We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 HeadInTheClouds:

H19279:
What is your interpretation about this matter: "she died" & he has to use his life in exchange to continue her life
Not sure what you mean here.

I mean how do you interpret the very first lines of XY's monologue in chapter 22 

"小夭觉得自己前看见的最后一幅画面是铺天盖地的梅花飞向自己。 

不觉得恐怖,反而觉得真美丽啊!

Xiaoyao felt/sensed that the last scene she saw before she died was the overwhelming plum blossoms flying towards her. 

She did not feel terrifying, on the contrary, felt what a beautiful it was!"

and her inner thought of how XL saved her. Since XY did not want to disclose all the detail of her connection to XL with CX, her explanation to CX about how XL saved her might be twisted. I took her inner thought during the time under the sea as more accurate information. @Liddi, thank you for your english translation 

小夭知道蛊术中有一种方法,能用自己的命帮另一人续命,如果相柳真的是用自己的命给她续命,她希望他真的有九条命,让给她一条也不算太吃亏 (Chapter 22) 

Xiao Yao was aware of a method in poisonous magic to use one’s own life to extend the life of another person. If Xiang Liu really used his own life to extend hers, she hoped he really had nine lives so that he would not have lost too much by giving her one.

The question is why she considered "she died" in the begining of recalling. Moreover, which moment she referred to the stage of death? Did she monologue started when she was in total darkness (in hibernation mode) with no connection to outside (via the bug)?

The poisonous magic that XL mentioned in the above lines belongs to Gu art and only feasible due to the presence of the poisonous bugs. If XY's opinion about how XL saved her correctly, another question is how did XL know the spell/method to deploy it? 

Maybe XY's guess about how XL saved her was incorrect: XL did not use one of his life to extend hers. Her life was kept because of his life force [sheng qi] (life vitality) (thank to the lovers's bug). 

ZYHLJ:
Reading the text you excerpted, I can really empathize with her happiness. Imagine that your girlhood idol starred in a romance novel you wrote and called you himself! In the next life, I just want to be reincarnated as Tonghua and write five more lives of Xiang Liu. I have no other wishes besides this =_=

Yes. It actually shows us that she too, is a fangirl at heart.

5 more lives of Xiang Liu only? No no. All 9 please. Thank you. 

ZYHLJ:
I watched two episodes of the Tencent version of The Three-Body Problem. It was indeed a conscientious work. However, because I have already read the original work and known all plots, the Tencent version's plot progress was a bit slow for me, so I did not continue watching it. But for those who have not read the original work, this speed may be just right:-)

I watched the first 3 episodes over the weekend too, and read up to Ch11 of the novel. Really enjoying both the novel and the drama thus far (the theory of the Marksman and the Farmer is chilling) but progress is slow because I was extremely tired, and I don't want to rush through the drama or the novel. Is the cast exactly how you imagined them from the book? Yu Hewei is physically nothing like Shi Qiang from the novel but he delivers the essence of the character. Zhang Luyi on the other hand, is exactly how I imagine Wang Miao to be like. As for Ye Wenjie, I have not seen enough of Wang Ziwen to have an opinion, but I can't wait to continue. 

ZYHLJ:
Okay I accept your recommendation :-). I will give 步步惊心 a try after I finish writing this fanfic

Do share your thoughts when you do read it. Hopefully you'll love it too.

ZYHLJ:
By the way, the second part has been updated. Welcome to read:-)

Have read and rambled on the FanFiction thread about it. Thank you very much!

Kokuto:

Okay, so there it is, for folks who insist that XY knew from 'the day she met him' that XL was doomed and going to die soon with his army.  Yet here, XY wants to get rid of the bug, because she doesn't want to die when CX likely gets assassinated.  So, why in the world would she want it transferred to a guy who was 'doomed' to die with his army?

On the other hand, saying that XL wouldn't have taken on the bugs without knowing how to break the bond because that would mean he is condemning XY to die when he dies with the Resistance Army is assuming that XL was going to die before WXL/XY. Considering his power and ability versus WXL/XY lack of power and ability, the one who was likely to cark-it it first was WXL. And she did. Without XL, XY would be dead as a doornail, swimming with the fishes, off with the fairies :-)

Once again, I'm a bit late with my reply :-)

liddi:
"I feel that [their] feelings are always mutual. Xiao Yao did not have Luo Xun's ability to throw herself passionately in[to a relationship] without consideration for life and death."

This just suggests that the biggest obstacle for the YaoLiu relationship has always been XY's struggle to come to terms with the fact that XL was going to die with the Resistance Army. 

liddi:
Insurmountable odds between them that are greater than YaoLiu? Is it due to their genetic make-up?

Their genetic makeup is definitely a part of it. Unlike with YaoLiu where the obstacle was more from personal reason on XY's side (this is of course, my interpretation) rather than due to ideals or being on separate "sides", LX and YNZ are separated by those factors as well as a complicate history between them. There is more to the story and I don't want to say too much to spoil the story further for you. 

I do think the story is worth a read. I think TH got a bit more philosophical with this story. I really liked YNZ and the things that he stands for. There is also another male character that I have a huge soft spot for. This one also featured a sprawling cast of characters with their struggles and stories in a similar vein with BBJX and Song in the Clouds.

liddi:
Do you think with the English series and movies in the works, we might actually get an official English translation of the novel, for once?

They'll likely release an English translation as part of the merchandise for the series/movies. Nothing speaks like money :-). I'm just lucky that I can access the Vietnamese translation of the work, although, with the recent realization of the less-than-stellar quality of the Vietnamese official translation of LYF, I'm a bit hesitant. Luckily, there are fans out there who are dedicated so I can check out the fans' translation as well to compare the differences. 

liddi:
All in all, BBJX's women were strong, courageous, unafraid in their love, which is why it truly drew me in, and set me down the Tong Hua rabbit hole.

I also like this aspect of BBJX as well. These ladies all loved men who were caught in this battle for the throne and they all suffered because of their men. Whether you liked them or not or agree with their choices or not, they faced things courageously and made their decision clearly. 

liddi:
And it's this comparison (as well as other Tong Hua historical heroines - Jin Yu, Yun Ge, A Heng) that is even more pronounced when we look at Xiao Yao and her timidity when it comes to matters of the heart.

Yup. This is definitely the most frustrating aspect of XY for me. As the protagonist of a work that is billed as a "Big Female Boss" novel, I want to see growth and breakthrough. Whatever decision she makes, at least show emotional and mental courage - acknowledge and deal instead of hide.

Kokuto:
10 hours ago
 AH :
With Xuan’s real identity, that bug might not hurt him, 
but it was more likely one day it’ll kill Xiao Liu since so many people wanted to kill Xuan. Xiao Liu also didn’t want people to use him anymore against Xuan so was genuinely racking his brains for how to remove it.
Okay, so there it is, for folks who insist that XY knew from 'the day she met him' that XL was doomed and going to die soon with his army.  Yet here, XY wants to get rid of the bug, because she doesn't want to die when CX likely gets assassinated.  So, why in the world would she want it transferred to a guy who was 'doomed' to die with his army?

I don't read this as saying that WXL wanted to get the bug out of CX because if CX was assassinated then she would die with him, and she didn't want to die with him, so it would be better to transfer the bug to a safer host. She (I think correctly, tbh, since the bug was not "successfully" planted in CX and did not become a Lovers Bug in him) didn't think the bugs tied her life and CX's life together. So that logic wouldn't make sense.

I think this is saying that she was afraid of getting killed essentially as collateral damage if many people tried to use her to kill CX the way XL and FFYY had already tried to use her (when XL stunned and then nearly drowned her). 

If many people tried to hurt her so that her pain would incapacitate CX and make it easier to kill him, there would be a real chance that eventually she would end up getting full-on killed instead of just temporarily injured.

And, as she says, on top of being afraid of being killed that way, she also just didn't want to be used against CX like that.

AH :
5 minutes ago
 Kokuto:
10 hours ago
 AH :
With Xuan’s real identity, that bug might not hurt him, but it was more likely one day it’ll kill Xiao Liu since so many people wanted to kill Xuan. Xiao Liu also didn’t want people to use him anymore against Xuan so was genuinely racking his brains for how to remove it.
I don't read this as saying that WXL wanted to get the bug out of CX because if CX was assassinated then she would die with him, and she didn't want to die with him, so it would be better to transfer the bug to a safer host. She (I think correctly, tbh, since the bug was not "successfully" planted in CX and did not become a Lovers Bug in him) didn't think the bugs tied her life and CX's life together. So that logic wouldn't make sense.

I think this is saying that she was afraid of getting killed essentially as collateral damage if many people tried to use her to kill CX the way XL and FFYY had already tried to use her (when XL stunned and then nearly drowned her). 

Beside the reason you (@AH) mentioned as she didn't want to be used to harm CX (like the way XY and FFYY collaborated to kill CX), she was also afraid that she would got hurt/seriously injured thus leading to potential death (since she had very low power level) if someone killed CX. When CX was killed, this means he would have fatal wound --> WXL might suffer the same level of injury. 

P/S: the word "also" in the 2nd sentence implies 2 reasons ("Xiao Liu also didn’t want people to use him anymore against Xuan so was genuinely racking his brains for how to remove it".). In addition, WXL did not know that the bug was planted unsuccessfully

H19279:
Beside the reason you (@AH) mentioned as she didn't want to be used to harm CX (like the way XY and FFYY collaborated to kill CX), she was also afraid that she would got hurt/seriously injured thus leading to potential death (since she had very low power level) if someone killed CX. When CX was killed, this means he would have fatal wound --> WXL might suffer the same level of injury. 

I don't read it this way. WXL thought that the bugs only transferred pain. She did not think that CX's death would result in her death (or vice versa), which was clear from her comments to XL, and there doesn't seem to be any evidence that she thought that a serious injury (or even a fatal one) to CX would potentially kill her. Why would she, given her understanding of the bugs? Plus, CX had already been wounded by FFYY's arrow and she wasn't affected at all. 

IMO, WXL just happened to be correct that her bugs only transferred pain at that point in time (when her bug was in CX). More by luck than anything else. She thought her bugs were common cultivated poisonous bugs that transferred pain. In reality they were rare bugs with the potential to be Lovers Bugs or Heartbreak Bugs, but because she failed to plant the bug in CX successfully (because he did not willingly accept it, per XL's explanation in chapter 48) the bugs did not become Lovers Bugs at that point and the connection between WXL and CX behaved like the connection between two people who were connected by common cultivated poisonous bugs - only transferring her pain and sensations to CX without tying their lives and hearts together.

IMO, the two related reasons WXL cited in that quoted text for wanting to get the bug out of CX were: (1) she didn't want to be repeatedly injured and eventually killed (specifically by people who hurt her in an attempt to incapacitate CX so that he could be assassinated); and (2) she did not want to be used against CX (as a tool to facilitate assassination attempts against him).

AH :

If many people tried to hurt her so that her pain would incapacitate CX and make it easier to kill him, there would be a real chance that eventually she would end up getting full-on killed instead of just temporarily injured.

And, as she says, on top of being afraid of being killed that way, she also just didn't want to be used against CX like that.

H19279:
P/S: the word "also" in the 2nd sentence implies 2 reasons ("Xiao Liu also didn’t want people to use him anymore against Xuan so was genuinely racking his brains for how to remove it".). In addition, WXL did not know that the bug was planted unsuccessfully

Yes. IMO, the two related reasons I mentioned above and in my previous comment. 

XY didn't need to know that the bug was not successfully planted in CX for her to think that the bugs only transferred her pain to CX. That was her original understanding of the bugs. She did not know that they were Lovers Bugs and did not know that they had the potential to tie two people's hearts and lives together. 

H19279:
The question is why she considered "she died" in the begining of recalling. Moreover, which moment she referred to the stage of death? Did she monologue started when she was in total darkness (in hibernation mode) with no connection to outside (via the bug)?

It's really difficult to say with the way that it was written - split up into two different chapters like that. It's like she was recalling what had happened, but it could also be her thoughts as things happened.  I don't think she ever lost her awareness throughout the entire process, even when she entered hibernation and lost her ̀ senses and the only remaining sense was through the Lover Bugs which was how she could sense XL's devastating power. Her heart never fully stopped beating so she wasn't technically dead, but she was in a deep coma so perhaps she considered herself to have died. Without XL doing what he did, she would not have been able to wake up and would have died eventually.

H19279:
Since XY did not want to disclose all the detail of her connection to XL with CX, her explanation to CX about how XL saved her might be twisted. I took her inner thought during the time under the sea as more accurate information.

The thing with this character is that she's a lying liar who lies. You can only partially trust what she says because she hides, evades, omits and is deliberately vague. You have to look at her actions/reactions and subsequent mentions of earlier moments. It's exhausting with her. Doesn't she even lie in her inner thoughts as well?

In her conversation with CH, what XY said was that XL used their Lover Bugs connection to sustain/keep her alive by maybe sharing his Sheng qi with her. Then he used the voodoo spell to exchange one of his life to keep hers. I.e she would have died, but one of his life died in her stead. The fact that she knew it was a "a life for a life" exchange rather than just him helping to sustain her life showed her clear understanding of what took place and the cost to XL.

Maybe XL learned this method the same way that he learned about the Lovers Bugs. I think it's funny how XL figured out that they are Lovers Bugs only from a few details - the same details that XY knows - which seem to suggest that these things are unique to the Lovers Bugs. And yet, XY thinks that they are garden variety poisonous bugs? If she doesn't even know what kind of poisonous bugs they are, then how does she know what their properties are, unless these properties are common to all poisonous bugs? But that then makes XL's accurately pinpoint them as Lovers Bugs to not make sense. And I still find it hard to believe that the beggar woman gave WXL these bugs without giving him any information about them. Is this a plot hole? What do you make of all this?

HeadInTheClouds:
This just suggests that the biggest obstacle for the YaoLiu relationship has always been XY's struggle to come to terms with the fact that XL was going to die with the Resistance Army. 

I clearly just posted a response to you, but somehow the entire post is missing. Argh.

Xiao Yao's fear of abandonment would not let her consciously accept the thought of loving a man who would most certainly leave her, even if the circumstances were beyond their control, a fate she herself deemed to be worse than death. However, she would come to realise that her fear of allowing such a man into her dreams meant that she was too late anyway, even if she tried to convince herself otherwise.

HeadInTheClouds:
I do think the story is worth a read. I think TH got a bit more philosophical with this story. I really liked YNZ and the things that he stands for. There is also another male character that I have a huge soft spot for. This one also featured a sprawling cast of characters with their struggles and stories in a similar vein with BBJX and Song in the Clouds.

I will definitely give it a try one day. However, I am less competent when it comes to scientific or futuristic terms, so I truly hope an official English translation would be available as a companion piece by the time the series and movie is released.

HeadInTheClouds:
I also like this aspect of BBJX as well. These ladies all loved men who were caught in this battle for the throne and they all suffered because of their men. Whether you liked them or not or agree with their choices or not, they faced things courageously and made their decision clearly. 

Yes. These were strong women who inspired respect exactly because of how fearless they were in their love, even when their men were questionable to me. I love too their decisiveness, knowing when to walk away, which Ruoxi did twice, even if the second time would claim her life.

HeadInTheClouds:
This is definitely the most frustrating aspect of XY for me. As the protagonist of a work that is billed as a "Big Female Boss" novel, I want to see growth and breakthrough. Whatever decision she makes, at least show emotional and mental courage - acknowledge and deal instead of hide.

The premise around which Xiao Yao's character was crafted meant that she was caged (metaphorically or literally) for the majority of her life. It was only those years as Wen Xiao Liu that she enjoyed freedom, and the Qingshui arc is my favourite of hers - when she was fearless, sassy, snarky, cunning - taking on those who are clearly far more powerful than her and still managing to come out feeling that she gained an upper hand.  She was well aware that the moment she resumed her identity as a princess meant being caged once more, one that would be far more difficult to leave. It is telling that with everything she went through since then, she could never leave and her only avenue of escape was to kill herself - no matter how Xiang Liu had been trying to tell her to continue on living - since the days in Qingshui town to the many times he saved her, even extracting a promise from her to continue to live even when Jing was believed dead. It took his death for her to find the will to break free from the chains that bound her, and finally leave for the life she always wanted but could never find the strength to grasp. What an exacting price she had to pay to finally see that growth. 

Does anyone has the picture of XL as a fishmonger?

HeadInTheClouds:

Does anyone has the picture of XL as a fishmonger?

Kokuto shared it originally on the p21 of the LMLMV thread and this is arguably one of my daughter's favourite picture of the Demon King of the Seas!

liddi:

Kokuto shared it originally on the p21 of the LMLMV thread and this is arguably one of my daughter's favourite picture of the Demon King of the Seas!

he should have sold some more expensive fish than these such as king fish, king crab or monk fish. Hahaha

H19279:

he should have sold some more expensive fish than these such as king fish, king crab or monk fish. Hahaha

Very true! Imagine he would have had less problems funding the Shen Nong remnant army had he chosen the correct wares to sell!

liddi:

Thanks liddi :-)

I think I came across another version of this XL as a fishmonger picture. I'll see if I can find and post it. 

H19279:

His heart is pure as crystal; fame and fortune don't tempt him. Our dude is not a capitalist. He'll probably be one of those people who live close to nature and have a minimalist lifestyle.

liddi:

hahahahah... It never gets old.  Fishmonger XL!

H19279:

Poor baby.  He probably doesn't know what's popular or expensive.