coachmye:
I really love Xiang Liu, All he has to do is open his mouth and let Xiao his true feelings and they could have a thing going but that's what happens Lack of communication causes huge misunderstandings.

I've kind of been wanting to post a few quotes from the people who tell XY she shouldn't be with XL because I feel (I know this is ridiculous) a little defensive of XL at the suggestion that he and XY could've been together, easy as pie, if only he'd just confess his feelings to her.

A few snippets:

----------

Zhuan Xu asked “What are you thinking about?”

Xiao Yao said “I suddenly remembered the voodoo bug I planted in Xiang Liu. My body’s pain, he has to feel all of it. But what about my heartache? Does he also need to endure it? He said he has nine bodies so my pain isn’t too much for him to endure. But what about the heart? He only has one heart!”

Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao by the shoulders and harshly said “I don’t care what your relationship with him was in Qing Shui Town. Do not remain close to him now!”

Xiao Yao smiled bitterly “I know!”

----------

The Grand Emperor asked “Is he Nine-lives Xiang Liu? This time, he was the one who saved you?”

Xiao Liu answered in a low voice “Yes.”

....The Grand Emperor said “Xiao Yao, I don’t restrict your freedom but as your father I beg of you – do not have any relationship with him. He’s exactly on the opposite side of Zhuan Xu and your blood line has already made the choice for you.” The Grand Emperor had already seen one tragedy before, he didn’t want to see the same tragedy with Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao took the mirror back and smiled “Dad, what are you thinking about? My interactions with him have always been a transaction. He saved me because he made a deal with Zhuan Xu.”

The Grand Emperor sighed “You need to remember this well, I would rather have the entire world vilify and castigate me for eliminating the entire Fang Feng family if that is what it takes to snatch that Tu Shan clan’s little fox for you. That is preferable than you having anything to do with Xiang Liu.”

----------

The Yellow Emperor said “You leave, too! Don’t spend the entire day in the court with an old fogey like me. With Zhuan Xu and me here, you should learn from Ah Nian and be more impetuous and do what you want.”

Xiao Yao casually said “It’s because you and Zhuan Xu are here that I don’t dare be impetuous and do what I want. My bloodline has destined me to be tied down so why even bother? If I said right now that I’m going to find Xiang Liu to play with, will you agree?”

The Yellow Emperor grew silent and seemed very concerned “I won’t agree. Zhuan Xu and he are destined to battle to the death one day. I don’t want you to be devastated when that day comes. Anything else you want, I will do my best to give it to you.”

----------

Li Jie Chang said “Little Lady, Fang Feng Bei is like that old man, neither are good stuff. Following Bei isn’t a good bet, why don’t you seriously consider my pal here. My pal here was accidentally set up by a woman and a son resulted, but it’s not a mistake that can’t be forgiven…”

"... Let me tell you straight up, Fang Feng Bei’s life is here today with no guarantee of tomorrow. Even Jing who made a mistake is a better choice than Fang Feng Bei.”

Xiao Yao slammed her wine bowl on the table and gave Li Jie Chang a piercing look “I’m already engaged and my fiancee isn’t him. So please, please, I beg you stop stepping all over Bei!”

... Xiao Yao glared at Chang and said to Fang Feng Bei “You are sure even-tempered with this guy.”

Fang Feng Bei drank his wine and said casually “Every word he said is the truth. I’m not a guy suitable for a woman to follow. Isn’t that something you already know?” Xiao Yao stared at Fang Feng Bei and couldn’t utter a response.

... Xiao Yao suddenly realized that when Li Jie Chang was talking about Fang Feng Bei earlier, all the things he was saying were about Xiang Liu. Did he know Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu? That meant Jing also knew now that Bei was Xiang Liu.

coachmye:

I really love Xiang Liu, All he has to do is open his mouth and let Xiao his true feelings and they could have a thing going but that's what happens Lack of communication causes huge misunderstandings.  I love the story and I just really wish they could be together and live a happy life together and have a happy ending. But it is what it is !

Agreed with you. If XL has been more open with his feelings then XY will know.  Most of us here wish that;)

However reading the novel and seeing how this character is being portray on screen. There is a couple character traits that we can’t change for XL and I am glad the drama remains three to it: 1) he purposely choose not to tell XY, because he knew he couldn’t give XY the happiness she wants; 2) he is a loyal and deep inside is a kind hearted snake demon, with his past bad experiences. The little love he experiences, he cherishes it and is grateful, that is very animal instinct, not so sure about snake instinct. And he will always repay back. 3) he always said he has nine heads hence tends to be too complicated in thinking, which time and time shows in his action. He doesn’t want to burden or even give XY an opportunity to feel burden of his feelings (this part very different from TSJ who always make XY promises.lol. Cunning fox). So everything XL does, he emphasis on transaction. 

In my opinion, XL is a beautiful character but can only be husband quality if he was first found by XY and not his Gong Gong.

Looking through Tong Hua’s past works, I do feel LYF is a complex and complicated world with characters of many layers and the political story among the countries were quite well thought out.  So YES! Think so far it’s her best work.

@AH, The 37 years of intimacy and healing scene in the novel is definitely what I missed for this drama. WHY can’t they show more of that.!!!! 

XL in this drama is so-too polite to XY. But I guess it’s to balance the scenes among all MLs and so as audience, we don’t feel intense lost for them when XL reach his end.

I have read some things about snakes and here's what it said.

"Outwardly, Snakes are calm and balanced, which is far from reality. Passions are raging deep inside them. They can flare up, be jealous, and suspect their soulmate of all sins and, of course, won't forget grievances. However, they are also loyal and sincere. They can have lots of affairs, turn everyone's heads, but when they meet real love, they transform into a reliable and devoted partner."

Some of those characteristics are well portrayed by XL, esp. that passion raging inside of him. Cold outside, but passionate inside.

Sirry Usly:
I like this theory. I wonder if that might be part of the reason he takes her on dates a lot because in those moments she seems truly happy.

The novel sets it up a bit more clearly, but every time XY feels particularly lonely or heartbroken over TSJ, XL/FFB seems to magically appear to take her on a little date or adventure. I definitely take satisfaction in knowing that he can literally feel her heartache turn into joy.

Sirry Usly:
I wanted to see this so badly in the drama...I like the additions but I was slightly disappointed ngl. 

You are not alone! I've been telling myself that it would be very difficult to portray those scenes exactly as they are in the novel (how would they have XL embrace XY's seemingly unconscious body and make sure that it didn't come off as creepy?), but yeah. Still a bit disappointed.  

chase_kayden:

I have read some things about snakes and here's what it said.

"Outwardly, Snakes are calm and balanced, which is far from reality. Passions are raging deep inside them. They can flare up, be jealous, and suspect their soulmate of all sins and, of course, won't forget grievances. However, they are also loyal and sincere. They can have lots of affairs, turn everyone's heads, but when they meet real love, they transform into a reliable and devoted partner."

Some of those characteristics are well portrayed by XL, esp. that passion raging inside of him. Cold outside, but passionate inside.

Wow, that’s an interesting piece of info.;) thanks dear.

Aisha Gresee:
Tbh, I am a bit heartbroken to see these barren replies of xiang liu's love story to Xiaoyao compared to the neighbour thread of Jing's. Xiang Liu deserved to be honored more anyway.

Xiang Liu was grown by himself in harsh surrounding, he managed to survive by being fierce, fear and tough. He was far from being loved, even more perhaps he only knew that love was all sacrifice which he later did to Xiaoyao for his entire life. He made a mistake for hurting Xiao yao from the beginning, but since at first Xiao Yao befriended with him because of loneliness similarity, hurtfull childhood experience, out of fear, finally he opened his only heart to her particullarly with the dangerous tool of love poisoning bugs as requested by XY.

I could feel his pain anyway when Xiaoyao had turned into a girl, and even as a princess and rejected him, and forgetting about the suffering he had to endure because of the bugs. I mean, here XY was also changing her character, from selfless, tough and helping, kind physician man to a selfish, sentimental, a bit hindering, and inconsiderate princess. She became a way similar to her step sister. Tbh, after the change, for me I only saw Xiang Liu's sacrifice journey as a point of interest in this drama. Because he was the only character who remained in loneliness and suffering until the end, and again betrayed by the one he gave his only heart to.

This </3. Only watching the rest of the series for XL's scenes. 

AH :
I've been telling myself that it would be very difficult to portray those scenes exactly as they are in the novel (

Yeah, I was telling myself that too to help and it worked for a bit but now...lol

AH :
I definitely take satisfaction in knowing that he can literally feel her heartache turn into joy.

I wish there was a way for this to be more clearly expressed in the drama but idk how they would pull that off tbh because to me it's not a matter of acting as TJC and YZ are doing a great job. 

Sirry Usly:

Yeah, I was telling myself that too to help and it worked for a bit but now...lol

I wish there was a way for this to be more clearly expressed in the drama but idk how they would pull that off tbh because to me it's not a matter of acting as TJC and YZ are doing a great job. 

We've already seen it, though not for XL.  Remember, CX could feel XY's ... arousing appreciation of XL's drinking her blood.

Poor XL.  He must have been dead drunk during those zither lessons. And let's not even think about what got destroyed or injured when Jing was macking on XY.   I can see him chanting "I'm happy she's happy.   I'm happy she's happy.  I'm happy she's happy.  ARRRRGH!  I am NOT happy!"  Freak snow blizzard hits the Rebel camp.

Kokuto:

We've already seen it, though not for XL.  Remember, CX could feel XY's ... arousing appreciation of XL's drinking her blood.

Poor XL.  He must have been dead drunk during those zither lessons. And let's not even think about what got destroyed or injured when Jing was macking on XY.   I can see him chanting "I'm happy she's happy.   I'm happy she's happy.  I'm happy she's happy.  ARRRRGH!  I am NOT happy!"  Freak snow blizzard hits the Rebel camp.

LOL

Why did you have to remind me?

LMAO I'm actually so sad now....why would you do that to me...I totally forgot about that aspect. Honestly, I really hope he could not feel how she felt during those kisses. I wonder if he cried. Probably not but can you imagine? I could not.  

Sidenote: I remember seeing a comment somewhere where someone said they'd be okay with her being with Jing if she had XL's baby and the way I burst out laughing ????

Kokuto:
Poor XL.  He must have been dead drunk during those zither lessons. And let's not even think about what got destroyed or injured when Jing was macking on XY.

Oh NO! I really, really don't want to think about this. I'd be okay if he felt a little bit. Enough to confirm that XY really had deep feelings for TSJ so it was worth it to invest so much in ensuring they got together. But more than that? I am choosing to believe he has enough control over the connection to shut it off. Or he can drink himself numb or unconscious. Anything other than being unable to shut out the torture of feeling her every emotion and sensation in those moments. 

Sirry Usly:

LOL

Why did you have to remind me?

LMAO I'm actually so sad now....why would you do that to me...I totally forgot about that aspect. Honestly, I really hope he could not feel how she felt during those kisses. I wonder if he cried. Probably not but can you imagine? I could not.  

Sidenote: I remember seeing a comment somewhere where someone said they'd be okay with her being with Jing if she had XL's baby and the way I burst out laughing ????

OMG.

I can just see Jing counting the baby's nine fox tails, like humans count fingers ... "Waaaait a minute.  Those aren't tails." 

ROFL

I'm sorry.  But you guys wanted them to show XL feeling XY's joy...  On the plus side, as AH said, we've seen XL as FFB turning XY's unhappiness to fun many times.

No.  I think XL only lets himself feel close to tears with XY.  Otherwise, I think it's violent freak snow storms and decimated Xiyan camps.  Or lots of drinking. ;p

Kokuto:
I can just see Jing counting the baby's nine fox tails, like humans count fingers ... "Waaaait a minute.  Those aren't tails." 

?? the horror 

Kokuto:
I'm sorry.  But you guys wanted them to show XL feeling XY's joy...  On the plus side, as AH said, we've seen XL as FFB turning XY's unhappiness to fun many times.

I didn't realize how selfish and painful ?? that request was so thanks for pointing it out. Also, yes, watching their fun moments has been so nice. 

I want baby snakes, that's all. They could at least give us that *sobs*

Honestly, I wish there was a whole vol (even a chapter) dedicated to show XL's perspective of when he's with XY dhdjsksk I just want to know his POV even if it's bound to hurt ;;w;;

nathsketch:

I want baby snakes, that's all. They could at least give us that *sobs*

Same ;;w;; but this is giving the sequel of Phantom of The Opera (Love Never Dies) where Christine has a night of passion with the Phantom but she still marries Raoul because although she would've chosen Erik (Phantom), he was gone as soon as the daylight hit DHSHJSSJ