The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Location: Los Angeles, CA
  • Join Date: October 27, 2016

QAS

Los Angeles, CA

QAS

Los Angeles, CA
Eternal Love
Mar 17, 2017
Ten Miles Peach Blossoms is a rare drama phenomena of the early 21st century.  Modestly produced, this fantasy romance costume drama became a sleeper hit.  It is ultimately the love story between a TV drama and the Chinese viewers and international viewers across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

Story: 8.0
The love stories and the characters and the oustanding cast touch the heart.  The emotional pull of the story and creative plot transcend culture and language. When subtitles can draw tears of sorrow and joy, the actors, directors and the scriptwriter have done a very effective job.

Acting Cast 8.5;
Mark Chao was destined to play twin gods, Ye Hua and Mo Yuan.  He demonstrated his range of acting skills, and gained a very large fanbase across the oceans.
Yang MI revealed her acting range with the three distinctive entities, Si Yin, Bai Qian and Su Su.
Maggie Huang and Zhu Xudan were convincing as the psychotic, obsessive, delusioned antagonists, Su Jin and Xuan Nu, respectively.
The young actors, Hummer Zhang (A-Li), Huang Tianqi (Fire Qilin), Zhang Youhao (Mi Gu), and Little Zhao Ge character, ultimately stole the show.

Music: 7.5
The OST is very good. The main love ballad, Liang, Liang, was overplayed in every episode, and in totality, it may have been heard  90 billion times (30+billion views * 3 times per episode).

Rewatch Value: 7.0
On a rainy day,  I might attempt to rewatch this drama,  but the second time time around, I would focus on my favorite characters, Ye Hua, Mo Yuan, Bai Qian/Si Yin/Su Su and Si Ming.

Overall Score: 8.0
The calibre of acting, writing, directing, editing, music composition, set design, and costume and hair design, is reflected in this cinematic masterpiece.
There were several draggy sections involving Li Jing,  Feng Jiu or Dong Hua. The plot could have been tighter, and very effective with 48 episodes instead of 58 episodes.

Stay With Me
Jan 8, 2017
I watched every episode until #20, but the erratic mood swings of Wei Wei and Yi Du, made me feel restless and listless. I switched to watching every five episodes until I reached the end of the line.

Story: 4.5
A love story/amnesia/revenge plot!  Too much, too little, too boring!
Wei Wei acted like a childish teenager, as she kept pursuing Yi Du, even though he treated her shabbily.
Yi Du was so trusting of his friend, who was his mortal enemy, yet he distrusted Wei Wei frequently, that I wanted to slap his head.
Mo Fan pursued a distorted revenge plot.
Huao Xiao, Wei Wei's best friend, became needy and manipulative.

The cast did a very good acting job.
Joe Chen and Wang Kai looked very attractive as Wei Wei and Yi Du respectively, but their characters were not endearing.
Zhang Duo is handsome, but I could not tolerate his character, Mo Fan's disposition.
Derek Chang was my favorite cast member. His character, Leo, seemed the most rational, although he chased Tiffany like a puppy.

Music: 6.0
Music outpaced the drama.

Overall score: 4.5
At best, this drama should have been 24 episodes long, when the story would not have been so burdensome to the viewers and the actors.

Monster
Oct 27, 2016
This revenge plot drama was 50 episodes long, but it would have been more effective with 30 episodes.

It started out as a crime drama, but evolved midway into a melodrama. At some point, it felt as if the director, scriptwriter and actors played 'spin the bottle' to determine which character would gain the advantage at the end of the day.

Acting Cast 6.0
Mediocre acting by the leads! The best acting performance was given by Jung Bo-Suk as Byun Il-Jae, the despicable villain.

Music was above average.

Rewatch value 1
The value should be 0. It is only rewatchable if 20 hours are shaved off the drama, and the final scene rewritten and reshot.

The drama title should have been "Monster Byun Il-Jae",  with deference given to Jung Bo-Suk. Byun did all the menacing and plotting, and was the real Monster.

The K2
Nov 16, 2016
K2 is an ambitious independent drama. It started out with the introduction of a highly skilled mercenary ex-soldier, who looked like K-dramaworld's answer to Bond and Bourne. The drama then adapted the K-drama formula of melodrama, filler, flashback, love triangle and crying.

K2 is a mixed bag of espionage, political intrigue, romance, dysfunctional family and corruption in high circles.

Acting Cast 7,5
Chang Ji Wook and Song Yoon-A were exceptional in their roles.

Character assessment;
 K2 moved like lightning. He should be the executive trainer of NIS.
Choi Yoo Jin had excessive mood swings. She was bi-polar, psychotic, duplicitous, ruthless, manipulative, delusional. She should be the dictator of a country.
An Na;  bland! She should open a ramen shop.
Se Joon was a philanderer, dead beat father, sycophant. He should go on the talk show circuit.
Gwan Soo was the corrupt politician and K2's target. He should be attached to a bomb device.

Music: 7
The music kept the drama alive.

Rewatch value:  5
Some day!

The most annoying aspect of the production was the ridiculous abuse of Shaky Camera. The jerky movements caused the brain to readjust and lose concentration (especially when the international viewers were reading subtitles). This lowered the quality of the project, because it seemed as if amateurs were behind the camera, and in charge of the production.

General and I
Feb 21, 2017
The best thing about this drama is that the 62 episodes were translated in seven weeks on the DF site. I watched all the episodes, but started skipping the Bai Lan State scenes, due to lack of interest in their melodrama.

Story:  7.0
A love story/epic battle costume historical drama.

Acting/Cast: 7.5
General Prince Chu Bei Jie, played by Wallace Chung, is my candidate for 2017 Drama Man of the Year award. Throughout the story, he was steadfast in his ethics and integrity.

Bai Ping Ting, played by Angelbaby, was adequate as the military strategist but she was also an expert waffler.  She waffled between Chu Bei Jie and He Xia.

He Xia, played by Sun Yi Zhou, started out as the underdog prince, but his royal ambition and the callous manipulation of the needy Princess Yao Tian, made me grimace.

Fan Lu, played by handsome Wang Tianchen, gets my second vote of confidence.  Fan Gu, the warrior garrison commander, would be worthy of a promotion.

General Ze Yin of Liang, played by Qi Hang, gets my third vote of confidence. He was dependable and fearless throughout the drama.

Music:  7.5
The music keeps the drama moving to its conclusion.

Rewatch value 1.5
Not likely to rewatch this drama, due to the lengthy drama and the lengthy filler.

Chu Bei Jie, Fan Lu and Ze Yin save the day, and the drama.

Novoland: The Castle in the Sky
Mar 18, 2017
I watched Novoland two months ago for Zhang Ruo Yun and Guan Xiao Tong.

Story; 6.0
Emperor Feng Tian Yi started out as megalomaniacal and arrogant, but he revealed his motives for acting like a young despot.  Fuling was the nucleus of the story.  Fuling was stiff, but her temperament seemed to be the perfect yang(bright) to Tian Yi's yin(dark).
SLS Prince Bai Ting Jun was lackluster, and his temperament was most compatible with Fuling's personaility.

Acting/Cast
Zhang Ruo Yun carried the show with his superb acting and his regal stature. He is one of the outstanding young actors in China.
Guan Xiao Tong's acting was adequate, but still charming on screen.

Music moved the drama along.

Rewatch Value; 4,5
I might rewatch it again, for ZRY.

The maniacal Queen and Fuling's father's side story was tedious, and a detriment to the plot.  The wingkind tribe seemed to function in a small space. CGI and props were cheesy. The M-POP artist in the end credits seems disjointed with the drama setting.

The Great Wall
Mar 19, 2017
This is Zhang Yimou's epic fantasy movie, and he pulled off an incredible feat of the imagination. I describe it as fantasy versus historical, because the monsters did not exist in historical times. The CGI was amazing, and took me back to the advent of Lord of the Rings. The movie was fast-paced, and the two hours zipped by quickly. I looked forward to this movie because of Andy Lau and Lu Han.

Matt Damon stepped up the plate in his first Chinese movie, as an European mercenary in China during the Song dynasty.  Damon's only flaw was the American accent, that did not match the job title.

Jing Tian was credible as Commander Lin Mae.

Andy Lau showed his competency in the second language.  I was very impressed that the scriptwriter entrusted a lot of English dialog to his character, the military strategist.  Andy Lau should have received third billing.

Lu Han did a very good job as the apprentice soldier, whose work experience was in the kitchen.

The monsters looked like relatives of the alien species in the Alien movies.

Nirvana in Fire
Jan 20, 2017
I watched this drama late; 16 months after the TV broadcast in China. I watched the entire drama in three weeks of January 2017.

Nirvana in Fire is a drama masterpiece, that was brilliantly written and produced. All the actors in the primary and supporting roles, gave exceptional acting performances. Hu Ge and Wang Kai were the perfect casting choices for the Mei Chang Su and Prince Jing Yan roles. The costume designs and the set designs were flawless, and the music soundtrack was perfect.

The intricate plot flowed like an English Literature textbook. Hai Yan's novel, "Lang Ya Bang", deserves recognition in the Asian and Western literary worlds, and the TV drama deserves honors in the Asian and Western entertainment industries. All TV production houses should use the Chinese TV drama as the benchmark for their dramas.

This is the first TV drama that I awarded 10 points across the board.

Something About 1 Percent
Dec 1, 2016
This light romantic comedy was entertaining and short (16 episodes only).

The love story between  a rich egocentric charming heir of a conglomerate and apoor but kind-hearted school-teacher. Jae In's grandfather acted as matchmaker/fairy godfather, to bring the two seemly mismatched characters together.

Ha Suk Jin and Jeon So Min were perfectly cast as the lead characters.

Music moved the drama  toward the conclusion.

Rewatch value 9
I watched this drama twice.

The weekly scripts and the leading actors' performances kept my attention, as the romance continued on the incline.  I cringed at Jae In's fashion choices 90% of the time.  Ha Suk Jin/Jae In looked perfect, otherwise.

Hwarang
Mar 18, 2017
I had high expectations when I read about the drama in the Spring of 2016. Once the drama commenced, I had great difficulty keeping up, and sympathizng with the superficial characters and the storyline. It is more of a contemporary historical drama, with the K-POP fans as the target audience. Touted as a pre-produced drama, the planning and execution of a poor script, emotionless acting (except for the excessive crying) and passable directing, shows in the end-result and the TV ratings.

The scene stealers were Park Ban-ryu and Kim Soo-yeon (Do Ji-Han and Lee Da-in). The weakest link was Kim Ah-Ro(Go Ara). If they had strengthened her back-bone, and deleted 90% ofl the crying, she would have shined among the young cast. The two characters that I rank last, are the Queen of Shilla and Park Yeong-Shil. Queen Mother Jiso sat on the throne, to protect her son, but at some point, it seemed like she was on a power trip. Park was a sleazy villain, who wanted to rule Shilla.

This is a drama where I was impressed with the incidental music, more than with the cast, characters and story.

Fantastic
Oct 27, 2016
The scriptwriter Lee So Hye's story will touch your heart, so you should keep a towel close at hand, instead of a box of tissues, to wipe away the tears. Ryu Hae Sung is a vapid celebrity star, who is humanized, as the romance develops with Lee So Hye. Kim Hyun Joo should be awarded the title of Queen of K-drama/melodrama. Ji Soo is charming as lawyer Kim Sang Wook.
The Guardians
Jul 25, 2017
The Guardians was full of suspense and tension. The writing and direction were very good until episode 31 and 32, when logic, communication and collaboration went out the window, and confusion, idiocy and tragedy entered the room.

Kim Young Kwang made the show sparkle, with his great height, wardrobe and acting. Kim Ki Bum (aka Key) did a very good acting job, which should make him viable for future acting projects. Kim Seul Gi also showed her acting range throughout the drama. Lee Shi Young did a very good job with the physical aspects of her role, but her monotone voice throughout the drama, made me cringe.

The music was very good, and upbeat. I could not locate the full OST on Itunes.

The final episode had the typical bad K-drama ending, that included a time jump that was unnecessary and extraneous, and a waste of the filming budget. Was I stupid, to hope for a great ending to a very good drama? Yoon Seung Ro's masterplan for a second season could have been five minutes long, and the remaining eleven minutes could have been put to better use.

Medical Examiner Dr. Qin
May 8, 2017
Qin, ME is a very tense drama, with suspense and sporadic comedic dialog between Li and Lin. The autopsy scenes are very graphic.

Top notch acting by Zhang Ruo Yun, Jiao Jun Yan and Li Xian! The only flaw in this production, is the shaky camera. I hope that the director has purchased a camera tripod to film Season 2 and Season 3.
The Princess Wei Young
Dec 28, 2016
This was an epic drama, in storyline and length. All the actors gave memorable acting performances. The costume designs were beautiful.

Poor Wei Young was targeted by every villain, who underestimated her survival skills. The Touba Jun/Wei Young romance was charming, until Tuoba Jun married Wei Young's arch-enemy #1, Changle. Arch-enemy #2, Changru, was even more dangerous and mad. Midway, the plot slowed down, and it was a great effort to keep watching Wei Young constantly being ridiculed, harrassed or tortured. My primary motivation was to see the end of the drama.

What made this epic drama effective, was the fact that 54 episodes were broadcast over a span of four weeks.

Memory Lost
Nov 1, 2017
I watched the entire drama of 36 episodes in 1 1/2 weeks.  The actors were interesting and good looking.  The setting, Lan City, is a perfect, beautiful, clean, spacious city, and the police station is high end.  This is a review of the entire drama; Seasons 1, 2 and 3.

The story begins in the current time, with some mysterious reference to five years prior. As the drama moves forward, we learn that the main characters have wide gaps in their memories of five years prior. No surprise! A number of Alphabet Villains are introduced strategically with every new crime in Lan City, and it is obvious that they were involved with those lost memories.

As the drama reaches the last stretch, the scriptwriter takes a flashback (aka time jump backward) to five years prior, to explain the Alphabet Villains’ megalomaniacal master plan.  This is spread over five or six episodes needlessly, when we just want to see the conclusion of the drama.

The casting is very good.  Bai Yu is exceptional as Han Chen, who is a knight in shining armor.  Yong Rang is not exceptional as Bai Jin Xi/Su Mian. The character is obnoxious and egocentric, and chatty.  She also hits her subordinate throughout the drama, which is not professional behavior. She stops being obnoxious, but is still egocentric and chatty.

The three supporting actors who play the young and handsome supporting Black Shield detectives, are very efficient.  The teamwork of the Black Shield members and their supervisor is exceptional.

The supporting actors who play the young and handsome Alphabet Villains are efficient. The teamwork of the villains falls apart.   The old adage, “ Too many chefs (...villains) spoil the broth." comes to mind.

A very good O.S.T.!

Rewatch value 4.5
Should I forget that I watched the drama, I might end up watching it again.  (Lost memory! Muahahahaha!)

The drama is praiseworthy. The production values are high, and all the actors deliver very good performances.  The plot is clever, but the script is confusing at times, as it randomly jumps backward in time, and the villains keep popping up at the oddest times.  The script would have been solid if the drama had started out the gate with the villains hatching their diabolical master plan, the main leads losing their memories, and the time jump to five years later, when the drama actually began.