There's already a spot for reviews where people can write essays as long as your arm.  When people put these in the comment section, they're not interested in back-and-conversations with other fans.  Nine times out of ten they're stroking their own ego, especially when they're using five-to-ten paragraphs just to insult anyone with differing taste. Please limit review posts in the comment section by limiting comment length.

3votes

Disagree strongly.  Why should someone be limited in expressing themselves how they want to for no reason except your personal preference? Just ignore it.

If someone is writing diatribes insulting someone else, report them.

ChoiDaeChulNumber1Fan:

There's already a spot for reviews where people can write essays as long as your arm.  When people put these in the comment section, they're not interested in back-and-conversations with other fans.  Nine times out of ten they're stroking their own ego, especially when they're using five-to-ten paragraphs just to insult anyone with differing taste. Please limit review posts in the comment section by limiting comment length.

I think this is a bit tricky, isn't it?

What's the ideal limit? Who decides that? Should it be determined by the number of words or characters? Freedom of expression, you know. It's not that simple.

Unless it's just plain hate, which should be reported and the appropriate measures taken. But limiting people's rights to express themselves has never been a recipe for success.

They're dominating conversation and pushing all other posts off the page.  If there's no difference between the review section and the comment section, why have both?

What drama is this related to? You could try to reach out to an admin and see if there's something to be done. Is it like an argument? Are people having fights over there? I know things can get pretty intense sometimes.

So, you only read comments that are on the first page?  There's a button at the end of the page where you can load more comments and read stuff on page 2+.

Long posts aren't just reviews.  Plenty of long posts I've read are explaining things in the shows, or adding info from novels.  They, and any review like posts are far more interesting to me,  and inspire conversations, than a page of single line comments saying, "I agree!" or "They are  great!" or "Favorite show ever!" or equally uninformative, conversation killing posts.  But I don't think those comments need to be policed or restricted, either.

Disagree
  • why essay writing
    people uses so many words that many times people cannot understand what the other person is saying. Because we write but with what tone and intention it is written, people have difficulty in understanding it because just 1-2 words or sentences are not able to describe your thoughts completely. Because there is also a problem of language. Many times, when I tried to express my views in one or two lines, the opposite person  asked me what I wanted to say. So to make him understand my point, I wrote 15 more lines and explained it in detail to him, only then he understood.
  • difference of opinion
    You are in a public forum, there will be differences of opinion among people. Your argument will continue to present your views. Putting a limit on words in this is taking away their freedom.
  • spam
    You have the option to block/ignore/report.
 nathsketch:

What drama is this related to? You could try to reach out to an admin and see if there's something to be done. Is it like an argument? Are people having fights over there? I know things can get pretty intense sometimes.

It's not related to any one specific drama, although the latest one prompted the suggestion.  Comment sections are for comment and discussion.  These long reviews posted to the comment section rarely prompt more discussion than "well said!" or "Oh, I just love your writing style."  They're just posting to listen to themselves talk.  It really takes away from the experience on the site.  If you all don't like the suggestion, fine.  But there are users who are going to stay away because of the proliferation of these narcissistic screeds.  At some point, that's all the content that will remain.   I've made my case, and that's all I'm going to say.  Vote for it or don't.

ChoiDaeChulNumber1Fan:
"well said!" or "Oh, I just love your writing style."  They're just posting to listen to themselves talk.  It really takes away from the experience on the site.

One purpose of the site is to bring people together through drama. And share good times with people. As long as someone's conversation does not hurt any person or community or violate the decorum of debate, I do not see any problem in it.

Although I don't agree with you, I still respect your opinion. I always ignore comments that don't fit my preferences and I would recommend you to do the same.

ChoiDaeChulNumber1Fan:

It's not related to any one specific drama, although the latest one prompted the suggestion.  Comment sections are for comment and discussion.  These long reviews posted to the comment section rarely prompt more discussion than "well said!" or "Oh, I just love your writing style."  They're just posting to listen to themselves talk.  It really takes away from the experience on the site.  If you all don't like the suggestion, fine.  But there are users who are going to stay away because of the proliferation of these narcissistic screeds.  At some point, that's all the content that will remain.   I've made my case, and that's all I'm going to say.  Vote for it or don't.

It's already annoying that MDL won't let me quote a post of a certain length, but I get around it by taking a few extra steps and copying and pasting and formatting.  If I can do that, I don't understand why people can't just ignore long posts.  The only effort it takes is scrolling.

I disagree that this is a problem that will drive people away from the site.  However, if they restrict the length of the posts I can make (or read), then there's no reason to participate in any comment / discussion area.  I might as well go to Twitter, where there's a much bigger audience.

ASTER:

One purpose of the site is to bring people together through drama. And share good times with people. As long as someone's conversation does not hurt any person or community or violate the decorum of debate, I do not see any problem in it.

Although I don't agree with you, I still respect your opinion. I always ignore comments that don't fit my preferences and I would recommend you to do the same.

Agreed.  I don't need stuff I don't agree with or am not interested in removed.  I just ignore it.

I forgot about the block function.  If there are alleged "windbags" you don't want to read, then block them.

Kokuto:

Agreed.  I don't need stuff I don't agree with or am not interested in removed.  I just ignore it.

I forgot about the block function.  If there are alleged "windbags" you don't want to read, then block them.

Well,  I blocked you, yet here you are.

I was wondering if you could take the time to read my thread, 

You don't have to vote if you don't want to.  But pls if you can support the mother in the case, as she still protesting.

We should make a New Forum: for Crimes/Drama in the industries Tw:SA - Suggestions - MyDramaList 

ChoiDaeChulNumber1Fan:

Well,  I blocked you, yet here you are. 

This is an issue with blocking. Even if you block someone, you can still see their Forum posts and reviews.

ChoiDaeChulNumber1Fan:

This post hiighlights the need for suggestions to have a specific downvote option, so that bad ideas don't get carried simply because there is no mechanisim for counting those against.  A more practical (and less controlling) option would be a "hide/expand" button. Used on many, many web forums, it shows only the first paragraph or 2 of a comment, and readers then can choose to press the "expand/reveal" button to see the rest if they wish to.