I m not sure why but recently all these new dramas just don't have this suspense that some of old dramas used to have ... the plot seems nice but then either it gets cheesy or just gets unecessary scenes and side stories ... Now i m struggling to have back that passion to marathon something like the  old days i start something it  goes very well at the beginning then meh in the middle so i either drop it or just force myself to finish it for the sake of putting an end to my mysery ................. so i no longer check the new dramas until i feel that most of the audience felt that good crush in the story and character so guy whats the new dramas that u can say gave u that heart race feeling and u d recommend me to start ?!!!
I totally agree~ I also feel old dramas were more liberating and open. Nowadays mostly Korean dramas follow a very systematic chain of events tbh.
try
Circle
The Guardians
True story. There are only a few good ones. That's why I'm currently watching old drama.
I totally agree. + Most of them are so predictable... 
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Korean dramas have always been formulaic...not that I don't like them anyway :)

There's more variety than ever, though.  Of course, the quality still varies widely.  I agree that Circle is great, and has been a good kind of unpredictable so far.  
Talking about kdramas I totally agree with you and some that have kept me interested from 2016 and 2017:

Voice
Signal
Descendants of the Sun
Marriage Contract
Something About 1 Percent
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

for jdramas also from 2016 and 2017:

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu
It's Not That I Can't Marry, But I Don't Want To