When adding streaming services for region-locked dramas, the only option is to list unavailable countries, but that isn't always useful since many region locks are excluding all countries/regions except a select few. So if a service is only available in, say, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan and South Korea, but unavailable everywhere else, there is no meaningful option for specifying that, which means it's left listed as available everywhere with no restrictions.

I'd like to suggest that it should be possible to add which countries or regions (e.g., "South East Asia" or "Thailand") where a drama is available on a specific service, or at least to add the option of "limited availability" without specifying which countries or regions. 

29votes

This is a great idea and would very helpful for the users of this site.

I think this would be a great addition. I can't tell you how many times I have clicked the one of these streaming services buttons, and it wasn't available due to restrictions.

Maybe add an option to select where you watched it and in which country in the advanced folder, and have the data displayed somewhere on the page. 

I really hope this gets implemented. They should give people a chance to vote where they watched and from what country because there's no point in listing a specific streaming service if it's only available in one country. You have to rely on external sites to find the drama you want and check if it's available. Since MDL probably uses these data from other sites, would it be too hard to have a dropdown menu listing all the countries where the content is currently available?

Hessa Volunteer Staff

That was already on MDL but caused a lot of problems and was removed. Now if the service is only available in certain countries, such as VIU Indonesia, they admin already have it set to only show up there, so no need to add the unavailable location.

Unavailable now is mainly for things like Viki, Netflix, etc. Although people even want remove all restrictions since a lot of users use VPNs and would like to see all available options even if they are not officially available in their region.

Hessa:

That was already on MDL but caused a lot of problems and was removed. Now if the service is only available in certain countries, such as VIU Indonesia, they admin already have it set to only show up there, so no need to add the unavailable location.

Unavailable now is mainly for things like Viki, Netflix, etc. Although people even want remove all restrictions since a lot of users use VPNs and would like to see all available options even if they are not officially available in their region.

Thank you for your reply!
I don't think the function that services only show up in available regions works as it should, because I have clicked on listed services so many times only to find that the content is not available to me. 

-Aprillen-:

Thank you for your reply!
I don't think the function that services only show up in available regions works as it should, because I have clicked on listed services so many times only to find that the content is not available to me. 

The option to add a streaming service for a title allows you to add direct links and also to specify if it’s not available (country restriction) and if it has subtitles. When a link to a streaming service is added it automatically includes every country. If it doesn’t work or shows up in your country you can edit the page “services” And include your country in the restricted section so it won’t be visible for other users in the same country.

Rien:

The option to add a streaming service for a title allows you to add direct links and also to specify if it’s not available (country restriction) and if it has subtitles. When a link to a streaming service is added it automatically includes every country. If it doesn’t work or shows up in your country you can edit the page “services” And include your country in the restricted section so it won’t be visible for other users in the same country.

I've tried doing this. It was rejected.

Moreover, it would be much more useful to know where a service is *available* than not having it show up at all.  

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 -Aprillen-:
I've tried doing this. It was rejected.

Did the staff member give a reason for rejection?

Hessa:

Did the staff member give a reason for rejection?

Not that I remember, no