I know thai dramas are slap/kiss based on what many people have said in the comments of many lakorns, but I have watched a few lakorns like, Ugly Ducklings Perfect Match, I wanna be a sup'tar, Leh Nang Fah, Full House, and etc..  People have told me those lakorns aren't a real representation of what actual lakorns are like, so What I'm trying to ask is if you guys can please help me understand what slap/kiss or lakorns are in general by listing their characteristics  down below. I would really like to get into Thai Dramas like I have done with other asian dramas, but before I would like to know why slap/kiss lakorns have a lot of haters and also a lot of lovers.

Thank You 

thanks, I'll be sure to check it out

@HafsaMohammed

I think branding all Thai lakorns as 'Slap/Kiss' is not exactly correct because not all Thai lakorns are slap/kiss. I think it's just that there are more Thai lakorns with a revenge or slap/kiss genre out there compared to other countries' dramas that make the Thai lakorns so famous (or infamous?) for their revenge and slap/kiss genre. 

Having said that, I do note that the popular older Thai lakorns do tend to feature revenge-based stories and slap/kiss scenes which include rape, but this has been toned down quite a bit in recent years. I think the producers and Thai tv channels have slowly cottoned on to the changing views of their audience and are adjusting the scripts and the shows accordingly. 

PS: Apparently, the word 'lakorn' is for 'tv drama', which is often in reference to more mature-themed Thai dramas shown on Thai national televisions. The cable network shows such as the Ugly Duckling series or the U-Prince series or the BL series are not generally termed as 'lakorn' as they are more youth-based shows so best to adjust your understanding of the terminology too. 

I found this article on Wikipedia to be quite helpful and informative on the set formulas and drama tropes that are common in Thai tv dramas (i.e. 'lakorns'), so here is the link. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_television_soap_opera

PS: I can't speak for everyone, and I myself am not a fan of the revenge and slap/kiss genre, but I think part of the appeal of revenge-based stories and slap/kiss dynamics is the drama that comes with it and that is pictured on-screen. Some people might enjoy a really intense, emotionally-provoking drama vs your light, warm and fluffy shows. Hence, having a character driven by revenge motives tends to bring a lot of emotional intensity and a lot of crazy dramatics on the screen, which may appeal to people who are in the mood for a loud, in-your-face, dramatic show. The slap-and-kiss dynamic enhances this perception too which is why a lot of revenge-based dramas tend to also have the slap/kiss trope in them. 

I find that a lot of Thai drama shows tend to like some over-the-top scenes or characters in them and it doesn't matter whether they are revenge-based slap/kiss shows or not. Quite a lot of the romantic-comedy shows or just pure romance-driven shows tend to always feature at least some overly-dramatic, one-dimensional caricature-ish character(s) who is/are there to either stir up some drama or to create comic beats/ moments. The villains and crazy second-leads (usually females in heavy make-up and eye-catching clothes) usually fulfil this role, but you also sometimes have some silly side-characters who are very loud and exaggerated in their portrayals too. I think this is one of the ways the show does to keep some aspect of 'intense' and 'drama' which Thai viewers like in their rom-coms or pure romance shows (i.e. non-revenge slap/kiss). Even the historical/ period shows are not exempt from these over-done dramatic characterisations.

Another thing I've noticed is that there is a lot of Thai action-based shows too i.e. mafia or military shows. Maybe this is because again, this sort of action-based shows tend to bring on lots of suspenseful situations and circumstances fraught with danger/ excitement/ anxiety. Again, this appeals to audiences who like their shows intense and exciting. And yes, there is always a romance built into these shows too, which lends another aspect of 'intense' and 'exciting' to viewers.

In short, I suspect the Thai audience like their shows loud, obvious and energetic with generous helpings of intensity and excitement, so if you like your shows like this too, well, I think you've probably just slipped down the rabbit hole and arrived at Wonderland! :P

I kinda like both types of dramas (light and intense) thanks for explaining this to me