ZYHLJ:

By the way, I remember a funny conversation between fans I saw before. A girl asked, if Xiao Yao really married Xiang Liu, do you think he would wash the dishes? Then another girl replied: Let Mao Qiu wash. His shape and material are all suitable for the work, and he himself is clean after the washing, hahaha...

It is actually an interesting question. 

When TSJ was YSQ, he did all of his chores and all of WXL's chores, including washing dishes. The lack of balance wasn't healthy. He was acting as WXL's servant, not her partner. In the short term, it might feel like a thoughtful act. But in the long term it frequently left WXL with nothing to do but to laze about, slowly coming to expect and rely on YSQ's servitude. 

Would XL ever act like XY's servant, following her around and doing all of her chores in addition to his? I don't think he would, and I'm glad for it. Would he do his fair share of the work, even if it wasn't pleasant or dignified? From his self-discipline in the remnant army camp and his dedication to XY when he was FFB, I think he would. And in a healthier way without insisting on taking all of XY's chores all of the time too. I like to think that he would be more of a partner, with each contributing and neither of them creating unhealthy or unsustainable expectations that would inevitably be disappointed. 

When YSQ became TSJ, he no longer did any dish washing. It was all done by his servants. If XY had ended up marrying TSJ in chapter 42, I don't think he (or XY) would have washed the dishes in their marriage. 

When TSJ returned from being presumed dead, he was more like YSQ with no status, money or servants. When he married XY, one would hope that the dish washing duties would have been evenly distributed between them and that they had learned, by then, to be more like partners to each other. But when they left for the ocean, they brought Miao Pu (XY's maid) and Left Ear (XY's bodyguard) with them. I hope that Miao Pu would not have washed the majority of the dishes.

Haven't been around much, but I've been really enjoying the stories here!  Thank you so much ZYHLJ and plor20!

liddi:
Please don't be! Awful dramas need their audience too! Though you would be pleased to know that this time, I opted to watch the well-lauded C-adaptation of Three Body Problem (while concurrently reading the novel). So it's all good.

I haven't read the novels, but just finished watching both the Chinese and Netflix versions.

AH :
Ooh how are you liking it? I have a friend who wants to watch the netflix adaptation but I'm a bit hesitant. I'd be interested to know if the Cdrama version might be better.

The Cdrama version is better with 30 episodes for the first book.  The Netflix version has more humor (sort of) and gore and moves at a breakneck speed -- especially given it actually covers all of the 1st book and parts of the 2nd book -- in EIGHT episodes.

liddi:
I am enjoying the C-adaptation a lot thus far. I never read the books previously, so I am in a novel situation where I am reading the book alongside the drama viewing. Have not gotten very far yet (11 chapters, 3 episodes) but very keen to continue. I read great reviews about the C-adaptation, and not so complimentary ones about the Netflix version. What little I know of the Netflix synopsis indicates a focus that diverges from the source material, and having several characters representing an aspect of the original character, among other things. Still, I do intend to check out the Netflix version, but only after I have finished the C-version and the novel. Have you read the novel before?

I heard that the book jumps around more than the dramas, which is why it's always been considered hard to adapt to the screen.

I'm really not sure why Netflix changed what the did, character wise or location -- it didn't improve anything and diminished the main characters in the CDrama version, especially Ye Wen Jie.  There's only one character that's better in the Netflix version -- the leader of the planetary defense forces, who was given short shrift in the CDrama version.  Though the European actors in the Cdrama version were universally bad, which is usual.  

The Netflix version was not as creepy as the CDrama, nor did it have the awesome music.

nathsketch:
Go for the Cdrama. The Neftlix drama is very underwhelming, and, except for the veteran actors like Jonathan Pryce, Liam Cunningham, and Benedict Wong, for example, the acting is not the best. They changed a lot from the cdrama and the novel. I couldn't relate to any of the characters, most of them were extremely annoying and/or useless.

Also, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff. I said wouldn't ever trust them again after Game of Thrones, so my expectations were already low.

I agree.  Those three actors were awesome. 

AH :
I'm more inclined to try the C-drama. But she feels that only an adaptation produced outside of mainland China would faithfully adapt what happened to Ye Wenjie's father. We had family in China in '89 in the aftermath of Tiananmen Square and family that took in refuges who were blacklisted. So she's interested to see that part of the story without censorship interference. I did mention the GoT writers to her!

I can't say what is more realistic, but I felt the Cdrama was more effective to explain Ye Wen Jie's issues.  Netflix was brutal, but it was quick and accidental, and not quite as effective for me.  The Cdrama was Orwellian, and dragged out the effect of her father's downfall.  In the Netflix drama he goes out heroically, and in the Cdrama, it was humiliating and emasculating and said alot about the era / people, as well as impacted Ye Wen Jie more realistically.  Of course, others may feel the brutality of the Netflix version was more realistic.

AH :
I haven't. The plot / premise doesn't totally appeal to me, but if I watch a drama version and find it interesting I might check out the book too. I've heard that it's very well written and the translation is also really well done, with exactly the kind of explanatory footnotes I like. Although with so many versions and adaptations, it feels a little dangerous. So much content to potentially obsess over.

nathsketch:
Yes, this is very true. It's hard to watch but it is considerably closer to what really happened to those who were caught during the Cultural Revolution. So, she should probably watch the first ten minutes of the first episode.

Everything else is a far cry from the Cdrama, except maybe the VR equipment. It has a very cool design and it is much more practical than the one they used in the Chinese version. But with a budget of 20 million dollars per episode, some things would necessarily have to be better, even if only in the set design and props department :D

Yes, and fortunately it takes place at the beginning of the Netflix show.

I agree, the VR equipment was better in the Netflix version.  I'm kind of torn about the game.  The CGI game got old after a while and was used quite a bit.  The Netflix version didn't bother with CGI characters, which I liked better -- but I don't think it worked to convey the game idea as well.

liddi:
The novel covered Ye Wenjie's father's fate (and her mother and sister's accusations) in painful detail in Chapter 1. This has not happened yet in the Cdrama as of Ep3. Is it covered in the drama later? Would you say that it was watered down, or was the horror of the events just as well conveyed, without resorting to the portrayal of graphic violence?

The Cdrama boasts a very strong cast. Even if Yu Hewei is not what I envisioned Shi Qiang to be from the novel, Zhang Luyi embodies Wang Miao for me. What is your opinion of the casting and their performances? Do you feel that they remain true to the essence of the characters they portray?

I heard, I think on Avenue X, that Benedict Wong actually looks more like the book detective, though he didn't have as much to do.  I don't know if they matched the book, but I thought both of them did a great job in the CDrama.  They made a good pair with different personalities that played well off each other.

Ye Wen Jie's past is revealed in flashbacks that are spread throughout as flashbacks, revealed in layers, like an onion, as Wang Mio and Shi Qiang discover it or we as viewers need it to understand what is going on.  The actresses playing her, both in the past and present, are much better, than the Netflix actress, IMO.

liddi:
I can't speak to this as I have not watched the depiction of the Cultural Revolution in the drama yet. It doesn't follow the sequence in the novel, but I am given to understand it is covered, though I have no idea when. Sometimes I wonder whether an in-your-face portrayal of gratuitous violence is far more impactful than implications of the violence being left to the imagination. I personally dislike senseless depiction of violence simply for the shock factor which has become so prevalent in the media nowadays, but I concede that in some cases, it is necessary. Will see if the drama's portrayal is faithful to the novel's description when I get to the scene.

I'm not sure what is in the novel, but given this, I think you will like the CDrama version better.  It also ties into her relationships and actions at Red Coast Base, as there's a connection there also, which I'm not sure is in the book or not.  The reveal of the family betrayal is horrifyingly Orwellian.  And I think that plays into the overwhelming and oppressive dark vibe of the show.

AH :
My understanding is that the novel was originally published in Mandarin chapter by chapter, and the writer and his editors chose to move the release of the cultural revolution parts from the beginning to the middle of the story due to concerns of censorship. And the English translation moved those parts back to their originally intended spot at the beginning of the story. So maybe it would make sense that the non-Chinese adaptation would have that part at the beginning of the drama, and maybe the Chinese adaptation of the drama will cover it in some form in the middle the way it was covered in the source material?

To be honest, I was surprised that we got something that was negative about Chinese history.  I don't know enough about Chinese history to speak knowledgeably about this, but I think all of that and the Chinese setting works so much better for the encounter with the Trisolarians and their society, that Netflix's change to London just doesn't get.  I can't explain it clearly, but there's definitely a connection.

@HeadInTheClouds

If you are asking about the situation of a princess raising lover(s), it was normal in the era before the Song Dynasty. Since the rise of Zhu Xi's Neo-Confucianism in the Song Dynasty, people had paid more attention to ethics, so this situation had become rare. If you are asking about the situation of a princess never marrying for life. This is common in almost all periods. For example, in the Tang Dynasty, there were altogether 221 princesses, 82 of whom were never married. In the Song Dynasty, there were altogether 87 princesses, of which 57 were never married. If you're asking about the reluctance of wealthy families in China to marry off their daughters, this is true in almost any era, even now. In today's China, there are also "son-in-law"s, that is, the bride's family pays the bride's price to the groom(10,000 - 700,000 USD, need to return the majority if divorce), and the groom lives with the bride in her family. The children born to the bride in the future will bear the surname of the bride's family.

Yes, generally speaking, the status of a princess determines that her husband's family is unlikely to disrespect her, but there are still exceptions, such as her mother-in-law's character is very extreme, or the princess herself is not favored by the emperor, etc. But generally speaking, there is few situation where a princess is bullied by her husband's family. As for Xiao Yao's situation, I think one of the reasons is that the Tushan family itself is a big noble with a long history and has probably been related to the royal family by marriage for a long time. Even if the author sets that they don't need to kneel when they meet the emperor, it is still possible. But if they bully a princess like in the drama, it is indeed a risky behavior. But I guess firstly it’s because Jing’s grandma has lived to an age where she is not afraid of any revenge. Before she dies, she just wants to resolve this matter. Secondly, I think the grandma must have perceived that Xiao Yao’s character is that she will not avenge herself for this. Also, in ancient China, the status of the elderly was always higher. People of her age did not need to show humility to anyone.

@liddi

So your previous understanding was different. Actually I want to ask a question. You know that English is not my mother tongue, so I am worried that my expressions may not be accurate enough. Do you find any expressions in the story that mislead you? If so, please tell me, so I can change it :-)

Hahaha, I imagined Cang Xuan hitting Xiang Liu with a fly swatter. I felt funny and angry at the same time. How can you hit Baby Snake?! He is so cute! And his nine heads are all so cute!

@AH

Thinking of Xiang Liu's life in the military camp, you convinced me :-). I even thought that he might be able to do needlework, haha, and he might also be a bit mysophobic, which would make Xiao Yao who lives with him have to be more hygienic, hehehe...

Speaking of Xiao Yao and Jing going to folk life and taking Miao Pu with them, I also find it a bit strange. If she was going with them as a friend, who would live with their friend and her husband? She would probably still be their servant, and she needed to serve everything from that day on. Poor Miao Pu, she could have went on with comfortable life in the palace. Does anyone care about her thoughts?

Kokuto:

Haven't been around much, but I've been really enjoying the stories here!  Thank you so much ZYHLJ and plor20!

Thank you~ Come and play often! :-)

AH :
My understanding is that the novel was originally published in Mandarin chapter by chapter, and the writer and his editors chose to move the release of the cultural revolution parts from the beginning to the middle of the story due to concerns of censorship.

Ahh thank you for sharing this tidbit. That does make sense. The book covers flashbacks to Ye Wenjie's recollections of the past as narrated to Wang Miao, and I am waiting to catch up to the equivalent episodes in the drama, as well as when the Cultural Revolution is finally depicted.

AH :
Is TSZ helping these women?

Oh - that scenario didn't occur to me, which seems quite plausible too. 

AH :
I think this just goes to show that sometime's a reader's imagined explanation for canon events can be as good as, or even better than, the explanation that the author imagined. 

AH :
I could probably trace my love of bittersweet endings with great self-sacrifice to them. 

And now you have me wanting to check out these books too!

AH :
I'll have to check those authors out on goodreads! ^^

I have a soft spot for Louise Cooper because she used to chat with us fans on her messageboard and we were devastated when she passed away suddenly in 2009 from a brain aneurysm. Love many of her works, though some are too dark for me. The Time Master series (especially the Star Shadow trilogy), Infanta from the Indigo series, are among my favourites. Among her standalones, do try Louise Cooper's Sleep of Stone if you manage to get a copy. When it was first published, I cried buckets reading it right at the bookstore, and had to be dragged away by my friend, who was thoroughly disgusted by the spectacle I've made of myself!

Kokuto:
I heard that the book jumps around more than the dramas, which is why it's always been considered hard to adapt to the screen.

Kokuto:
Ye Wen Jie's past is revealed in flashbacks that are spread throughout as flashbacks, revealed in layers, like an onion, as Wang Mio and Shi Qiang discover it or we as viewers need it to understand what is going on.  The actresses playing her, both in the past and present, are much better, than the Netflix actress, IMO.

Thank you so much for sharing about the two versions of the adaptations. 14 chapters into the book and we are beginning to learn of the past through Ye Wenjie's recollections to Wang Miao, so I presume this is what you mean? In which case, it does sound like the Cdrama is following the narrative path of the novel pretty closely. The novel also interspaces between Wang Miao's predicament, and flashbacks into Ye Wenjie's past, and her narration to Wang Miao, so we do get switches between timelines. 

Kokuto:
I heard, I think on Avenue X, that Benedict Wong actually looks more like the book detective, though he didn't have as much to do.  I don't know if they matched the book, but I thought both of them did a great job in the CDrama.  They made a good pair with different personalities that played well off each other.

Yes, Benedict Wong certainly resembles Shi Qiang far more than Yu Hewei, but I love the dynamics between Yu Hewei's Shi Qiang and Zhang Luyi's Wang Miao, which is very reminiscent of the book. 

Kokuto:
I think you will like the CDrama version better.  It also ties into her relationships and actions at Red Coast Base, as there's a connection there also, which I'm not sure is in the book or not.  The reveal of the family betrayal is horrifyingly Orwellian.  And I think that plays into the overwhelming and oppressive dark vibe of the show.

The family betrayal was covered in the first chapter, so unless there is more that has yet to be revealed in the book, I presume this is what you mean? Thus far, we already learnt about the family betrayal, Bai Mulin and the significance of Silent Spring, that would lead to her decision with regards to Red Coast Base. I am waiting for it to be shown in the adaptation. Do you remember whether it was in the earlier episodes, or later?

The translated novel is apparently commissioned by the China Educational Publications Import and Export Corporation (CEPIEC). It is an excellent read and such a boon for which I am so thrilled because my level of Chinese literacy is such that I would never have been able to plough through the novel in Chinese without being stumped by the scientific terms. 

This is one drama that requires full attention, which is challenging for me, especially when real life demands come knocking at the door. Fingers crossed I get to continue soon.

ZYHLJ:
So your previous understanding was different. Actually I want to ask a question. You know that English is not my mother tongue, so I am worried that my expressions may not be accurate enough. Do you find any expressions in the story that mislead you? If so, please tell me, so I can change it :-)

I went to re-read the chapter, and I think it was open for interpretation either way. There is nothing wrong with your description. I think the way you worded the scene is just right, without needing to spell everything out. So don't worry about it!

ZYHLJ:
Hahaha, I imagined Cang Xuan hitting Xiang Liu with a fly swatter. I felt funny and angry at the same time. How can you hit Baby Snake?! He is so cute! And his nine heads are all so cute!

Don't worry - I'm sure Xiao Yao would never allow that to happen either, even if her own spiritual powers are no match for Cang Xuan's. Perhaps she can immobilise him with her special dose of medicines, and have the fly swatter deftly removed! 

AH :

@nathsketch this feels like a Ziqi-Boya zhiyin / 知音 / one-who-understands-music / on-the-same-wavelength moment. We thought of and linked to the same song!

Sorry, I'm only catching up on this thread today :"

Yes!! Oh! You went all the way back to Boya and Ziqi! Nice!!

AH :
I think this just goes to show that sometime's a reader's imagined explanation for canon events can be as good as, or even better than, the explanation that the author imagined. 

Thank you for the kind words. Nonetheless, regardless of text being open to interpretation, ultimately, the reader's interpretation should either be in line with the author's vision or have the author's stamp of approval, since the author is the creator of that [part of the] universe, and would know best what was intended to be conveyed. It is quite mind-boggling when we see fans so entrenched in their own interpretations to the extent of actually accusing authors of not knowing their own works.

AH :
It gave me closure to write it. I'm glad it gave you some too!

<3

liddi:
So realistically, it might make more sense for every oldest son to have the word Ping as part of their name, rather than their whole name. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your feedback. This was supposed to be a ridiculous situation and maybe perhaps, it could've benefited from a line of text from Maoqui's perspective about how absurd this was. Funny story is that....the Hmong also don't have this kind of tradition...This paragraph was inspired by a somewhat similar situation in my life. My husband I decided to give his birth name and his nickname to each of our sons as thier middle names...so it caused a funny situation where I can't call my sons by thier Hmong names because thier dad will answer. XD hahahaha....

AH :
That's an unexpected relationship. Is TSZ helping these women? Or being licentious?

Unfortunately, I didn't delve into TSZ life...so I don't have much to say about it. In my mind, I had imagine him having fulfillment issues-where he can have all kinds of luxuries, including the beauties of DaHuang.

liddi:
he is certainly much richer than that poorer than church mice nine-headed demon. And such a cool, and clearly effective method to convince Lao Ping to fall in with his plans!

I figured he would have more money than his poor master because he only have himself to worry about instead of thousands of hungry soldiers.

Chapter Six: The Emperor’s Decree

When the sun rose, the sounds of fire and chaos quieted down. However, the charred smell of burnt wood and debris remained, seeping into every corner of Maoqiu's bedroom. As Qingqiu recovered from the debacle of the night before, Fang Feng Wuming fell into a coma and lay in Maoqiu’s bedroom. Sitting across from Wuming, back straight and quietly at his small square dining table, Maoqiu watched until the break of dawn. Strangely, even though Wuming was seriously injured, there were no flesh wounds to tend to, leaving Maoqiu bewildered. Nevertheless, his demon instincts were certain that Wuming was the cause of the previous night's catastrophe. He didn’t know how long he could keep Wuming concealed, and since he was unsure of the extent of the danger, he also understood he needed to piece together a broad picture of the events to determine what he should do with Fang Feng Wuming.

When Lao Ping’s daughter arrived with his breakfast, Maoqiu refused her service before she could utter a word. Instead, he opened the door slightly and said, “Don't ask questions. The less you know, the better.” The daughter understood and merely nodded as Maoqiu quietly slipped her a note, closing the door again. For the past several years, Maoqiu had ensured that the connection between himself and Lao Ping’s family remained ambiguous, carefully masking it as that of a loyal tenant who frequented the inn. He couldn't involve Lao Ping but compromised with his conscience that he would ask them to keep their ears open for town gossip, which he deemed within the boundaries of their arrangements. In his message, he instructed Lao Ping to be vigilant and to keep notes of any strange news regarding the previous night's fires.

Before Maoqiu left, he pricked his finger and left a blood protection formation that would harm anyone attempting to enter while simultaneously transporting Wuming to him. After setting up his trap and double-checking that he hadn't made any mistakes in drawing the diagram, his worries finally eased, and he was able to leave the inn. The neighborhood was starting to busily try to go about their morning, with a looming feeling of anxiety.

After a painstaking walk, Maoqiu stood before the famous brothel where Feng Feng Bei had frequented when he was alive, a place where he pretended to indulge in frivolity, drink good wine, and enjoy the dances of DaHuang's beauties, where Fang Feng Bei actually gathered news and made arrangements for the Shennong army. However, what should have been a grand building was now just a half-burned structure, with the other half reduced to charred remains. Gray silk-like streams of smoke danced lightly among the debris. Stunned prostitutes with blackened faces sat in a row, holding each other, while bewildered servants moped around.

“Well, so much for gathering news,” Maoqiu pessimistically thought to himself. Soldiers were dispatched and on the lookout, while a fat, stunted inspector walked among the debris, delirious and disbelieving, wiping his forehead of sweat. Maoqiu could see the man was in over his head, and he was confident the man didn't earn his position through merit. Maoqiu didn't have time to wonder how much money the man’s family paid for his position when an old maid noticed him staring at the scene. “Did you hear? The gambling den by the old tailor shop also went up in flames.”

“I heard Tu Shan Zhen almost died last night,” another lady carrying a bucket of water chimed in, eager to share her gossip.

A townsfolk remarked in wonder, “What happened?” People's curiosity started to gather slowly again around Maoqiu when moments before his arrival, it had disbursed due to the inspector's arrival.

A horn sounded before anyone could add to the gossip. A pair of high-level officials, carrying a decree, approached the building. The nervous inspector bowed low and inquired how he could be of assistance. The official opened the letter and commanded, “The Black Emperor has ordered all able men to report to the nearest inspection office to be registered for disaster relief and restoration efforts by the end of the week. Men will be paid fifty pieces of gold a month. General Rou Sou will lead the investigation into the series of arsons. Anyone with information is encouraged to report it. Any information leading to the capture of the culprits, dead or alive, will be rewarded one thousand pieces of gold. Anyone withholding information or aiding and abetting the culprits will be put to death without trial.”

The last time Maoqiu saw the Black Emperor was during Master Xiang Liu's attempted assassination, which resulted in Feng Long's death. Even if the Black Emperor hadn't left the palace walls since Xiling Xiao Yao's disappearance, Maoqiu wasn't eager to see him again. Without hesitation, Maoqiu slowly sneaked away, heading back to the inn.

As Maoqiu began traveling as a merchant, he understood how the Tu Shan family controlled commerce throughout DaHuang, especially the illegal dealings of the Li Rong family, which significantly contributed to the Tu Shan clan's comfort. Burning the Li Rong family's business and an attempted assassination of Tu Shan Zhen only meant one thing—destabilization of the Central Plains' economy. What would Fang Feng Wuming gain from destabilizing Dahuang's financial hub? Whatever it was, the highest-ranking and capable general was now here to investigate. As Maoqiu crossed the inn's threshold, he had a strong desire to take Wuming out of the Central Plains and return to Jiuli.

When Maoqiu made his way to his room, Lao Ping’s son-in-law greeted him, “Welcome back, Master Yin. Would you like to have lunch today?” Maoqiu nodded, “Please send it to my room.” The son-in-law answered respectfully, “Yes, sir.”

Inside Maoqiu’s room, he noticed that Wuming was no longer on the bed. He lifted the bed curtain, baffled. Maoqiu's heart started to flutter wildly, wrecking his brain trying to figure out how Wuming, who could cause a fire disaster, had now disappeared too. Maybe if he had been more attentive to Wuming’s affairs, Maoqiu wouldn’t be in this predicament. A knock came at the door, and Maoqiu took a deep breath, cautiously saying, “Yes?”

“Master Yin, your lunch is ready,” the voice of Lao Ping’s daughter softly vibrated behind the door. Maoqiu politely opened the door. “Thanks for the hospitality, miss.” The woman set his food on the small table, carefully laying out a neatly white napkin next to the food. With a slight bow, Lao Ping’s daughter left. Before she closed the door, Lao Ping’s daughter smiled, “Master Yin, your azalea flowers, there seems to be a butterfly cocoon.”

“Cocoon?” Maoqiu looked at his flowers, puzzled, grabbed the pot of white azaleas from the window sill and sat in front of him at the small dining table. Maoqiu grab the white napkin, prick his finger, drenched it in his blood. Slowly, a message emerged from threads.

“Fires appeared across DaHuang. All Li Rong clan members combust into thin air. All records of slaves, debts are gone. Tu Shan Zhen was seriously injured. Fang Feng clan under house arrest. Fang Feng Wuming died with his mother. Great clans infighting, pointing fingers.”

After Maoqiu finished reading the letter, his blood burned it, and the threads on the napkin sizzled into thin air. Maoqiu sat quietly and pulled the azaleas closer to him. He observed the cocoon and noticed there were no spiritual powers; it looked like a normal butterfly cocoon. Yet, this morning there was an injured Wuming and no cocoon, and now there's no Wuming but there is a cocoon. With a deep sigh, Maoqiu contemplated with acceptance—Wuming had found a way to conceal himself and his spiritual powers.

Maoqiu was overcome with a sense of grief, and for the first time, an unexplainable yearning ached in his heart. He had been traveling alone for so many centuries because he didn’t want to have to deal with partings. Yet, quietly, this Wuming dared to creep into his heart, making a habit of companionship. Between Maoqiu instincts and Lao Ping’s letter, he has to figure out a way to get out of Qingqiu. With the army on high alert, Maoqiu cannot conjure up his condor form and fly away. He will have to trend the road toward Juili on foot. Even though security is high, Maoqiu's reputation as a traveling merchant, whose jewelry, has been sought by princesses, he could easily slip by. With Wuming carefully concealed, Maoqiu prepares to leave before nightfall.