newbiefan:
I would love to explore more Vietnamese dramas and those from countries like Bhutan, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal...

Content from some countries is not receiving the global recognition it deserves, potentially due to the smaller size of these countries or other factors that limit their visibility. Despite the quality and uniqueness of the content produced in these regions, it often remains unnoticed on the global stage. This lack of recognition can be attributed to several reasons, including limited distribution channels, insufficient marketing efforts, and the dominance of content from larger, more influential countries.

Moreover, content from these smaller countries is often not available on major platforms, whether free or subscription-based. As a result, the rich cultural narratives, innovative ideas, and diverse perspectives from these regions remain inaccessible to a broader audience. This situation highlights the need for more inclusive and diverse content distribution networks that can bring attention to the creative works from all corners of the world, ensuring that talent and stories from smaller countries receive the recognition they rightfully deserve.

as evidenced by the love and adoration being thrown at everything coming out of China and South Korea: people don't give a crap about human rights. well, at least not as long as you can shove a big budget into your productions.

This post is not intended to promote any particular theme or tag, but to advocate for the inclusion of Vietnam on the site. While I am not fully informed about the situation in Myanmar, I noticed some contradictions in the statements being made. On one hand, it is said that Myanmar is producing BL (Boys' Love) content, yet on the other hand, it is claimed that such content is not applicable there.

No country should be excluded from being added to this site for any reason. It is crucial to acknowledge that the responsibility to follow the laws and constitution of a country lies with its citizens, who are inherently more aware of their own socio-political context than outsiders.

Regarding the promotion of BL content, Myanmar citizens are best positioned to navigate their own legal and cultural landscape. They can contribute various forms of content to the site that align with their local regulations and societal norms, excluding BL content if necessary to remain within legal boundaries. This approach ensures that the site remains inclusive and diverse while respecting the specific conditions of each country.

ASTER:
No country should be excluded from being added to this site for any reason. It is crucial to acknowledge that the responsibility to follow the laws and constitution of a country lies with its citizens, who are inherently more aware of their own socio-political context than outsiders.

Your whole post was well written. There is more to any country (and life) than BL. If we could include even one or two titles from a country that has found a way to export them on a legally available channel then those interested can watch them and the audience could grow. With growth, hopefully would come a growing awareness of the conditions under which the citizens live and perhaps good change can follow.

This highlights a valid reason why Burmese people should connect with the wider world. The more influence a country's drama and movie industries have globally, the more people become interested in that country and its issues. Take South Korea, for example. A decade or so ago, the political landscape of South Korea was not a major topic of international discussion. However, due to the global rise of South Korean media—through K-dramas, movies, and music—people around the world have become more engaged with and knowledgeable about South Korea. Today, every third people are talking about issues in South Korea, from politics to social issues. Media influence often surpasses that of geopolitics, driving international attention and dialogue.

Connecting with the world through media not only showcases a country's culture and talent but also brings international scrutiny and support, which can be crucial in addressing and resolving internal issues. For Myanmar, engaging with the global audience through its creative industries could open up channels for dialogue and support, shedding light on both the rich cultural narratives and the pressing human rights issues facing the country.

I appreciate your concern. Media can indeed be a double-edged sword. It has the potential to be misused for propaganda and manipulation, but it also holds immense power for positive change and accurate representation. By staying positive and discerning,  

Aster, 

You write very well and have succinctly stated positions I very much agree with. I haven't commented on this topic for quite awhile but I've been following the conversation since shortly after the discussion began - nothing has changed.

I agree with you 100% that no country ought to be prevented from adding media to this site - well, at least no SE Asian country considering that part of the world is the focus of this site. This is not a public site tho, I don't even kno who owns this site and I'm fairly certain as to the reason why Vietnam hasn't been added yet and I'm quite disappointed with the MDL staff - but that doesn't seem to affect anyone, so I'm going to spell it out rn

MDL Staff, 

Eventually this is going to become an actual issue - something I don't think that you are prepared to handle at all, like not at all - I doubt you even understand what I'm implying.

If you were to add Vietnam now, you could say its bc you "reviewed their media and found they met xyz qualifications" or something like that - that legitimize both your adding them now AND this ridiculous waiting period. Plus that would give you a legitimate process for doing this in the future - which tho I really dislike how I think such process will be used, it does seem like you may need a way to prevent certain country content from arriving on this site - a real way, not just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. I don't need to be watching content made by a brutal dictatorship for example - you can censor that. 

That is what you are doing to Vietnam, censoring them - you have no legitimate reason to do so. Its becoming more and more obvious everyday that there is only one reason why you are censoring them.

This is very shady what you are doing - someday the chickens will come home to roost. I suggest you get ahead of that and while doing so, give yourselves a little bit of a legit foundation to stand on for similar situations you will encounter in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

I think MDL is not the only or priority project in their hands but there might be others too that may be the reason for ignoring the issues of MDL. We can only hope that things work out.

It would be good to see Myanmar, Malaysia, Bhutan, Laos, Cambodia & Nepal added as well. I occasionally find a Cambodian drama YT & I started a Malaysian drama somewhere but changed locations and lost it.

hp001:

I agree with Cambodia, Nepal, Bhutan and Laos where producers/directors are free to produce BL content. But for me it is a NO for Myanmar and especially for Malaysia which has the second worst LGBTQ rights record in the world.  Any BL content coming from Malaysia is government propaganda. If a private company/director would dare to produce BL content in Malaysia, the director and actors would be in prison (promotion is prohibited by Islamic laws) or killed by government or fundamental jihadists (extrajudicial killings of gay people is tolerated in Malaysia).  Access to any GLBTQ content is not permitted, any internet sites just mentioning GLBTQ are banned. Foreign movies and TV programs are stripped out of any LGBTQ content and  even content that could  be interpreted as GLBTQ positive/friendly.

At this point you’re hijacking this thread  You should make your own suggestion and have people vote on it. This thread is for Vietnam.

(what you’re saying is very important, but it’s not for this thread. You could also the BL Lovers space.)

hp001:
Any BL content coming from Malaysia is government propaganda. If a private company/director would dare to produce BL content in Malaysia, the director and actors would be in prison (promotion is prohibited by Islamic laws) or killed by government or fundamental jihadists (extrajudicial killings of gay people is tolerated in Malaysia).

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and you are clearly spreading false information. If you know nothing about our country you are advised to do more research about it. So far for almost half a century living in Malaysia I haven't yet to see any gays/trans got persecuted by death sentence, neither do they got beaten or killed by some random people on street because of their sexuality. Maybe you got brainwashed by weird propaganda?

Please also note that MDL isn't specific for BL. It's very far stretch to not include a country just because of their regulation on BL related media.  Maybe you should open a separate site called MBLL (my BL list)? Then you can include BL specific contents and not including any country you think isn't BL friendly.

PS: Sorry for the off topic but this guy is spreading false propaganda I just can't help replying.  

ASTER:

I think MDL is not the only or priority project in their hands but there might be others too that may be the reason for ignoring the issues of MDL. We can only hope that things work out. 

I don't kno - this is a community site, the site's administrators are not responsible for creating content and being that they have obviously already created the website, server, the databases - they have already done all the real work. Depending on how they set the site up, this could literally be 5 minutes worth of work.

Plus I was here when they added the Philippines - that all happened very fast. Thats actually the main reason I sus the true intentions are to prevent any new countries from being added to the "lists" here. There was a bit of a backlash to some of the Pilipino content and I feel like they are trying not to "repeat a mistake" - thats the gist of it.

This site is "supposed to be" for perfect Korean Idols. 

edit: And don't forget - this is not a gay site. Like some user suggested, maybe we should make a different site, that is the sentiments of the site admins, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure their traffic for LGBTQ media is FAR greater than any other traffic.

I don't kno - I feel like it would be very easy to make everyone happy but I'm not sure that is the priority here, which is the reason I keep writing on this thread. 

“This site is "supposed to be" for perfect Korean Idols.”

This is what it’s starting to feel like, tbh