I mean something from earlier than 2005ish… honestly ALMOST everything even somewhat recent is a bit too predictable for me. There are exceptions of course, but the old dramas somehow feel slightly fresher, like the tropes within them weren’t beat into a dead horse quite yet.

The genre & country of origin doesn’t really matter. I would say romance is preferred, but if a show is good & you like it/find it memorable it doesn’t matter what it’s about. 

Kimi wa Petto (2003). More recent adaptations were made in 2011 (You're My Pet) and 2017 (Kimi Wa Petto). 

Some of my personal favorites:

All of them feature romance, but it's not necessarily the main subject of the drama, if you get what I mean. In some of them, the emphasis is more on self-discovery rather than romance itself.

AH :

Kimi wa Petto (2003). More recent adaptations were made in 2011 (You're My Pet) and 2017 (Kimi Wa Petto). 

Came here to say this :D  I adore the manga and the drama is my happy place <3 (I can't believe it's now been almost 20 years since I first watched it! That's some good staying power ;-)

neverwhere:

Came here to say this :D  I adore the manga and the drama is my happy place <3 (I can't believe it's now been almost 20 years since I first watched it! That's some good staying power ;-)

Ooh I haven't read the manga but now I want to look for it. 

• GTO
  • Taiyou no kisetsu
  • I'm sorry I love you
  • Pride
  • 1 litre no namida
  • Dragon Zakura
  • Hana yoir dango
  • Byakuyakou
  • Goong
  • Kurosagi
  • Gokusen
  • Liar Game (Japan)

Try:

• My Name is Kim Samsoon
  • Delightful girl chunhyang
  • Winter sonata
  • I am sorry i love you
  • Save the last dance for me
  • Autumn in my heart
  • My Girl
  • what planet are you from
  • Into the Sunlight
  • Feelings
  • Wuri's House
  • First Love
  • Tomato
  • Shoot for the stars
  • Bean Chaff of My Life

I guess everyone on this thread has pretty similar taste to me since I’ve seen (and really like or love) most of these. The ones that I haven’t & want to check out are Koi no Chikara, Byakuyakou, Feelings (I always wanted to watch this just for young Lee Jungjae but I spoiled myself on its entirety so didn’t see the point but I think now I will lol), Wuri’s House and Shoot for the Stars. 

+1 Long Vacation (1996) -> my favorite "old" drama haha! A hidden gem for me , a must-watch for romance and slice of life lover :)

Dejes:

+1 Long Vacation (1996) -> my favorite "old" drama haha! A hidden gem for me , a must-watch for romance and slice of life lover :)

I actually have seen it! But I do def recommend it for anyone scrolling this thread looking for fun late nineties romantic comedies :)

Japan:

1 Litre no Namida
Lipstick
Love Generation
Love Revolution
Boku Dake no Madonna
Kimi wa Petto
Gokusen
GTO (1998)
Seija no Koushin
Ai no Uta (2005)
Algernon ni Hanataba wo (2002)