wandered over here again after wishing there was a xianxia genre.

I don't have anything to add as far as how to divvy things up between genre and tags, but I do want to add my voice of agreement that the genres and tags need to be cleaned up and differentiated from each other. There's too much overlap between them, and I frequently see things in both that shouldn't be there.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 DramaHeroine:

I don't have anything to add as far as how to divvy things up between genre and tags, but I do want to add my voice of agreement that the genres and tags need to be cleaned up and differentiated from each other. There's too much overlap between them, and I frequently see things in both that shouldn't be there.

Could you please elaborate on this “There's too much overlap between them, and I frequently see things in both that shouldn't be there.”? What do you mean by overlapping and see things in both? Some examples will be good as well. :D

To everyone: anyone can help clean the genres and tags by adding the correct ones or deleting the incorrect ones as long as you provide source links and/or explanations for the changes. You can also vote for the tags to express how relevant/irrelevant they are to the drama/movie.

For example, every season of Wakako Zake has Food in the genre, and most of them have Life in the genre as well. But like the original poster has said, food is a theme, not a genre, and Life really should be changed to Slice of Life. Life isn't a genre anyway. It's a consequence of existence, lol. I tried to suggest these changes on the drama pages, but while I can remove Food from genre and add it to tags, Slice of Life isn't a genre option.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 DramaHeroine:

For example, every season of Wakako Zake has Food in the genre, and most of them have Life in the genre as well. But like the original poster has said, food is a theme, not a genre, and Life really should be changed to Slice of Life. Life isn't a genre anyway. It's a consequence of existence, lol. I tried to suggest these changes on the drama pages, but while I can remove Food from genre and add it to tags, Slice of Life isn't a genre option.

They are still a genre because the genres haven't been updated. So for now we have to still use those. Also, Life is the same as Slice of Life just that it wasn't named properly from the start. :)

Hessa:
Western: This has never been used, ever. We are an Asian film/drama database. There are hardly any Asian cowboy films.

exemples for what is western in asian film/Drama for me:

Nark Boon Song Klot, Dok Mai Lai Pad Klon and Nai Hoi Tamin.

I don't have a link to prove it unfortunately, so I didn't change it. But i am very sure they fall below that by genre standards .

PeachBlossomGoddess:
I am totally on board with keeping the number of genres as small as possible. It is ridiculous and messy to keep splitting things into smaller and smaller sub-genres.

I agree. And I would suggest locking all genres for Tags. What is a genre should not also appear in tags.

my proposition :

take the main genre as genre and the sub genre as tags. All genre cann't be used as tag.

don't sort the tags by popularity but by 1 sub-genres 2 things that happen 3 person involved (k-pop groups) .

Maybe you could add trigger warnings.

something like forcibly, bloody  or bare skin.

So that people who can't stand it don't even watch these dramas. 

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Sayuri Offenborn:

Maybe you could add trigger warnings.

something like forcibly, bloody  or bare skin.

So that people who can't stand it don't even watch these dramas. 

We already have tags that are used as trigger warnings: Blood, Gore, Nudity, Brief Nudity, (Mild/Extreme) Sexual Content, Sexual Assault, etc.

However, some titles, especially older ones, might not have tags/triggers added as the tags system has been introduced in 2017 and there are over 75000 titles on MDL.

Yuanwei:

We already have tags that are used as trigger warnings: Blood, Gore, Nudity, Brief Nudity, (Mild/Extreme) Sexual Content, Sexual Assault, etc.

However, some titles, especially older ones, might not have tags/triggers added as the tags system has been introduced in 2017 and there are over 75000 titles on MDL.

Yes, i understand. But I would separate them. Tag help to find dramas. trigger warnings to avoid them.

I think it would make it clearer.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Sayuri Offenborn:

Yes, i understand. But I would separate them. Tag help to find dramas. trigger warnings to avoid them.

I think it would make it clearer.

From the way you wrote it the first time it wasn’t clear what you were suggesting, hence my reply.

This was suggested before and a lot of us are hoping for the tags to be split in more categories (Sub-genres, Themes, Triggers, etc) so it is easy to find or avoid what we want/don’t want to watch.

Yuanwei:
This was suggested before and a lot of us are hoping for the tags to be split in more categories (Sub-genres, Themes, Triggers, etc) so it is easy to find or avoid what we want/don’t want to watch.

question:

Does you all mean?

-Tag (sub-genres, Themes, Triggers, etc)

or

-Tag 

-sub-genres

-Themes

-Triggers

-etc.

I would like:

-Tag (sub-genres, Themes, etc)

-Triggers

Thanks for your reply.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Sayuri Offenborn:

question:

Does you all mean?

-Tag (sub-genres, Themes, Triggers, etc)

or

-Tag 

-sub-genres

-Themes

-Triggers

-etc.

I would like:

-Tag (sub-genres, Themes, etc)

-Triggers

Thanks for your reply.

It’s not about what you would like but how they should be split. Sub-genres are not actually Tags, they are Sub-genres. I personally wouldn’t consider Themes as Tags either, they are just themes for me. Triggers can be considered Tags, same as Tropes, but many of us want them to be split for various reasons that have been shared before.

Nothing is decided nor set in stone at this moment, so please have patience.

Until then feel free to share your opinion but please give reasons for your suggestions.

Thank you!

Yuanwei:
This was suggested before

I have overread it.

Yuanwei:
but please give reasons for your suggestions.

Sorry for my short answer. Hope you can understand better this way. 

my reason :

There are people who cannot see certain things. I was just hoping that it could be made easier for these people. At the moment you have to open tags and scroll through until you maybe find something. A lot of work and there is a risk of overlooking something. If it would be its own point, you would see at a glance whether to stay away from a drama or not.