Hi all, 

I'm searching for Chinese or Japanese dramas in which the press or journalists try to ruin the lead's life. And a happy ending (for the lead) would be great, too. 

Maybe you've got an idea?

I can think of several Kdramas that fit that, I can think of dozens. But you didn't ask for Kdramas.

Can't think of any Japanese dramas. They are usually about ordinary people, or murder mysteries, or both.  Or have an insanely implausible premise. The press doesn't seem to have much presence in the story telling, and when it does, it often reflects on the characters in a favourable light, or is perhaps used for comedic effect. If a character's reputation is ruined, it's through word of mouth or rumours. Or they deserve it, but that's another kettle of fish. This appears to hold out in other Japanese media forms - including anime, manga or any of the light novels I've read, which all together, number in the hundreds. I could be wrong though, there's a LOT out there I'm unfamiliar with. And my memory isn't perfect, it may have simply not left a strong enough impression.

(Though there's probably a few if you want the characters to deserve to get their reputations smeared. They'll be anti-heroes, and will definitely have a sad ending... Likewise, a character who has a false reputation, but not necessarily targeted by the press may be manageable.)

You'll probably have more luck with Cdramas. I can't name any, I'm not particularly interested in them. I've read several synopsis that sound like they may be what you're looking for, but I never remembered their titles; I wasn't planning to watch them.

Agree with comment above, I have seldom seen/watched Jdramas of this plot. The nearest I could think of is 3rd Grade Class A or Mr. Hiragii's Classroom. But here it was not the main lead that is being persecuted by press. This drama was centered in an accumulation of false press, information manipulation, bullying, and especially social media comments that drove people's ruin. I very very highly recommend this drama. The best 2019 Jdrama!!! 

• Yume wo Ataeru (the whole "press trying to ruin the main character's life" is more of a subplot than the main point of the drama, though)
  • Unmei no Hito (the protagonist is a star journalist, but at one point politicians used the media to undermine his credibility)

With Japanese dramas, I think "journalists who made a mistake and then had to pay for it" and "mob rule" (as in, people got terrorized anonymously for a perceived mistake) are  more common than "trial by the media".