I've had my adblock set to "off" on MDL for a while, but for maybe the past month I've been getting side-bar and pop-up video advertisements that auto play without me clicking or rolling my mouse pointer over them. I generally don't mind advertisements since I know MDL needs the revenue to keep running, but I'm wondering if anything can be done about these ads which really impede my enjoyment of the site. Or are the type of advertisements shown not something the MDL team can affect?

Hessa Volunteer Staff
My adblock is also set "off" on MDL, but I have not seen any side-bar ads and pop-up video. Maybe you downloaded a toolbar or extensions/plug-in in your browser and that is why it is displaying pop-ups and side bar ads.
I use "adwcleaner" to remove those annoying toolbar or extensions/plug-in, it just removes the bad stuff and my adblock and other good extensions are not removed, here is a link if you want to try it: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
Let us know if you are still having the same issue.
I had one other extension on that I haven't been using, so I turned it off but still got a pop-up video advertisement.