Hello. I am in desperate need of some strong female leads in Chinese and Japanese Dramas. The strength can be either physical, mentally or emotionally (or all the above). But I DON'T WANT those cop out characters, "she is feisty kind-hearted girl who always does the right thing but is only feisty for the first couple episodes until she get tied down by the male lead."

Thanks in advance!

Ode to Joy

Surgeons

The First Half of My Life

General and I, FL is the smartest strategists even after falling in love with the ML her IQ doesn't drop lol, 

How good is Sound of the Desert? I've had a friend personal recommend it to me awhile ago.

I've already watched Ode to Joy (loved it).

I've tried General & I, Princess Weiyoung (may drop because I really like the novel), Imperial Doctress, Lost Love in Time and since they are long dramas, they take me longer to finish.

Eternal Love has the ultimate strong FL (well except for a chunk in the middle where she's "not really herself" but then she comes back in full force). 

Killer_Queen:

How good is Sound of the Desert? I've had a friend personal recommend it to me awhile ago.

I've already watched Ode to Joy (loved it).

I've tried General & I, Princess Weiyoung (may drop because I really like the novel), Imperial Doctress, Lost Love in Time and since they are long dramas, they take me longer to finish.

Sound of Desert is kind of slow and the video quality isn't the greatest. 

It's not bad but I didn't really buy into it and started watching other stuff, got busy and dropped it entirely.

I would say definitely give it a try. I don't think anyone who has watched and completed a historical CDrama before would go "wow I wasted my time giving it a try". I'll finish it someday but I wasn't captivated by the show. I should probably add it to my MDL list and finish it at some point.

Killer_Queen:

Knavery's right that the graphics and special effects sometimes leave a bit to be desired. I wasn't hooked right away, but ended up really liking it overall. And one bonus is that, unlike so many historical dramas, the leads all live in the end.

mahiba:

Eternal Love has the ultimate strong FL (well except for a chunk in the middle where she's "not really herself" but then she comes back in full force). 

I have already watched Eternal Love :D

Knavery:

Sound of Desert is kind of slow and the video quality isn't the greatest. 

It's not bad but I didn't really buy into it and started watching other stuff, got busy and dropped it entirely.

I would say definitely give it a try. I don't think anyone who has watched and completed a historical CDrama before would go "wow I wasted my time giving it a try". I'll finish it someday but I wasn't captivated by the show. I should probably add it to my MDL list and finish it at some point.

AH:

Knavery's right that the graphics and special effects sometimes leave a bit to be desired. I wasn't hooked right away, but ended up really liking it overall. And one bonus is that, unlike so many historical dramas, the leads all live in the end.

Hmmm, I suppose I should put off than. I want something to digest now.

If you don't mind a lack of romance and highschool setting then I would recommend The Big Boss. She's like JD from Scrubs in a lot of ways.

Love o2o 

Scarlet heart

Lost love in times

My amazing boyfriend(FL may not be the smartest but she has a strong personality)

Sound of desert

Empress of China( gets draggy/annoying towards the end but FL was smart)

Knavery:

If you don't mind a lack of romance and highschool setting then I would recommend The Big Boss. She's like JD from Scrubs in a lot of ways.

I don't mind a lack of romance at all! I enjoy dramas without romance :D

Pinocchio:

Love o2o 

Scarlet heart

Lost love in times

My amazing boyfriend(FL may not be the smartest but she has a strong personality)

Sound of desert

Empress of China( gets draggy/annoying towards the end but FL was smart)

I've watched, Love 020, Scarlet Heart, My Amazing Boyfriend. I am on hold wiht Lost Love in Time, and Sound of the Desert. Empress of China,  I should definitely try!

in my opinion, sound of the desert was one of the best in terms of a strong female lead and otherwise as well. if you hold out through the first half ^^''

besides the above mentioned, i can also highly recommend

King is Not Easy (if it's your type of humor, then it's hilarious!)

The Eternal Love (not the same as Eternal Love! It's this one: https://www.viki.com/tv/35557c-the-eternal-love?locale=en)