We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 liddi:
Actually that's not correct. When Jing arrived to stop the ceremony, he was dressed in green, not blue.

Thanks for the translations and clarifications liddi.

Idk why Koala chose to translate it as blue instead of green, but at least her translation is consistent in that chapter. TSJ's robes being green (rather than blue) and the similie refering to "green bamboo" definitely makes the association between the two clearer and more logical than associating blue robes with a forest.  

-----

Koala's translation of chapter 49:

The man in blue vaulted off the crane’s back and landed on the altar. He appeared to have just gotten over a grave illness, his complexion pale and wan and his figure thin. But his features were graceful and refined and his demeanor calm and composed. He politely bowed to the Royal Mother. “Tu Shan Jing from Qing Qiu. I’m here to pick up my fiancée. I heard from the servants that the succession ceremony was going on and I should have waited, but I had no choice but to barge in. So my apologies for the intrusion.”

Jing bowed respectfully. “Your Majesty.” After he straightened, he took Xiao Yao’s hand again and one white, one blue, they were like the moon and the forest, always beside each other.

-----

Edit: Perhaps she did so for consistency with her translations in chapter 8 (where 色 was used to refer to YSQ wearing sky-blue robes)?

Although it's not consistent with her translation in chapter 11 (where 青 was used to refer to TSJ wearing green robes, as opposed to another man who was wearing  robes, which she translated as blue).

And perhaps also to account for the fact that 青 was used to describe the colour of TSJ's figure, while 绿 was used to describe the colour of bamboo?

-----

liddi:
衣人从白鹤上跃下,站在了祭台前,他好似久病初愈,脸色泛白,身材瘦削,可五官隽秀,神情自若,风流天成。落英缤纷中,他恭敬地对王母行礼:“青丘涂山璟,来接晚辈的未婚妻,已听侍女说过玉山正在举行王母继位仪式,不接待外客,本该依礼等候,但晚辈事出有因,不得不硬闯,还请王母海涵。”
The man in green vaulted off the back of the crane and stood in front of the altar. He appeared to have just recovered from a long illness, his face pale and his body thin. However, his features were handsome and refined, his expression calm,  with a naturally suave air. Amidst the falling petals, he bowed respectfully to the Royal Mother. "Tushan Jing of Qing Qiu, has come to fetch my fiancée. The maids informed that the Royal Mother succession ceremony is underway at Jade Mountain, and no guests will be entertained. According to etiquette, I should have waited, but I have my reasons and had no choice but to force my way in. I hope Royal Mother would be magnanimous and forgive."

璟对颛顼行揖礼:“见过陛下。”起身时,他握住了小夭的手,一白一两道身影,犹如绿竹,相依相伴。
Jing bowed to Cang Xuan. "Your Majesty." After he straightened, he took Xiao Yao's hand in his. The two figures, one white one green, were like the bright moon and green bamboo, relying on and accompanying each other.

-- Vol 3 Ch16  (Chapter 49)

Chapter 8 Mandarin text:

此时,十七身着的高辛衣衫,宽袍广袖、轻衣缓带、玉冠束发、足踏木屐,行走间,步如行云、衣袂翩飞,真正是为身,流水做姿。

Koala's translation:

Right now Shi Qi was wearing a blue Gao Xing robe with wide sleeves and a simple belt, a crown encircling his hair. As he walked it was like he was walking on clouds, like he was the embodiment of the blue moon, his moves like the waves: fluid.

Google's translation:

At this time, Shi Qi was wearing sky-blue* Gaoxin clothes, a wide robe with wide sleeves, light clothes with slow belts, a jade crown for hair, and wooden clogs. When walking, his steps were like moving clouds, and his clothes were flying. It was really the bright moon. The body is made of flowing water.

-----

Chapter 11 Mandarin text:

有船从河上过,一个衣男子坐在船头,背对着小六,和另一个衣衫的男子欣赏着岸边的风景。熟悉的背影让小六立即认出是璟,小六知道他看不到自己,所以明目张胆地盯着他看。

Koala's translation:

A boat passed with a green robed man sitting with his back to Xiao Liu and he was enjoying the view beside a blue robed man. The familiar figure was instantly recognizable as Jing, and since he couldn’t see Xiao Liu, then Xiao Liu stared at him directly.

Google's translation:

There was a boat passing by the river. A man in green clothes was sitting on the bow of the boat, with his back to Xiaoliu, and he and another man in blue clothes were admiring the scenery on the shore. The familiar back made Xiao Liu immediately recognize Jing. Xiao Liu knew that he couldn't see him, so he stared at him blatantly.

-----

This forum provides some interesting clarification and background on the difference between 绿 and . It seems like 青 is used to refer to things that are blue or greenish blue more often, but it is sometimes used to refer to things that are truly green (confusingly, sometimes even the green of grass). While 绿 generally refers to things that are truly green, like the green of leaves or the green of grass. 

liddi:
And the description is of 绿竹 green bamboo, not a forest 林 or bamboo forest 竹林:

Would 竹 alone necessarily be different from 竹林? As in, would it strongly suggest a reference to only a single shoot of bamboo, or to a small amount of bamboo, and definitely not enough bamboo to constitute a bamboo forest?

In English, I'd say "bamboo" on its own is ambiguous. It could refer to a single shoot of bamboo, a small cluster of bamboo, or a whole bamboo forest. If it's the same in Mandarin and 竹 could be used to refer to a bamboo forest (even though 竹林 would be clearer and more precise), then I'd say Koala's translation lacks clarity and precision, but it's not necessarily wrong, whereas it would necessarily be wrong if 竹 could never be interpreted to mean a bamboo forest. 

AH :
This forum provides some interesting clarification and background on the difference between 绿 and 青. It seems like 青 is used to refer to things that are blue or greenish blue more often, but it is sometimes used to refer to things that are truly green (confusingly, sometimes even the green of grass). While 绿 generally refers to things that are truly green, like the green of leaves or the green of grass.

This is great! I was like, wait, those are not the hanzi I learned for green and blue hehehe

AH :
This forum provides some interesting clarification and background on the difference between 绿 and 青. It seems like 青 is used to refer to things that are blue or greenish blue more often, but it is sometimes used to refer to things that are truly green (confusingly, sometimes even the green of grass). While 绿 generally refers to things that are truly green, like the green of leaves or the green of grass. 

Commonly, 青 means "green", but in certain contexts, it can also allude to a shade of blue. Descriptions such as 青衣 usually refer to green clothes, as opposed to 蓝衣 blue clothes. 

天青色 refers to a colour which is similar to that of the sky on a clear day.

绿 is unequivocally green, regardless of what it is used to describe.

AH :
Would 竹 alone necessarily be different from 竹林? As in, would it strongly suggest a reference to only a single shoot of bamboo, or to a small amount of bamboo, and definitely not enough bamboo to constitute a bamboo forest?

绿竹 can mean literally "green bamboo" or a species of bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii) which is native to Taiwan and southern China, densely foliated, and can grow up to 20m tall, with a diameter of 10 cm.

For me, I would think of 竹 as a shoot or clump of bamboo. Certainly, not a bamboo forest. 

In the context of the two figures that Cang Xuan saw - one white one green, it would make more sense that he imagines them as the moon and a bamboo shoot or clump, rather than an entire bamboo forest.

liddi:
Commonly, 青 means "green", but in certain contexts, it can also allude to a shade of blue. Descriptions such as 青衣 usually refer to green clothes, as opposed to 蓝衣 blue clothes.

天青色 refers to a colour which is similar to that of the sky on a clear day.

绿 is unequivocally green, regardless of what it is used to describe.

liddi:
绿竹 can mean literally "green bamboo" or a species of bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii) which is native to Taiwan and southern China, densely foliated, and can grow up to 20m tall, with a diameter of 10 cm.

Thanks for this liddi!

liddi:
For me, I would think of 竹 as a shoot or clump of bamboo. Certainly, not a bamboo forest. 

In that case, it does seem like Koala's choice to translate it as "forest" is outright incorrect, and not just imprecise. 

AH :
此时,十七身着天青色的高辛衣衫,宽袍广袖、轻衣缓带、玉冠束发、足踏木屐,行走间,步如行云、衣袂翩飞,真正是明月为身,流水做姿。

The text you referenced in Vol 1 Ch8 reinforces Jing's overall appearance, which would affirm that he should appear to be more like a bamboo stalk (fluid) rather than an entire forest:

高辛一年四季都温暖,服饰很轻薄,讲究飘逸之美,喜穿木屐。此时,十七身着天青色的高辛衣衫,宽袍广袖、轻衣缓带、玉冠束发、足踏木屐,行走间,步如行云、衣袂翩飞,真正是明月为身,流水做姿。
Gao Xin was warm all year round, so their clothing was very light and thin, emphasising on the beauty of elegance, with a preference for wooden clogs. At this moment, Shi Qi was dressed in clear sky-blue Gao Xin clothes, a loose-fitting robe with wide sleeves, light clothing and a loose belt. A jade crown held his hair up, and wooden clogs were on his feet. As he walked, his steps were like floating clouds and his robes fluttered gently, his figure the embodiment of the bright moon, his posture fluid.

-- Vol 1 Ch8 

liddi:
The text you referenced in Vol 1 Ch8 reinforces Jing's overall appearance, which would affirm that he should appear to be more like a bamboo stalk (fluid) rather than an entire forest:

Thanks for the translation liddi!

liddi:
A jade crown held his hair up

I was curious about what this might look like so I checked the Manhua panel that depicts this scene to see how the artist imagined it.

AH :

Thanks for the translation liddi!

I was curious about what this might look like so I checked the Manhua panel that depicts this scene to see how the artist imagined it.

I actually was not impress with the manhua style. It was too generic for my liking as opposed to the Heavens Official Blessing artwork which blew my mind. 

AH :

The colour and robes look exactly right, though the belt is not as loose as I expected. I still can't reconcile wooden clogs with floating clouds though...

玉冠束发 The jade crown holding his hair up is not quite how I would have imagined it. I see it more like how Cang Xuan usually wears his hair, or Mei Changsu in NiF, even though the effect of him floating on clouds with fluttering robes is perhaps not as consistent with that hairdo:

Still, it would be more consistent with the scene in Vol 1 Ch14 on the ship, when he finally undid the coronet that held his hair:

却看璟一边站起,一边随手解开了束发的发冠,满头青丝如银河泻九天,披落在他背上,飘散在海风中。他侧倚着船栏,几分慵懒、几分随意地看着东边天空初露的晨曦。 
However, she saw Jing undo the coronet that held his hair as he stood up, sending a head full of black hair down his back like the galaxy falling from the sky, flying in the sea breeze. He leaned against the railing of the ship, gazing lazily and casually at the first light of dawn in the eastern sky.

-- Vol 1 Ch14

liddi:
I still can't reconcile wooden clogs with floating clouds though...

I can't help but think of Chiyo's performance shoes from Memoirs of a Geisha. (>▽<)

https://youtu.be/4_K-azIt5VE?si=Du9HfgUOhNAA-yWM&t=70

Some XL for balance in this YaoLiu thread. 

XL needs medicine for his troops and seeks out WXL's help. 

WXL and XL agree that XL will allow WXL to transfer the bug to him in exchange for a promise to do one thing that XL asks.

Although TJC is a short king, I must say I do quite like the height difference here. 

XL smiling after the bug transfer is complete, while WXL sleeps on Mao Qiu. 

plor20:
I actually was not impress with the manhua style. It was too generic for my liking as opposed to the Heavens Official Blessing artwork which blew my mind. 

I had a look. That style is certainly unique!

liddi:
The colour and robes look exactly right, though the belt is not as loose as I expected. I still can't reconcile wooden clogs with floating clouds though...

I was thinking of Japanese geta, which are wooden bottom, but the top is like a flip flop.  But they might be more of a shoe on top of a geta bottom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanfu_footwear

Boy the characters for Lu and Ji are very similar.

AH :
I can't help but think of Chiyo's performance shoes from Memoirs of a Geisha. (>▽<)

Oh, those would be keeping the wearer very rooted to the ground, with not the slightest chance of floating anywhere!

Kokuto:
I was thinking of Japanese geta, which are wooden bottom, but the top is like a flip flop.  But they might be more of a shoe on top of a geta bottom.

The text refers to the footwear as 屐, so it probably looks like a variation of these, and possibly the geta as well. Still can't associate any of those with airy, fluttering images though.

cr. Zhihu

cr. Wiki

A few questions that I see getting debated on this thread are:

1. Why did XY walk into an obvious death trap after TSJ disappeared?
  2. Why did XY commit suicide after finding out that CX betrayed her?
  3. What did XY hope would happen after she agreed to be the next Royal Mother?

The answer to all three questions is “XY hoped XL would come save her and take her away.” Why? Because of sun symbolism, the Statue of Liberty, and blue flowers. Just kidding. Because Tong Hua is an environmentalist: she recycled the same story arc three times during the course of the novel. The third arc is abbreviated because TSJ is absent for most of it, and we’re spared from a lot of his nonsense. However, we can understand the motivations behind XY’s actions by copy/pasting XY’s motivations from parallel arcs.

Plot PointArcEvents
11CX is sent by the Gao Xin King to force WXL to go to Gao Xin.
2XY agrees to marry FL to help CX’s political career.
3XY is imprisoned at the palace after figuring out that CX was involved in TSJ's disappearance.
21WXL’s first thought is that he misses XL, but doesn’t have time to ask XL for help, so hits up TSJ instead.
2XY sends XL a crystal globe, hoping he will take her away, but XL doesn’t show up.
3XY poisons herself, hoping XL will save her and take her away. XL comes to resurrect her, but leaves without saying hello.
31TSJ helps WXL escape, but TSJ *cough* intentionally *cough* gets captured and says he's YSQ.
2TSJ hires FFB/XL to rob YaoLong’s marriage, which FFB does. FFB lets XY know that TSJ hired him.
41WXL feels sorry for TSJ and goes back to help him.
2XY goes to see TSJ, hears his sob story, and feels sorry for him. She helps him solve his issues with FFYY & TSH.
51TSJ imprisons WXL asks WXL for a 15 year promise. WXL agrees because he has nothing better to do.
2TSJ imprisons XY proposes to XY. XY accepts because she has nothing better to do.
3Royal Mother offers to imprison XY let XY succeed her as Royal Mother. XY accepts because she has nothing better to do.
61XY doubts TSJ’s sincerity and decides to watch him flail in his ineptitude.
2XY avoids getting married to TSJ for 42 years until her excuses run out.
71Meanwhile, XY is lovesick for XL and falls for FFB.
2Meanwhile, XY is lovesick for XL and tries unsuccessfully to forget him.
3Meanwhile, XY is lovesick for XL and hopes that he will come to take her away.
81TSJ cannot keep his promise because his grandmother and FFYY betray him—but mostly because he chose to nap for 37 years instead of work on resolving his issues. XY is sad.
2TSJ cannot keep his promise because CX and TSH betray him—but mostly because he was shady and had FL assume all the risks of helping CX. XY is sad.
91XY activates the PLB to signal to XL at CX’s wedding. XL takes her on a sea excursion to relieve her depression, but tells her she has to go back.
2XY summons XL by walking into an obvious death trap. XL saves XY, relieves her depression, and encourages her to save herself, but ultimately leaves her.
3XL brings YSQ back from the dead to relieve XY’s depression and encourage her to save herself.
101XY gets her act together enough to help CX clear his name of an assassination attempt on the Xuan Yuan King. XY saves herself and CX from an assassination attempt on CX using the archery skills XL taught her.
2XY gets her act together enough to help Tu Shan Zhen become Clan Leader and open her own successful medical clinic. XY saves herself and Left Ear from Xing Yue’s second assassination attempt using the archery skills XL taught her (with help from Left Ear and XL's secret message to CX).
3XY gets her act together enough to pass out drunk instead of sleep with TSJ on their wedding night. When XY finds out XL died in battle, she decides to live for herself and go explore the sea and islands using the ability to breathe underwater and sea map that XL gave her.
 AH :
Although TJC is a short king, I must say I do quite like the height difference here. 

I couldn't picture TJC in the role when I first heard about his casting, and the stature was one of the concerns. However, he made the role his own, and now I cannot see anyone else as Xiang Liu. Certainly, the archery lessons would not appear half as intimate if she only reached up to his chest, and not their faces so close to each other:

The manhua does not depict the scene where he guides her movements though, and just has him telling her to try once more herself (perhaps they find the height difference daunting to illustrate too?):

I see the English translation of the manhua is up to Yu Jiang's attack? Which means you have met Fangfeng Bei. I I wonder why they chose to give him different coloured eyes as Xiang Liu vs Fangfeng Bei. 

Since we can't have Xiang Liu without Fangfeng Bei, here's some pictures of our favourite playboy of Xuan Yuan city from the manhua.

"Are you really not him?" before proceeding to poison the hapless fellow:

Hearts beating as one:

Fangfeng Bei unmasked:

plor20:
I actually was not impress with the manhua style. It was too generic for my liking as opposed to the Heavens Official Blessing artwork which blew my mind. 

True, but any LYF is better than none, so I am glad that there is a manhua available. The Chinese version  which was last updated beginning of March 2024, had only reached up to Xiao Yao refusing to let Fangfeng Bei drink from her neck. Really hope they continue soon.

liddi:
he made the role his own

True!

liddi:
Certainly, the archery lessons would not appear half as intimate if she only reached up to his chest, and not their faces so close to each other:

Very true. Although a height difference that was still significant, but less extreme than in the Manhua, can still be good. 

liddi:
The manhua does not depict the scene where he guides her movements though, him telling her to try once more herself (perhaps they find the height difference daunting to illustrate too?)

Lol, good deduction.

liddi:
I see the English translation of the manhua is up to Yu Jiang's attack? Which means you have met Fangfeng Bei.

Yep. Not sure if it will continue any further though. I think I read something last year about the person doing the English scans not continuing. 

liddi:
I I wonder why they chose to give him different coloured eyes as Xiang Liu vs Fangfeng Bei. 

I thought it might be a demon vs. deity thing (where they decided to give deities certain eye colours and demons certain eye colours), but not sure. It does seem inconsistent with the idea that FFB is supposed to be XL with no magic or transformations at play. Just a bit of hair dye added and his armour taken off. 

liddi:
Hearts beating as one:

liddi:
Fangfeng Bei unmasked:

Hadn't seen this! This is past the point where the English translation cuts off. 

You know you're in trouble when you would bother to download a dress them up (!!) mobile game 盛世芳华 and play it even though it bores you to tears, just because they have a LYF collab and the PV is gorgeous.

PV is available on Weibo and Bilibili.

Haven't completed the entire story yet, but the in-game storyline is basically the MC listening to a storyteller recount the events of LYF. Clearly, it is pretty much summarised but pleasantly surprised quite a lot of the important main details are captured.