Behind Your Smile

Consumed by revenge, Zhao Yi Ting’s life becomes cold and meaningless.  But when he meets Lei Xin Yu, a young woman whose wealthy family has  fallen on hard times, everything changes. He is drawn to Xin Yu in a way  that he has not felt in a long time. Will Yi Ting discover a new lease  on life through her?

Sanaeha Sunya Khaen is exactly what you're looking for! It's slap/kiss drama and he rapes her, like 3 times but they end up together. Just a warning the guy is pretty mean to her, at times I thought he was irredeemable.

@Nymphadora The more you know! Hahaha XD Thank you for giving me a more in deph explanation on Thai culture (I'm not very well aware!) and how that ties into Lakorns~ Despite it being from a different culture (and giving me a slight culture shook :P loll..), I'm actually more intrigued to fully explore the world of Lakorns now, simply because it's new and different ^^ Cant hurt to try, no? XD 

And, perceived threat could be a description as to what I'm seeking in a male lead.. but more specifically Im looking for someone who plays an actual threat (like, to everyone around him, he lashes out and shows his naturally evil side, but doesn't lash out at the female lead for some reason...*wink wink*).

....This description is starting to sound corny, isnt it? XD  Meh. I'll find that specific drama in my mind eventually ^^ (maybe it's one of the dramas already mentioned! *crosses fingers*) But, woww...Thank you again for taking your time to help a sister out ???? (If there's anymore Lakorn drama's you want to recommend to me, please feel free to do so~ I'll try to personally give my follow up to everyone once I get around to watching each recommendation ^^)

Christine The Wallflower:

Sanaeha Sunya Khaen is exactly what you're looking for! It's slap/kiss drama and he rapes her, like 3 times but they end up together. Just a warning the guy is pretty mean to her, at times I thought he was irredeemable.

Hmm, sounds like a pretty hard drama to swallow for the faint of heart... But, I'm a tough cookie who's willing to see all she can! (And of recently, it's been geared to Lakorns!) The fact you said you thought he was irredeemable, means something good happens eventually, too^^ (Which is a nice reassurance and drive for me to watch it~) Thank you for your recommendation! 

@Curlyproof, no problem girl, I love spreading the word of dramas since not many people around me watch them. If you want, you can add me as friend and ask questions by inbox. You can also check my watched list. 

Revenge dramas and slap kiss lakorns fit this  criteria. You should try secret, a love to kill, jam loey rak,roy leh sanae rai, kleun cheewit 

Some dramas with bad boys and antiheroes:- u prince series :the handsome cowboy

Too late to say i love you 

Devil beside you 

this is something i'm also looking for but it's hard to find  , maybe the chinese drama liar and me , he is a mob boss

cruel city but it's not romance focused 

Czakhareina:

Try checking out: Baker TakGoo, A Story of a Man, Giant. Where the villains and antagonist ended up with the girl.

But if you want an anti-hero type protagonist, then check out Jam loey Rak (Thai drama), A Love to Kill, Beautiful Mind, Falling for innocence,,hateful but once again,  Addicted (korean movie), 

What about dramas where they dont end up together cause one dies? Much like Heartless City, Bridal Mask, a Hundred million Stars in the Sky

hey, great recs, but if you want to include spoilers, make sure to spoiler-proof them so they won't ruin the show for people who haven't watched the drama yet. posting unprotected spoilers in the middle of a thread is annoying, thoughtless, and selfish. please spoiler-proof your posts with spoilers. thanks.

Soumya:

Revenge dramas and slap kiss lakorns fit this  criteria. You should try secret, a love to kill, jam loey rak,roy leh sanae rai, kleun cheewit 

Some dramas with bad boys and antiheroes:- u prince series :the handsome cowboy

Too late to say i love you 

Devil beside you 

Yes yes~  From what I've been told, it does seem like revenge and slap/kiss fits my crietera the most ^^    U  Prince: The Handsome Cowboy, Jam Loey Rak, A Love to Kill, Kleun Cheewit, and Devil Besides You are dramas that were previously mentioned, so I feel these may be qualified the most! Nevertheless, I'll keep the others you listed on tab! (Especially "Secret"...considering it actually has the same main female/male characters from "Kill Me, Heal Me" :D) Thank you for your recommendations!~

sofi1993:

this is something i'm also looking for but it's hard to find  , maybe the chinese drama liar and me , he is a mob boss

cruel city but it's not romance focused

Oooooh, the struggle is real, isn't it? XD Hopefully, some of the recommendations posted on here will help ease your search as well! \^o^/  (Sidenote: I haven't been recommended "Liar and Me" or "Cruel City" yet, so I'll keep them noted on my list~ Thank you!!)

I'd recommend Cruel Romance- it involves a romance between a triad leader and an orphan girl that is trying to find out why her family was killed. The leads, Chen Joe and Huang Xiao Ming, have great chemistry together. 

If you are  ok with a gender reversal, Guilty Akuma to Keiyakushita Onna involves a romance between a female who wreaks revenge on people who wronged her and the detective trying to stop her. The leads have great chemistry in this drama as well.

In both dramas, the villain is not villainous to the lead- only other people. 

Lucifer, Maou (Japanese remake of Lucifer), and Ouroboros also feature this trope but romance is not the main focus. The spoiler spoils the endings for the dramas so read with caution. Also the main female leads do not really end up with the villains due to a tragedy ending for all three dramas where the villain dies

Empress ki is amazing you should check it out! One of my favourite dramas ever.

amourexdile:
In both dramas, the villain is not villainous to the lead- only other people.

In a way, I want to see a love battle/twist between two (or more) main leads (one who is truly cynical and the other being the typically expected gentleman, etc) , where the "evil" guy actually wins the girl's heart/ falls for her. (Sounds sappy, I know XD)  

amourexdile:

Lucifer, Maou (Japanese remake of Lucifer), and Ouroboros also feature this trope but romance is not the main focus. The spoiler spoils the endings for the dramas so read with caution. Also the main female leads do not really end up with the villains due to a tragedy ending for all three dramas where the villain dies

I think I'll keep these in mind for dramas where I want to give romance a rest and focus on other main themes ^^

Irusu:

Empress ki is amazing you should check it out! One of my favourite dramas ever.

Empress Ki has been recommended to me a lot! (I just checked it out and it has 51 episodes..wow!) Thank you for your recommendation ^^ (This drama has made it to the top of my list for long dramas that I need to binge watch :D)

You might want to check mydramalist as I have a lot of Thai show listed and in 90 percent of them the man is a tool.  Cubic comes to mind right away.  The Thai lakorns are heavily censored and for the most part have many versions of the same show over and over again.  I like them because I like to view other cultures to try and understand them.  However, I would not like to be a woman born in Thailand...even rich women have a harder time and less opportunities that their Western counterparts.  That being said, the other weird thing about lakorns is that in a lot of them especially the older ones....they sniff each others cheeks instead of kissing.  They do kiss, but not as often as they sniff.  Forced rape seems to be a form of desperate foreplay for which the man is most often forgiven as soon as the next seen in many cases.  There is also a definite division of caste depending on your ancestors and economic status.  All that being said I have listed 80 lakorns which I have completed and rated.  I have probably watched many more but have not listed.  Check them out for a completely different change of pace.

While neither show is primarily a romance, both The Devil (Lucifer) and Queen Seondeok have female leads who are drawn to the darker, more problematic male lead. While it doesn't involve the main leads, Giant prominently features a romance between one of the "bad" guys and one of the "good" female characters.