So, as  a Filipino BL fan, let me start a comment here about possible BL series/movies going mainstream in my country. There's also one I heard the first series "My Extraordinary", is also in the works. I have seen potential in many young Filipino actors so either of them would make noise. Oh Mando's Alex and Kokoy are really good actors. Alex is open about his sexuality (he just came out recently). He's a good actor and I think he can play the role naturally. Kokoy also has done gay-themed movie/s and he's a promising new actor. I'm very excited about this one. However, I heard the shooting was stopped since the coronavirus. Also, the TV network (the biggest TV network in the Philippines) has just recently been shut down due to legal issues in its franchise. Too bad.

Let me tell you this, Filipinos have been very open to the LGBTQ+ community, but not as much for the mainstream entertainment (probably would censor it a lot). Sad to say, conventional views of the religion (Christianity) still affects how the society thinks. Yes, we have gay indie movies. However, they are often expected to be erotic, depressing, dark, prostitution-related and violent at times (I get it since they get the best drama and acting from it that potentially gets international recognition). It's unlike many Thai BL dramas that shows light in the issue, tackles family and friends, acceptance and happy endings - especially for teenagers (who are coming of age) who have the most troubles about learning their sexuality and coming out.

I don't have any idea about how these first Filipino BL stories go... but  instead of showing the depressing side of BL / LGBTQ+, why not give more hope to love and to life. Also, I hope for a better quality both settings and cinematography. I love it when they shot some in that old Hispanic bridge in Manila (It reminds me a scene in Sotus) - I hope they show more of the Filipino culture and touristy sights.

It's quite weird that mainstream TV has been less open to BL dramas especially how gay personalities have been a prominent part of the Philippine entertainment industry like Vice Ganda. Although it had a breakthrough when My Husband's Lover was aired, this show still suffered from the conservative MTRCB as their only kiss in the show was not allowed to be aired.  Hopefully, these online platforms like iWant will be the stepping stone for Filipino BL series to be produced. We have seen this with  Hanging Out miniseries on  Youtube in 2016. I hope  Oh Mando would become popular once it airs. 

Just a reminder to all the Filipino MDL users, we're trying to build up the database for Filipino dramas, movies, and actors and your help would be super useful! <3 

I just checked and the series you both mentioned are on the database, although still pretty bare. If you know of any missing information to add ;)

My Husband's Lover

My Extra Ordinary

Hanging Out