plor20:
LYF is mediocre at best as a screenplay (ಥ﹏ಥ), so this is a real surprise!

For me, S1 did well as an adapted screenplay, bearing in mind that there are necessary changes adapting from one medium to the next. In particular, I love the Qingshui Town arc, and while I am annoyed with some of the changes (including the scene in her bedchambers, and the omissions in the 37 years under the sea!) but other changes actually improve on the book. I particularly love the bow recognition scene because it reinforces everything he wants her to learn and take with her especially when he is no longer able to protect her - even though technically speaking it was unnecessary for her to ask for his blood since it was already a part of her. 

Now if they stay faithful to the leaked script in S2, that would be a different story altogether.

plor20:

ahh...maybe I'm a real hater...but LYF is mediocre at best as a screenplay (ಥ﹏ಥ), so this is a real surprise! But Blossoms Shanghai, I am still waiting to get a chance to watch it. 

Weeeell ... I'm not saying it the best, but I'm still hooked and parsing the book and drama almost a year later, so I think there's something to the screenplay ... which actually follows the book far closer than many other adaptations, I think.  My problems probably originate from the plotting or characterizations of the book.

I definitely would watch Blossoms Shanghai, even though it isn't my normal favorite genre, cause Wong Kar Wai ... though they seem to be keeping a tight hold on that show and no English subs.  sigh.

liddi:
For me, S1 did well as an adapted screenplay, bearing in mind that there are necessary changes adapting from one medium to the next. In particular, I love the Qingshui Town arc, and while I am annoyed with some of the changes (including the scene in her bedchambers, and the omissions in the 37 years under the sea!) but other changes actually improve on the book.

I agree.  I think the changes mostly are due to adapting to live action drama and the costs.  And the additions help clarify things and added good things to the story.   Some of the changes, you have to wonder if they weren't contributions from the actors and director.

liddi:
I particularly love the bow recognition scene because it reinforces everything he wants her to learn and take with her especially when he is no longer able to protect her - even though technically speaking it was unnecessary for her to ask for his blood since it was already a part of her.

Yes, this is what I mean by adding to the story.

liddi:
Now if they stay faithful to the leaked script in S2, that would be a different story altogether.

sniff

Yes, we'll see.

The Window Metaphor

After the marriage robbery, Xiao Yao opened the window three times, and Xiang Liu closed it each time.

It was now early Winter and the temperature was dropping. Xiang Liu still wore a simple all-white robe and often did work in the courtyard. Xiao Yao had weak powers and couldn’t stay in the courtyard anymore so she often wrapped herself in a blanket and sat by the window.

Xiang Liu would often stare at Xiao Yao for a long long time. Xiao Yao sometimes couldn’t sense it and when she did sense it she didn’t mind and let him continue to stare at her.

When the first snowflakes fell, it was the first snow of the Winter. Xiao Yao reached out her hand but the snowflakes were too wispy and melted the moment it touched her palm.

Xiang Liu walked into the room and closed the window for her.

Xiao Yao opened it. Xiang Liu closed it again.

Xiao Yao opened it again. Xiang Liu closed it again.

Xiao Yao went to open it again but Xiang Liu used his power and Xiao Yao couldn’t open it at all.

Even since she left Chi Sui Castle, Xiao Yao had been calm but now she couldn’t endure it any longer and punched the window violently before glaring at Xiang Liu.

Xiang Liu coolly said “What kind of person I am, you’ve known all along. Since you dared to make a deal with the devil, you ought to have the courage to accept the consequences.”

— Vol 2 Ch 15 (Chapter 32)

When Xiao Yao visited Jing after Xiang Liu told her that Jing was behind the marriage robbery, Xiao Yao opened a window. Jing allowed her to keep it open despite knowing that keeping the window open could harm her.

Xiao Yao bathed for two hours and she decided in the end that she couldn’t hide forever. She toweled off and changed into fresh clothes and walked outside to find Jing waiting for her in the room. People here had powers so could dispel the cold but Xiao Yao’s powers were weak so the room had a lot of braziers placed around it in case Xiao Yao was cold.

The room felt muggy so when Xiao Yao walked in Jing immediately stood up but she ignored him and went to open the window. Jing quickly said “Your hair is not dry yet, you’ll catch a cold.”

Jing wanted to close the window but Xiao Yao yelled “Don’t you dare!”

Jing quickly pulled the window so that only a small slit was open. Xiao Yao wanted to lose her temper but found that she couldn’t. Jing placed a brazier right behind Xiao Yao and then handed her a cup of magnolia flower tea for her to sip.

— Vol 2 Ch 16 (Chapter 33)

These scenes illustrate the dynamics of Xiao Yao’s relationships with Xiang Liu and Jing. In her relationship with Xiang Liu, he held the power position, whereas in her relationship with Jing, she held the power position. Additionally, they show how each person reacted when Xiao Yao did something they knew was not good for her: Xiang Liu forced her to correct her course, while Jing let her have her way, regardless of the consequences.

These scenes not only provide insight into Xiao Yao’s relationship dynamics but also serve as metaphors for when she took the initiative to fight for these relationships. With Jing, Xiao Yao took the initiative to fight for their relationship by seducing Hou to trap Hou and Fang Feng Yi Ying. Her actions further tarnished her already damaged reputation after the marriage robbery. However, Jing did nothing to stop her, allowing her to resolve his problems using her methodology. This metaphorically "opened the window" for Jing and Xiao Yao to be together.

The three times that Xiao Yao opened the window while staying with Xiang Liu in Qing Shui Town after the marriage robbery represent the times she took the initiative to try to be with Xiang Liu, hoping he would accept her plea and take her away. The first time Xiao Yao opened the window was when she sent Xiang Liu the crystal globe and waited for him by Dragon Bone Prison for seven days, hoping he would come and tell her, “Beneath your feet is the sea,” as he had done so many years ago. This time, she was ready to jump into the sea to be with him, leaving her family, friends, and royal identity behind. Xiang Liu closed the window by not responding to her confession, destroying her reputation by forcing her to run away with him on her wedding day, and killing off his Fang Feng Bei identity.

The second time Xiao Yao opened the window for Xiang Liu was right after she said her vows to the moon and received a message with Jing’s voice telling her to immediately go to the East Sea without telling anyone. Xiao Yao knew this was an obvious trap, but she also knew that the East Sea was like Xiang Liu’s home. Xiao Yao rushed to the East Sea in her wedding dress because she was desperate to see Xiang Liu, knowing he would come to save her if she was in danger. After Xiang Liu saved her, she desperately clung to him, not letting him go. This time, Xiang Liu closed the window by proposing she find a way to break their PLB connection because he wasn’t interested in dying with her. After killing her assailant and ensuring Xiao Yao was safe, Xiang Liu left, leaving her to stare for a long time in the direction he had disappeared.

The third and final time Xiao Yao opened the window for Xiang Liu was when she poisoned herself after discovering that Cang Xuan had betrayed her. After confronting Cang Xuan and learning he was involved in Jing’s disappearance, she tried to shoot him with her bow and arrow. This led her grandfather to place her under house arrest. At this point, Xiao Yao felt she had nothing left to lose, so she poisoned herself to break free from her imprisonment, as revenge against Cang Xuan, and to make one last attempt to be with Xiang Liu.

Xiang Liu had long anticipated Xiao Yao’s reaction when she learned the truth about Cang Xuan’s betrayal, so he covered the shell that had been their home in blood curses to extend her life and gave it to A Nian to deliver to Xiao Yao when the time came. After Xiang Liu saved Xiao Yao’s life, he closed the window for the final time and sealed it with his spiritual powers by erasing Xiao Yao’s recorded memories of him in her Gorilla Beast Mirror, using his own lives to lure and kill the Poisonous Lovers’ Bugs, and destroying the shell that had been their home for thirty-seven years under the sea. Shortly after, he died for loyalty and righteousness on the battlefield, according to his wishes. The window could never be opened again.

I was rewatching part of episode 37 and realized something about XY and FFB/XL's outfits. XY and FFB each wore appropriately grand outfits to Cang Xuan's first wedding. 

It looked like XY's outfit had an elaborate cut and elaborate embroidery and had a mix of sea foam blue, azure blue, and silver colouring with a matching silver and jade headpiece and silver and jade earings. The earings vaguely had the shape of butterflies. XY's hair was also fully up in a formal style. 

FFB wore a sheer white (mostly transparent) outer layer over a dark red outer robe with silver embrodery along with white and pink under robes and a silver hair crown (if there's a better word for those, I'm forgetting it) and silver hair pin. 

Even though it's a dark red, it seems rather audacious for FFB to be wearing any shade of red to Cang Xuan's wedding. I noticed that Ah Nian also wore a mix of pink, red and white. Perhaps the wardrobe department chose those colours to emphasize Ah Nian's wish that she was the one marrying Cang Xuan instead of Miss Shen? Although her outfit is mainly pink, which feels less audacious than FFB's mostly red outfit. Xing Yue also wears pink. I do wonder what the rationale was for putting FFB in red, white, and pink. 

Anyway, XY and FFB are both still wearing those outfits when they meet and speak after the wedding when FFB/XL offers to take XY away: https://youtu.be/Wiy3qk44hak?si=2LDtAlK_BtZ1pAzC&t=1140

However, unlike in the novel, by the time they are together on Miao Qiu and flying over the ocean, they've changed into different outfits: https://youtu.be/Wiy3qk44hak?si=qm_rim_-ZISyahaI&t=1235

FFB/XL's hair style, hair accessories, and hair colour remains the same (as they discuss), but his robes are now all white and XY is wearing light purple robes with simpler accessories. Her hair is in a different style (half down, so more relaxed) and her hair accessories are more colourful. Her earrings no longer resemble butterflies, but her hair accessories include vaguely butterfly-shaped clips. 

I'm curious to know what thoughts informed the wardrobe choices, since a lot of thought was clearly put into these outfits. At the very least, I guess they felt that XY and XL/FFB shouldn't have to wear their formal, stuffy and uncomfortable wedding guest clothes for their ocean date. Especially since it's supposed to remind XY of their earlier days that felt like they happened a lifetime ago. 

solarlunareclipse:
The Window Metaphor

blabla100 and I discussed this back in December with somewhat similar thoughts. 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2903759&page=419#p2903759

blabla100:
Also that scene in QSTown when she kept opening the window, while XL kept closing it, I interpret that as an analogy for her trying, while him not allowing it.

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2907271&page=427#p2907271

AH :
That's interesting. I always thought that this scene (when XL forces the window closed so that XY won't get sick from the cold, even though XY clearly wants the window open) was intentionally juxtaposed with the window scene in the next chapter (when TSJ wants to close the window for the same reason, but XY forbids him from doing so, so he closes the window most of the way so it is only barely open and then gets her a hot cup of tea and a heater as a further set of measures to keep XY warm without disobeying her order) to show how XL and TSJ each handle circumstances where XY wants to do something that could harm her, and XL and TSJ want to protect her from the potential harms of that choice. Just as they did when they interfered with her wedding to Feng Long. 

AH :
But I can also see how that interaction (XL closing the window and XY opening it, XL closing it again and XY opening it again, until XL finally forces the window closed) could be seen as a metaphor for their relationship, with XL ultimately forcing XY to cut ties with him. The ending that he thought was best for her in the circumstances.

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2907805&page=430#p2907805

blabla100:
For sure those 2 scenes are related, I interpret the window as a metaphor for "hope". XY kept trying to have that window open, while XL kept closing it. His answer after he had that window forcibly closed was "What kind of person I am, you’ve known all along.” - (it's similar to his answer from chapter 29"  “Every word he said is the truth. I’m not a guy suitable for a woman to follow. Isn’t that something you already know?”) which  again, points to the beach scene, when she told him that she is afraid to let him in her dreams, because he is not suitable to ever enter into a girl's dream, so closing the window was his way to remembered her yet again that and pushed her to let go already. After she accepted that there is no hope  for her and XL to be, she met with tianer who restored some of her hopes în Jing. Jing's window though, even though at that point wasn't open wide, giving the circumstances, can be described as open, because Jing did make a compromise with her, Jing was still open to fight for them, unlike XL, who was the dominant one between them. Also, în XY-XL's relationship, she was the giver, while în XY-Jing's relationship, she was the taker. She kept sending XL poisons every 3 months the same way and for the same reason Jing sent her wine every 15 days, as a reminder of one's feelings. 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2909563&page=434#p2909563

AH :
In addition to acting as a metaphor for how XL and TSJ act when they want to protect XY from the consequences of a choice she makes that will likely hurt her, I agree that there is a second metaphor like the one you described. I agree with the gist of what you said, but view the details slightly differently.

Similar to "hope", I feel like the window could be a metaphor for the possibility of a romantic relationship. Closing the window could represent closing the possibility of a relationship / pushing XY away / letting her go (despite continuing to love her) for her own good. Opening the window could represent saying or doing something to try to re-open the possibility of a relationship.

In chapter 32, XL completely closes the window repeatedly and firmly, despite the fact that XY obviously wants it open. He also pushes XY away (towards TSJ) repeatedly and firmly, despite the fact that XY obviously has feelings for him. XY opens the window again repeatedly, only for XL to immediately close the window again. When XY says or does things that might re-open the possibility of a romantic relationship between them (like sending him the ice crystal ball), XL quickly acts to shut it down.

In the end of the window scene in chapter 32, XL uses his powers to shut the window permanently, and makes it impossible for XY to re-open the window. When XY is infuriated by this, XL tells her she's always known who he is. Throughout chapter 32, XL's behaviour is designed to push XY away, and at the end of the chapter he threatens her and uses his power to make her experience excruciating pain before telling her to go to TSJ (ostensibly to confirm that he hired XL to ruin the wedding, but really to begin rekindling their relationship). It's a drastic measure. And at the end of the novel, XL forces XY to cut ties with him, kills the bugs connecting them, and chooses to die on the battlefield with the remnant army. He permanently closes the possibility of a romantic relationship between them, and XY can't do anything about it. She is furious with him in chapter 46 and in her grief she yells that she hates him for his choice in chapter 51, but she also recalls that she knew from the beginning that he was CX's enemy and also that he told her that, to a general, death on the battlefield was the best ending.  

In chapter 33, TSJ wants to close the window for XY's own good, but does not have the resolve to do so fully after XY yells "don't you dare!". So he leaves the window slightly open. Throughout the drama, there are times when TSJ knows that he should give XY up for her own good but is not able to do so completely (e.g., in chapter 22, when he is still engaged to FFYY, he tells XY that he knows FFB is more suitable for her and apologizes for not being able to let her go). XY wants to lose her temper with TSJ when he mostly closes the window in chapter 33, but finds that she can't. 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/110123-xl-and-xy-story-and-romance-warning-spoilers?pid=2909673&page=435#p2909673

blabla100:
that's exactly how I interpret the metaphor behind it too. 
 solarlunareclipse:
The second time Xiao Yao opened the window for Xiang Liu was right after she said her vows to the moon and received a message with Jing’s voice telling her to immediately go to the East Sea without telling anyone. Xiao Yao knew this was an obvious trap, but she also knew that the East Sea was like Xiang Liu’s home. Xiao Yao rushed to the East Sea in her wedding dress because she was desperate to see Xiang Liu, knowing he would come to save her if she was in danger.

To me, this interpretation seems both illogical and directly contradicted by XY's thoughts (and words and actions) in the novel. 

This interpretation suggests that XY went to the East Sea because she was hoping she would be put in danger and that XL would then show up and save her. But XY is clearly focused on finding TSJ at first, and when the seagull demon finally confirms that he is dead, XY only feels sadness because her hopes are dashed. She concludes that she doesn't want to continue being strong and doesn't want to face a long life ahead. If TSJ is dead and his body is somewhere in the ocean, then she would prefer to die and join him there. This is the opposite of what she should be thinking and feeling if the interpretation above were accurate (i.e., if she actually wanted this all to be a trap designed to put her in danger because she expected that XL would then show up to save her). 

When the coffin sinks, there are clearly several instances where XY expects to die (i.e., she doesn't expect XL to show up and save her) unless she does something to save herself. At first she is okay with dying, but after she thinks of the consequences that Miao Pu would face she tries to save herself. Again, she clearly isn't assuming that XL is about to show up to save her immenently. When XL actually does show up at the last second to save her, XY is dumbfounded. This does not seem like something that XY expected / was aiming for all along. 

Later on the beach, XY asks XL if he has seen TSJ. When XL coldly implies that he has not, XY cries. 

When XL states that the price for XL helping XY to find Miao Pu is XY agreeing to live even if TSJ is dead, XY is shocked and doesn't understand why XL cares about whether she lives or dies. This doesn't seem like the reaction of someone who assumes that XL will always show up to save her when her life is in danger. She even seems to have forgotten (until XL reminds her) that, due to the Lovers' Bug connection between them, XL will presumably die if she dies. Then she thinks to herself (so it's not a lie that she says outloud to mislead someone else) that she really needs to find a solution to break the Lovers' Bug connection between them. 

There's nothing wrong with reading between the lines, but IMO it starts to verge on self deception if the in-between-the-lines reading ends up leading to a conclusion that is directly contradicted by the lines themselves. 

-----

Chapter 43:

“I heard Jing tell me to immediately go to the East Sea and tell no one.”

Miao Pu gasped. “What? The voice inside the message jewel was the Tu Shan Clan Leader? What did he say?”

“To go to the East Sea, and to tell no one.”

Miao Pu thought about it. “If he can say those words why can’t he explain more? It’s easy to find someone to impersonate his voice, but those closest to him will see through it if a lot is said. The less is said the more the ruse will work. I think this sounds fishy, my lady let’s go back!”

“Perhaps you are right but it could have been an urgent situation and he could only say such curt phrases. Miao Pu, do you know, even if there is a miniscule chance or even a trap, I have to immediately go.”

Miao Pu sighed and urged the horses faster. Even if this was a trap, the person setting it was ruthless and found the one way to get Xiao Yao to follow instructions. Miao Pu silently prayed for the miniscule chance to come true.

Xiao Yao was swimming under the ship taking things in when a woman in purple laying on the edge lifted her head. “If you want to see Tu Shan Jing then get on the ship.”

The woman in purple handed a bowl of wine to Xiao Yao with a laugh. “I’ve heard you are well versed in medicines so I don’t dare to use poison in front of you. This is just a bowl of wine made from the red jade plant. Humans who drink it will sleep for three hundred years, at most it’ll make a god weak in the limbs and dizzy and a good sleep will shake it off. It’s not a poison or will render you unconscious, therefore it doesn’t have an antidote either. After you drink it I will take you to see Tu Shan Jing.”

Xiao Yao picked up the bowl and sniffed, it really was red jade plant wine. Drinking too much would make it addictive, but one drink wouldn’t harm the body.

The purple robed woman said, “I never force anyone, if you don’t want to drink then go back!”

Xiao Yao raised her head and gulped it down. “Where is Jing?”

“I always fulfill my promises!” The woman started moving the ship into the deeper reaches of the ocean.

The ship moved swiftly over the water and Xiao Yao could hear the wind whistling around her as her limbs weakened so she laid down on the deck and stared up at the sky.

The ship stopped in the middle of the ocean nowhere, with no land in sight in any direction. The woman walked over and picked up Xiao Yao to place her inside a crystal coffin.

Xiao Yao weakly asked, “What are you doing?”

The woman took out the scrap of song lyric and burned it, then took Xiao Yao’s amethyst fish ruby and shattered it completely, turning it into purple light.

Tears fell from Xiao Yao’s eyes. “Where’s Jing?”

The purple robed woman leaned on the coffin with a smile “Tu Shan Jing is dead! I’m fulfilling my promise now to send you to see him! This ship is taking in water now and soon will completely sink into the ocean. I’m just a hired killer and doing my job. The person who hired me gave specific instructions – no hint of blood and you have to disappear completely without a trace, not even a hair to be found. I thought all night about it and remembered this area in the ocean and how scary it is and came up with this plan.”

Xiao Yao stared at the sky and didn’t feel any rage at being lied to, or fear at imminent death. Only the sadness of having her hopes dashed. Since childhood she had lived a hard life, her heart always drifting, feeling like she would be abandoned at any time. Only after her engagement to Jing did her heart settle down, thinking that things would finally change. Who could have foreseen that Jing would leave her? Even if it was just like her parents with a reason that couldn’t be helped. But she was still abandoned again, and she didn’t want to keep being strong anymore to face a long life ahead. If Jing slept in this ocean, then she would rather be here with him.

The purple robed woman noticed that Xiao Yao was oddly at peace, not like people she killed in the past, and felt some pity for her. 

The crystal coffin slowly sank into the water.

Xiao Yao felt suffocated and couldn’t breathe, until the water seeped into the coffin and she could breathe like a fish returning to the water. Xiao Yao laughed wryly as she thought about this plan and how perfect it was, to kill her with no bloodshed and hidden in the depths of the ocean. Except the plan wasn’t perfect because no one knew that Xiao Yao couldn’t drown.

Because she drank the red jade plant wine, Xiao Yao was woozy and found it hard to think. As the coffin sank she thought she was going to die as well and was calmly facing death, except now she wasn’t going to die and felt like a free falling entity that couldn’t find an end to the fall.

Xiao Yao laid in the crystal coffin and looked at the fishes swimming around her. She tapped on the coffin and asked, “Have you guys seen Jing?”

The fishes were startled and swam off. Xiao Yao could only lay in the crystal coffin zoned out.

The sun set outside and gradually the water turned dark, as dark as ink. Many fishes glowed in the dark so the water was like a night sky filled with shooting stars. She wondered if Xiao Xiao arrived, whether Zhuan Xu was looking for her, if Miao Pu was crying. Xiao Yao suddenly remembered how angry Zhuan Xu would be, and what if he killed Miao Pu? Xiao Yao stopped laying there to enjoy the view and started to try and get out. But no matter how hard she pushed she couldn’t open the coffin.

Xiao Yao tried so hard to open the coffin but it wouldn’t budge, until she was all tired out and hungry. She suddenly realized that she might end up dying after all, not of drowning but of hunger. Xiao Yao rested for a bit before continuing to try and open the coffin.

Suddenly her instinct sensed danger. She looked around and there wasn’t a fish in sight, the colorful underwater was now pitch black. Xiao Yao felt the entire ocean shaking and she remembered the seagull demon saying how scary the ocean was under here. She suddenly remembered what Xiang Liu said before, that after he escaped from the slave death match ring, he almost died in an underwater tornado called a whirlpool. Xiang Liu may not have been that powerful then but something that almost killed him must really be super scary.

Xiao Yao had never seen a whirlpool before but if it was like a tornado on land then anything it passed would be obliterated. This really was the perfect way to ensure not a hair of Xiao Yao was left behind.

Xiao Yao tried to bust out of the coffin but it still didn’t move, making her understand why the seagull demon took that extra step of sealing her inside the coffin.

The water churned around her and the coffin was swept up in the waves of the whirlpool, with Xiao Yao getting spun around so hard she was seeing stars.

She could hear the coffin getting crunched and now she prayed for the coffin to stay intact. If the whirlpool was so powerful as to shatter the immovable crystal coffin, then the second the coffin broke Xiao Yao would be crushed to oblivion.

As the water churned faster and faster, the power of the whirlpool increased and in a resounding crack the coffin shattered. Xiao Yao screamed and closed her eyes, but then didn’t experience the pain of being smashed to smithereens.

Xiao Yao slowly opened her eyes and in the whirling inferno she saw Xiang Liu, white hair white robe, standing right in front of her. His hair was fanned out like the wings of a bird and was protecting Xiao Yao by forming a barrier between her and the whirlpool.

Xiao Yao felt like this was a dream and stared dumbfounded at Xiang Liu. 

Xiang Liu asked, “Why were you imprisoned in the ocean?”

“Someone wanted to kill me.”

Xiang Liu stared in disgust at Xiao Yao. “Someone wanted to kill you, so you let yourself get imprisoned?”

Xiao Yao stared at the fire and said nothing.

Xiang Liu pressed on. “Why didn’t you fight back?”

Xiao Yao said in a low voice, “Jing……disappeared.” She suddenly remembered and anxiously asked, “The East Sea is like your home. You….you….have you seen Jing?

Xiang Liu mockingly said, “Do you think I spend my time hanging in the ocean just waiting to rescue people?”

“No….I just thought….Qing Shui Town is also your territory of sorts, perhaps you noticed Tu Shan Hou’s activities. The East Sea may be big but you’re a sea demon….so maybe…..

Xiang Liu coldly replied, “There aren’t that many maybes!”

Xiao Yao lowered her head and her tears came down silently.

Xiang Liu said, “I happen to have free time, I can accompany you to go look for Miao Pu.”

“When did you become so nice?”

“Of course there is a price.”

“I only have one head, so I can't outthink your nine heads. I don’t think this deal is going to be good.”

Xiang Liu vaulted into the ocean without a care about Xiao Yao’s reverse psychology negotiating tactics. Xiao Yao anxiously jumped into the ocean after him and grabbed a lock of his flowing white hair.

Xiang Liu turned around and glared at her, so Xiao Yao let go with a smile. “You help me find the seagull demon and I agree to your price.” The seagull demon chose to let the whirlpool swallow her up forever, clearly she knew this ocean expanse very well. Only with Xiang Liu’s help could Xiao Yao hope to find her quickly.

Xiang Liu rose up from the ocean to stand on the waves. His white hair like the clouds, his white robe like the snow, the silver moonlight made him look even more noble and ethereal, except his expression looking down at Xiao Yao was filled with an evil smirk. “Any price I want?”

Xiao Yao stood up on the waves and raised her chin to look at Xiang Liu. “As long as it has nothing to do with Zhuan Xu, then any price is fine!” For Miao Pu, even if she had to make a real deal with the devil she would do it. At this point what else did she have left to lose?

Xiang Liu said, “The price is for you to stay alive. Even if Tu Shan Jing is really dead, you have to stay alive!”

Xiao Yao stared dumbstruck at Xiang Liu before her eyes went beyond him to stare at the limitless ocean horizon. A life that was long, a longing that had no end in sight……if she didn’t give up and stayed alive, what would that feel like? Probably like a dark night with no sunrise. Xiao Yao didn’t understand why Xiang Liu cared about her life or death.

Xiang Liu coldly said, “I just don’t have any interest in dying with you. If you want to give up, then first find the way to break the voodoo bug link.”

Right! Her life was connected to Xiang Liu. She really did need to find the solution to break the spell. Xiao Yao said, “I accept your price, so take me to find the seagull demon!”

"The first is making poisons for you. I can still do it now but after….I’m married I will no longer help you make poisons.”

That raises the question of what does making poisons for XL meant for XY, if she thought that it's improper to keep making them after she's married. She never thought it's not ok to make them because of CX, but now, because she is getting married she finds it improper to keep making them anymore. 

"The Yellow Emperor saw what Xiao Yao had made and he was so taken aback. He walked into the hut and carefully examined it for a long time. He said nothing other than to sigh “Only you will waste such precious things.”

Xiao Yao stared at the ice crystal ball and said “This is the last time.”

Of course, this is the last time is not to be interpreted only in the literal sense, her last poison to him, but it's also her last token of love for him and her last try to get a response from him, before getting married and supress all of her feelings and hopes. She can't make poisons for XL once she gets married, but neither can't marry Jing before finishing her medical books. It took her a lot of time to get over it and turn the false into real. Altought giving that she didn't have a wedding night with jing, I don't believe she got there yet. 

I rewatched season 1 these days and I am kinda disappointed. I think what bothers me the most is some of Yang Zi's reactions towards XL and the fact that some of their scenes were minimalised. I knew that the drama XY will not get to know the requirements of the lovers bugs, but she doesn't even get to know their name, like really? I can totally understand why some XL's fans are pissed. The pool scene from chapter 19 was totally deleted, they made XY sing the ballad to Jing 3 times already, in the novel there was no mention of jing during their 37 years underwater, yet in the drama XY mentioned him twice, they made XY faint during their bedroom scene as if to look that that's the reason why she got to sleep in the same bed with XL and not because she was so familiar with him that she didn't find it improper and so many different things.

The chemistry is there, but IMO they made Jing's relationship stronger than it is in the novel and XL's relationship weaker. And that's just the first season, the second one for sure is worse. I am quite surprised that they kept XY's reply to CX after she vomited blood, when she told him that she is not crying because of Jing, since I personally belive her sadness was also because of Bei putting a stop to their archery lessons a few days earlier too. 

@AH

"When the coffin sinks, there are clearly several instances where XY expects to die (i.e., she doesn't expect XL to show up and save her) unless she does something to save herself. At first she is okay with dying, but after she thinks of the consequences that Miao Piu would face she tries to save herself. "

I personally don't believe she tries to get out of there because of Miao Pu, more like making use of Miao Pu's situation as to give herself an excuse to fight back. She would have saved herself anyway, because she wanted to live, if not, than I guess Miao Pu was really more important to her than Jing. She uses Miao Pu twice, once for "saving" herself and not dying for Jing and the second time when she tells XL that she is willing to do ANY deal with him as long as he helps her finding her. What deal did she hope for, I wonder. 

AH :
I'm curious to know what thoughts informed the wardrobe choices, since a lot of thought was clearly put into these outfits. At the very least, I guess they felt that XY and XL/FFB shouldn't have to wear their formal, stuffy and uncomfortable wedding guest clothes for their ocean date. Especially since it's supposed to remind XY of their earlier days that felt like they happened a lifetime ago. 

I have noticed the outfit changes in that scene too, which I initially thought might have been a production oversight in ensuring continuity. However, as I thought about it, I think it serves more to differentiate between Xiang Liu and Fangfeng Bei mode, particularly since his hair remains dyed. Not to mention the aesthetics of Xiao Yao's formal robes and swept up hairdo probably would not work as well in an underwater setting compared to the more flowy outfit and let down hairdo she changed into later. 

The drama is quite different from the novel in terms of how Fangfeng Bei is portrayed. In the novel, he is usually described as richly dressed (锦衣玉冠 , literally brocade clothes, jade crown), with no added details in terms of colour. However, after the 37 years under the ocean, the book specifically describes him as dressed in white, which I see as an allusion to his gradual transition out of the mortal realm back to purely Xiang Liu:

Fangfeng Bei, wearing a white brocade robe, was standing there with a lazy smile.

-- Vol 2 Ch9  (Chapter 26), Cang Xuan's wedding

With a smile, Xiao Yao curtsied to Xiang Liu then turned to knock on the door. The door creaked open and Xiao Yao stepped inside. When she turned around, Xiang Liu was still standing outside, white robed black hair, extremely refined and elegant, yet like the white waters and black mountains of the North, even when the mountain flowers were in full bloom, there was a lingering sense of desolation.

-- Vol 2 Ch12  (Chapter 29), reluctant parting at Little Yan Zhuan's residence

Everyone turned their heads and saw Fangfeng Bei dressed in white walking in from outside calling out in a strong voice, “Xiao Yao, don’t marry him.”

-- Vol 2 Ch15  (Chapter 32), Xiao Yao's wedding to Feng Long

The drama is not as consistent. While Fangfeng Bei is usually dressed in varying shades of red (maroon, pink) - an allusion to him being a part of the mortal realm - we too have seen him in beige and green (e.g. when he forgets his money and later brings her to buy her bow). There is never a time Fangfeng Bei is dressed all in white when mingling in social circles. 

As for the three scenes above where the book specifically described him as wearing white, the drama handles this differently:

Cang Xuan's wedding - he is dressed first in maroon, but when they leave for the sea, he switches back to Xiang Liu's white outfit as he reclaims his Xiang Liu persona. 

Outside Little Yan Zhuan's residence (S2) - he is dressed in the same beige and green outfit he wore when he forgot his money. 

Taking Xiao Yao away from her wedding (S2) - white and pink robe. Is this to symbolise his departure from the mortal realm, with Fangfeng Bei's death

blabla100:
I personally don't believe she tries to get out of there because of Miao Pu, more like making use of Miao Pu's situation as to give herself an excuse to fight back. She would have saved herself anyway, because she wanted to live, if not, than I guess Miao Pu was really more important to her than Jing. She uses Miao Pu twice, once for "saving" herself and not dying for Jing and the second time when she tells XL that she is willing to do ANY deal with him as long as he helps her finding her. What deal did she hope for, I wonder. 

I don't see any reason why XY would need an excuse to fight for her own life.

XY was peaceful and relaxed in the sinking coffin even when she thought she was about to die and nearly suffocated (before water filled the coffin, allowing her to breathe again). She didn't do anything to try to save herself at that piont. So I disagree that she was always going to save herself and simply found an excuse to fight for her own life. She only starts to fight to free herself after thinking of the consequences that Miao Pu might face because of her. 

As for the idea that if XY really chose to fight to live in order to protect Miao Pu, then that must mean that Miao Pu was more important to XY than TSJ, I also disagree with that conclusion. Tong Hua uses XY's thoughts to tell us why she is willing to die. Her reason wasn't exactly that TSJ was more important than anyone else (e.g., XL, CX, her other family members) and so she wanted to be with him in death more than she wanted to be with anyone else in life. Instead, her reason was that she wasn't willing to continue being strong and to face a long life alone after being abandoned once again, so she prefered to die and to join TSJ in death in the ocean. She was giving up. Until she remembered that Miao Pu might face terrible consequences from CX if she died, and she didn't want anything bad to happen to Maio Pu, especially because of her. So that gave XY a reason to try to be strong and to fight to keep living at least a little longer. Not because Miao Pu was more important to her than TSJ, but because she couldn't allow herself to give up completely until she knew that Miao Pu wouldn't be killed as a consequence of her own actions. 

liddi:
Outside Little Yan Zhuan's residence (S2) - he is dressed in the same beige and green outfit he wore when he forgot his money. 

liddi:
With a smile, Xiao Yao curtsied to Xiang Liu then turned to knock on the door. The door creaked open and Xiao Yao stepped inside. When she turned around, Xiang Liu was still standing outside, white robed black hair, extremely refined and elegant, yet like the white waters and black mountains of the North, even when the mountain flowers were in full bloom, there was a lingering sense of desolation.

In the novel this scene in front of Xiao Zhurong's residence was right after the scene in the donkey meat seller. Thus XL wore white outfit from the moment XY encountered FFB in the casino until they farewelled. 

However, I saw BTS scence (I think you can find it on youtube) where FFB and XY were in the donkey meat seller and TCJ was wearing purple/violet outfit. 

blabla100:
I rewatched season 1 these days and I am kinda disappointed. I think what bothers me the most is some of Yang Zi's reactions towards XL and the fact that some of their scenes were minimalised. I knew that the drama XY will not get to know the requirements of the lovers bugs, but she doesn't even get to know their name, like really? I can totally understand why some XL's fans are pissed. The pool scene from chapter 19 was totally deleted, they made XY sing the ballad to Jing 3 times already, in the novel there was no mention of jing during their 37 years underwater, yet in the drama XY mentioned him twice, they made XY faint during their bedroom scene as if to look that that's the reason why she got to sleep in the same bed with XL and not because she was so familiar with him that she didn't find it improper and so many different things.

The chemistry is there, but IMO they made Jing's relationship stronger than it is in the novel and XL's relationship weaker. And that's just the first season, the second one for sure is worse.

I agree with all of this.

liddi:
I think it serves more to differentiate between Xiang Liu and Fangfeng Bei mode, particularly since his hair remains dyed. Not to mention the aesthetics of Xiao Yao's formal robes and swept up hairdo probably would not work as well in an underwater setting compared to the more flowy outfit and let down hairdo she changed into later. 

Agreed.

liddi:
However, after the 37 years under the ocean, the book specifically describes him as dressed in white, which I see as an allusion to his gradual transition out of the mortal realm back to purely Xiang Liu:

liddi:
Taking Xiao Yao away from her wedding (S2) - white and pink robe. Is this to symbolise his departure from the mortal realm, with Fangfeng Bei's death

Interesting observations!

H19279:
In the novel this scene in front of Xiao Zhurong's residence was right after the scene in the donkey meat seller. Thus XL wore white outfit from the moment XY encountered FFB in the casino until they farewelled. 

The screenshot I shared is of her asking whom she should marry if not Feng Long, which is from the trailer. Based on the leaked script (and the novel), this happens after their visit to the Lirong donkey meat seller, and ends up with him escorting her back to Little Yan Zhuan's residence. As such, the beige and green outfit should be the one that he wore from the gambling den to the Lirong donkey meat seller, back to Little Yan Zhuan's residence.

H19279:
However, I saw BTS scence (I think you can find it on youtube) where FFB and XY were in the donkey meat seller and TCJ was wearing purple/violet outfit. 

Can you please share the link of the BTS?