The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a 2011 English-language drama/thriller film directed by David Fincher, adapted from Stieg Larsson's Swedish-language novel of the same name by Steven Zaillian.
The film stars Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist and Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander and tells the story of a man's mission to find out what has happened to a girl who has been missing for 40 years, and who may have been murdered.

CAST

Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist
Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander
Christopher Plummer as Henrik Vanger
Stellan Skarsgård as Martin Vanger
Robin Wright as Erika Berger
Steven Berkoff as Dirch Frode
Geraldine James as Cecilia Vanger
Yorick van Wageningen as Nils Bjurman
Joely Richardson as Anita Vanger
Goran Vi?njić as Dragan Armansky
Donald Sumpter as Detective Morell
Embeth Davidtz as Annika Giannini
Joel Kinnaman as Christer Malm
Elodie Yung as Miriam Wu
Tony Way as Plague
Alan Dale as Detective Isaksson
Julian Sands as Young Henrik Vanger
David Dencik as Young Morell
Fredrik Dolk as Wennerström's Lawyer

I saw this movie Friday and it was amazing. I now want to watch all three original Swedish movies adapted from the three books by Stieg Larsson. So good! I recommend this highly. It is intense but very well done.
Also this movie has the most incredible opening credit montage of any movie I have ever seen. It blew me away. I'd see it again just for the opening... well, okay maybe not but still.
I have been meaning to watch this ...is this the first in the trilogy...?
I have the book but I haven't had time to finish it, I plan on watching the movie after I do (:
RainFlower wrote: I have been meaning to watch this ...is this the first in the trilogy...?

It is and the sequels are in the works for the American films. But..The three original Swedish films are already filmed, released and on DVD. The Girl w/The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played W/Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.
I've wanted to read the books for a while but I've never quite understood what they're about. Care to enlighten me, anyone?
beca256 wrote: I've wanted to read the books for a while but I've never quite understood what they're about. Care to enlighten me, anyone?

I haven't read the books either but I just watched the movie and from what I understand, at the core, each is a mystery to solve but also wrapped in character study of Lisbeth Salander and possibly a love story too. I hear the books are great. I have some friends who have read/are reading them and they are on my back to start reading them as well.
Haha First I need to read the books, then watch the original movies, then watch this. (hahaha that's a long to-do list)
I've read the book and watched this movie. I also saw the Swedish adaptation a while ago on Netflix. I think the others might be there as well. I plan to read the next book and then watch the movies, etc. I love being able to read a book and then watching a movie it's based on! I thought they did a great job with this movie, especially keeping the dark tone, and not leaving anything pertinent out!
I've also read the books, but so far I haven't watched an adaption yet. I've been meaning to for long time, actually since the first movie was released but somehow it doesn't really allure me. I guess the third (Swedish) film might be a bit thougher, rofl. It's a shame there will never be a new book in the series.