AH :
I had a conversation with my mother and grandmother once where we all realized we had the same extreme fear of living to an age where our bodies and, even scarier, our minds were failing us in a way that completely destroyed our quality of life, but we were trapped and not able to do anything about it. If we could, we all agreed that we'd prefer to be able to wave a wand and have a clean ending before reaching that point. Maybe it's morbid, but we've all been lucky enough to live very well, and everyone dies eventually... to be able to die well too, on our own terms, is something all three of us want for ourselves.

Fully agree with all of this. We are going through something with my grandpa and, needless to say, it's not going to be pretty :(

AH :
I'm glad for canon!XL that he was able to choose the ending he wanted and to end things on his own terms.

This I still cannot fully agree with. He wasn't old, sick, mortally injured, disabled, or losing his mind. He would still be able to live many many years. Probably MANY more years than Jing, who will most likely die way sooner than Xiao Yao and will end up leaving her alone anyway. So, no, in his case, Xiang Liu dying on his own terms makes little sense other than blind, stupid loyalty to a lost cause. That I cannot get behind. It's just a waste of a precious life (or eight, or seven. I forgot how many lives he wasted on those two wet noodles).

AH :
I'm watching Shogun right now

Is it good? I read the book many years ago and it's such a masterpiece.

H19279:

I can understand her reaction and relate to me. if I watch Season 2 when it is being broadcast, I will also only watch until XL killed FFB and push XY away. 

So you are planning to skip his death scene too? I will definitely watch the entire season, but the state of my hair and screen at the end of it remains to be seen. I really would prefer that they all survive intact and unscathed.

H19279:
After finishing reading LYF, I tried to watch A lifetime love (before reading Once Promised). I watched about 3 episodes and I did not like it at all. The acting, visual effect was poor.

AH :
I watched the first two episodes and thought it was poorly done. I skipped ahead to the episode that matched up with one of the chapters Koala translated (Ah Heng and Chi You's last night together) and was disappointed by that too. So I ended up not watching the rest. 

Argh. So no redeeming qualities whatsoever? I tried to watch it about 3 times over the past year since LYF, but never managed to make much leeway. And I really want to watch something that belongs in the same universe and gives context to LYF. I guess I'll have to find the time and energy to read Once Promised instead.

nathsketch:
Yeah, yeah. Such glory. How about living and honoring your fallen brothers in a different way? They think it's so honorable but somehow forget about the people they leave behind.

It is an interesting concept because Tong Hua herself said this in a letter to her readers when LYF was first published back in 2013:

What Lost You Forever conveys is a kind of love that "lives [on]". I always feel that in this world, while love is soul-stirring, it is not everything in life.

Familial relationships, friendships, ideals, responsibilities... people have all kinds of ties in this world, and there are a lot of blessings and happiness that do not come from romantic love.

Eternal yearning for each other happens because there is profound love, because it cannot be obtained, because it cannot be forgotten. However, I am willing to bear with all these emotions and live well.
Life is a series of encounters and partings; it is a series of forgetting (leaving behind) and beginnings.
You were once here, you have left.

Even though I find it difficult to stop missing you, I will still smile when I see the beautiful rainbow.

-- 桐华tonghua   2013-02-26   09:35:53 

and I wished she allowed Xiang Liu to live, honouring his fallen brothers-in-arms, although he said time and again that the memories of all the comrades he had to personally cremate were too vivid in his mind, and he remembered every single one of them.  I do wish that Tong Hua had chosen to let him take the path of the love that lives on, which she gave Xiao Yao. Unfortunately, the only avenue left are fanfics that give us closure and salve the gaping wound.

AH :
That's too bad. Chapter 35 and Chapter 43 are two of my favourites. Chapter 48 and XL's epilogue are special too. 

It is mine too, as is Chapter 37 when they both listened to the song of the merpeople that last night at Bai Li. And of course, we will be robbed of every single one except Ch48 and the epilogue, unless a miracle happens.

As for my girl, it had always been her choice - be it to watch, or read, and I respect her decisions. She may choose to revisit it one day or not - it does not matter. She knows best what she can and cannot handle, and I am glad she put a stop when she felt it was too much. Even if she doesn't revisit this universe, she will always have the grumpy Xiang Liu doll to cheer her up (and me too, especially his wayward hair, which seems to take on his characteristics too, come to think of it!)

Chapter 43, titled "日日思君不见君 - Thinking of My Beloved Daily to No Avail," unfolds shortly after Jing's disappearance, on the night XY was supposed to marry him, but instead, married the moon. While it may seem like XY is looking for and missing Jing on the surface, it's clear that deep down, the person she's actually searching for and yearning for is XL.

XY received a message from Jing instructing her to go to the East Sea without informing anyone. Despite recognizing it as a trap, she willingly walked into it, unfazed by the threat of death and displaying indifference towards knowing the identities of those intending to harm her. 

Xiao Yao stared at the sky and didn't feel any rage at being lied to, or fear at imminent death. Only the sadness of having her hopes dashed.

What exactly was she hoping for? Given XY's skepticism regarding the authenticity of Jing's message, her motive likely wasn't to save him. Her subsequent efforts to escape the trap indicate that she also wasn't too serious about dying in order to be with Jing.

After XY nearly got crushed by a vortex, XL arrived just in time to save her. It was strongly implied that this had been her hope all along, considering she knew the East Sea was like XL’s home. After being rescued, XY desperately clung to XL, pleading for him not to go. Both physically and emotionally drained, they lost control of their inhibitions, and XY allowed XL to intimately drink from her neck.

XL agrees to help XY find the seagull demon who attempted to assassinate her, on the condition that XY agrees to stay alive even if Jing is truly deceased. XY implicitly understands that when XL mentions Jing, he is actually speaking about himself. Thus, XL is asking XY to remain alive in the event of his own death. After XY agrees to XL's condition, they track down the seagull demon and her accomplice, Left Ear. Furball eliminates the seagull demon while XY reconnects with Left Ear.

XL and XY discuss potential suspects behind the assassination attempt and narrow it down to Feng Long or Xing Yue. Although XL and Left Lear anticipate further attempts on XY's life, she is reluctant to take action against FL and Xing Yue out of concern for causing trouble for ZX.

At this point, the following conversation takes place. During this conversation, XL personifies the traits of being 嘴硬心软 (Zuǐyìng xīnruǎn), hard-spoken but soft-hearted. He employs harsh words to push XY away, preparing her for a life without him. My aim is to provide my interpretation  of the true intentions underlying XL and XY's dialogue.

Xiang Liu stared at the birds and slowly said “The Wen Xiao Liu I knew a long time ago had many deficiencies, but the one deficiency not there was to roll over and accept a beating like an idiot. Has Tu Shan Jing taken such good care of you all these years that you’ve forgotten how to stay alive now that he’s dead?”

I won’t be able to protect you for much longer. Find your will to live and fight to stay alive!

Xiao Yao couldn’t handle anyone talking about Jing being dead so she glared at Xiang Liu.

Jing serves as a proxy for XL, thus "Jing being dead" represents XL's demise and his departure from XY's life. XY is unwilling to confront the idea of XL abandoning her.

Xiang Liu sneered right back and said in a sarcastic way “Did I say anything wrong? You may not be in the wilderness or the mountains but you’re in a place even more dangerous, Sheng Nong Mountain. The most dangerous beast at most eats you. But in Sheng Nong Mountain, your death affects so much more, do you know how many people will die if you died? Chi Sui Feng Long smashed the tradition of the Four Great Clans and now the Tu Shan clan leader was suddenly killed, leaving behind a child successor. If you died, then the Tu Shan Clan may be picked apart and taken over by the three other clans. In the face of power and wealth, people are even brave enough to try to kill an Emperor, what’s stopping them from trying to kill you? I really regret getting my life connected with a stupid woman as you! I beg of you, before you die from idiocy can you find a way to break our bug link first!”

You are in a dangerous situation, targeted by individuals for selfish reasons. But remember, your death will have enormous consequences for those who care for or rely on you. Meanwhile, my situation is worsening, and my days are numbered. We must to find a way to break the bug link so you won’t die when I inevitably do.

Xiao Yao walked to the edge of the ship and looked out at the wide expanse of the ocean, the wind whipping her red wedding dress around her like a dance, and the red sunset behind her illuminated her vivid color so much that the red dress looked like blood was dripping from it.

XY is telling XL that she stands by the blood oath they took when they accepted the Lover’s bugs. She doesn’t want to break their connection.

The sun gradually set and the moon rose from the ocean surface. Xiao Yao pointed and said to Xiang Liu “Look!”

Xiang Liu stared coldly at her and didn’t move but Left Ear turned to look at the moon and said “Very round moon!”

The moon symbolizes XY and XL’s mutual feelings for each other. During their time together in Qing Shui Town and throughout their 37 years under the sea, the moon served as a focal point for numerous memorable moments in their relationship. When XY points out the moon, she is expressing her desire to hold onto their shared affection. However, XL attempts to distance himself by ignoring XY's request to look at the moon. He does so because he wants her to let go of her feelings for him in order to protect her from getting hurt in the future.

Xiao Yao burst out laughing while staring at the moon “Jing picked the full moon night to get married. I wanted to ask him why but was too embarrassed to, and figured I could ask him after the wedding since we had plenty of time. The last time I saw him was 32 days ago, he came to Xiao Yue Peak to see me and was supposed to leave before dinner but stayed until long after dinner, until the moon rose high over the mountain. We walked in the moonlight along the mountain paths, the moon was very beautiful that night. I pulled him to dance as I sang but he didn’t know how so I laughed at him for being so silly. Later he left on his winged ride and pointed to the moon and said “At the next full moon, no matter if the moon is bright or dark, if people gather or part, I will be with you forever, never apart.”

XY has always expressed her feelings for XL by using Jing as a substitute for XL. XY indirectly hints at her desire to be with XL by recounting a potentially fabricated story of a romantic moment she shared with Jing. The declaration of love by Jing at the end of the story echoes the lyrics of the song XL heard XY sing when they first met, long before she sang the same song for Jing.

Xiao Yao suddenly started singing towards the ocean.

If beloved were wind above the water

I would be the lily in the wind

To see and to miss

To see and to miss

If beloved were the cloud in the sky

I would be the moon in the cloud

To love and to cherish

To love and to cherish

If beloved were the tree in the forest

I would be the vines on the tree

Together and connected

Together and connected

Why does the world have sadness

Why do lives have gathering and parting

Only wish with beloved

Together forever, never apart

This is the song XY was singing when she and XL first met. The ocean symbolizes XL, so she is singing the song for him. The lyrics convey what she wishes to express to XL but lacks the courage to say directly.

The silver moonlight lent an air of desolation around as the waves crested glittering in soft folds. Xiao Yao pointed at the moon with a smile “If I don’t see his body then in my memory he will always be on the back of his crane smiling at me while pointing to the moon to say “At the next full moon, no matter if the moon is bright or dark, if people gather or part, I will be with you forever, never apart.” I likely am very stupid and very weak, I can’t believe that he’s dead and feel that he may come back at the next full moon.”

I know it’s foolish of me to cling to any hope of us being together, but what else do I have to live for?

Xiao Yao whirled around and stared with bright eyes at Xiang Liu and said in a strong voice “Xiang Liu, I don’t have a way to break our bug link right now. Sheng Ning Mountain is rife with danger but Qing Shui Town isn’t any better. It’s unclear who will drag the other down. Rather than worry that I’ll be a hassle to you, why don’t you worry about yourself first!”

I’m unable to control my feelings for you. I am extremely concerned for your safety. Please take care of yourself.

Xiang Liu said “Tomorrow you’ll encounter the people sent by the Blank Emperor to search for Xiao Yao.” He tossed a little jewel to Xiao Yao before vaulting off the ship to land on the water surface.

“What is this?” Xiao Yao asked.

“A sea map. If you don’t have the ability to survive on Sheng Nong Mountain, then come to the ocean. This sea map is but a small portion of the ocean but with your body in no time you’ll be like a fish as familiar with the ocean.”

If in the future you feel you have no where to go, remember you can call the sea your home now. I have chosen my path and I won’t be able go with you.

Xiao Yao remembered what Xiang Liu said before, there are countless islands in the vast ocean, some with nothing on it, others as beautiful as a dream.

“I don’t need this!” Xiao Yao wanted to toss the jewel back but Xiang Liu was already walking away, stepping on the emerald waves headed North until his form disappeared.

I can’t bear the thought of a future without you. Remember when I told you I wanted to explore those islands (with you)?

Left Ear watched Xiao Yao continue to stare at the direction where Xiang Liu vanished.

Why else would she stare at the direction where XL vanished if not for longing for and missing him.

After a long long time, Xiao Yao finally looked away and carefully tucked the sea map jewel away. 

XY understands that no matter how much she wishes for it, XL won't change his mind and choose to accompany her. She accepts that she must walk her own path.

liddi:
I am still clinging on to a sliver of hope that they addressed all the glaring issues in the leaked script during filming and in post-production.......

This be us while waiting for Season 2 to air. Please don't be like the leaked script....

Hopefully, this won't be us once it's all over... :-)

liddi:
Not that I can recall. The one thing she did say on a Weibo post in Oct (not sure what year it was) is that:

The female protagonist's choices had always stemmed from her psychological shortcomings, and her psychological state was closely related to her development during her childhood and youth, which is commonly referred to in psychology today, as "family of origin".

She stayed pretty true to this. The minimal character development and the choice of Jing right to the end pretty much showed this. I can't even complain that TH lied to me - she warned us. 

liddi:
am actually tempted to brave the drama A Lifetime Love properly once more. Can anyone who has watched the drama tell me whether it is a good idea to to so?

I highly, highly recommend you NOT to torture yourself needlessly like that. Huang Xiao Ming was at the peak of his "oily" era in this. Every time he's acting all romantic with Victoria Song, in my head, I was like, please get away from her! Not exactly the best thing for romance :-). And the actor that they chose for Shao Hao was all wrong. I tried, but have to drop it around episode 15.

liddi:
I am probably one of those weird people who loves angst that makes sense and is done well - Scarlet Heart is one of them (both the novel and the 2011 drama), as is LYF the novel.

I'm more of a happy-ending kinda gal - I just want to feel satisfied when I put down a book, not left feeling down in the dump. But, I can accept angst that is well done. Scarlet Heart works better for me than LYF.

liddi:
You are skipping Filter as well? I am actually looking forward to that one, because there is no source material to butcher.

I'll be checking out Filter for TJC. My experiences with TH's penned screenplay/script have not been positive. But I am glad that I won't have to deal with another potential butchering of a character that I love :-)

AH :
Lol, HeadInTheClouds I have to admit I find the huge discrepancy between our preferences here amusing. ^^

Most of the time when I seek out entertainment for escapism I'm looking for stories about characters with very intense feelings who are willing to make big sacrifices for the person they love / the people they care about

Escapism or not, there are certain things that I may not be able to overlook when it comes to certain values or principles. My values are the lens that I look at life; they are automatic - I don't turn them on or off, I just choose whether to let certain things go or not.

I do enjoy the over-the-top love story in these CDramas with all of their tropes and conventions, but I think they are best to enjoy at a distance; closer examination will result in too many eye-rollings :-).  Not all Xianxia/Idol romance dramas or characters are created equal; some are more palatable than others. Besides, there is making sacrifices for loved ones and then there's whatever the heck that Jing did, which to me isn't about sacrificing so much as weakness of character.

AH :
The funny thing is, despite all the time I spend sort of defending TSJ in this thread, most of the time I don't like him much either. I just don't dislike him as intensely as most of the participants in this thread,

Maybe some people think that I disliked this character because I like XL or because I think he comes in between XY and XL. That's giving this character two much credit. Although, I guess I do dislike him because I like XL as all the characterisitcs that I like about XL are all the characteristics that missing in Jing.  

This character just happened to have a good chunk of characteristics that goes against my values. If he was a villian or it was clear that we supposed to see him for the weak wimp that he is, I wouldn't have reacted so strongly. But since I feel as if I supposed to like him, on principle, I just have to dislike him twice as much :-)

Kokuto:
Yes, as I said before, I didn't care for the Jian Bird being appropriated, cause I connect it with the poem or idiom that XL states before killing the Lovers Bugs.

I don't think the Jian birds were used in the poem or the saying that XL recited before he removed the Lovers Bugs. He referred to the Mandarin Ducks which of course also represent couples/lovers. It seems like the Jian Birds were used specifically for the drama poster. What's interesting is that the idioms that are typically used to wish newlyweds harmonious married life are, in Vietnamese:

Căm Sắc hảo hợp

Loan Phụng hòa minh

The first refers to the musical instruments that were already mentioned. While the second refers to the male and female phoenixes singing in harmony. There is certainly no shortage of idioms that can be used to depict harmonious married life, so I wonder if they deliberately chose the Jian Bird to emphasize the co-dependency of the YaoJing relationship.

Some details of Fangfeng Bei during my re-read.  Vol 2 Ch1 in particular reminds me that underlying the unrestrained, careless nature of Fangfeng Bei is a coldness and detachment that is usually associated with Xiang Liu.

The dancer was dancing gracefully to the melodious music, her slender waist as pliant as a water snake’s, enticing those present to hold her in their arms. The men sitting around tried to reach for her but no one managed to touch her. Just then, two men parted the gauze curtains and walked in. One of them grabbed the dancer and felt up her waist before throwing her into the arms of the other man. “Let this tiny waist spend the night with you.”

All the dancers at this dance hall were performers who sold their craft, not their bodies, so the dancer’s face was cold at first. However the moment she saw the man’s face, her cheeks were flushed and her heart pounded despite being accustomed to the ways of the world. Her anger dissipated, and she willingly followed the man.

The man laughed and putting his arms around the dancer, led her up the stairs. Xiao Yao felt the man looked familiar but due to the angle from where she stood and the gauze curtains, she did not get a good look at his face until he reached the top of the stairs and she saw his face clearly. Her eyes widened and her mouth gaped open. He looked exactly like Xiang Liu except he was richly dressed with pitch black hair and an indolent smile in his eyes that was nothing like the icy cold Xiang Liu.

Xiao Yao continued to stare at him while he swept a glance over her without stopping at her at all. On the other hand, the other man smiled at her and reaching out his hand to lift her veil, said, “Little lady, if your looks are pretty enough, I will let you accompany me tonight.”

-- Vol 1 Ch15

Fangfeng Bei was not free every day. He usually only required Xiao Yao to accompany him for a day every five or six days, which gave her enough time to consolidate the archery skills she learnt from their previous meeting. Once, he even disappeared for three months before showing up once more.

Xiao Yao did not ask where he went and he did not offer an explanation either. They both understood that their relationship as master and student was a temporary one, and could end at any time should an unexpected situation arose.

However, in the eyes of outsiders, Xiao Yao and Fangfeng Bei were very close with each other. In addition, because he taught her archery, there was an intangible intimacy that they both shared.

-- Vol 1 Ch16

The adolescent Fangfeng Bei was vastly different than the adult Fangfeng Bei, but everyone had long forgotten what Fangfeng Bei used to be like. Xiao Yao silently recalled that Fangfeng Bei may seem completely different from the cold Xiang Liu, but wasn’t that easy-going attitude of not caring about anything, not wanting to possess anything, just another form of coldness? The only difference was Xiang Liu appeared to be the side of him who donned battle armour and fought on the bloody battlefield, while Fangfeng Bei was him who shed the armour and was enjoying himself in the bustling mortal world.

-- Vol 2 Ch1 (Chapter 18)

HeadInTheClouds:
This be us while waiting for Season 2 to air. Please don't be like the leaked script....

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes that there is no train wreck at the end of it.

HeadInTheClouds:
I highly, highly recommend you NOT to torture yourself needlessly like that. Huang Xiao Ming was at the peak of his "oily" era in this.

Acks! I couldn't stand him during that era... and it was only NiF2 that totally changed my perception of him as an actor (loved his Pingzhang and the relationships he had with his wife, father and brother, and so devastated at his fate), which was a turning point for him leading on to other interesting roles such as in Winter Begonia where he worked with TJC, and they both look to be good friends even now.

HeadInTheClouds:
But, I can accept angst that is well done. Scarlet Heart works better for me than LYF.

For the longest time, I could not stop crying whenever I read or watched Scarlet Heart, which totally killed me, but it was always with a sense of inevitability and fatalistic resignation. On the other hand, LYF and a particular Nine-headed Demon left me under such a cloud of prolonged sadness and a sense of injustice on his behalf that he did everything for her, but she would never know, even if that was exactly what he wanted. Different situations, but all roads lead to pain. 

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't think the Jian birds were used in the poem or the saying that XL recited before he removed the Lovers Bugs. He referred to the Mandarin Ducks which of course also represent couples/lovers. It seems like the Jian Birds were used specifically for the drama poster.

No. In the novel, the ji'an birds were referred to in the Bai Li folk ballad the Shaman king recited, and Xiang Liu quoted the same saying before he removed the lover's bug:

相柳坐到桃花舟旁,凝视着沉睡的小夭,轻声说:“地上梧桐相持老,天上鹣鹣不独飞,水中鸳鸯会双死,情人蛊同命连心,的确无法可解!当年我能帮颛顼解蛊,只因为玱玹并非心甘情愿种蛊,你根本没有真正把蛊给他种上。我却是心甘情愿,真正让你种了蛊!你三番四次要我解蛊,我一直告诉你解不了,我知道你不相信,可我的确没有骗你,我是真解不了蛊!”

Xiang Liu sat next to the peach blossom boat and stared at the sleeping Xiao Yao before softly saying, “‘The sycamore trees on the ground will grow old intertwinedthe ji’an birds in the sky will not fly alonethe mandarin ducks in the water will die together.’ The lover’s bug connects our lives and join our hearts, and is impossible to remove! Back then, I could remove the bug from Cang Xuan only because he did not willingly accept it, so you never successfully planted it in him in the first place. However, I was wholeheartedly willing to let you plant it in me! You kept asking me to remove the bug and I kept telling you it was not possible. I know you didn’t believe me, but I was not lying. I really cannot remove it!”

-- Vol 3 Ch15  (Chapter 48)

As such, using the ji'an birds for the YaoJing poster is yet another appropriation from YaoLiu, when the birds were never used in association with YaoJing in the novel. 

liddi:
No. In the novel, the ji'an birds were referred to in the Bai Li folk ballad the Shaman king recited, and Xiang Liu quoted the same saying before he removed the lover's bug:

liddi:
As such, using the ji'an birds for the YaoJing poster is yet another appropriation from YaoLiu, when the birds were never used in association with YaoJing in the novel.

Thank you for the correction and clarification, liddi :-). I used the English translation, I wonder if it was left out or if I just misread it.

blabla100:
The thing is I am more indulgent towards XY than most people here are because I do understand her wish to have someone with whom she can build a future and a family with. I believe we all wish for that.

blabla100:
XY's request to have someone next to her forever is understandable, I can't judge her because of that.

I have numerous issues with this character and her behaviour, but her reluctance to choose XL and her desire for someone who can be with her "forever" has never been one of them. Her choice of Jing as this someone - continuously returning to him despite his inability to deliver on anything - definitely judging her on that :-)

blabla100:
XL had 9 lifes, would have been able to save himself one while still fighting for his soldiers till the end? Yes.

How do you see this happening?

blabla100:
Was he willing to do that? Obviously not. If he was, than what exactly stopped him from doing so?

Maybe if he and XY were together he would have a reason to stay alive, particularly if they had children. This is not to say that XY was responsible for XL's outcome or that XL would have definitely thrown away his commitment to his adopted father and comrades for XY, but that sometimes your priorities and choices may change because life happens. But this is only a "what ifs", one of many that we can only speculate on. As it stands, their relationship never got off the ground because XY backed away from it at the beginning. By the time that she wanted to give it a go, it was too little too late. 

HeadInTheClouds:

Thank you for the correction and clarification, liddi :-). I used the English translation, I wonder if it was left out or if I just misread it. 

I think Mandarin ducks were used to help English readers understand the idiom. I did some research into the decrepency and that's the only viable answer I can think off.

HeadInTheClouds:

In chapter 37, Kaola translated Jian bird as dove which is not correct. 

"The Voodoo King sighed “Our Jiu Li folk ballad sings ‘The twisted roots of the parasol tree entwine on land, the doves do not fly alone in the sky, the pair of mandarin ducks in the water always die together.'”" (chapter 37)

However Kaola left the bird out when XL said that folk song to sleeping XY in chapter 48

Xiang Liu sat down next to the raft and stared at the sleeping Xiao Yao before softly saying “The tree grows old on land together, the mandarin ducks die together in the water – the Lover’s Bug connects heart to heart and our lives, and it truly has no way to break the bug.  (Chapter 48)

As @liddi mention the song said by XL and by the Shaman king were identical

liddi:
No. In the novel, the ji'an birds were referred to in the Bai Li folk ballad the Shaman king recited, and Xiang Liu quoted the same saying before he removed the lover's bug:

P/S: in the Vietnamese translation, they use "chim liền cành chẳng rời xa nhau" which is also wrong or mistyping. It should be "cánh" instead of "cành" 

@HeadsInTheClouds

"Her choice of Jing as this someone - continuously returning to him despite his inability to deliver on anything -"

"Maybe if he and XY were together he would have a reason to stay alive, particularly if they had children." 

If you believe XY ever had XL as an option, which I personally don't believe so, than why do you think she didn't pick him?

@HeadInTheClouds @H19279

Just noticed I had a typo in my translation - it should be jian bird, not ji'an bird.

The mythical 鹣鹣 jian bird is also known as 比翼鸟 Bi Yi bird. These are the mythical birds with one eye and one wing which could only fly as a pair, not individually, thus dependent on each other and inseparable. The birds are used to represent a loving union between husband and wife, two halves that make a whole. 

The novel only mentions the jian bird specifically  in three sections - twice in Bai Li with the Shaman king, and once before Xiang Liu removes the lover's bug.

However, Xiao Yao did use a Chinese idiom that uses the word 鶼 jian in combination with 鲽 (di'e fish, also known as 比目鱼 Bi Mu fish, which could only swim when another fish leans close to it) to refer to deep love between a married couple in the following text:

Cang Xuan asked, “What kind of man do you want?”

“Someone who can be my companion to pass the days, and dispel my loneliness. Nothing else matters. The main thing is that he cannot have another woman! Otherwise I will definitely castrate him!”

It was unclear what Cang Xuan was thinking, to be so deep in thought that he did not notice that the wine bowl was already full and continued to pour until it spilt all over the place. Xiao Yao laughed, “Did I shock you? I was being serious!”

Without batting an eyelid, Cang Xuan shook his sleeves, upon which the wine spilt on the table evaporated into white smoke and disappeared.

Xiao Yao picked up the wine bowl and said as she drank, “Perhaps it is as maternal Grandfather said. 鹣鲽情深  Deep love [like that of the jian bird or the di'e fish] between a husband and wife can only be encountered and not asked for. However, as long as one chooses the right person, it is not difficult to grow old together in mutual respect. I no longer trust myself, so you help me choose one!”

-- Vol 2 Ch9  (Chapter 26)