard fox demon hated my mom, and not just because my mom’s………friend injured him. It was also because my mom killed my ninth uncle and he was best friends with my ninth uncle. Whenever he thought of my ninth uncle, he would curse my mom with the most vicious loathsome insults. But mom was dead so he could only torture me. I was raised by him for 30 years, tortured by him for 30 years. One night he said that in two more full moon nights then he could eat me. He sang a sad song and got drunk and didn’t shut the cage completely. I had been devising how to run away for 30 years so I opened the cage and came out and secretly poisoned his drink then snuck back in the cage. He didn’t sense anything odd and the second day I tried to get him drunk by purposely mentioning my ninth uncle. He beat me up and started drinking again and ingested the poison that I developed from all the weird things he had been feeding me. He collapsed on the floor and returned to his true fox form. I climbed out the cage and he opened his eyes and looked at me. I picked up a knife and cut off each of his tails. After I cut off a tail, I would show it to him. His entire fox mouth was covered in blood but in his eyes was the sense of release. He closed his eyes and I lit a fire and burned the entire cave down.”

Xiao Liu handed the tail to Zhuan Xu. “The Nine-tailed fox is as rare a beast as the phoenix. I can transform myself so this tail has no use for me. You keep it, in the future you can use it to help you transform and break through mystic enchantments.”

Zhuan Xu was so angry that the anger even rubbed off on Shi Qi who carried the Nine-tailed fox lineage. “They say the Nine-tailed fox is adept at transformation. What problem does Xiao Yao have that she can’t return to her true form?”

-----

Chapter 10:

Shi Qi smiled. “I’ll take this fox tail that Zhuan Xu doesn’t want. After I create a magical spiritual object for you, I’ll give it to you.”

Xiao Liu nodded. If the Nine-tailed fox is the King of the fox tribe, then the leader of the Tu Shan clan would be the King of the fox kings. There was no one else in this world better than Tu Shan Jing who knew how to use the fox tail.

-----

Chapter 11:

Xiao Liu didn’t know how long she sat there until a person walked by and sat down beside her. The faint herbal scent wafted over but Xiao Liu didn’t turn her head because she knew that even if he saw her face, it was not her real face. She smiled at the passing boats and her heart fluttered with a small happiness.

After some moments, Xiao Liu asked “Not afraid of being followed?”

“My ancestor is the fox. There is only my following, few can track me.”

Xiao Liu remembered being captured by Xiang Liu the first time and how he found her. The second time when Zhuan Xu tossed her in prison, he again found her. He really was very adept at tracking.

-----

Chapter 16:

This was Xiao Yao’s solution to deal with Xiang Liu. The entire world was covered with the Tu Shan messenger network so if Xiao Yao had money then she could send it to Qing Shui Town. She had been sending him poisons every 3-4 months, the last time sent from Gao Xing. She wondered if Xiang Liu got it? He ought to, otherwise with his petty personality, no matter how busy he was he would find time to cause her trouble.

Xiao Yao didn’t know what to feel. She had been learning archery from Fang Feng Bei for 16 months and with the Tu Shan clan’s information network and her and Fang Feng Bei’s identities, Jing must have heard about it a long time ago.

Jing asked, “Have you ever been to Qing Qiu?”

“No, for a while I hated the Nine-tailed fox and legend has it the Nine-tailed fox came from Qing Qiu so I hated Qing Qiu as well. Twice I bypassed it.” Xiao Yao suddenly was very worried. “The Nine-tailed fox I killed, it wasn’t one of your relatives?”

“He probably was.” The Nine-tailed fox was very rare, and the few existing ones really were all relatives of the Tu Shan clan.

“What?” Xiao Yao’s mouth dropped open.

Jing couldn’t help but burst out laughing. “Relative or no relative, he had it coming based on what he did to you. Even if someone told my grandmother about it, you’re still in the right.”

Xiao Yao patted her chest. “You scared the daylights out of me!”

-----

Chapter 18:

Zhi Yi was once the capital of the Sheng Nong Kingdom and was severely damaged in the battle between Sheng Nong and Xuan Yuan. The riches faded and the people suffered. A hundred years ago, Sheng Nong tribe’s Little Zhu Rong was tasked with becoming the castle warden of Zhi Yi Castle and running the entire Middle Plains. He convinced the Qing Qiu Tu Shan clan’s Grand Madam to make Zhi Yi the center of the Tu Shan businesses again. Little Zhu Rong’s wife was the daughter of the Chi Sui clan leader, and the Chi Sui clan was the head of the Four Great Clans, so with the support of the Chi Sui and Tu Shan clans within a short time Zhi Yi Castle was once again the most prosperous bustling place in all of the Middle Plains.

Xing Yue laughed. “I heard from my grandmother that the Xi Ling clan is also related to the Tu Shan clan through marriage a few generations ago as well. If we go down our relations, not sure if we’re cousins, or aunts, or grand-aunts.”

They had walked into a room by then and everyone laughed to hear that. Xiao Yao sighed and realized why the Yellow Emperor saw the Middle Plains as a challenge. All the bloodlines were connected and even if the clans and families were rivals, when push come to shove they would all unite against an outsider enemy. Even more surprising was to hear how powerful the Xi Ling clan and her maternal grandmother were. Everyone wanted to be related to the Xi Ling clan and Lei Zhu, and in comparison the bloodline of the Xuan Yuan Yellow Emperor was less influential here.

-----

Chapter 19:

Fang Feng Bei took Xiao Yao to a weapons store owned by the Tu Shan clan to select a new bow.

Jing didn’t have the heart to get rid of Hou but started clipping his wings.

During the investigation into the assassins, the shop owners of many Tu Shan clan businesses started getting replaced and this went on for three months before it ended.

The Tu Shan clan businesses extended through the vast wilderness and across all industries. Hou supported Cang Lin and Yu Yang so ever since Zhuan Xu arrived in the Middle Plains, the Tu Shan clan businesses kept tabs on Zhuan Xu and would try to undermine him.

This time Jing rearranged the clan businesses, it also took some pressure off Feng Long and Zhuan Xu.

-----

Chapter 21:

At that moment the satchel on Jing’s waist suddenly snapped and fell on the ground. Jing stared and then picked it up and felt a ominous feeling. Xiao Yao gave him this satchel! Jing’s face changed and he rushed out the door with nothing on his mind but one thought: Xiao Yao, he had to find Xiao Yao immediately.

Yi Yang and Lan Mu were both stunned and Yi Yang called out, “Jing, Jing, where are you going?”

The Grand Madam said, “Something must’ve happened. Jing can sense it but doesn’t know exactly what it is.”

Yi Yang and Lan Mu looked at the Grand Madam and she explained, “The true descendants of the Tu Shan clan bloodline possess this power. It cannot be described or explained but is a sensation of something big about to happen. From the ancient times until now, the Tu Shan clan leader may not have the strongest powers but we have become one of the most powerful clans because of this special ability which helps the clan avoid calamity.” The Grand Madam glanced at Hou and then at the Nine-tailed fox drawing on the wall before saying, “Jing is destined to be the next clan leader!”

Jing tensed up and brought out the little astral fox and asked it to track Xiao Yao. The Nine-tailed fox was a born tracker and good at concealment, plus Jing kept Xiao Yao on his heart and mind all the time so even if her scent was mixed with many, he could still differentiate if there was even the slightest smell of her.

Jing was born with the spiritual eye that could see through any enchantments and mazes, plus with the help of the little astral fox, he tracked her to another canyon. 

-----

Chapter 22:

Jing didn’t care and said, “Xiao Yao, I hoped to be your husband, to openly be able to have you. But you are a Princess and only the identity of Tu Shan Jing can match up to you. So that is why I was reluctant to throw away the only chance I could openly marry you. But I was wrong! I don’t want to be Tu Shan Jing anymore, if I can’t openly have you it doesn’t matter. Even if I have no position in your life, if all I am is your slave, then that is fine with me. I just want to be by your side and look after you.”

Jing said, “I once wanted to stand before the Grand Emperor and openly propose to Xiao Yao. So I endured and endured, but after this time almost losing her, I know that nothing else is more important than just being with her. I am willing to give everything up. If my grandmother won’t let Tu Shan Jing end the engagement, then I will give up being Tu Shan Jing.”

What the name Tu Shan Jing represented, Zhuan Xu was fully aware. It wasn’t just wealth that rivaled a kingdom, it was also power that could influence the world. Zhuan Xu met all sorts of men but he had never met a man who was willing to give everything up for a woman. Zhuan Xu was touched and said, “Actually, I can’t decide for Xiao Yao, she decides for herself.”

-----

Chapter 23:

The Tu Shan clan residence was built on the side of Qing Qiu Mountain, from the dawn of time until now, tens of generations of Tu Shan clan leaders have built and expanded on it. There were tens of courtyards and when the waning sun shone down on it, it illuminated all the bricks and trees that made the entire residence glow with life.

That night Jing didn’t go back to Qing Qiu.

That night, Hou also didn’t go back to Qing Qiu. Lan Mu was long used to it and never dared speak a word about it. That night she turned into a fox and snuck to check on Fang Feng Yi Yang and saw that she was also missing. In sixty years, it wasn’t the first time she discovered both Hou and Yi Yang gone at the same time. Lan Mu hid under the blankets and cried all night, not because of Hou not coming home all night, but because she discovered something she shouldn’t know and she was absolutely terrified.

Perhaps because all nine-tailed foxes are white so the Tu Shan clan preferred white, the altar was decked out in white and below the altar were jade beams carved in various displays of nine-tailed foxes.

Jing wore the most formal attire and first prayed to the Heavens and the ancestors, before thanking the Grand Madam, and finally ascending to the altar to accept from the clan elder the nine-tailed fox jade emblem which represented all the Tu Shan clan wealth and power. The two elders placed a white nine-tailed fox lined coat around Jing which represented the king of the foxes and the Tu Shan clan being the ruler of the entire fox kingdom.

The ceremonial horns sounded and the elders announced the completion of the ceremony.

Jing turned and walked to the edge of the altar to look down on all the Tu Shan clan members sitting below.

Behind him a huge white spectral nine-tailed fox suddenly appeared, with nine fluffy tails that danced like dragons in the sky, covering almost the entire air above them in a display of the power and magic of the nine-tailed fox tribe.

Such glorious omen did not always appear in every clan leader initiation ceremony so all the clan members kneeled to the ground in supplication and bowed to Jing. Even the Grand Madam kneeled with tears in her eyes and murmured, “May the ancestors continue to watch over the clan in future generations.”

-----

Chapter 24:

The Tu Shan clan was definitely the richest family in the world and their supplies were even more sprawling than even in the Palace.

-----

Chapter 26:

Jing anxiously put one hand on Xiao Yao’s wrist while his other clutched the wine cup and transformed the wine into a fog. Everyone knew the Tu Shan clan had the power to mystify which was very useful for taking away pain. No one thought it weird what Jing was doing.

-----

Chapter 31:

She slowly walked along the Qing Qiu streets. Qing Qiu was close to Zhi Yi but very different since the people of Qing Qiu were very well off thanks to the Tu Shan clan. The people walking on the streets ambled because they could afford to enjoy life.

-----

Chapter 33:

“After my sister-in-law died, I started to really take a look at my situation with Fang Feng Yi Yang. I tried to recollect that night and even used a highly powered fox demon to hypnotize me and bring forth my hidden memories. But I could never remember that night. All my memory was being in a daze and mistaking Yi Yang for you and you took off your clothes and embraced me and wanted to make love, but I tried hard to push you away………and then I remembered nothing.”

When Jing spoke he kept watching Xiao Yao, afraid she would leave in anger but luckily she kept her promise and remained silently listening.

Jing said, “My powers may not be as high as Xiang Liu, Feng Long and those top warriors in the vast wilderness, but I’m still the descendant of the nine-tailed fox. I learned my powers from childhood so it’s not low. A love potion can’t work on people like us, all it does is increase an existing urge but it wouldn’t be able to render me unable to control my urges.”

Xiao Yao nodded, it was true. To the Gods, forget Jing, even giving a love potion to those sleazebags like Cui Liang, they won’t be rendered unable to control themselves. A bucket of water could break the spell, they simply didn’t want to control themselves.

Xiao Yao said to Jing, “Another matter, I want to see your closest servants.”

Jing said to Jing Ye, “Bring Hu Ya and Ling here.”

Both were startled and then Jing Ye softly replied, “Yes!”

Xiao Yao had seen Hu Ya before but it was her first time meeting Ling, she was a very ephemeral girl, her visage like a shadow and her face impossible to see clearly.

Jing Ye explained, “Ling is a very powerful fox demon and the head of the clan leader personal guards. She never sees anyone.”

-----

Chapter 34:

The second day, Jing continued to argue with the elders about the method of punishment for Yi Yang. She was kneeling on the ground and suddenly raised her head. “I agree to use my essential soul blood to feed the Tu Shan clan god in worship.”

The elders were stunned into silence and looked positively ecstatic. According to ancient legend, the nine-tailed fox was a godly creature like the phoenix, but it was also a vicious beast that can devour beings. The Tu Shan clan’s god was an ancient ancestor’s spiritual essence keeping watch over its descendants, and since Yi Yang was a goddess, her blood to feed to the clan god would be precious and greatly beneficial to the Tu Shan clan.

Jing objected, but Yi Yang stared at him and said, “Please agree, clan leader!”

Jing said, “You are not a Tu Shan clan member and once the clan god samples your blood, it will greedily drink its fill and not restrain itself. You will suffer unbearable pain…”

Yi Yang bowed her head loudly on the ground. “This is my deserved punishment. Please agree, clan leader!”

The Tu Shan clan kept the news on lock down so the rumor was that Fang Feng Yi Yang got a deadly contagious disease that ate away at her spiritual essence and dried up her skin until she resembled a human mummy.

Xiao Yao sighed at the Tu Shan clan purposely spreading that rumor which fit since Yi Yang was using her essential soul blood to feed the clan god and she would wither away and might even go crazy enduring the pain.

-----

Chapter 36:

Jing kneeled down and bowed his head to the floor. “Jing thanks Your majesty for your love and protection of Xiao Yao.” Jing was the Tu Shan clan leader and when he saw the Yellow Emperor or the Grand Emperor he only needed to bow at the waist yet he was giving a full on the floor bow right now to the Grand Emperor.

-----

Chapter 39:

The Wan Xiang play was popular throughout the vast wilderness and tonight’s story was about the opening of the earth to begin civilizationThe story included the smart and caring Hua Xu, the loyal and brave Sheng Nong, the dashing and elegant Gao Xing, the well-learned and talented Xi Ling, the sly money loving Tu Shan nine-tailed fox, the physically weak but devious Gui Fang, the water-based power that was Chi Sui, the forger of all metals Jin Tian……all these figures worked with the Great Emperor Pan Gu to slay demons and create the vast wilderness. Back then the vast wilderness was one family, there was no Sheng Nong royal family, no Gao Xing royal family, and especially no Xuan Yuan royal family.

------

Chapter 42:

A fog blanketed out from Jing until the entire field was shrouded in mist. Hou scoffed, “A fox is a fox, never daring for a direct combat, even generations of descendants can’t change this pathetic habit!”

Hou conjured up a water power based tiger who roamed in the mist roaring. It leaped in one direction and a white nine-tailed fox scampered away.

Hou laughed. “Jing, I know your battle strategy is to buy time so that your guards can arrive. Next month is your wedding and you desperately want to go back to be a groom, but let me tell you that's impossible!”

The tiger pounced towards the nine-tailed fox, and with Hou being adept at battling since young, many times the tiger nearly captured the fox who only managed to escape at the last minute thanks to the concealing fog.

Hou laughed. “It’s not only you who is the descendant of the fox.” The tiger changed color to white and disappeared into the fog.

Many little nine-tailed foxes darted around the fog quickly and the tiger tried to capture each but wasn’t as fast, huffing in frustration while shrinking in size.

Hou knew the foxes were an illusion, but if this continued all his power would be depleted with this useless chase. Hou suddenly closed his eyes and the white tiger closed its eyes. Not seeing, everything turned still, so even if a fox was beside the tiger it did nothing, only hiding in the fog with its senses alert.

Hou was relieved that he injured Jing’s hand and throat so long ago, so Jing could never sing or play the melodious tunes again. The world only knew that the Young Master of Qing Qiu’s musical talent was unparalleled. No one knew it was actually an enchanting skill that Jing developed since childhood. If he used the mystifying music now, Hou would need to close off his ears, and a tiger without sight or hearing would find it impossible to kill the fox.

Xiao Yao anxiously asked You, “If you smell Hou’s death scent, do you smell anyone else’s?”

Hu Ya said, “Clan Leader is the King of the fox tribe. You has no ability to determine if he’s dead or alive.” 

The Yellow Emperor wearily said, “As long as you know what you are doing. The Tu Shan clan businesses are throughout the entire vast wilderness. Something happened to its clan leader, that doesn’t just affect all the big families, clans, and tribes of the vast wilderness, if you don’t handle it properly, then it might affect the foundation of the kingdom.

-----

Chapter 50:

Sir Bi said to Jing, “Please take good care of Xiao Yao.”

Jing bowed low as if to an elder. “I will take good care of Xiao Yao.”

Lie Yang didn’t give a fig so accepted the bow but Sir Bi dodged it. Demon class barriers were strict and the nine-tailed fox was the king of the fox tribe. When Sir Bi was around Jing, he used his strong powers to tamp down the instinct to be subservient to Jing.

I want to share with you these awesome videos, that I found on Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvumd3ZKFif/?igsh=NmN1dnhyaTBsMW5z

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv_pWNxKgDI/?igsh=MW1oZnFraXBzdzVxYw==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwJ5lfbKeBP/?igsh=MXhuamRla296cmoyNA==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3KulxFvxFY/?igsh=ZjlvZjQwZDg5YTd5

I didn't use to be a fan of Lana Del Rey's songs, but now, after watching a lot of videos with her songs, I have fallen in love with them. Maybe they will always be connected with the XL & XY story ?

liddi:
Thank you very much! So tempted... so very tempted... especially with the dog mask!

I read comments on Taobao saying that the hair is still a little too short (and does the electrocuted look too!) though it can allow the application of hair extensions, which doesn't seem to be supplied along with the doll.

Well, you were saying you wanted an "electrocuted" FFB :-). Did the review mention anything about the quality of the clothing? I've found that some unofficial clothes are of very poor quality. 

liddi:
It's gorgeous! Any links to order yet? I'm sure someone(s) in my household would adore it too though my wallet might disagree.

Nope, 'cause I already check :-). I'm sure your daughter will appreciate you sacrificing your wallet for her ;-).

H19279:

I should have placed "iconic" instead. haha that is the title of that clip. Shame on them (the characters)

It has been fascinating and fun to observe the reaction to this scene. One side is swooning about true love and how romantic it is, and here I am cringing in embarrassment for XY (and wanting to smack sense into her) and itching to kick Jing in the balls.

H19279:
Honestly, CGI of LYF season 1 was not good.

That "blood on tap" scene is infamous :-). Took me straight out of the moment.

From the trailer, I'm not holding my breath about the CGI. XL's true form during the final battle looks better compared to when he severed the Lovers Bugs, but not much better. Will it hold up to closer scrutiny?

Kokuto:

NGL ... I'd rather see a Beloved Ru Shuo clip ... even with A Nian.  But I am biased. ;p

You don't want to see "true love" in action, Kokuto? You're missing out :-). Just prepare some eye bleach for afterwards :-)

liddi:
I still cringe when I think of the CGI of Xiang Liu giving his essential life blood during the 37-year healing. That is the issue when they choose to rob us of all 444 kisses, replacing it with a water tap equivalent instead. Gah.

There was no way they were going to give us the 444 kisses, liddi. Got to push that "official couple" pairing ;-)

liddi:
Chi Chen and A Heng's passionate moments remind me again how chaste LYF is in that respect, and so much of what we do have is implied rather than described.

If I remember correctly, LYF is probably the only TH's novel where the FL didn't get a love scene. Ballad of the Desert, Bu Bu, Once Promised and Songs in the Clouds all featured love scenes. Of course, I haven't read all of TH's novels and may be misremembering as well since it has been a very long time since I read those novels. 

liddi:

Where are sea monsters when you need them?

Kokuto:

LOL!  Indeed!

Probably took one look at Jing and thought, "We don't want that!" ;-)

liddi:
in the novel, Xiao Yao's consciousness was not floating around in the seashell throughout the 37 years, but inside her physical body, merely gradually regaining cognition over the years.

I didn't like how they handled the 37-year scenes. YZ's acting in those sequences was very OTT and OFC to me. And a lot of the implied intimacy in the novel was gone

Svetlanchik89:

Do you think we can expect an alternative ending if we are shown their obvious love for each other?

It's highly unlikely. I think the waiting scene with both of them in red will be the most explicit indicator that we'll get.

Svetlanchik89:

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:5053217956888582

This is the equivalent scene from the leaked script, where the old Xuan Yuan king tells Cang Xuan to take a queen.

Leaked script Ep3 (originally S02E11 scene 18) CX's choice of queen

XYK: How is the progress of the move of the capital?
CX: Everything is going smoothly. the Hu He and Gu Liang clans have moved to the Central Plains, one after another.
XYK: How are the old clans getting along with the clans of the Central Plains?
CX: It's alright for now.

Sensing what his grandfather wanted to say, Cang Xuan's smile stiffened.

XYK: A nation cannot be left without a monarch for a day; a harem cannot be left without a mistress for a day. Cang Xuan, it is time to appoint a queen.

Cang Xuan's smile gradually died, and he involuntarily looked at Xiao Yao.

XY: Gege, whom do you want to crown as queen?
CX: You.... who do you think?

Cang Xuan stared at Xiao Yao. He could not help but blurt out the word "you", but at the very last moment, he had no choice but to restrain his own impulse. The old Xuan Yuan king's expression changed drastically, yet Xiao Yao was totally oblivious.

XY (find it amusing): Why did you ask my opinion? The queen you crown, is naturally your choice. Gege, whom do you want to be your queen?

Cang Xuan gazed at Xiao Yao and remained silent. Xiao Yao had a confused expression on her face.

XY: Gege?
XYK: Naturally it can only be Shen'nong Xin Yue.

Cang Xuan looked at the old Xuan Yuan king with a plea in his eyes.
There was pity in the old Xuan Yuan king's eyes, but his words held no hesitation.

XYK: You have decided to change a structure that had lasted for tens of thousands of years, allowing the old clans of the North and the Western borders to integrate with the clans of the Central Plains. However, how could tens of thousands of conflict be changed just like that? You are of the Xuan Yuan clan, representing all the old clans. Xin Yue is of the Shen Nong clan, representing all the clans of the Central Plains. As long as you crown her as queen, the other clans will naturally emulate in intermarriage. As time goes by, mixed bloodlines is the truest integration.
XY (furrowed brow): I disagree!

Cang Xuan turned to look at Xiao Yao with joy.

XY: I am not opposing Xin Yue becoming queen, but what about A Nian? Where do both of you leave her?

The joy in Cang Xuan's eyes faded away and he bowed his head, staring blankly.

XYK: If A Nian were crowned queen now, the Shen Nong clans would definitely be upset, as will the Chishui clan. The entire Central Plains will feel that Cang Xuan cast them aside once he had achieved his purpose. Xiao Yao, do you want to send the whole world into chaos just for the position of a queen?

Xiao Yao could not answer.

XYK (earnest, solemn): The old clans and the Central Plains clans are like two ferocious beasts that originally lived on two different mountains, having nothing to do with each other. But now, they have been forced by Cang Xuan into a single cage, and are even more dangerous than before. At the slightest movement, they would very likely pounce and attack the other. If Cang Xuan wants the old clans and Central Plains clans to integrate, he must lead by example. (looking at Cang Xuan) Since things have come to this, you have no way back.

Cang Xuan remained silent, despair in his eyes.
Xiao Yao pulled Cang Xuan's sleeve.

XY: Gege, between Xin Yue and A Nian, who do you want as your queen?

Cang Xuan looked at Xiao Yao and wanted to speak, but in the end dared not say anything. He feared that the moment he said it, even what he had now would be lost.

CX (deflated, despair): Whichever one both of you want. I don't care. After all, this is the way my whole life will be!

Cang Xuan got up and left without looking back. Xiao Yao got to her feet, wanting to go after him.

XY: What do you mean you don't care? Gege--

The old Xuan Yuan king sighed and stopped Xiao Yao.

XYK: Xiao Yao, just let him be!

Svetlanchik89:

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:5053217956888582

Oh no, he did not, Ni her!?!?

Thank you liddi, for that scene.  It looks about right, from the actions.

HeadInTheClouds:
There was no way they were going to give us the 444 kisses, liddi. Got to push that "official couple" pairing ;-)

Okay - 444 kisses is rather excessive - I would be satisfied with 39 kisses? One to represent each episode in S1?

You know, I am currently up to the 37 years of healing under the sea in the audiobook, and it just drives home again just how much intimacy we lost - not just the 444 kisses and the ensuing 444 neck biting to suck out the poison in his blood, but also embracing her so tightly where she could feel him all over; sleeping beside her every night; the gentle caress of her face; holding her in his arms as he brought her on excursions on the surface of the ocean or under the sea... the list goes on. 

HeadInTheClouds:
If I remember correctly, LYF is probably the only TH's novel where the FL didn't get a love scene. Ballad of the Desert, Bu Bu, Once Promised and Songs in the Clouds all featured love scenes. Of course, I haven't read all of TH's novels and may be misremembering as well since it has been a very long time since I read those novels. 

YES. That was exactly my impression too. No love scene between the apparent official lovers in LYF. I cannot speak for her modern novels, but certainly, that was what I gathered from her historical ones. I wonder why that is. By the same token, do you have any recollection whether in her other novels, the female lead had intimate, tender interactions with a man she did not love? 

Meanwhile, we have the 444 kisses... the intimacy and sleeping together for 37 years, which Xiao Yao herself even wondered whether Xiang Liu viewed the seashell as their love nest; the tender interactions with him throughout the novel in her various stages in life including both engagements; and the outburst of grief when he died.

HeadInTheClouds:
I didn't like how they handled the 37-year scenes. YZ's acting in those sequences was very OTT and OFC to me. And a lot of the implied intimacy in the novel was gone

I felt they had to show her sense of decorum at what she thought was him taking advantage of her unconscious state to kiss her, until she realised he was actually trying to heal her. But yes, a lot of the intimacy from the novel was lost in translation.

HeadInTheClouds:
Well, you were saying you wanted an "electrocuted" FFB :-). Did the review mention anything about the quality of the clothing? I've found that some unofficial clothes are of very poor quality. 

Feedback mentioned that the quality of the clothing is not very good, and there is hair loss when they combed it. Looks like it is not quite the same quality as the official grumpy pants doll, in which case I will need to reconsider. The price for the whole set is roughly the same price as the official doll itself, so I'm a little leery now.

HeadInTheClouds:
Nope, 'cause I already check :-). I'm sure your daughter will appreciate you sacrificing your wallet for her ;-).

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! Please share the link if you do see the figurines or mini-dolls available for order. I will have a long talk with my wallet after that....

HeadInTheClouds:

I'm willing to compromise.  How about 222 kisses?

HeadInTheClouds:

LYF's love scene was the beach after battling the whirlpool / vortex.

HeadInTheClouds:

Agreed. But surely they couldn't do the same with the beach scene?  Heck, all the neck biting scenes were intimate.

Meow:

I want to share with you these awesome videos, that I found on Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvumd3ZKFif/?igsh=NmN1dnhyaTBsMW5z

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv_pWNxKgDI/?igsh=MW1oZnFraXBzdzVxYw==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwJ5lfbKeBP/?igsh=MXhuamRla296cmoyNA==

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3KulxFvxFY/?igsh=ZjlvZjQwZDg5YTd5

I didn't use to be a fan of Lana Del Rey's songs, but now, after watching a lot of videos with her songs, I have fallen in love with them. Maybe they will always be connected with the XL & XY story ?

Music has a way of doing that, sticking to a scene or a character.  Definitely the case for me.

I love FMV!  Thank you for sharing!

AH :
“You killed it?”

“No, the King of the fox tribe.”

“Nine-tailed fox?”

Xiao Liu shut his eyes. “The Nine-tailed fox wanted to kill me but the snake believed only it could eat me so it blocked the path of that vicious fox…so it ended up dead!”

Xiang Liu softly chuckled. “Interesting. And the fox?”

This must be a mistake on XY's part.  For her 8 tailed fox to be the King of the Foxes, he'd have to be a Tushan, right?

Again, I don't get the impression that the Tushan 9 tailed fox ancestor was a demon.  He may have been the first, primal, a progenitor or something else, like a phoenix, which I don't think are demons either.

In the same way, I think Xiang Liu is also the first of his kind, unique, singular, and primal.  I say this in part, because originally, he was the symbol for natural disaster of flooding.  Or maybe he was, 'just a demon.'

The big difference with the Tushan foxes is time and being human / deity.  They integrated and built all that up.

Thanks for all the info and the table, AH!