• Location: The princess's road

BrightestStar

The princess's road
Confessions
Jul 4, 2014
While watching this movie, I got so absorbed in it I was unaware of my surroundings. Just when I thought I lost my interest in revenge stories, this movie wakes it up again. It also explore how society deals with its kids, specially at that difficult age.

The story is simple. A teacher's daughter gets killed, and the culprit are her students. She teaches them a vicious lesson, one they might never get up from, and they will certainly not forget.

Ignorance is when you think you know it all. Thats why teenagers tend to be ignorant and look down on adult. I liked that she managed to show them who's boss. But in doing so, you feel that she lost her humanity. She didn't teach them out of care, she hates them but just doesn't want that crime to be forgotten. The children themselves, their thirst for attention blinds them from the crimes they do. They have no conscience at all. To be look up to as cool, they take it on the weaker, like cowards. It reminds me of an essay I read some time before where it says that children are more dangerous than adult, because they have no morality. They can do the worst of crimes and not realize its atrocity. Basically when they do those kind of crimes, they should be punished like adult and face the consequences.

The acting from Matsu Takako was top notch. I specially liked Kaoru Fujiwara;s acting her. The cast is generally great. Okada Masaki's character was plain annoying, because he was meant to be lol.

I loved LOVED the direction here. The use of flashbacks, the skip from one flashback to another (as if watching an old family video) during conversations and monologues, the lighting and effects, the colours of them moving, was used effectively and perfectly. I think its what made the movie stand out and what absorbed me in that movie. The music used is no exception, setting the mood perfectly.

As a psychological thriller, it carries the task perfectly without being a burden to watch. You're never thinking "I just want to know the ending of it". It might not be to everyone's taste, but Its definitely worth the watch ;)

Memories of the Sword
May 29, 2016
This isn't really a wuxia movie or action movie. Though the action is done great, this movie is mostly a tragedy-revenge-romance that fits well with the setting chosen to portray the story. As someone who despise sappy romance drama, this one just hit the right notes.

I won't talk about the action and cinematography much, just say it was stunning. If China is best at portraying colours in their wuxia, S. Korea is great at using different seasons to depict it. This type of experience is what differentiate watching movies from watching dramas.

Acting: great on all fronts. I was initially no big fan of Lee Byung Hun but he really commands the scenes he's in, from the first time we meet him. First time seeing Jeon Do Yeon and she was great. Seeing Kim Go Eun again is a treat and she never disappoints. You don't feel that she's acting with other big stars she's just immersed into the role. The rest of the cast fit their roles as well.

The story itself is nothing new, starting with betrayal the revenge that follows. The extend to which the character was willing to go for revenge it insane. It's really hard to judge it.

What attracted me most and kept my attention is the complicated characters and the disturbing love story. Deok Ki is corrupted and disgusting in every way, yet his love is so real and pure. As illogical it is, I just totally bought it. Same goes for Sul Rang, that carried true hatred towards him, leading to an insane revenge plan, yet wishing she could forgive him. This is the type of intense crazy romance I totally enjoy watching. There's something so raw and desperate about it. Hong Yi went through many phases in the movie, but I just love her in the last fighting scene, cold yet emotionally intense! Her side love story however was a bore, with typical kdrama cliché that I totally could've done without. Still it didn't remove anything from my enjoyment, it just wasn't too logical. However I find the main leads' love story also illogical but I totally buy it and believe it.

After finishing the movie I read many comments complaining about the movie calling it a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon copy. While I agree it alludes to it, the movie stands on its own telling its own story. Definitely worth a try.

Date - Koi to wa Donna Mono Kashira
Apr 4, 2015
This was one hilarious drama! The premise itself is unusual, and sometimes hard to swallow. A rigid woman who never fell in love wants to get married and a hikikomori is looking for another woman to leach off because his mother is getting older. The drama follows their story as they decided to date and if all goes well, then get married. Of course it never goes well and it is not an easily attainable goal. More than just the couple, their family and closest friends are all involved in the process. What we get here is a fun, endearing, entertaining, uncommon romantic comedy that brings you to unexpected places. We end up exploring a question that is strangely not that often explored: What is love. The drama doesn't leave us hanging and does show us it's own interpretation of it. Whether it is true or it is left up to each viewer and their experience with love.

What differentiated this rom-com from other is its characters. Starting with Higashide Anne as Yabushita Yoriko. She is a girl obsessed with numbers and with things being exact.She pre-schedules everything and always needs to plan ahead anything she needs to be done. She's already set with her life and is inflexible even with the most mundane things. I find that she has a big heart and emotions, she just deals with things practically so can easily be viewed as heartless. Then there is Hasegawa Hiroki as Taniguchi Takumi who's treated as a NEET by all though he prefers a different title on himself. He refuses to work and just want someone and his view of women and emotions is unrealistic and comes from books and movies. He can easily be perceived as a loser, but somehow we start to understand him and the reason behind him becoming a hikikomori. Despite such odd personalities they had such a great chemistry. I loved each and every scene they had, and their conversations are always most fun to watch. Seeing them go through each hurdle that may be normal for most people with their particular views is part of the fun.

Other than the leads, we have many secondary characters. Nakajima Yuto as the innocent Washio as a delight. He is a sensitive young lad who cannot accept our leads' point of view on love and marriage and wants to prove them differently. He also has ulterior motive, and has such a sweet heart. Kuninaka Ryoko playing the cool Kaori is my favourite role for her. She kicks ass, she's cute, and she talks like a yankee XD. Her brother Sotaro played by Matsuo Satoru is maybe the most hilarious of all. He also is the one that makes things move when people are being in denial and refuse to move forward. Then there's the parents.
I really love Takumi's mother with her nature of not taking anything seriously. She does hide her pain behind a façade but she is very strong and doens't deny neither her weaknesses nor her son's. Yoriko's dad is also a sweetheart. He only wants his daughter to be happy. It is heartwarming how he accepts her the way she is. Another highlight is Yoriko's mom. There are many ways we can interpret her character but she always says the most hurtful things everyone want to ignore. For sure her mother has a big impact on her life and has Yoriko constantly competing with her.

So overall it was a great drama. It has an unconventional romcom with many interesting chararters and excellent performance. It may not be for someone who expect a romantic story despite the title. If you like light comedies and different themes about love, then that is your drama.

Gassoh
Nov 19, 2016
I loved this movie! I understand it won't appeal for everyone though. This isn't some sort of heroic story, nor doomed romance, nor about revolution. These themes are explored, but it's mainly and mostly about the state, the condition of the country at that point in time. It's about youth distortion and chaos.

The film opens with a peculiar scene. Masanosuke (Seto Koji) gets home and realizes his shoes are wet. He accidently stepped into something disgusting with an off-putting smell. The next morning, he doesn't notice anything, however in the evening he can smell it again. He realizes something is rotten deep inside the house he was passing by. He can't clearly identify it.

We then follow three young men. One is driven by the old ways of thinking. He can't accept the upcoming change, and dreams of this heroic life probably similar to samurai stories he grew up listening to. He believes in his own grandeur and nothing else will move him. The second is all about revolution, change and movements. His mind and words are big, yet fails to capture anyone's attention. Finally there's the one indifferent to the cause, just following the tied, until he finds himself in something he can't comprehend, and with not enough resolve to follow through.

When the country is going through a state of uncertainty and distrust, those three representing different ends of the spectrum of the people in those times. So while it does represent Japan at this important time in history, but the story definitely transcends beyond its setting.

The acting doesn't disappoint, to say the least. Of course Yuuya Yagira dominates the screen in his strong presence, but the others came through when needed. Really enjoyed Okayama Amane's acting here. I'm not too familiar with Seto Koji, but he was perfect for the character he plays here. Odagiri Joe plays a supporting role but his presence was notable (& beautiful). Finally Kadowaki Mugi with her minimal presence manages to distinguish herself.

I also loved the direction and camera work. The colours used in the scenes, mostly dim, at times disturbing red, or the desolating blue, were effective in representing the mood and feeling of the characters and events. The shots were poingnant and gives us a perfect idea of the place of the characters in the whole picture. It's more symbolic than anything. In any case, the combination results in this painting full of hope and anguish. It's relentlessly beautiful.

There is so much I appreciate about this movie, but it definitely isn't one easy to recommend. I'd say if you are interested in, not that period of Japanese history, but the mental state it was in, you'll definitely enjoy it. If you're looking for a movie about extravagant heroism, this isn’t the movie for you. If you are a fan of any of the main cast, chances are you'll enjoy the movie for the acting at least, just set your expectations right. Happy Watching :D

ON Ijou Hanzai Sousakan Todo Hinako
Sep 15, 2016
Drama might not appeal to all but definitely did to me. The synopsis is pretty accurate in the description. Our Heroine Todo became a detective because she wants to discovery the boundary that turns some people into criminals. This whole exploration of the dark side of humanity is the main appeal for me, and the continuing conversations about this subject throughout the drama is what made me enjoy the drama.
Granted it didn't go as deep as I'd wanted to, and one of the best villains here felt like a copy of the villain in Siren, it was interesting nonetheless. As far as storytelling goes though, don't expect all to make sense, but just works out in the universe of the drama.

Todo is a pretty intriguing characters. I liked following her trail of thoughts as she makes the (obvious) connection between cases and follow her investigations on her own. What I enjoyed most is her personality. She's definitely one enjoyable to have around since she's agreeable for the most part, but there definitely is this invisible wall around her. Once through that wall, you may find something completely different than the impression she gives at first. Another intriguing character would be Nakajima. I enjoyed most the conversations people have with him. I thought it was only his conversations with Todo that interest me, but even around others like Shoji, he never ceases to be interesting.
Honestly though other than Todo, Nakajima, and sometimes the Queen of death, none of the other characters were remotely interesting, and were there to fill space and add on the usual tropes.

If more depth and screentime was given to all the characters, and whole police were not made so dumb, it would've been one of the greatest dramas. I mean how could you call yourself a detective when you're incapable of making such simple connection. Also the way Shoji does his investigation is just such a sloppy way to portray! Everyone else was useless. Well the forensic department also had its moment.

As for the cast, casting Hayashi Kento was the BEST thing they did. He really carried the drama for me. I didn't like Haru much but I warmed up to her here. I always enjoy Watabe Atsuro on my screen but felt underused. Still he had quirky personality traits. Harada Mieko was a welcome addition to the team and her scenes her fun. First time watching Yokoyama Yu and OH MAN HE WAS ANNOYING! A total grumpy ojisan! And it doesn't help that he looks SO MUCH younger than his age. The rest of the cast aren't worth mentioning. Except the guest role actors, like Mamiya Shotaro, left an impression as well.

Quality wise, I'd give it 6-6.5 rating. However when factoring in my enjoyment I had of it I had to boost it up.

Drinking Solo
Oct 27, 2016
Overall entertaining, and gave me great laughs.

I went in for the theme. The idea of having time for your own, to do things alone and enjoy that time fully. It is something that is important to me, and here they exploit it perfectly. The way prof Jin enjoyed his *drinking solo* felt like he was my kindred spirit.

I think the best thing about this drama is that screen presence was evened out among the cast. It isn't just the main love story and those that surrounds it. We have a setting, and we explore the different lives and experiences of those involved there. The setting is an institution that gives classes for people who want to pass the civil exam and be employed by the government. The drama tells us two different stories in that setting, that of the teachers there (pretty similar to typical romcoms) and that of the students and the things they do cause by the pressure.

I won't rehash what everyone is saying, but I agree the trio were hilarious. First time I watch Key in a drama, but really he was effortlessly the heart of it. My favourite was Kim Dong Yeong, I could relate to him the most. He felt the most realistic person there, naturally down to earth, and a total sweetheart. I gotta add I totally enjoyed all the scenes of the impersonator, he was pure fun. As for the other teacher, she wasn't bad, but too petty for an extended period of time. The director was hilarious as well. I actually wished for him to divorce since he seems so miserable with his current life.

For me it lost points on

-Inefficiency: Not only were the episodes long, but there were many dragged out scenes or events that are there to fill the time with no purpose of advancing the story. I think the drama would've benefitted being cut to 12 episodes

-The last 2 episodes: I do hate Noble Idiocy, but the was it was done here was the most nonsensical, to the point I didn't want the couple back together. And I actually was very forgiving of the lead, and maybe one of the few that found him cute while dating. Also the secondary couple were left out too last minutes. In the end they were cute, but it would've been better to explore the relationship better.

Despite my remarks on the pacing and the ending, I'd say it's still worth checking out for the laughs, as well as the heartfelt moments here.

p.s. I do wonder though is it normal for women to be this irresponsible when drinking outside this often?

Yume wo Ataeru
Apr 15, 2016
Enjoyable watch throughout with a strong cast. I guess wouldn't expect less when you have Kikuchi Rinko, Odagiri Joe, and Kaho among the cast. Even the foreign cast did pretty well.

About the topic, it really made me feel that Yuuko was being treated no more than a product. By everyone one even her mother. Specially her mother. Maybe the only one that always had Yuuko's well being in mind was hee father, but he didn't have enough strong of a resolve to go through with it. A part of me cannot blame him since being a foreigner there already puts him at a disadvantage.

The story mostly revolves around Mikiko who had big dreams but somehow settled for less in life when things didn't go well. However she couldn't find peace with it, and the moment a chance appeared, she decided to live her dream through her daughter. The drama shows effectively Yuuko's growth throughout the years. She started a pretty much happy-go-lucky girl but then the small problems that were growing deeper, the loneliness was burying her deeper, and the loss of innocence that made her darker. She was desperate for someone to confind into, but no one gave her the chance. "Act professional" is what they say. It's what her mother would say.

The direction here was great. I love the switch between showing the set vs showing what TV viewers were seeing. And the ending had a great effect as well.

Short watch, great performances, definitely worth to check out.

Nakuna, Hara-chan
Jun 12, 2015
Watching this drama did feel like a special experience. This drama isn't very conventional and it certainly isn't for everyone. The plot may appear simple, but after a while, you realize very deep thought behind it about existence and self-exploration. The premise itself isn't very usual. a character you draw comes to life and discovers "God"'s world. It might sound simple but it actually makes you realize of the little happiness in life that we take for granted.

One of the most interesting aspect for me is the setting. The manga world itself is set in cheap pub, while the setting of the humans is a small village with a small community. In many instances I wondered if that setting itself if part of someone else's work. For what we think is reality is someone else's fiction. The funny thing is, every time I wonder how things would go if this event happen, or that event happen, or when I try to interpret certain things, or think of a certain solution, the drama always tend to explore these question and give me an answer. Of course there is no definite answer, just a possibility and closure.

Another aspect is the way the characters are written. There was very careful attention given to many subtle details that define each character. On the human side there's the protagonist Echizen, who is filled with self-hatred and disappointment with the world. Her journey to self discovery and appreciation was slow, but every once in a while there was a huge step forward. Other than her there is her co-workers that each has an interesting personality. Yuriko was fun, playful and very attentive. Behind her happy-go-lucky facade there is a deep scar and regret. Kiyomi is also worth mentioning, or maybe I should call her Akuma. Always angry, she doesn't seem pleasant to be around at first, when in truth she is the most heartwarming of the human characters. She just hate it when people aren't being honest as she is, making it hard for her to open her heart. She challenges her Echizen all the time, probably seeing worth in her more than Echizen sees in herself. On the manga character side there is Nakuna of course. He's an emotional lad. Always expressing himself freely. He's extremely loyal and trusting, and as innocent as a child. I could say all his manga family has the same innocence for the same reason, but not all are this trusting. Each one of them is adorable with a distinct personality.

If I were to talk about the acting, they were perfectly casted to say the least. Most note worthy is Nagase Tomoya. That guy loves to overact, but it never bothers me because he knows which role to choose that makes overacting, if not just okay, but even demanded. Aso Kumiko was also perfect. She smiles a lot, but you can detect the forced from the genuine. Kutsuna Shiori has this gift of being a very lovely despiteful person. I'm telling you that's a gift. another noteworthy is a personal favourite of mine, Okunuki Kaoru as Yuki. She's elegant and wise, but so cute when clueless. Yasuda Ken appearing as a guest in an episode was the most touching.

Overall it was a nice, light, charming, sweet comedy with a lot of heart. The setting and light used makes it perfect watch while having an afternoon tea. It may not be for everyone's liking as some may find it boring and a bit over the top, but if you look deeply, you may find an, I'll bet well hidden, gem.

Suzuki Sensei
Oct 26, 2014
If I were to describe Suzuki Sensei in one word, it would be **Refreshing**. That is how I felt while watching it. As other reviewers mentioned, this isn't your typical school dorama. This drama is about open discussion and giving teenagers the chance to express their opinions, perspectives, assumptions and judgement without holding back and free of any restrain.

The story is about our titular character forming a class with chosen students to conduct an experiment. With that we meet his students, the class 2-A and the problems caused that he and other teachers have to deal with. It takes us quite a while to find out what the experiment is about but it does add a bit of a mystery to keep your attention close to whats going on. What is most interesting in what is addressed here is trying to define maturity. Society has set up a certain age to it but from the beginning onwards we do observe how maturity varies from one person to another. Suzuki Sensei's mindset, like most teachers, is not ideal that's for sure, but what distinguishes him from others is his awareness of middle schooler's intelligence and maturity, and his ability to treat them seriously.

On the acting department, oh boy isn't it stunning. It is Hiroki Hasegawa's best role, from his expressions when we hear his thoughts, to his composure when addressing a problem. What's most impressive though are the students. Karin Ono, Honoka Miki, Kaoru Fujiwara, Takumi Kitamura, Yukito Nishii, and Tao Tsuchiya to name a few. That generation sure has a bright future if given the chance. On the teachers side Yasuko Tomita sure was impressive, but generally all did a very decent job.

This drama isn't only for those who enjoy school dramas, it's for everyone. We all can relate to it because we all went through similar phases and looked for a safe place to express our thoughts. Maybe we are all looking for a similar place even now that we grew older so we join clubs or online sites such as MDL for that reason as well. What is discussed here are things that left me thinking about even after watching each episode. It isn't preachy at all and doesn't give us a definite answer which is the beauty of it. The characters and the acting makes it most entertaining to watch.

;)

Alice no Toge
Jun 23, 2014
I gotta say this one didn't do as great as I'd hope.

Story
We started with an interesting mystery but I just did not enjoy how it was handled. The first few episode never gave me the feeling that our lead girl was smart, but just that our villains at the beginning were too easy to take out. Later episodes had interesting villains, and thats when I felt that Mizuno wasn't up for it and was way in over her head, but it still kept me interested. The drama would've been better if they had ended it at episode 9, but they used what I'd call a cheap cliffhanger at the end of the episode, while many revelations in the last episode did not sit well with me. Its not because of how the story went, but more how it was handled and the reasoning behind it. Lets just say I wasn't happy with it.

Acting
Now that is why I watched this drama and why I was mad the drama wasn't well executed. Ueno Juri did great in that role. From the first moment she's onscreen she convinces she's to get people (though her actions aren't convincing :P). I don't think you can mix her with any other character she played before, she was a totally different person. Odagiri Joe on the other hand, Although I really liked, I felt he was restrained in that role. I guess I'm just used to him doing the craziest or weirdest role and this was waaaayy too tame for him. Iwaki Koichi and Kunimura Jun were excellent in their role. Nakamura Aoi was cute as always and fit the role perfectly. Even the cartoonish villains from the beginning were well acted just not added any depth. On that department I don't have any complaint.

Music & Art
I liked the music throughout the drama, the ending song and I love the alice in wonderland drawings they used but I actually never felt any connection with Alice's story and this drama. It just didn't add anything to the drama only a nice picture to look at, at the beginning of every episode.

Finally I don't give much attention to rewatch value since I rarely rewatch stuff. Also mystery dramas kind off lose most of their value after the first watch since you already know the end of it.

Overall I don't regret watching it because I enjoy the acting, but I just didn't like how the story when and how many scenes were executed. It did not feel genuine or unique.

Hope you enjoy the review & don't find it too harsh :P Its just how I felt about it ;)

Jun 26, 2014
This movie is all about the relationship between the son and his mom who's the sunshine in his life. The story is pretty simple, but executed so sweetly. It kind of emmerses you in that tale. Nothing is glamorized and all felt like watching people go about their everyday life and what they make of their decisions.

Acting wise watching Odagiri joe and Kiki Kirin was both heartwarming and painful at time. I first gotta say I find Odagiri so good looking here!! XD. Kiki Kirin is so amazing she's really the star here, with her lovely daughter (playing her younger self). I remember first watching her in Villain where she totally broke my heart and stle the whole movie for me so she already won me over. But here, specially once she comes to live in tokyo, you just feel all the joy she brings with her. And that source of her joy is her son. As for him, you love him for wanting her in his life so much. You love him for never feeling that he finds her a burden. I particularly love the scene in the poster, it speaks so much of their relationship! The dad character might've been a lousy husband, but you can't really hate him lol. As for the girlfriend, I just didn't feel it. I specially did not feel the honesty she's supposed to exhibit. But her character doesn't matter so who cares :P

This movie is pretty long and slow-paced. The movie is about 20 min over the 2 hours but though I didn't find it short but I felt satisfied with the ending. I felt that I didn't need more or less. Not for everyone, but if you're an Odagiri Joe fan, if you like heartwarming stories, slow paced slice of life, I think chances re you'll like it.

Kill Me, Heal Me
Mar 14, 2015
I actually needed to think for a while until I decided on the rating. There are things that brought me so much enjoyment in this drama, so many screencaps spamming my mdl friends with (I apologize couldn't help myself:D) but there are some things that annoyed me as well, or that I didn't enjoy, or found useless, or even wished it was written out of the story, even if that would shorten it to a 12 episodes drama.

There is two sides to the story. There is your typical chaebol family with their problems and struggle to inherit the company, then there is also the side of the character dealing with a multiple personality disorder meeting a cheerful normal girl, who belongs to a cheerful normal family. The way that lovely family is so perfectly portrayed, and how fun it was to have them on screen, makes me wonder why koreans are so obsessed with chaebol stories. In any case when I look at it in that sense, the story isn't original at all, and I find the disorder was used as a trope rather than being the central key to the story. The reason is, we don't see any real treatment to it, though we do deal with the past, but realism wasn't what the drama was going for. That did not bother me because it made the characters of this drama original, changing the dynamic this drama would've taken otherwise.

The acting is what elevated this drama, made it not only watchable, but one of the most anticipated dramas for me this season. I am ashamed to admit it is my first time watching a Ji Sung drama, and oh boy, saying I'm impressed is an understatement. His distinct portrayal of each personality striking. He had full control of the look in his eyes, his voice, and every nerve forming his facial expression. Then there is Park Seo Joon who is also my first time seeing. He is one of the best his generation, and I'm pretty sure his future is already set. As a loser son, as an amazing brother, as a mysterious writer, and a haunted individual with a bit of darkness, he depicted so many sides of his character you'd this he's the one with the disorder lol. Hwang Jung Eum might've understandably annoyed many viewers but she didn't bother me. I think it's because her character is so frank that I can forgive anything. I liked her in the serious scenes more though. The actors playing Ri Jin and Ri On's parents were also fun, and very natural in their role. Specially the mom always expressing her love, fear, expectations and pride through her facial expression. Choi Won Young as secretary Ahn was also fun. his role was straightforward that I don't think he was required anything more, but he did manage his comedic moments throughout and that I appreciate. Last but not least, the children were also really good in their role. As for the rest of the cast, they might've been good but I didn't notice, because I didn't care and mostly was skipping their scenes. Thankfully the actors/characters mentioned above were onscreen mostly.

I really appreciate the direction here, many things were handle impressively, but some things started annoying me later on in the series. I like the effects used, when blurring the line between reality and illusion. I also really love the effective use to light here. I think it helped Ji Sung in portraying his characters. Basically each of the personalities had a specific light and colours used, emphasizing on their character but sublte enough to not disturb the whole scene. The choice of music was also great and effective, especially that theme song ?? (Auditory Hallucination). I do have a complaint though with this department. The amount of flashbacks used in the last 6 episodes could fill two complete episodes. The same goes with the dragged out scene of a brooding character for the sake of finishing the song. It felt really inefficient and draggy. I am happy that they used this way to drag out the episodes instead of using writing unnecessary events to drag out the story. Still I would prefer that a drama cuts out everything that makes it boring and draggy.

As for the ending, it's hard for me to say if I was overall satisfied or not. The part that I fully enjoyed in the story had a well written and extremely satisfying ending, the side that I didn't enjoy had an even worse ending.

I put a high rewatch value only because I think it'll be fun to go back and watch the personalities of Ji Sung and watch Ri On and Ro Jin bicker, although I wouldn't attempt the whole drama a second time.

To summarize my thoughts, the story itself is actually is actually generic, while the themes and tropes used are original. The main characters are different, written with depth and insight and the acting was through the roof. It was highly entertaining and did not let the melo side drag it down.

Golden Bowl
Jan 8, 2015
When just reading the synopsis, the first thought that comes to mind is: this isn't my type of drama. I don't watch sports drama, I find them too predictable and repetitive. I don't watch any older-female younger male romance drama, I usually find the romance too forced. I certainly don't watch dramas about affairs, because I don't sympathize with those relationship. With that said, I loved every bit of that drama, with the way they bring all those genre and spin them together to produce such an engaging drama. I would first and foremost credit it to the writing. It is smooth, every episode is easy to watch, and at the end of each episode you want more.

Sports here is used as a way to connect people. The outcome of every episode is predictable, but the last bowl always manages to have enough stake to capture your attention. I like that each episode introduces a split, that is generally related to our bowlers' lives, and the way to beat it. The last episode's bowl was the one time I thought, - nah, this time there won't be too much pressure whether the hero wins the match - until they put all the stakes of the world on it, captivating me and having pray with all the rest of the character that he wins.

As for the romance, it started pretty subtly. The leads had this frank beautiful friendship. They bicker a lot, and they don't shy from mentioning the other's fear, forcing each other to not run away and face their problems. Their conversations, especially those they have during the game are most entertaining and engaging. As things started getting more intense later, that friendship, and those frank conversations continue throughout the drama. Those two were people where the presence of one of them makes the other one a better person. As for the affaires here, the drama neither ignores how wrong it is, nor paints those engaged in those relationships are completely bad or evil. I liked the way it is approached.

I have to say what made this drama more enjoyable is the number of different characters making part of the whole bowling center and those visiting on a daily basis. The prostitute and the bar tender had a sweet side story that you can't help route for. The workers grew on me, and the perverted owner was most entertaining. I think my favourite though is Yakuza who challenges them every week. Not only does he help bringing everyone together (against him) but the way he present himself each episode, with a new song sung by him and his lackeys, is exceptional.

All this wouldn't have been that great if we didn't have such an amazing cast. Leading here is the reason behind me watching this drama, Kaneshiro Takeshi. He's so charming here, and beautiful. Every word he utters sends me dancing with excitement. Especially when says french and english words - Oui, Madame - Oh yeah! - Yea baby - Jesus - I melt! As for the female lead, Kuroki Hitomi is 13 years his senior!! She was already 42 when the dorama first aired. However her character was so cute, fun, full of life, and badass when he plays bowling. The chemistry between the two was nothing short of phenomenal. I haven't seen that often in japanese dramas in recent years so I miss it. The rest of the cast were fun and on spot, at worst they were serviceable.

The theme song used is very dramatic but somehow blends well with the drama.

This drama is a must watch for anyone who wants to watch a drama that has engaging characters, sizzling chemistry, fun and smartly written script, directing that merges all the themes seamlessly and Kaneshiro Takeshi fans. I think this type of drama can be entertaining for the majority of people if given the chance.

Petero no Souretsu
Nov 12, 2014
I just want to start by saying this is an excellent dorama. ! We have an intriguing mystery blended in the drama with a great showcase of human emotions, mainly the human weakness. The theme of this season is as mentioned in the title about Saint-Peter being the symbol of repentance. Sugimura would say we all are Peter, as in we can mend our ways and start anew. As a sequel, this season is superior on many levels. The first season covers two separate mysteries while this one covers only one mystery extensively. The case affects many of the characters' lives more than the previous ones ever did.

Acting is another aspect that is superior season as well. They all not all exceptional actors, but each did their character justice at the most needed moments. This season is more dramatic that's for sure. We actually have a vast cast here and the show manages to give us just enough to look into most of the characters. Many characters subtly proceeds in some unexpected way.

The aspect that is constant and exceptionally brilliant is music. That piano soundtrack carries your emotions swiftly from one scene to the next.

I've got so much to say but I don't want to say more because it is the type of drama that is better to dive in like I did, without even reading any synopsis. The only thing I knew about it was that it is Namonaki Doku's second season. One thing I have to disclose is that this drama can be very slow paced. Each episode has many actions happening, but in a more laid-back way which many may it find to slow.

That is all for now so I just want to end it using my favourite quote from the whole drama.

- Everything that ends is a genesis for the next event. -

Black President
Oct 26, 2014
This dorama was fun from beginning to end. What made it fun is non other than Sawamura Ikki. He is a genuis and hilarious here and I could literarily listen to him for days non-stop and still enjoy it. It's his extreme expressions and not hiding behind pretty words. That is also the difference between overacting and acting a characters that is overly expressive. Overacting is silly and predictable, at worst annoying but here it's it's amusing and unpredictable, constantly bring a smile to my face and makes me laugh at times.

The idea is pretty hilarious. Our black prez, an eccentric CEO of a company decides to go attend university to take out his stress on stupid students. As someone who studied business and found something completely different in the real world, I can't help join him in his amusement in making fun of the system. Of course the story does get preachy at times, we didn't see much business concept and those we saw were pretty basic. Even so all this didn't bother because, again, thanks to the character and how he's being performed.

Other characters did bring things to the table and added more fun. One which is his teacher befriending his secretary, women putting their heads together trying to predict him. The students and his interactions are the most interesting and entertaining. The need of guidance and the generation gap are nicely portrayed. It is also nice to see a dorama about university, it's activities and student worries at that stage in life. Another amusing factor is his family that didn't add much to the story but did bring warmth which was cute.

The acting department doesn't disappoint but I have to admit Sawamura Ikki kinda overshadows most. That is except Kadowaki Mugi who's unusual but endearing character is charming.

To summarize it's a entertainint light drama that I think many will find something they'd enjoy.