Korean movie The Throne

The saddest for me was Secret starring Hwang Jung Eum and Ji Sung. Many actually forget that HJE is a phenomenal actress because of her medicore acting choices lately. This show was really, like, heart-ripping sad and the plot still seemed realistic. You don't get frustrated at the writers for complicating the female lead's life so much but instead feel so much pity for her. There are so many dramas where I feel like all the tragic elements are add to fill the episodes, but not in this case. Overall, it's just a really well-made melodrama.

Another pick is Scarlet Heart, but in this case it's rather a "haunting" type of sad. Like, this show made me feel disturbed so many times and feel out of my comfort zone. I think it's just fault of the sloppy (at times) writing, but yeah, it is sad for sure. Or maybe That Winter, The Wind Blows. The plot isn't as tragic as the other titles I've mentioned but it has a great directing and this sad/depressing atmosphere all over.

Many people would recommend 49 Days, but this show was quite monotonous except for the exceptional ending.

Annalisse:

I always recommend Scent Of A Woman for a good cry: I usually don't do sad/melos, but this one really got to me and is the only sad drama that I've given a 10 to so far. SO that's something.

I agree it is a 10, but I actually found the drama upliftng.

Uncontrollably Fond.

hmm another topic I don't have a sorted list too because there are moments in most every drama that make my choke up at least a bit but let me scroll through my things

Ok here are my medical dramas..these will definitely require tissues. Code blue not so much sad, but it does belong in Medical.

https://mydramalist.com/list/q1Xv7DK3

-------------------------------------------------

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (the movie)

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (Movie)

The Vancouver Asahi --this is a different kind of sad featuring prejudice against the Japanese right before WW2

Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta (also know as "all the precious thing you taught me") this just..there are no words to describe the horror(like appalled not hack-slash)/sadness/love that this has

Nagasaki: Memories of My Son-just watch it.

Budo no ki

Letters From Iwo Jima

Algernon Ni Hanataba O

--If you want more i have them lol but watch these first

If you really really want to bawl your eyes out, 1 Litre of Tears is the best drama. Even an almost unemotional person like me cried, and yeah, I was shook even after two days.

A Thousand Days' Promise

I definitely second I am Sorry I love and can also recommend Fated to love you.

If you like historical dramas, there is also Queen Seon Dok , Painter of the Wind, Jang Ok Jung, Tree without Roots and Empress Ki. 

everyone, thank you so so much for all of your recommendation! i'll go update my to watch list and add all of them! 

milkycoffee:
The saddest for me was Secret starring Hwang Jung Eum and Ji Sung. Many actually forget that HJE is a phenomenal actress because of her medicore acting choices lately. This show was really, like, heart-ripping sad and the plot still seemed realistic. You don't get frustrated at the writers for complicating the female lead's life so much but instead feel so much pity for her. There are so many dramas where I feel like all the tragic elements are add to fill the episodes, but not in this case. Overall, it's just a really well-made melodrama.

thank you for the recommendation! i'll probably start this drama right away, i'm really curious to see if i'll get more frustrated or not on her life and it does look quite interesting! also, i do have scarlet heart on my list, i believe i watched the first episode, but i'm not sure?? 

OldAnimeLady:
hmm another topic I don't have a sorted list too because there are moments in most every drama that make my choke up at least a bit but let me scroll through my things

medical dramas !!! thank you, i love medical dramas, they are one of my favorite genres, with crime  and historical genre. also, the Vancouver Asahi looks very interesting and i love historical movies/dramas, so thank you again for your suggestions! 

lunatepe:
If you like historical dramas, there is also Queen Seon Dok , Painter of the Wind, Jang Ok Jung, Tree without Roots and Empress Ki. 

i do love historical dramas, thank you so much! :-)

These are the drama that I had shed some tears: Marriage Contract, Scent of a Woman,  It’s Ok That’s Love, Secret, Should We KISS First, and Mother.

I heard that A Liter of Tears is the saddest ever but I kind of avoid it since I don’t like crying.

Kounodori 2 has me in tears every episode and I'm not even done with the season yet

S1 had some sad moments as well but nothing compared to this season

Mother, the Korean drama. I didn't shed tears, I was literally sobbing.