I’m looking for a drama where the ml seems sweet or unassuming but when he’s being challenged by someone or is put into a tough situation it’s like a switch is flipped and becomes a badass out of nowhere. Something like Cha Min from Abyss during the board meeting scene in Episode 6. It can also be a quiet, but secretive and silent badass type of character like Oh Ji Hyuk from The Good Detective. (An example would be when he basically pretends to be a corrupt detective, a naive hired hitman customer and just cons people in general to get evidence. All while not being the main focus of his character. He isn’t even a con man type of character! Also just the overall badassery when he DEADASS trips the criminal in ep 16) If you’ve watched any of these dramas you would get what type of character I’m going for. Also, it has to be a Korean drama, since I’m going to ease myself into C and J dramas. Also please no historical dramas. Some dramas I’ve watched that somewhat fit this criteria are:
- Two Cops (though it’s the possession of the con man that makes him con people but it’s the same person to all the other characters which is what counts)
- Abyss (he was so dorky for all of the drama and the HE SHOWS UP IN A SUIT AND ABSOLUTELY RUINS THE SCUMBAG IN THE BOARD MEETING WTF)
- The Good Detective (so happy it’s getting a second season with the same actor for the ml)
- Suits (SCREECHES)
- Pipeline (Movie) (HOW CAN ONE MAN BE SO NONCHALANT)

Thanks in advance!

thatkiddownthestreet:
I’m looking for a drama where the ml seems sweet or unassuming but when he’s being challenged by someone or is put into a tough situation it’s like a switch is flipped and becomes a badass out of nowhere.

thatkiddownthestreet:
Also, it has to be a Korean drama, since I’m going to ease myself into C and J dramas. Also please no historical dramas.

Meets your criteria:

In the middle:

• Come and Hug Me - The ML has a sweet and unassuming personality, but is also a very capable, persistent and intimidating cop (and it's like a switch is flipped when he goes into badass cop / protector mode). Based on his appearance and background, people are generally afraid of him. He is both a badass and cinnamon roll at the same time, but most people don't know his cinnamon roll side.
  • Queen In Hyun's Man - (modern day but with time travel - the ML is from the past) - The ML comes across as sweet and a little naive (mainly as he adjusts to the "future") but in the past he was a capable swordsman. In the present he can still be a badass when the situation calls for it.
  • Goblin - (modern, but with some flashbacks to the past) - The ML has a dorky / childish personality most of the time, but he was a powerful general and later became a powerful goblin. He can go into badass mode when the need arises.

The reverse (the ML has strong fighting skills but pretends to be dorky, timid, lazy, or superficial/useless for a significant portion of the drama):

* Although these dramas are historical dramas, they're not long, stuffy and endlessly tragic historical dramas. 

I’ve already watched Healer and Goblin but I think I want to try Come and Hug Me and Queen In Hyun’s Man now. Thanks!

thatkiddownthestreet:
drama where the ml seems sweet or unassuming but when he’s being challenged by someone or is put into a tough situation it’s like a switch is flipped and becomes a badass out of nowhere.

The Innocent Man maybe.. quite nice ordinary guy totally changes and becomes badass revenger and during the drama becomes more and more dark.

these aren't exact but I think good examples of one persons switch on/of personality:

High School King of Savvy  school boy act's like his older brother and half of the day is totally different cool businessman, really great acting + fun good watch

Psychopath Diary dorky guy after car accident / amnesia  finds psychopath serial killer's diary and thinks he is the killer so acts like it, there are often switch on moments + very funny and quite high quality drama.

I wonder if Nam Gyung Min specializes in this type. Two I'm sure would fit with your ask:

- Beautiful Gong Shim : He seems like a deadbeat but is actually full of surprises: ace lawyer, badass fighter with almost superhuman skills, and more. 

- Good manager: he looks and acts like a goof but is more than meets the eyes.

Other dramas:

-Flower of Evil: Both the ML AND the FL's best friend and sunbae are like that. It actually hit me with the sunbae, he's always acting like a goof but he's actually a great detective.

-Cheese in the trap : both male leads have surprising qualities (the bum turns out to be a prodigy, and the pampered rich kid turns out to be more of a thug than you'd imagine).

- Liar Game: I'll say no more

-The spies who loved me