Hide/turn off gifs?

This discussion has been closed.

I like 99% of the changes I've seen here (thank you for all your hard work to improve MDL) except that there are now gifs everywhere. To me it's annoying and distracting to see things that are constantly moving. It's like having a broken lamp in your room that is flickering... except that here, you can't turn the lamp off and change the light bulb. Or... can you?

What I want to suggest is that you make an option to turn off/hide/disable (whatever you call it?) gifs, similar to the way you can chose to see public feeds or friends only. Is this even possible to do? I don't understand these things so I apologize if my suggestion is stupid, but if it possible to do this I think very many people would appreciate it. 

I know that lots of people are super happy and excited that we can now have gifs as profile pictures and I suppose you made it possible because many people requested it. I know many people love gifs even though I don't like them. I have also seen many of my friends mention headache, sensory overload and even thinking of leaving MDL. For me personally it's not a huge issue, it's just something that bugs me a little bit. If seeing moving and blinking things was optional we could all be happy! :)

22votes

Thanks for asking it, i'm voting for the suggestion! 

I don't have any physical issue with it, but i find it just too annoying, especially on the feeds. an option to turn them off would be the best, so that people who want to use gifs can enjoy them, and those like us who are not satisfied/or have issues  with visual effects can still enjoy the site as much as they used to!

Voted.

I thought it was a nice addition at first, and I know many like it, however within a short time later since discovering it I just found it far too annoying and distracting from reading people's comments, particularly as they are in such close proximity to the posts themselves, plus I know of others who have said it gives them headaches from them.

Ceki locked this Jun 11, 2021 03:22 pm