• Location: Huang Dao

Ari_Lee

Huang Dao
Spellbound
Mar 25, 2012
Chilling is one of those movies that incorporate many genres. It has comedy, drama, horror, and romance. This may seem like a lot. You might, also, think that just because of that (and possibly previous experiences) the movie might be chaotic and just have a bunch of random scenes thrown in together and call it a day, but that is not the case. Everyone who took part in this movie did a great job. The scenes do not feel disconnected at all; they flow together and very nicely tell a story.

Story: It's not an original story, even the synopsis tells it so, but it was very enjoyable.

Acting/ Casting: Lee Minki, who I have recently seen in his cameo on the drama "Shut Up: Flower Boy Band", has captured my heart with his acting once again. He is truly a magnificent actor who just gives to his characters a life of their own. I have to mention that both characters he played have a very distinctive feel to them and I just want to see him in more and more things.

I had only seen Son Ye Jin in "Personal Taste", and although I did like the drama, I wasn't that impressed with her in that particular role. But she was just perfect as Yeo Ri. Both of them made the characters likable and believable and that just made me sympathize with them and the things which were happening to, and around, them.

They have really good chemistry together.

I also liked the supporting actors. The movie had a great cast all around.

Music: It felt like it belonged at all times and complemented the scenes nicely.

Rewatch: I will definitely re-watch this movie more than a few times.

Overall: The movie is almost two hours long, but it felt less than that because I was totally immersed in the movie (I did stop it once just to post on the discussion thread. But that had nothing to do with the movie and all with the subs I found). I think this a very well done movie.

Bunny Drop
Mar 3, 2012
Usagi Drop it's the heartwarming story of the trials and rewards Daikichi, a 30 year old single man, faces when he, against his family's wishes, decides to raise a 6 year old girl named Rin, whois his late grandfather's illegitimate daughter.

I had watched anime last year and when I found out about the movie I couldn't wait. I had fallen in love with the story and how they go about it. The movie is not fast paced since the story itself isn't. It is somewhat slow, but the almost two hours went by fairly fast all the same.

The two main actors, Matsuyama Kenichi and Ashida Mana, do such a great job acting that even without obvious caring words, they pull off showing how much their bond and relationship has grown as time passes. I also liked the acting of the rest of the cast.

The music leaves something to be desired, but for me, it doesn't hinder the story at all.

This is the first movie adaptation I've been happy with in a while, so I'll definitely re-watch it sometime.

Twelve Men in a Year
Apr 29, 2012
This show had all the makings of a great drama, which I would have easily scored 10. It had a fresh story with interesting situations, which certainly made it different from other Korean dramas I've watched and that made it very appealing for me.

But as good as the story was, there was one thing which bothered me too much to be overlooked: the main character, Na Mi Roo. This woman was not what I imagined for the main lead of this drama. For me, she didn't fit the concept of it at all. She was annoying beyond belief and a few times I wanted to physically hurt her. At times, it also felt like the character wasn't well written. I didn't feel she had much character growth, if any at all. It was like she was meant to be an ordinary and forgettable supporting character and they decided to make her the main one at the very last minute.

So, in one hand we have "loser Mi Roo" and on the other we have Tanya. Now this character was awesome. She was interesting, mysterious, had depth, was funny... In other words, she was everything I had hoped the main character of this drama would be. I also felt she had much more character growth, and was better written, than Mi Roo.

Besides Tanya, all the other characters were also interesting and I actually wanted to know more about them and the reasons behind their actions. The wonderful portrayal of those characters was what kept me watching this drama.

The OST of the drama was good. I already knew some of the songs because they were in English and the opening credits track was very catchy.

And the ending was not common, but not unpredictable since I had a feeling it would end like that.

As much as I loved some of the characters (like 4-D writer Lee, awesome Tanya and cute Kwang Woo) and thought the story was very good, I cannot subject myself to watching Mi Roo for 16 episodes again, so I do not ever plan on re-watching this drama again.

Departures
Feb 17, 2012
Story: Death might not seem like an original plotline, for me it isn't, but the idea of doing a movie based on a "nokanshi"'s work seemed pretty interesting to me. I had never seen anyone do something like that. And It was, particularly, interesting to see the way they are viewed by friends and family.

Acting: I really liked the acting. The initial reactions everyone had, the way people mourned. I've never seen a "nokanshi" work, but the way the actors gave life to the ritual in those scenes through the movement of their hands, and body in general, made it look like art. It was beautiful and I felt fascinated by all of it.

The way the movie closed was also touching and beautiful.

Music: The music was excellent. It created the right atmosphere by intensifying the feelings and actions the actors were portraying or by creating a calm atmosphere when needed. It never felt like it didn't belonged.

One thing you should know before starting this movie is that it's not a terribly exciting like those with lots of action sequences. It has a slow kind of pace, but it's over before you know it because of the way the story flows and the way the music helps that flow. It also has a few minor comedic scenes tossed in there. I'm sure I'll eventually re-watch it.

Jan 9, 2012
This is a very touching story and I thought they used the short time they had to tell it very well. It clarified everything it had to without dragging on and on, which is always good.

Another good thing about this drama is the flashbacks. This is one of the few times I've felt flashbacks are completely necessary and actually helped in the storytelling. I believe they were employed well, and even though they were used a few times, I didn't feel they were abused and that every single one of them achieved its purpose.

The acting was good and the two main leads were more than just good.I thought they portrayed their characters very well. The music helped convey the emotions of those characters too. The only thing that wasn't good were some rather strange/fake effects, but those are not used a lot.

I have to mention another thing which is not really important, but this is possibly the only drama where I have to bow to the stylists. I loved the costumes, both the modern time clothes and the ones in the historical time.

I will very likely be re-watching it soon since it's only two episodes and it doesn't drag.

U-Turn
Jun 5, 2012
"U-turn" is a very short drama about how a woman, who doesn't remember anything about her past, mysteriously appears in the trunk of a man's car and how he tries to help her until they both come to realize who she is. It is also a car commercial. Like the other members have mentioned, I, also, believe this would be a good story for a longer drama.

I liked it because it was entertaining, cute moments included. It also had an air of mystery since right along with them we are also wondering where this woman came from and who the heck she is. And since it was short, it went straight to the point, which is something I really like.

I don't remember any of the music played, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If I was bored and didn't feel like watching a long drama, I would re-watch this in the future.

Holy Pearl
Apr 15, 2012
The drama is loosely based on Rumiko Takahashi's manga, Inuyasha and story-wise it is actually pretty good. This was one of the things that kept me watching it.

Acting/Cast:

The acting, for me, wasn't very good, but some of the other Chinese dramas I have attempted to watch have very similar acting style. So, if you like, and watch a lot of, Chinese/Taiwanese dramas the acting probably won't be a problem.

There were a few interesting characters in the drama. Sometimes, it was amusing to watch the choices they made and the way they handled the consequences of those choices. They also made it easier for me to digest some of my not so favorite characters. I actually liked some of the "bad" guys more than the "good" ones. The reasons why they did some things seemed to logical and very close to reality. I know I would do almost the same things as Hu Ji did if I were in her shoes.

Some of the minor/guest characters were laughable. They looked like they were part of a bad cosplay...play; pink wigs and all.

I thought the OST was very good. Actually, I loved the OST. I felt it went accordingly to each scene and I still listen to some of the songs.

Re-watch:

The drama is fantasy and I love fantasy based dramas & movies, so it was very appealing for me. And while, I wouldn't re-watch the full drama again, I will definitely go back to my favorite scenes and episodes.

Overall:

There are a few other things I loved about the drama like the fighting/battle scenes, which had a lot of the fantasy element in them and I loved when Yao Yao, or Xian Yue, played the flute. The costumes (especially those of the female characters)were amazing and gorgeous. There were also some parts where breathtaking scenery could be seen.

I really wanted to give this drama an 8. I really did and I actually had scored it that before I made the review, but have now changed it. Why? Well, even though the drama is far from perfect, it does have it own charm and I found it very entertaining, but I just didn't like the ending. The ending ruined the last episode for me, which was otherwise great.

Scarlet Heart
Oct 16, 2011
I have had a history of trial and error with Chinese dramas, mostly because of the acting. So, when I saw the first episodes of this drama I was instantly enthralled with the story.

But towards the middle of the drama, the story seems to drag. I knew a lot was happening, but at the same time it seemed like nothing was and I tend to have the attention span of a five year old.

Another problem I had was with the production team (I guess). The transitions both from scene to scene and the lapses in time seemed chaotic and I was often confused as to why they didn't make these smoother.

Having said that, I did love the story. I would have been able to enjoy it more if they had managed to piece the scenes together better than they did. I also loved the gorgeous costumes. And this drama has some of the best employed flashback scenes I have seen.

It's not the worst drama I have ever seen since I managed to fully complete it, but it's not the best one out there either.

Dream High 2
Mar 22, 2012
Story: I felt the drama had no defined, real story. I also felt it was all over the place since it didn't feel consistent. I actually skipped a bit towards the later episodes.

Acting: It was just OK (though some were less than OK), but to be honest I had hoped that Kang Sora would do a better job since she was one the actresses in the group. I did like JinWoon, he did better than I had thought he would and I, also, liked Jung Yeon Joo's character and her portrayal of it.

Music: The music was great. For me, it was the best part of the drama. I loved the performances and the preparation scenes which took place before them. I also liked the "non-competition" music scenes.

Re-watch: I do no plan to re-watch this drama since I found it lacked a lot and I can just search for the clips involving the music parts, which is the reason why I even rated it a 5.

Shima Shima
Jan 12, 2012
I started watching the drama, because the story looked interesting. And this is a cute, predictable, and light drama. So, if you are looking for some mindless fun, it's a good choice. But if you are looking for something which makes you think, then you should not watch this.

The drama tries to address subjects about the woes of women who are 30, and over, seriously, but they do it so lightly while trying to act serious that sometimes I found myself scoffing at the way they "analyzed" the situation. There isn't much character growth, if any. All relationship developments were rushed, I would have missed it if I blinked.

The acting was similar to most other Japanese dramas I've watched, not bad, but forgettable. And the music although it felt right for the moment, it's really nothing special.

Also, it's anime-ish at times. So, if you don't like those random characters that seem to come out of nowhere, random moments, and the exaggerated acting, this may not be for you.

I'm giving it a 6 because I did enjoy it, even if I don't considerate to be among the best dramas of any year.

The Man From Nowhere
Mar 25, 2012
If you like action movies and you haven't seen The Man from Nowhere, I recommend giving it a try.

The Man From Nowhere blends powerful scenes with a touching story to create a great movie. The story will slowly and steadily build up to the action which will keep you at the edge of your seat.

The setting is dark which possibly hints that past, which has his neighbors coming up with different types rumors about him as it frequently happens when we don't understand something or something is unknown. Won Bin's portrayal of this mystery man is outstanding and solid.

So Mi's situation and story will captivate you and the little girl who plays her, also, did a great job with her role.

The other actors were also superb and they did a great job portraying dark characters.

The music helps the set the mood. And it never felt out of place or random.

I do wish it had ended a bit differently than it did.

There's blood and violence, if you don't like these two elements, the movie might not be for you.

Padam Padam
Feb 10, 2012
I'll admit that when I first read the synopsis, I really didn't expect much from it. It even looked like an ordinary drama story, but that all changed as soon as I watched the first episode.

Story: The story was different and well written. The plot kept getting more interesting with each passing minute. Everyone involved in the production of it, cast and staff, knew just how to take it a notch up with each episode, which left me wanting more.

Acting/Cast: The actors did such an amazing job that I loved every interaction between them, even the ones I loved to hate (and there were a few of those). Jung Woo Sung playing the role of Yang Kang Chil was simply brilliant and he is a character I will not forget. Kim Bum as Gook Soo was also amazing.

Music: I loved the soundtrack of this drama, every song went perfectly with the moment and the story. It, also, helped enhance the emotions the cast kept throwing our way.

Rewatch: I would love to re-watch this, but it's not very likely any time soon. Not because I didn't like the drama and not because I thought it was average and not worthy of a re-watch. But because every aspect of the story, even the happy moments, were heartbreaking.

Overall, I give this drama a 10. I think it deserves it. It cast a magical spell which enthralled, amazed me and from which I could not escape. It is definitely worth a watch and make sure you have some tissue with you because it is a real tearjerker, especially towards the last episodes.

Brown Sugar Macchiato
Mar 23, 2012
A very badly acted, random drama with very few entertaining scenes and a nice song or two.

Story: I watched it because when I read the description, it "sounded" interesting. But having watched this when I was new to dramas, I was in for a surprise and not necessarily a pleasant one.

Acting/Cast: It was horrible. There was a lot of overacting by everyone.

Music: The music was fairly decent. I still listen to one song from the OST, "Bitter Tea".

Re-watch: I never plan on watching this again and I honestly don't recommend it to anyone.

Overall: I watched this when dramas were bright and shiny for me and when I didn't drop dramas. If had I watched this now, it would have been dropped by episode 2 at the most. Or more likely, I wouldn't have even bothered with it.

Blind
Feb 25, 2012
The opening of the movie shows a shocking scene, which for me set the mood for the rest of the movie and helped grab my attention.

Story: Let's be honest, it's not original. I've watched, at least, one other movie where the witness of a crime is blind. It, also, falls into thriller movie cliches, which makes it ordinary, but that doesn't not mean it's not good. It's actually quite absorbing and you can't help but to give all your attention to it. Also, I love the camera work and the way they blended the world of the blind with the world of the seeing in some scenes.

Acting/Cast: I liked the acting. I thought the ways the characters interacted with each other were very good. I'll admit I had my reserves about it after watching Kim Ha Neul in "You Are my Pet". She had failed to impress me in it. But I'm glad I watched this. She plays a totally different character than she did in YAMP, and does a really good job of it. Yoo Seung Ho is quite impressive in it too.

Music: To be honest, it wasn't bad, but it's quite forgettable. But it did what it was supposed to do in the moment, accompany the actions and pace of the movie.

I'll re-watch this movie eventually since I really enjoyed it.

The Promise
Oct 24, 2011
Overall: This is my favorite type of Chinese film, fantasy with a little romance and action thrown in. Most Chinese films have gorgeous views and this one was no exception. I'll admit that among those there were some that looked a little fake, but to be honest it didn't take away from the beautiful images it was invoking. It was like watching a painting move. Although, there was one scene which made me laugh a little when I'm sure they, also, meant it to be beautiful. ALL the costumes were gorgeous and these added to that moving painting feel.

Story: I love fantasy stories and this one as far as a story goes was great. This is not focused on battles and action, it is more like a Fairy Tale.

Acting/Cast: The acting wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It was just enough to keep you interested in what was happening on screen.

Music: The music was amazing and went great with the story.

Re-watch Value: Since this is a movie, it's very likely I'll re-watch it sometime in the future.