• Location: The princess's road

BrightestStar

The princess's road
River’s Edge Okawabata Tanteisha
Oct 2, 2014
Let me start by saying River's Edge is an unusual episodic detective dorama. As a detective dorama, the mystery isn't the main focus. The mystery blends in perfectly with the moody atmosphere and it's darkness. Not all mysteries are meant to be solved and not all questions are meant to be answered.

Before I go on further I'll first introduce the 3 main characters here. Those characters and the casted actors were a perfect fit with what the dorama is trying to portray.

Muraki: Maybe the most mysterious of the bunch. Lazy, laid-back, uninterested, which is most perfectly fitted to be played by my dear old Odagiri Jo. Being usually unconcerned about anything, I enjoyed his interactions with the other two.

Megumi: She's the opposite of Muraki. She's full of energy and always up to something different. For some she may be hard to take on at first but she does grow on you in a big way. She doesn't change or anything, but you learn ti accept her as she is as a viewer.

The boss/Director: He's an interesting old man. I never get tired of listening to him. He's full of wisdom and somehow can have empathy with creepy weird men. His reactions to what Megumi is up to each episode is a delight to watch and he's the only one we get to know a bit about his past.

As for dorama itself, each episode deals with a case. The cases are mostly pretty simple, but need some digging. My only complaint here is that many episodes become repetitive with a number of similar cases.

I found the music to fit perfectly with the dark mood and general ambience of the show.

Finally I need to mention, as a Tv Tokyo midnight time slot, it has more freedom to become more artsy as well as more racy then your usual dorama. Specially compared to your usual detective dorama, although this one has hardly anything similar to the usual detective dorama.

Shinsengumi!
Dec 28, 2016
Finally done! So relieved! It wasn't bad, just inconsistent. Some characters I liked throughout, some just annoyed me. In order to follow the tradition of making the hero infallible, to me, said hero seemed ineffective as a leader. I just don't like the way he's portrayed. I only liked his portrayal in the last episode. I don't mind how they showed other characters but it also really annoyed me how Kaishu Katsu was portrayed.

The music theme, the less we talk about it, the better.

Costume designs looked so cheap! The production was really bad. Action and fight scenes also weren't well choreographed. It would've been okay for another story, but this is the Shinsengumi!

In the end, the main problem is the focus. So much time was wasted on stuff I didn't care about. Is it really that important to see every step of how Kondo gets himself a 2nd wife? And why spend so much time on a character like Sutesuke that not only didn't matter for us the Viewers, but also nobody else gave him any importance, all the way to the end. He was just used (in very stupid ways) to get some things to happen.

Anyways I don't regret watching it but I don't recommend it. If you want to know more about the Shinsengumi, watch samurai movies like Until the Last Sword is Drawn or Twilight Samurai.

BORDER
Jun 10, 2014
It wasn't easy to rate because I feel this dorama has some constantly great things going for it going hand in hand with really bad ones

Story
The premise is nothing new. We've seen it just recently in a couple of korean dramas, and the concept was used countless times. However, this dorama approaches it in a totally different, obscure manner which I found refreshing. At the introduction, we got a detective who deals with his job in a pragmatic way because if he's not out catching criminals, he wouldn't be doing much else. Then he got this power, and the more we watch him, the more we see how its been affecting him and his emotional state. Some episodes were better than others, some episodes had more interesting "victims" than others. Overall the dorama didn't give me this attachment that I MUST watch the next episode as soon as its available, but kept me interested in the development of the main character. I gotta say it was more of a one man show, all the other characters didn't add much, and are just here to accompany our hero in his journey.

Acting
Oguri Shun is the star here, everything about his character development, his actions, the acting were near perfect. He might not be in my top 10 fave japanese actors (I don't have one yet lol) but he gave it his all here and you FEEL it. The rest of the actors weren't really given much, and honestly didn't do much with what they're given. Even the 2 geeks, though their presence was entertaining.

Music
I found the soundtrack a little too dramatic for my taste, but it fit the overall mood of the show.

Directing
I gotta say thats my favourite part of this dorama. That was a constant here. I loved the lighting and the dark colours used throughout the dorama. I love the mood it created. It added so much to the story, and though I didn't jump in to watch each episode, once I started 1, it engulfed me throughout the episode.

Finally, I found the ending fits perfectly with where the character was going, the story and its mood.

PS I don't put much on rewatch value, specially detective shows so ignore that :P

Long Vacation
Dec 4, 2016
It's a really good watch for someone wanting a good authentic 90s-type Japanese drama. Characters are shown much more down-to-earth and natural. I've said it before I'm no fan of Kimura Takuya, but I really liked him here. In his post 2k dramas he always gives me this "I'm so great feeling" which annoys me. It's different here, much more humble, and totally suits the role. Scene stealer though, was Takenouchi Yutaka !

The characters themselves were annoying most of the time. Minami never ceased to be annoying but at least she toned it down a bit after about a third into the drama. Sena is wishy washy for about 10 episodes of the drama. Ryoko is too childish and never grows, Momoko is just a convenience when the writer wants to get the characters from one place to another, never had a real depth. I liked Ru-chan but again she was ignored by the writer and most of the characters, except sometimes Sena. Even Shinji was hard to read as to what he wanted. I thought around episode 9-10 there was an interesting exploration of the character's relationship but then it got somehow dropped :S

So yea I felt the writing was lacking. I loved the choice of music but many times the editing was weird in the way it cuts the sound/music. It wasn't the typical effective way to show a change of mood or some shocking event, it felt just random.

I didn't really care much about the coupling I enjoyed watching the character interactions and I got plenty of that. The weirdest is the Shiji-Sena relationship, but I loved that the most. They're awkward and can't be real friends but they each have deep respect for the other (and probably envy) for different reasons.

Despite my criticism I enjoyed it, I felt genuine and relatable. It would've been a masterpiece if only the characters were given more depth, and the lead girl was less pushy and over intrusive :P

Home Drama
May 13, 2015
This drama was an emotional roller coaster. I went into it after read a portion of the synopsis

*In a house in the outskirts of Tokyo, there lives a family of eight. Such a large family is rare these days, however not one of them is related by blood.*

I did not read the rest so the first episode shocked me, but it also hooked me. In this drama, we meet nine individuals, of different background and diverse age, at their most vulnerable moment in their life. It was a moment where they had lost what was most precious for them in the world, and were left stranded. Some were at the point of reaching their dreams, while others had taken what they love for granted. That weakness I saw in the characters is what made me emotionally attached to them. I cared so much. Watching every episode transformed from enjoying a drama to watching over them, making sure they are fine, and that, somewhere, somehow, they can find happiness again. That is to what point I got attached.

The story itself is well thought out. It's very reflective of life, death, choices, and what is truly important. While it deals with such a heavy subject, it is very much a slice-of-life dorama, and watching it is more heartwarming than sad, hopeful than despairing, and gives you the most beautiful emotions. The dialogs however, can sometimes be preachy, but, being this connected with the family, the cheesy dialog becomes believable. The quality of the video I watched wasn't good, but the setting and the choice of music made it all fitting. And one of the most important aspect about it is having a satisfyingly perfect ending.

What I find that is most well thought out is how the characters were written, and the performance did not disappoint. Being character centric, there is a nice balance between uplifting bonding and the individual struggles. Society's cruelty is also exposed here, while people's kindheartedness, as little as it is, is well displayed. The drama carefully used many subtleties to give us hints, as well as effective revelations. I'm really glad how the attention was spread out. It isn't perfect. There are some stories that I wish were explored on a deeper scale, but at the very least, the writer made sure to touch up on them. Most of the drama time however, was used for family interactions, which is a lot of fun. I felt like joining them every single time.

I really want to add a comment on each of the family members, but I know if I start, it'll take me all night to write, and I don't think anyone would be interested to read a review that long :P

All I can say is, if you like slice-of-life dramas, family dramas, and emotional drama, that is one for you to check out. You won't end up watching a drama, you will end up meeting the most beautiful family. You will become their guest that refuses to leave.

Office Girls
Oct 23, 2014
This drama isn't the most outstanding but it isn't bad either. I found it had more good going for it than bad/boring. Specially if you compare it to today's Taiwanese dramas, which for me was too cartoonish, and unrealistically annoying to watch, this one is pretty decent. Zi Qi and Xing Ren's growing relationship is the heart and soul of the show. I'd say Zi Qi's character specially and mostly because the growth you see in him is the most tangible. The rest of the cast varied from extremely funny to extremely boring.

The story may have had the rich boy meet poor girl, but what I love about it is, the poor girl was independent who has a dream and working hard in making it a reality without shame or whining about it or expecting anything from anyone. It's in line with her personality in keeping a low profile, from the way she dresses up to her interactions and the way she expresses her dream. She meets Zi Qi who's the total opposite in extravagance and spoil. The drama (I. e. his father) puts him in the same level as her in terms of wealth, and this sets their relationship off to a great start. At this point the drama becomes really the story of a bunch of employees working at the same firm. There is the annoying second lead girl, the bore to death second lead guy but somehow they just don't matter. Second lead guy was just written in such a boring way they they just resolved his issues fast and wrote him off. Second lead girl stayed to be the hated one but it doesn't frustrate me the way kdramas do, mainly because our lead's maturity with always facing reality and talking about what bothers them. Other characters I liked was the manager who at first came off as annoying but really grew on me. I specially loved his relationship with Zi Qi. They stay constantly hilarious throughout the whole drama. Another is Le Le who, at times may be annoying, but I love how upfront she was about everything. She didn't care who you were, she'll talk right back at you if you look down at her. The parents were kinda too perfect but the relationships felt genuine.

The story isn't perfect that'st for sure. There were some mistakes that we see Xing Ren do that I found unacceptable with her experience and how she was place in the beginning of the drama as hard working. Zi Qi becoming was too perfect in the last few episodes. His mother magically changing suddenly, and I felt there was a backstory about her that they kinda dropped and decided not to follow.

Acting wise, to no one's surprise Roy Qiu is the star here. From comedy to growth to subtle romance, he's got full control on all. Patrick Li was also amazing in comedy I would laugh in every scene he's at. It's my first time seeing Alice Ke but she did her role justice to say the least. The actrice that plays the role of Mandi was also funny. This drama is maybe Tia Li's best role. She's not great here, but I think being evil suits her more than being good :P

I loved some of the songs used in there specially the song Wanna Fly in Free Fall the guitar playing in that song is addicting :D

Overall a very enjoyable drama.

Yorozu Uranaidokoro Onmyoya e Yokoso
Sep 29, 2014
Let me just say, my main reason for watching this dorama, and the enjoyment I got from it isn't because of the actors or the story per se, but it was mostly atmosphere of myths inspired by shintoism, superstition and stories of the neighbourhood's simple people. That was the main attraction to me that was what I enjoyed most. The story itself is in episodic format which is something I don't mind watching on a weekly basis though I had to watch WAY longer than a week until it got subbed but it was also easy to pick up after a break ;)

The main characters were well casted more or less. This is the first role of Nishikido Ryo that I actually liked. I also think he has an attractive voice when he talks so I didn't mind his "reverse preaching" :P (no I don't follow his music). Kurashina Kana may appear overbearing at first but grows on you. I also found Chinen Yuri okay for the role and don't have much complaints. I like the interactions between the 3 and their relationship and trust that grows over the course of the series. As usual, affection was hinted between Shomei and Michiko but nothing substantial that's been followed through. I would've loved it if they had explored it instead of just hinting it. It would've been fun because their interactions in general is plenty of fun.

Another role I feel that I have to mention is Michiko's grandpa. He doesn't get involved much in the stories each episode but somehow has such a strong presence that you feel the drama wouldn't have been the same without him. The other regulars were mostly there to add more noise and over acted A LOT but it somehow felt appropriate. One of them I liked a lot is Shunta?'s mom. She has this motherly figure sweetness without letting go her her immaturity and silliness.

A light drama that doesn't take itself seriously but bundles a mystical atmosphere and fun characters and comes out with an entertaining and inspiring outcome.

Go Lala Go
Sep 21, 2015
Movie, in short, about women balancing romance and career.

This movie has a lot of pros, including the professionalism seen here, people actually dedicating their life and time to work. The relationship also proceed in a natural and realistic manner. I also loved the way they use the heroine's wardrobe, specially her shoes, to symbolize where Lala is in her career. She starts with plain semi-classic/casual clothes, and flat ballerina shoes, and with heels growing at every promotion. I do wonder sometimes, the things we see them wear at work wouldn't be permissible where I live, so is it alright in china, or is it just for the sake of appearing all glowy in the movie? In any case it was used to great effects.

I just felt that the movie was missing something, as if I was just watching people going on with their lives without really being invested or caring. It felt cold.

There is one thing that I felt removed the realism of the movie, which is that "company rule" that is obviously meant to be broken. It's just weird that they actually took it so seriously.

I have no complaint about the acting, all did a decent job.

The music didn't draw my attention in any way.

Overall decent movie, with intelligent characters, facing our everyday difficulties of life. Although I doubt it is that easy to quadruple your salary within a couple of years...

Mulan
Feb 4, 2015
This movie tells the story of Mulan, who disguised herself as a male to take the place of her sick father in battle. The main focus of this movie isn't about a woman becoming a soldier, it is about what war does to us humans, and the sacrifices done to minimize the loss of life, and protect what we believe in. This movie is about human emotions. Ironically, the characters here make it a point not be emotional. before watching the movie, I was wondering why is the movie poster so somber and grim, why can't we watch Mulan's complete face. Now I ca appreciate how appropriate it is, bringing out the movie's theme and sentiment.

The movie is pretty fast paced. The introduction of characters doesn't take long, and is straight forward, but shows enough charisma for us to care about them, and enough chemistry that you get taken by their feelings and brotherhood. It's my second time seeing Vicki Zhao, after Red Cliff. She's very different here. Her character here is solemn and serious. She isn't trying to impress anyone, or show off what girls can do. She starts off a fresh face, but we see her age and mature, her face worn out and exhausted. As for Kun Chen, it was my first time seeing him and boy was he swoon worthy! He had so much chemistry with Vicki Zhao that, they can be in a battlefield surrounded by people and blood, but you feel their intimacy and affection.

The story does require some suspension of disbelief though. It is just too hard to believe that all though of Vicki Zhao as a man. Not only her looks, but her voice too is very feminine. Overall I liked the direction, the cinematography, but some scenes were cut too abruptly when we wanted to see more of what is going on. The use of flashback and explaining to us what is going on was annoying. I was thinking "enough telling, more showing". So we didn't get much war strategy and different methods of fighting. The focus was the sentiment and the outcome. The music was appropriate, though not too varying.

If you are looking for a movie about humanity and the harshness war, a movie with strong leads, chemistry, and subtlety then this is the right movie for you. If you're looking for war strategies à la Redcliff and a more entertaining feeling, you may be (just a little bit) disappointed. If you are also looking for this great romance historical movie, this definitely is not it. I leave you with my favourite quote of the movie:

- There are no heroes on the battlefield, only dead men and crazy ones -

Lesson of the Evil
Jan 7, 2015
Some movies you already know how you feel about them while watching, while others, you need time to have it sink in and truly appreciate it. For me, Lesson of Evil was the latter case. It could be because I generally avoid gore, though I don't like to consider myself faint of heart. I had trouble rating this movie right after watching, my mind was all over the place by the time I finished it.

I was actually more or less okay with gore because it wasn't that much, but it was very bloody, which doesn't bother me. What bothered me was the story. Honestly, I just didn't know what the movie was trying to tell me, or if it was trying to say anything, and I still don't. With that said, there is a lot to say about the gripping directing, keeping me all the way to the end while I knew early on that the story wasn't for me. Talking about directing, we need to mention the pacing, the colours used, and the music, coming together in perfect harmony with the world we are being led to.

The movie starts at a slow pace, and the pace gets picked up a little at a time, until the second half when things started happening at a much faster rate. We start in an apparent peaceful setting, where the danger starts creeping onto you without noticing. The colour used were pretty depressing, highlighting an apparent mundane life. That is until the bloody red colour starts taking over and making everything more lively, secret start getting revealed, and death everywhere. All this while listening to placed The Ballad of Mack the Knife. The lyrics were so the appropriate and the music so engrossing I felt I was being brainwashed. It really sets the tone of the scene.

Last but CERTAINLY not least, the acting. Of course the most prominent role here is that of Ito Hideaki. Lets just say I will NEVER be able to look at him the same way again. He had this detached feeling to him, no matter how nice he was and how much I wanted to trust him at the beginning. The way he's unflinched by anything at all was the scariest of all. Other then him, there were a number of adult actors but they weren't outstanding. The outstanding ones were the students. Each of them was distinguishable to say the least. Oh but I hated the white guy in the show. I don't maybe because his lines here so cheesy? Well he did look creepy but many times he felt out of place.

Do I recommend this movie? I'm still not sure, all I can say is, while watching it, the feeling of hopelessness kept growing more and more, that anyone can put an end to this hell.

A Story of Yonosuke
Sep 29, 2014
My impression of this movie is pretty complicated. I enjoyed most of it because it had though unusual characters but highly relatable. I liked seeing this coming of age and dealing with students at the university level which isn't too common (we usually either deal with high-schoolers or working people) at an interesting setting.

Choosing it to be set in the late 80s or 90s bring this nostalgic feeling with it. It is a time where people were pretty outgoing, but before the technology where it feels that people were more hopeful and had more dreams. We do meet the character's older selves that may have lost that magic just carrying on. It could be because of age but could also be because of the era. The setting and characters made me enjoy the me enjoy the movie and not notice one thing until after finishing two thirds of the movie. The movie did not have a story. We are not told why were visiting Yonosuke's life at that timing. It's not about accomplishments and what not, but even though the movie was a bit too long, it felt like the ending was incomplete. It was more like watching the first 3 episodes of a drama then watching the last scece of the last episode, wondering what happened in between and how did this lead to that.

Seeing as what attached me wasn't the story, it was mostly the characters. They were fun and acting was top notch from all. Kora Kengo was pure delight and seeing Ikematsu Sosuke (Shingai!!) is such a different role was a surprise. Ayano Go's character was the silliest because he took himself too seriously which cannot be done when Yonosuke's around :P

In the end, the movie was entertaining for the most part but felt like it took me nowhere and the ending left me unsatisfied.

Wu Xia
Nov 18, 2014
I want to start by saying I really enjoyed that movie overall. The acting was topnotch, the action reawakened my love for the genre (it's been dormant for a long while now, after series of dull action movies), and the movie is engaging. Yen Donnie and Kaneshiro Takeshi had nice chemistry. Their scenes together were most amusing.

However, the movie had many aspect that kept it from being outstanding in my view. First of all I felt the movie had an identity crisis. It wouldn't settle for one and go through to the end. The first half was purely a scene investigation done brilliantly and, as a mystery junky, I was totally absorbed by it. During the end of the first half, it started leaning towards horror type which, though not my type, I understand that many mystery use it to add more thrill. Then suddenly, just half way through, all the secrets get revealed and nothing is left to be uncovered. It becomes a pure action movie. The problem here is, instead of incorporating the two genre in a complementary way, it felt that the just pasted to together, without mixing it at all. At that point, all the character development and exploration gets thrown out the window.

Another thing I cannot get over is the music here. Overall I mostly enjoyed how sound and music has been used here. That is except for one scene. It marked the beginning of the action sequence and starts with this guitar soundtrack. It only lasted seconds but it was a mood destroyer.

One last complaint is the death of one of the characters in the end. I wonder if I was supposed to laugh but that is what I did. I laughed at it though, not with it.

Again, despite my complaints I was delighted to watch this movie. Well my delight was mostly to watch Kaneshiro Takeshi but neither him nor Yen Donnie disappoint.

;)

Hospitality Department
Sep 18, 2014
This movie felt like a promotional movie, which wouldn't be a bad thing if they were subtle about it. A lot of times it felt like watching a documentary, the dialogs aren't impressive and pretty preachy. This movie is pretty slow thats for sure but somehow it didn't feel draggy. It's probably for the side characters, mainly Kiyoto-san's family that managed to spice things up, otherwise the rest is dull.

I like Funakoshi Eiichiro here. He's the only character that felt natural and is playing a cool character ahead of its time. The rest was pretty standard. This movie motivates more to look up Kora Kengo movies :P For that reason I don't feel that I wasted my time watching this movie.

The music.. I didn't notice it AT ALL!

I don't really recommend for any value that I found in the movie, but if you are a fan of any of those actors, it's worth the watch ;)

ST Aka to Shiro no Sousa File
Sep 29, 2014
This drama is about a team called Scientific Task-force, ST for short. The members are eccentric and have difficulty dealing with others on a professional and personal manner. They either hide from dealing with others, or cannot hold back any negative thought. In the case of Akagi, it's both. This dorama is actually a prequel to a 2013 special, so better watch it before watching this ;)

This drama had a lot of issues that I couldn't ignore, but I still enjoyed watching each episode on a weekly basis. I did not regret watching this and found it entertaining. It was more like cotton candy, that's sweet and fun to eat, but disappears quickly. You still have a faint sweet taste left in your mouth but nothing much and not for long.

On a more detailed analysis, while Scientific is in the title, we hardly deal with science. The most we get is some profiling. The dorama is typically episodic and cases vary. In order to make ST standout, instead of making complicated and require exceptional smartness to solve, they just really dumbed down the whole police force. For that reason most aren't that memorable to be honest. I remember one case where the evil guy admitted when really all they had was circumstantial evidence. What irritated me most was how the ST members were childish, and them acknowledging it was not enough, their behaviour was unacceptable that it was hard to suspend my disbelief

Acting vary from pretty good to alright. I felt that most other characters were just too young for the role, or to even be taken seriously. It felt more like they were playing pretend. We didn't get character development from all the team members, maybe 2 or 3, and the rest was their to fill space. We also had some other members of the police force where we get interaction with the characters which I found most entertaining but nothing too deep.

Okada Masaki is a sweetheart even though his character is a complete moron lol. It may be my first time seeing Fujiwara Tatsuya but I liked him here. He and Okada had great chemistry. I enjoyed their interaction and their scenes together were fun to watch. Hayashi Kento not only was he misplaced age wise, he also totally UNDERUSED. I still liked his interaction with Okada, but wished he was more forceful but they completely mellowed him down compared to the SP. Another underused actor was Watabe Atsuro who, after seeing in Bitter Blood thought he can do much more interesting and entertaining roles than he's offered.

The story isn't done yet, a movie will be coming up soon. The episodic format makes it that you don't really need to retain anything for the movie, so you don't really need to wait until the movie is available to watch the whole thing.

All in all, easy to watch without much commitment, entertaining but too silly.

Unforgiven
Oct 19, 2015
I'll keep it short

This movie it a remake of a 1992 american movie of the same name, in a Japanese historical setting. I have not seen the original, but I've seen a couple of western style movies. This version felt closer to being a western than in did to being a historical Japanese story. The character and their actions felt more similar to that of a western story than Japanese. That in itself is neither good or bad, just an observation, and to set expectations right. The story itself is pretty predictable. One of the disadvantages of remaking an older movie, in my view, is that what felt new back then feels completely predictable and recycled today, even if it's a solid story. The same can be said about the music. It was just the usual, borderline boring, and nothing memorable

About the acting, I found it outstanding, from the whole cast, no exception. Even that girl playing a prostitute who's protective of her fellow girls, she only had a couple of lines but her looks were killer. They said so much. The male actors are most known, but as I said, all did great, from leading role to the smallest.

The setting itself felt like a fusion of a western town and a Japanese setting. I love the snowy setting, it felt like it connected so much with how the characters were feeling at that moment. And overall it was beautiful to look at.

Overall solid, though predictable story, with great performance which itself is worth checking out.