Hello my friends I came with my qs after a couple of weeks XD. I try my best to catch up on your posts:) so here are my questions.

1) WXL never saw XL or his face before meeting him, then after the mask melting how could she possibly recognize him?

2) Is XL capable of trapping people in a loop or sth? Cuz I perceived 2 cases.
First: when WXL in the first scene met XL (while she was escaping) got into this situation and got back to where she was at first.
Second: Another case is one of CX's men trying to run away from XL got into some kinda loop sit too.

3) In ep 25 when FFB went to XY room he got poisoned by her or not? (Given that she was thinkin to herself that her poison did not affect him) but after a while he coughed blood. Then she gave him sth to take.

4) Given the fact that XY's biological father was a demon then was she a demon (having a demon's blood) even before getting XL's blood?

Tnx for responding in advance :))

I'm still catching up but I guess a month ago there was a discussion regarding Jing character and how low it was well I wanted to add my take too.

I also believe that the ep in which Jing drank the poison WXL gave him (WXL was mad at XL after he swung by) was siezing the moment (falling into her embrace, the more I think ab/watch that scene the more his true intention gets revealed for me). I mean notice his eyes in that moment you can see victory kinda look on em.
My guts tell me that he already was aware of the content of the bottle yet he drank it just to kill 2 birds with one stone (getting her attention and taking advantage of her) IMO :/
And this is for those who keep saying that Jing would never do anything to benefit from XY and always treted her better than XL.
Who agrees with me?
 Kimiya78:

I'm still catching up but I guess a month ago there was a discussion regarding Jing character and how low it was well I wanted to add my take too.

I also believe that the ep in which Jing drank the poison WXL gave him (WXL was mad at XL after he swung by) was siezing the moment (falling into her embrace, the more I think ab/watch that scene the more his true intention gets revealed for me). I mean notice his eyes in that moment you can see victory kinda look on em.
My guts tell me that he already was aware of the content of the bottle yet he drank it just to kill 2 birds with one stone (getting her attention and taking advantage of her) IMO :/
And this is for those who keep saying that Jing would never do anything to benefit from XY and always treted her better than XL.
Who agrees with me?

Jing had always played on XY insecurities and understood XY t ests people to see if they are really worth her time. She tested XL too (I see thier conversation on the beach as one of those psychological tests, even if it is rooted in some truth). Jing was sleezy but XY had built an affection towards him. I believe, if XY's affection had been towards FL, XL would done the same things he did, and pushed her towards FL. 

Kimiya78:
Hello my friends I came with my qs after a couple of weeks XD. I try my best to catch up on your posts:) so here are my questions.

Good to see you back.  Didn't you have a test you were studying for?  How did that go?

Kimiya78:
1) WXL never saw XL or his face before meeting him, then after the mask melting how could she possibly recognize him?

Everyone knows XL is a white haired demon.

Kimiya78:
2) Is XL capable of trapping people in a loop or sth? Cuz I perceived 2 cases.
First: when WXL in the first scene met XL (while she was escaping) got into this situation and got back to where she was at first.
Second: Another case is one of CX's men trying to run away from XL got into some kinda loop sit too.

Hmmm.  I didn't really put that together.  But he can do magic, so he certainly could.  Since both of those happened near his military camp, perhaps it is a formation trap, where anyone who gets too close to his camp, they are trapped in a loop so he can capture them. 

Kimiya78:
3) In ep 25 when FFB went to XY room he got poisoned by her or not? (Given that she was thinkin to herself that her poison did not affect him) but after a while he coughed blood. Then she gave him sth to take.

I think she attempted to poison him when she just thought he was an intruder.  He's coughing blood, because he's wounded.  That's part of the reason he went to her room, to get healed.

Kimiya78:
4) Given the fact that XY's biological father was a demon then was she a demon (having a demon's blood) even before getting XL's blood?

In the book, Chi Chen isn't actually a demon, he's called the King of the Beasts, so he's an orphan child who was raised by animals, and may have some supernatural powers.  @plor20 said he's a hero figure of the Hmong that has been turned more villainous in Chinese stories.  Which is kind of what happens in the book, now that I think about it.

Kokuto:

Kimiya78:
Everyone knows XL is a white haired demon.

No-one knew how XL looked like. The rumor about he had white hair was not mentioned . Lao Mu had never encountered high-ranking official of Sheng-nong before. They only knew XL was a 9 headed demon who was ruthless, cunning etc. 

WXL awared that that man had high ranking in the army because other soldiers called him "Lord"; additionally, he had exceptionally high spiritual power, he had powerful, special riding animal, and wore special outfit.  And he also dealed with paperwork/document. 

Beside the above clues, WXL could guess XL's identity due to the impression of his look

At this time he was holding a document in one hand as his eyes were lifted in scorn. He sensed Xiao Liu looking at him and smiled towards Xiao Liu who shivered and immediately shut his eyes. That look he’s only seen once when he was small, it was the way the famous demon in the wilderness  looked at her, it was the look that only someone who had stepped on countless corpses could give off. Xiao Liu guessed who he was, that legendary handsome beyond compare murdering evil devil the Nine-headed Demon – the one with nine-lives Xiang Liu. (Chapter 2)

blabla100:

@HeadsInTheClouds

"Her choice of Jing as this someone - continuously returning to him despite his inability to deliver on anything -"

"Maybe if he and XY were together he would have a reason to stay alive, particularly if they had children." 

If you believe XY ever had XL as an option, which I personally don't believe so, than why do you think she didn't pick him?

Because Jing cut everyone off with the 15 Year Dragon Bone Prison Promise.

Because XY knows he is CX's enemy.

Because XY is afraid and makes decisions based out of her trauma.

Because XY doesn't make the first step and makes decisions based out of her trauma.

Because XL didn't offer, after she rejected him on the beach.

nathsketch:
We are going through something with my grandpa and, needless to say, it's not going to be pretty :(

I'm sorry to hear that nathsketch <3 Not an easy thing to go through one's self, and also not an easy thing to see a loved one go through. 

nathsketch:
He wasn't old, sick, mortally injured, disabled, or losing his mind. He would still be able to live many many years. Probably MANY more years than Jing

True. Neither his body nor his mind was failing him. But he didn't choose the ending he chose because he was afraid of being trapped and at the mercy of a failing body or a failing mind. His precise reasons are debatable, but IMO the fact that he did choose that ending for himself is stated clearly. And he lived for over 600 years. The idea of living to be over 100 is a daunting thought. To live more than one hundred years six times over? That doesn't seem appealing at all. Especially if many of those years would be spent watching countless people die and then remembering all of them. 

This is making me think of a few scenes in the novel. I'll put them in a separate comment... I think it may end up being fairly long. 

If I were in XL's shoes, I'm not sure if I would make the same choices, but I can understand why he would decide, at that point, to create circumstances where he could die in a way that he thought was particularly fulfilling (and in a way where he was able to give the woman he loved all the things he wanted to give her before his death) rather than trying to survive a battle that none of his comrades could survive.

nathsketch:
Is it good? I read the book many years ago and it's such a masterpiece.

The novel is one of my father's favourites. I have a hold on a library copy, but the waitlist is insane, so I haven't read it yet. 

The drama is only 10 episodes, so definitely a very consolidated version of the story told in the novel, and I'm aware of a few changes that I know some people who loved the novel didn't like (e.g., changing the iconic "unless you win" exchange so that that statement doesn't really make sense in the drama and loses a lot of its impact). And if I was a fluent Portuguese speaker I think I might be extra annoyed by the fact that every time a character speaks in Portuguese in the story (which happens often), the actors speak in English instead and the audience is supposed to just imagine that they are speaking in Portuguese. 

But the first two episodes kept my interest and made me want to check out the novel, and the production value is high. 

Convo with nathsketch got me thinking about how various characters in the novel think about life (especially the very long lives of deities) and death (especially death before one has lived out their full, natural lifespan). Probably missing a few more scenes that are on topic.

No particular point here, except maybe the idea that deities and demons lived such long lives that it might affect their views about life and death compared to mortal humans. 

-----

Chapter 3:

Xiao Liu hurried back to his room, the hard shell around his heart already sealed shut again. It was his moment of softened pity that caused him to be confused for a while but now he was back to thinking clear again. Every person arrived alone on this Earth and would depart alone. There was no one to rely on. How much hope and reliance one had today, was how much pain and suffering one would endure down the road. Rather than that happening, it was better to not have it to begin with.

Since Shi Qi temporarily couldn’t go back, then he’ll let him stay for now. A temporary companion, and this brief period in what was a long life would one day be forgotten.

-----

Chapter 4:

“No matter if you believe me or not, but I really don’t hate you at all and don’t want to kill you. Because I’m very lonely. I developed a strange tic when I was hiding in the deep mountains and went many years without encountering another person. I caught a monkey and started talking to it all day long. The monkey tried to escape and when it couldn’t it actually hit its head against the cave wall and committed suicide. Later on, I encountered a snake that wanted to eat me and almost bit off my leg. But it could understand what I was saying and reacted to whatever I said. I knew it was dangerous but I couldn’t help myself and could constantly go prance around in front of it. It was so furious it almost went insane. Having it around, it wasn’t so lonely in the mountains anymore.” Xiao Liu laughed. “After some time, he discovered I was super sneaky and wanted to leave but I wouldn’t let it and kept bothering it so it kept trying to kill me.”

Xiao Liu looked up at the moon and there was an indescribable sadness in his eyes. “They say the Heavens favors the tribes of the Gods, but I think it favors the humans. They are just like the Gods in every way except their lives are so short in comparison. Look at the moon, it’s been there like that for the last thousand years. No matter how beautiful a sight, one will still get tired of it.”

“That snake, what happened afterwards?”

“Died!”

“You killed it?”

“No, the King of the fox tribe.”

“Nine-tailed fox?”

Xiao Liu shut his eyes. “The Nine-tailed fox wanted to kill me but the snake believed only it could eat me so it blocked the path of that vicious fox…so it ended up dead!”

Xiang Liu softly chuckled. “Interesting. And the fox?”

“I killed it.”

“You’re that powerful?”

“He should have killed me the moment he caught me. But he was consumed by hatred and greed. He used various special creatures to feed to me, forcing me to eat many disgusting things, all so that he could make me nice and plump before eating me. He intended to use my mythical blood to help him recover his lost powers……Oh, I forgot to tell you, he wasn’t a Nine-tailed fox by then, just an eight tail since he got a tail cut off so his powers were severely depleted. He raised me for thirty years and right when he was about to partake of the victory, one day he accidentally got drunk in front of me.”

“He kept you locked up in a cage?”

“Yup.”

Xiang Liu was silent for a moment and his hand was massaging Xiao Liu’s neck. “Am I the snake to help alleviate your loneliness?”

Xiao Liu smiled. “Who knows? Perhaps I’m the snake who is amusing you.”

Furball was flying slow and evenly while Xiang Liu looked out at the horizon, his face like the still water, without any emotion. Xiao Liu asked, “You’re in a bad mood?”

Xiang Liu quietly asked, “Those thirty years you were locked up in that cage. How did you endure it?”

In the beginning I wanted to escape. I would yell, try to upset it. Later I stopped and just silently refused to cooperate. I tried to kill myself many times but never succeeded. Finally I gave up and tried to find joy in my situation. I would make bets with myself as to what nasty new thing the evil fox would bring. I loathed him and hated him with every fiber of my being. I started collecting materials to try and make a poison, thinking that when he ate me I would eat the poison first and poison him to death.”

Xiao Liu scooted closer to Xiang Liu. “But a person’s heart is strange. Happiness or sorrow, it’s all relative. If a person had only one biscuit a day but then saw beggars frozen on the street, he would feel happy because he wasn’t as bad off. But if he saw all his friends get rich then he would feel sorry that his life was terrible. Do you really need me to get into more detail about my horrific past? I can consider embellishing so that you’ll think it’s not just horrible, it’s the worst ever!”

Xiang Liu raised his hand to smack Xiao Liu who immediately closed his eyes and curled up like a beaten animal’s automatic reaction to anticipating more pain. Xiang Liu’s hand lowered and he put it on Xiao Liu’s neck. Xiao Liu saw that he didn’t hit or bite and felt a bit bolder. “You’re really different tonight. Did you grow up in the ocean?”

Xiang Liu didn’t answer and Furball descended until he was right up against the ocean surface. Xiang Liu got off the back of the condor and instead of falling in the water he was standing on the surface like it was land. He reached out his hand to Xiao Liu and he immediately grabbed it and slid off the condor. Furball was actually scared of water and immediately rose back into the air.

Xiang Liu strolled along the waves with Xiao Liu. There wasn’t a sliver of light, the ocean was pitch black, there was nothing ahead of them, there was nothing behind them. The world was so vast and Xiao Liu felt so miniscule as if a wave could swallow him at any time. He grabbed Xiang Liu’s hand tightly.

Xiang Liu suddenly stopped and Xiao Liu didn’t know why but he didn’t ask any questions. He inched closer to Xiang Liu and kept him company staring out towards the East. After some time, a moon rose from the edge of the ocean and the quiet beauty was so powerful that Xiao Liu felt the hard shell around his heart soften. In the sound of the ocean waves, Xiang Liu’s voice spoke, “As long as there are such sights in this world, then life is very precious.”

Xiao Liu nattered, “The most precious of sights will get old after seeing it too much. Only if someone views it with me. Views are dead, only if a person can appreciate it then the view has meaning.”

It wasn’t clear whether Xiang Liu heard what Xiao Liu said, but he didn’t respond. The most beautiful view had passed and Xiang Liu summoned Furball to take them back. Xiang Liu closed his eyes and there was exhaustion in his brows. Xiao Liu asked “Why are you in a bad mood?”

Xiang Liu ignored him so Xiao Liu just spoke out loud, “Since Little Zhu Rong took over running the Middle Plains, I hear the Middle Plains are starting to be well managed. The Yellow Emperor will eventually deal with General Gong Gong. The power structure in this world can’t be reversed, and definitely not by the will of one person. I suggest you take off sooner rather than later. Actually, you’re just a demon, and a loathsome nine-headed one at that. With those snobbish Gods of the Sheng Nong tribe, in their eyes you are……you are less than nothing. Why do you have to worry about the Sheng Nong rebel army. What can you get by following General Gong Gong? Do you like power? Then why don’t you betray Gong Gong and cast your lot with the Yellow Emperor………

Xiang Liu opened his eyes and they were blood red with a demon glare. Xiao Liu was shaken by his glance like his entire body was paralyzed and blood began to drop from his nostrils and his fingertips. “I… wrong! - wrong!” Xiang Liu closed his eyes and Xiao Liu’s body toppled forward onto the condor’s back like a used rag. When they were almost back at Qing Shui Town, Xiao Liu sat up and wiped the blood away before wordlessly falling off the side into the river.

-----

Chapter 5:

Xiao Liu asked “This time, why don’t you buy it directly from the Tu Shan clan?” Xiang Liu coldly replied, “No money!”

Xiao Liu wanted to laugh but didn’t dare in case he made Xiang Liu angry. He raised his head to look at the stars. “You are a demon. To help out the completely unrelated Sheng Nong, is it worth it?”

Xiang Liu laughed, “You can waste your time taking care of a bunch of losers. Why can’t I waste my time doing pointless things?” Xiao Liu smiled. “You’re right. In this long life, one has to find something to do. Fine, let’s go see him.”

There were two bodies on top of a pyre. Xiang Liu walked over where there were hundreds of soldiers lined up. He poured three cups of wine and then lit the pyre. Within the flames of the fire, the faces of the men showed their familiarity with death, but in the mournful sounds of the song they sang*** it conveyed their deep sorrow. Their singing wasn’t in unison, flitting in and out, as they wondered about their cause and what it all meant in the long run.

It was true that the Yellow Emperor forcibly took over the lands of Sheng Nong. But the Sheng Nong Kingdom was now no more and the people living there only wanted a peaceful life to live. They don’t care who the Emperor is, and even began to speak warmly of the Yellow Emperor’s intelligence and generosity. The people don’t care about the remaining Sheng Nong soldiers who refuse to surrender. Thousands of years later, their determination won’t be remembered.

Only by giving up and bowing low could they get a sweet wife, a cute kid, perhaps even wealth given by the Emperor. But they still persisted to cling on to their belief. To hold onto something most people no longer cared about. To risk their lives for it.

The wheels of history were already turning but they remained stubbornly rooted in place, with their arms outstretched trying to turn the wheels back. But they were people that time has forgotten, they are going against the tide, and they were destined to be obliterated. Xiao Liu knew they were foolish, and felt pity for them, but he also couldn’t help but feel respect towards them.

In this moment, Xiao Liu suddenly realized why his last mocking question to Xiang Liu about why he worked for Gong Gong doing pointless things, to suggest that he betray Gong Gong and throw his lot with the Yellow Emperor, that question would cause Xiang Liu to fly into a dark rage. In this world, there was a determination that may be destroyed, may be annihilated, but can never be mocked!

Xiang Liu slowly walked back with the sorrowful song lingering behind him. Xiao Liu leaned against the door and watched him walk in the blood-stained sunset, his white hair and white robe still pristine and untouched. Xiang Liu stopped in front of Xiao Liu, his cold gaze containing a measure of disdain, but it wasn’t clear if it was meant for the world or for himself.

Xiao Liu suddenly bowed. “I wanted to apologize for what I said last time.” Xiang Liu was expressionless as he entered the house. “If the medicine comes sooner, they can live a bit longer. They are warriors. If they are to die, it ought to be in front of the Yellow Emperor’s army.

-----

Chapter 18:

The Gods had a long life span so birthdays were not a big deal and usually only celebrated on whole numbers like hundreds or thousands. Actually, they lived so long the Gods would long forget how old they were. Only in the powerful families that really catered to their kids did birthdays get celebrated more often.

-----

Chapter 24:

Ah Nian wiped her eyes. “Dad knows, otherwise how else would I know about the other women around Zhuan Xu gege. Dad’s servant told me and also said Zhuan Xu gege will marry Sheng Nong Xing Yue. I know Dad is doing this to end my hopes but I told Dad I can’t ever forget him!”

Xiao Yao was in disbelief. Never forgetting? With the long lives of the Gods, how can one never forget another?

-----

Chapter 29:

The one-armed old man stared intently at Xiao Yao before downing all the wine in his bowl and then launching into a song. His song was sad and plaintive, singing about the fallen Sheng Nong kingdom and the sorrow of the soldiers fighting.

Xiao Yao listened intently and suddenly remembered the blood-stained sunset when Xiang Liu was dressed all in white and walked towards her from a burning funeral pyre of dead Sheng Nong soldiers.

Li Jie Chang yelled, “Uncle, stop your drunken craziness!”

The old man kept singing so Li Jie Chang shoved him into the house and nervously said to Xiao Yao, “The old man has low tolerance but loves drinking. When he gets crazy he loves to sing songs he heard from places…..he only has one arm now and his legs can barely walk, he’s already useless…..”

Xiao Yao said, “I only came to eat. Once I walk out this door I’ll forget everything.”

Li Jie Chang was relieved and listened to the singing from inside the house and sadly added, “My Uncle isn’t a bad guy, in fact he’s too good of a guy which is why he….can’t forget.”

Xiao Yao suddenly realized that when Li Jie Chang was talking about Fang Feng Bei earlier, all the things he was saying were about Xiang Liu. Did he know Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu?

That meant Jing also knew now that Bei was Xiang Liu.

Xiao Yao looked over at Jing and then back at Bei before saying to Bei, “Are you done eating? If you’re done then let’s go!”

Xiao Yao and Bei walked out while Chang chased out after them. “Little Lady!”

Xiao Yao stopped and looked back wearily. “What else do you want to say?”

“Knowing your identity, what else can I say? I just wanted to tell you that Jing’s son was due to him falling into the trap set by Fang Feng Yi Yang and his own grandmother. All these years since Jing lives alone and he never allows Yi Yang near him. I use my life as Li Jie Chang to swear that Jing deeply loves you, he only has eyes for you.”

Xiao Yao turned and walked away. The night was quiet and the road was long – which way was her path?

Xiao Yao softly asked, “Bei, tell me…..why is it so hard to find a person to walk the path with?”

Fang Feng Bei said, “Finding a person isn’t hard, finding a person who shares the same interests, genuinely treats you well, and makes the journey more interesting, that is what is hard.”

Xiao Yao asked, “Can one never forget a person for an entire life?”

“Depends on the person. If you are talking about Jing, then I think it’s highly possible.”

“Do you mean he can’t forget me, or I can’t forget him?”

Fang Feng Bei smiled. “However you want to interpret.”

Xiao Yao furrowed her brows and angrily said, “There are a lot of good men left in the vast wilderness!”

“There are plenty of good men, but there aren't many who will really put you inside his heart.”

“What do you mean? So I shouldn’t marry Feng Long?”

“I don’t mean anything. You asked me so I honestly told you my thoughts.”

“Xiang Liu, I really don’t know, what is your heart thinking deep down inside?”

You and I are travelers who have crossed paths in this windy world. Whenever we meet we are each other’s companions to enjoy the world is all! Why do you care what I think deep down inside?”

Xiao Yao mocked herself “Yes, it’s my over-thinking! No matter what you feel deep down inside, none of it has anything to do with me!”

Xiang Liu stared down the dark alley and said nothing.

Xiao Yao was silent for a few moments and then casually said, “Jing knows you’re Xiang Liu now. He won’t tell my Gege but if Feng Long knows, Gege will find out. You… be careful.”

Xiang Liu stared at Xiao Yao and she avoided his piercing gaze and asked, “Who was that old man selling donkey meat?”

“He used to be a subordinate of Qi Yo and one of the survivors in the final battle in Yi Province. Carrying all the memories of those who perished, it’s easier just to have died.” Xiang Liu smiled. “Actually, to a General, the best ending is to die on the battlefield.

It was a warm Summer night but Xiao Yao suddenly felt her entire body turn cold in an instant.

-----

Chapter 35:

Xiao Yao wandered with the lantern viewing crowds and didn’t have a destination in mind. She didn’t know how many streets she walked or how many lanterns she saw. She wandered down a decrepit alley until she was standing in front of a ramshackle door and she realized that this was where she wanted to go all along.

Xiao Yao pushed open the door but instead of the fragrant donkey meat cooking in the yard it was cold and empty inside. That old one-armed man who cooked delicious donkey meat, he wasn’t cooking it anymore?

Xiao Yao walked into the courtyard where it was pitch black with no sign of life. The moon reflected down on the tables stacked in the corner which was covered in dust.

Xiao Yao knocked on the door. “Is anyone here? Old uncle, old uncle…”

No one answered and Xiao Yao walked into the residence where an altar was set up on the table and three burning incense sticks were lit before it. This tableau told her exactly where the old man had gone.

Xiao Yao stood there for a while before walking inside and sitting down on the pallet.

The residence was already old, and having no one live in it gave it a musty scent, but Xiao Yao didn’t want to leave. Perhaps this was the only place that welcomed her.

Xiao Yao stared at the altar and silently sat there for a while before suddenly asking, “Old uncle, they said you were once a general for Qi Yo. You must be very familiar with him. Did you ever meet my mom before? Actually I’ve wanted to come talk to you for a long time but I never had the guts to do it. I avoided anything related to Qi Yo, but now I can’t avoid it any longer. I finally have the courage to come ask you: what kind of person was Qi Yo? Is he really a demon devil bastard like everyone says he is? Did he ever talk about my mom with you? Did he know of my existence? I have so many questions to ask you, but you’re already gone…”

Xiao Yao leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, her tears broke through the sea wall and flooded her face.

The donkey meat cooking old general was the only person left in the world who knew Qi Yo. She had thousands of opportunities to come ask him but she didn’t come, and now she was here it was already too late.

In her teary eyes, Xiao Yao saw a shape appear from the corner of the dark room. Xiao Yao immediately used her arms to cover her face and wipe away her tears.

“Who are you? Why are you hiding there?” Xiao Yao’s voice was scratchy but she was already calm.

The shadow didn’t speak, but also didn’t leave. Instead it walked over to the pallet.

Xiao Yao didn’t raise her head, but clearly felt it. The other heart was walking towards her and beating with her heart. “Xiang Liu!”

Xiao Yao lifted her head and saw Xiang Liu dressed all in black with a black cloak covering him, wrapping his entire form snugly in pure black. He seemed like an imposing but ordinary person, until the slight gap in his hood showed a few white hairs.

Xiao Yao suddenly realized he saw her earlier crying and loss of composure and felt very awkward so she coldly asked, “Why are you hiding here? To see something you can mock?”

Xiang Liu said, “Be reasonable, okay? I came to pay my respects to a departed old friend and you suddenly barged in. It’s you who interrupted me. Furthermore, what is there about you that is worth mocking?”

Xiao Yao was silent before suddenly asking, “Xiang Liu, why did you pick Gong Gong? Because he’s your adoptive father?” Xiao Yao didn’t know how she had the guts to ask him this question, probably because Xiang Liu didn’t seem like Xiang Liu tonight.

“Not just because he’s my adoptive father, there are also all those soldiers I fought along with and watched them die. We drank together, we went to battle together, we picked up our fallen brethren’s bodies…” Xiang Liu looked over at the altar. “For hundreds of years, do you know how many of my fellow soldiers I’ve had to personally cremate?

Xiao Yao couldn’t imagine, but she understood what Xiang Liu felt. Her Fourth Uncle could have survived that day, and he did love Fourth Aunt and Zhuan Xu, but he chose to die alongside his soldiers. In this world there was camaraderie so strong that one would die rather than abandon it.

Xiang Liu laughed and pointed at his head. “I’ve lost count, but they are all here.”

Xiao Yao buried her head in her lap and grew silent. She felt her heart all jumbled and she didn’t know if it was for Xiang Liu or for herself.

-----

Chapter 43:

Xiao Yao stared at the sky and didn’t feel any rage at being lied to, or fear at imminent death. Only the sadness of having her hopes dashed. Since childhood she had lived a hard life, her heart always drifting, feeling like she would be abandoned at any time. After her engagement to Jing did her heart settle down, thinking that things would finally change. Who knew Jing left her, even if it was just like her parents when a reason that couldn’t be helped. But she was still abandoned again, and she didn’t want to keep being strong anymore to face a long life ahead. If Jing slept in this ocean then she would rather be here with him.

-----

Chapter 44:

Feng Long stood up. “I’m off now. You… don’t be too sad. You have a long life ahead, Jing will want you to be well.” Feng Long suddenly felt rather absurd. Xiao Yao was going to be his bride and after she ran away at the wedding, he thought he would never forgive her. He once cursed her a lifetime of loneliness and pain. Who knew today seeing her like this, he actually felt bad himself.

-----

Chapter 48:

Lie Yang and Ah Bi were initially very worried about Xiao Yao, but hearing that she would wake up eventually was a relief. They lived on Jade Mountain, year in year out it was the same, and a few hundred years felt like the blink of an eye. But to Zhuan Xu that wasn’t the case, a few hundred years could be countless life changing moments, endless partings and gatherings, it could even be an entire lifetime. Zhuan Xu had been rushing since he regained consciousness so hearing Xiao Yao might not waken for hundreds of years left him reeling and his body wobbled and Xiao Xiao rushed over to assist.

-----

Chapter 50:

Xiao Yao said, “Gege, can you……can you……spare Xiang Liu?”

Zhuan Xu was shocked. “He killed Feng Long, don’t you want to avenge his death?

“Killing Xiang Liu won’t bring Feng Long back.”

Zhuan Xu stared long and hard at Xiao Yao as she continued, “I know you are in a tough spot, but I’ve never asked you for a favor when it’s difficult for you. This is my first, and last time, begging you for something.”

“Is Xiang Liu Fang Feng Bei?” Zhuan Xu appeared to be asking Xiao Yao but his expression was certain.

Xiao Yao didn’t want to hide it anymore and woefully nodded.

“So that’s it! No wonder I’ve felt that certain things were so odd, but now it all makes sense. Are you two still seeing each other?”

“We’ve severed all ties. I never want to see him again in this lifetime and he certainly will also never want to see me. But no matter how he’s treated me……..I…..I still want him to stay alive.”

Zhuan Xu took a deep breath. “Xiang Liu killed Feng Long and I need to give a reckoning to the Chi Sui clan and Sheng Nong tribe, otherwise it cannot appease the Middle Plains. But, as long as Xiang Liu is willing to stop, I can give him a chance to disappear.

“Disappear” doesn’t mean “die”, so this meant Zhuan Xu agreed with her pleading. Xiao Yao smiled brightly. “Thank you Gege!”

“Don’t thank me. Grandfather and I tried countless times to bring Xiang Liu to our side and I even gave him carte blanche to name his terms. But he would never abandon or betray Gong Gong. Actually all this time it’s not I who wouldn’t stop, it’s him who wouldn’t stop. If he vows to fight to the death, then there is nothing I can do. I can’t sacrifice Ru So and the soldiers. His life is a life, but so are the lives of those fighting for me.”

Xiao Yao bit her lip and lowered her head as she quietly said, “I know.”

Zhuan Xu patted her on the shoulder. “He chose his path and now you’ve chosen yours and have done all you can do. I think you’ve done enough for the friendship. No matter what happens, you can forget him and forget it all!”

-----

XL's Epilogue:

In the distance he could see fires burning, that was Ru So burning the entire mountain to force them to come out and battle. The final battle was about to arrive. All the soldiers knew their fate and they willingly chose this path in life. The world was at peace and the people were safe and secure, these Sheng Nong resistance army soldiers were now discarded in the passage of time and had become pointless. So death was the best release for them, and the most comforting final destination.

-----

*** Koala did not translate the lyrics of the song that the Shengnong soldiers sang in chapter 5, which was adapted from one of the three Elegy poems written by Tao Yuanming (aka Tao Qian). 

Not sure if the poem thread has covered this already? Apologies if this is redundant. 

Lyrics of the Shengnong soldiers' song:

此身托河山,不足道。

一朝气息绝,魄俱烟消。

得失不复知是非安能觉

千秋万岁后谁知晓?

This body rests on rivers and mountains, birth and death are insignificant.

Once the breath has been exhausted, the soul will dissipate.

Gains and losses are no longer known, how can one be aware of right and wrong?

After thousands of years, who knows the honour and disgrace?

The poem:

拟 挽 歌 辞:三 首

必 有 
早 终 非 命 促。

昨 暮 同 为 人
今 旦 在 鬼 录。

魂 气 散 何 之?
枯 形 寄 空 木。

娇 儿 索 父 啼
良 友 抚 我 哭。

得 失 不 复 知
是 非 安 能 觉

千 秋 万 岁 后
谁 知

但 恨 在 世 时
饮 酒 不 得 足。

Imagined Elegies: Three Poems

No. 1 by Tao Yuanming

Those who are born must die
Those who have a birth, must then die,
Where there is life there must also be death,
early or late is not a matter of fate.
to die early does not mean a short lifeAn early end is not [necessarily] a life cut short.
Last night (yesterday evening) I was the same personUp to the last day, people exhibit their same behaviorsYesterday evening we were people together,
this morning (this dawn) I am recorded among the ghosts.upon death, the spirits enter your name into their ledger.

today at dawn we are listed among the ghosts.

To where has the soul energy dissipated?Where does this soul, the spirit’s breath, scatter to?The breath of the soul-- where has it gone?
My corpse (withered form) is sent to the coffin (empty wood).

Decaying body placed into an empty coffin.

A dried-up shape is left in hollow wood.

My beloved son (Jiao'er), asking for his father, criesYoung children search and cry for their fatherMy beloved children snivel, looking for their father,
a good friend, caressing my body, weeps.Good friends cry in mourning.

my best friends mourn by the coffin, weeping.

Gains and losses are no longer known
Success and failure, not regained or known, never to repeat
Winning, losing-- I won't come back to know them.
right and wrong eternally put to rest.Will no longer sense right from wrong.

Being, nothingness-- how can I tell them apart?

After a thousand autumns and ten thousand ages have passed,After thousands of years pass
In a thousand autumns, in ten thousand years,
who will know of my honor and disgrace?Who will know of your honor or shame.

who will know our glory and shame?

I only hate that when I was aliveOnly regret during my lifetime:But I do regret that during my time in this world
I did not drink enough wine.

Not getting enough wine to drink.

I did not drink all the wine I wanted.

liddi:
Argh. So no redeeming qualities whatsoever? I tried to watch it about 3 times over the past year since LYF, but never managed to make much leeway. And I really want to watch something that belongs in the same universe and gives context to LYF. I guess I'll have to find the time and energy to read Once Promised instead.

I'm afraid I personally didn't feel like it had any redeeming qualities.

If you do end up reading Once Promised, please let us know if you come across any interesting tidbits. Especially if they relate to LYF!

liddi:
It is mine too, as is Chapter 37 when they both listened to the song of the merpeople that last night at Bai Li.

Ooh yes, that too. Although for me that chapter is pretty mixed. There's good moments like that, but then there's things like TSJ grabbing XY to stop her from following XL.

liddi:
And of course, we will be robbed of every single one except Ch48 and the epilogue, unless a miracle happens.

And even with chapter 48 it seems like it will only be partially adapted with major changes. 

liddi:
As for my girl, it had always been her choice - be it to watch, or read, and I respect her decisions. She may choose to revisit it one day or not - it does not matter. She knows best what she can and cannot handle, and I am glad she put a stop when she felt it was too much.

That's good. 

liddi:
Even if she doesn't revisit this universe, she will always have the grumpy Xiang Liu doll to cheer her up (and me too, especially his wayward hair, which seems to take on his characteristics too, come to think of it!)

^^ I'm glad for that. Loved the pics you shared of him. 

H19279:
No-one knew how XL looked like. The rumor about he had white hair was not mentioned . Lao Mu had never encountered high-ranking official of Sheng-nong before. They only knew XL was a 9 headed demon who was ruthless, cunning etc.

Really?  I could have sworn the kids in the drama were running around playing XL and the Xiyan army had a white haired mask.

H19279:
WXL awared that that man had high ranking in the army because other soldiers called him "Lord"; additionally, he had exceptionally high spiritual power, he had powerful, special riding animal, and wore special outfit. And he also dealed with paperwork/document.

She seemed to know when she first met him.  I mean, he referred to 'humans' when he scolded Chubby, like he wasn't one.  He doesn't look human.  And she knew there was a chance of running into XL in this territory. Who else is it going to be?

H19279:
That look he’s only seen once when he was small, it was the way the famous demon in the wilderness looked at her, it was the look that only someone who had stepped on countless corpses could give off.

Hmmm.  So who is the famous demon in the wilderness that looked at her previously? 

Kokuto:
She seemed to know when she first met him.  I mean, he referred to 'humans' when he scolded Chubby, like he wasn't one.  He doesn't look human.  And she knew there was a chance of running into XL in this territory. Who else is it going to be?

I think she knew the man was a demon. But at that time, demon, deity and humans lived together. Many demons joined the army. In fact, in a troop, there were just a few powerful deity members.

Yes, she knew there was just very very small chance that she could encounter such special, high ranked general in the outerskirt of the forest. 

She was only certain about his identity until she saw his look which reminded her of Chi You (the famous devil in the wideness). 

Moreover, deity or demon could change their appearance. It is said that the eyes are the windows/openings of the soul. Thus, the look from his eye reflect his real soul and could not be masked or faked. Below is the conversation between CX and XY about no-one knew XL's face. 

On Cao Yun Peak, Xiao Yao sat on the swing while Zhuan Xu leaned against a tree. She kept wondering, was that Xiang Liu or not Xiang Liu?

“Gege, have you ever seen Xiang Liu’s real face?”

“No, every time I’ve seen him, he’s wearing a mask.”

Xiao Yao was curious “Xuan Yuan has him on the most wanted list for hundreds of years but there isn’t a portrait to go along with it. All these years and no one has seen what he really looks like?”

“People have seen it, but Xiang Liu is a Nine-headed demon, and rumor has it that he has nine real faces and also eighty-one different forms. All the people who have seen him have contradictory statements, one time someone described him to look exactly like sixth uncle.”

Zhuan Xu changed the subject “The guy who wanted to pick you up at the dance hall is your younger cousin Shi Ju, the only son of uncle Cang Lin.”

“The person next to him?”

“Don’t know him but he’s not using transformation or masking spell. Though after what you and Jing did last time, I’m no longer absolutely certain about piercing through transformations.”

AH :
Convo with nathsketch got me thinking about how various characters in the novel think about life (especially the very long lives of deities) and death (especially death before one has lived out their full, natural lifespan). Probably missing a few more scenes that are on topic.

No particular point here, except maybe the idea that deities and demons lived such long lives that it might affect their views about life and death compared to mortal humans. 

Many of the idea about life and death which was highlighted in orange text (up to chapter 29) is XY's perception and opinion. And we all know that she had psychological shortcomings. Thus her view was abnormal. Her thinking is very negative, persimistic. For example, in chapter 26, she wondered about meaning of life when it was not possible to control birth and death. “Life! Death! We can’t control our birth and can’t control our death. Sometimes I think since we can’t control the biggest two things in our lives, why fight for all the little insignificant things? It feels so pointless!” 

On the opposite, CX said “Dummy, can’t you look at it from another angle? Because we can’t control life and death, we have to fight to control the others so that everything between life and death is fully under our control."

XL's view about life is much more positive, loving the life and enjoying life despite his hard life (including the life in Sheng Nong army, witnessing countless death). Xiang Liu’s voice spoke, “As long as there are such sights in this world, then life is very precious.” 

AH :
“He used to be a subordinate of Qi Yo and one of the survivors in the final battle in Yi Province. Carrying all the memories of those who perished, it’s easier just to have died.” Xiang Liu smiled. “Actually, to a General, the best ending is to die on the battlefield.”

The donkey meat seller who was a veteran for sure suffered from PTSD. 

AH :
His precise reasons are debatable, but IMO the fact that he did choose that ending for himself is stated clearly. And he lived for over 600 years. The idea of living to be over 100 is a daunting thought. To live more than one hundred years six times over? That doesn't seem appealing at all. Especially if many of those years would be spent watching countless people die and then remembering all of them. 

I don't know if Xang Liu also suffered from PTSD, but for sure he was afraid of that. All those ceased soldiers carved in his mind. 

Moreover, death for righteousness, loyalty to the country is consider great value in Confucianism. Thus, as a soldiers, death for the country, their belief is much more honor than death because of dease or old age (when he told WXL in Sheng-nong camp during medicine crisis). However, he only said out loud that the best ending for a general is death on the battlefield in chapter 29 when maybe he lost all hope in XY. Moreover, we also can see XL's choice is similar to Samurai's spirit and its well-known Samurai's suicide. I watched some movies about Samurai and most of the time I can't swallow the reason they committed suicide

H19279:
She was only certain about his identity until she saw his look which reminded her of Chi You (the famous devil in the wideness).

Ah, so it was Chi You?  Is she really saying they looked at HER the same?  Or that they both have a piercing terrifying gaze?  Cause I doubt Chi You would ever look at her with scorn.

H19279:
I think she knew the man was a demon. But at that time, demon, deity and humans lived together. Many demons joined the army. In fact, in a troop, there were just a few powerful deity members.

Really?  I wouldn't think very many demons were in the army, since there would have been less contempt for XL as a demon if there were.  Plus, didn't XY say demons weren't suited for the army?  That she was surprised that XL had overcome / suppressed his demonic nature to be disciplined enough for the army?

I get the feeling that the powerful deities, if they were in the army, would be generals, leading the troops.

H19279:
Yes, she knew there was just very very small chance that she could encounter such special, high ranked general in the outerskirt of the forest.

Maybe roaming the forest, but she knew if she were caught by the Resistance Army there was a 50 / 50 chance that she would be hauled in front of XL.  Her and Lao Mu discussed that as a reason NOT to go.  And now that @Kimiya78 brought it up, it appears the Resistance Army must have had traps around their camps -- not that she would have known that, but she and Lao Mu should have expected it.

H19279:
Moreover, deity or demon could change their appearance. It is said that the eyes are the windows/openings of the soul. Thus, the look from his eye reflect his real soul and could not be masked or faked. Below is the conversation between CX and XY about no-one knew XL's face.

Yes, no one knew his face, but anyone who fought him in battle would have seen the white hair.  At least, according to the troops, he liked to stand out with his white clothes and draw the enemy attention, so I'm making the assumption (wrongly or rightly) that would also include his white hair.

FYI, I did check the scene in the drama, and there the kids' mask didn't have white hair, so I'm not sure where I got that idea.

Kokuto:
Ah, so it was Chi You?  Is she really saying they looked at HER the same?  Or that they both have a piercing terrifying gaze?  Cause I doubt Chi You would ever look at her with scorn.

It is not really terrifying gaze. It is a kind of agorantly scary/cold look that pay attention and regard to none, nothing could influence his soul. Chi You only looked at Ah Heng with love, longing and tenderness. 

Chi You recued Xiao Yao when she was kidnaped by the Nine Tailed Fox. At that time, he still thought that XY was Shao Hao's daughter. Thus, he probably did not give her a warm look.

Really?  I wouldn't think very many demons were in the army, since there would have been less contempt for XL as a demon if there were.  Plus, didn't XY say demons weren't suited for the army?   

There were legions consisting of demonic soldiers in the army. I don't remember detail of Sheng-nong army in Once Promised. But in Xuan Yuan army, Ying Long was Greatt General (he was mentioned in chapter 17 and when CX tried to investigate XY's biological father). "Ying Long was one of the Yellow Emperor’s most trusted generals and was a renowned hard rock". He was a demon and led a legion made of demon soldiers. He and his troop was describled in Once Promised. He was very loyal to Qing Yang and later he fought beside Ah Heng. Of course, in the beginning many deity generals and royal officials had bashed him

Kokuto:
Maybe roaming the forest, but she knew if she were caught by the Resistance Army there was a 50 / 50 chance that she would be hauled in front of XL.  Her and Lao Mu discussed that as a reason NOT to go.  And now that @Kimiya78 brought it up, it appears the Resistance Army must have had traps around their camps -- not that she would have known that, but she and Lao Mu should have expected it.

below is the excerpt about their discussion about the mountain and Sheng-nong army 

Xiao Liu said “The mountains are the territory of the Sheng Nong resistance army. You’re a Xuan Yuan army deserter, going there would be asking to die. Plus you don’t know those herbs. I’ll go.”

Lao Mu replied “The Gong Gong controlled resistance army is fair and principled, they won’t harm innocents and even ordinary humans aren’t scared of running into Sheng Nong soldiers. But that Lieutenant General Xiang Liu is very difficult. Rumors say he is a Nine-headed Demon. He has nine lives and his nickname is Nine Lives. He is vicious and brutal.”

Xiao Liu laughed “I’m not going to scout intelligence, I’m going to get spiritual plants. He may be vicious but he has to follow army rules. Plus I’ll never run into someone as powerful and lofty as General Xiang Liu.”

Lao Mu was thinking the same thing. He was in multiple battles before and forget Nine Lives Xiang Liu, he’s never even run into army officials ranked several ranks above him before.

He felt reassured and reminded Xiao Liu to be careful and not go where not needed and if no spiritual plants are found then to come back and they can think of another way.

WXL left the house very early morning (before the sunrise). She and YSQ walked the whole day in the forest and settled for eating and resting overnight by a water stream/pond in the forest. Thus the place where she encountered XL was likely deep into the wild forest.