• Location: Los Angeles, CA

QAS

Los Angeles, CA
Stay With Me
Jan 8, 2017
I watched every episode until #20, but the erratic mood swings of Wei Wei and Yi Du, made me feel restless and listless. I switched to watching every five episodes until I reached the end of the line.

Story: 4.5
A love story/amnesia/revenge plot!  Too much, too little, too boring!
Wei Wei acted like a childish teenager, as she kept pursuing Yi Du, even though he treated her shabbily.
Yi Du was so trusting of his friend, who was his mortal enemy, yet he distrusted Wei Wei frequently, that I wanted to slap his head.
Mo Fan pursued a distorted revenge plot.
Huao Xiao, Wei Wei's best friend, became needy and manipulative.

The cast did a very good acting job.
Joe Chen and Wang Kai looked very attractive as Wei Wei and Yi Du respectively, but their characters were not endearing.
Zhang Duo is handsome, but I could not tolerate his character, Mo Fan's disposition.
Derek Chang was my favorite cast member. His character, Leo, seemed the most rational, although he chased Tiffany like a puppy.

Music: 6.0
Music outpaced the drama.

Overall score: 4.5
At best, this drama should have been 24 episodes long, when the story would not have been so burdensome to the viewers and the actors.

Detective L
Jun 2, 2019
This is the best executed C-drama that I have watched in the last 2 1/2 years. The production values are excellent, with an excellent cast, director, film editor, scriptwriter, music supervisor, wardrobe supervisor, stage design supervisor, location supervisor and all the diligent crew members. The caterers might have been excellent as well.

Bai Yu is the best C-detective, Lou Fei, who is charismatic, upper class, and well-dressed, and he possesses a sharp intellect and an analytical mind. Una You as Xiao Man is the perfect assisting police detective, with fighting skills and a sharp mind to complement Lou Fei's. Jeffrey Ji as Ben Jie Ming is the very handsome and tall coroner with a sharp mind and excellent inter-communication skills. Captain Savoy is the perfect boss and team leader, who leads, supports and respects his staff members. Their loyalty to him is shown in the final episode, when the police officers stand with him, against the raging director of the municipality.

Acting: 9.5
Directing: 9
Casting 9
Editing 9
Costumes 9
Sets 10
Script 8.5

This is the first Chinese drama that I am willing to rewatch. The 24-episode length and the tight scripts are perfect for viewers with a short attention span.

ATTENTION: This drama contains NONE of the following drama flaws to disrupt the viewer's concentration;

(a) flashback and repetitive flashback filler,
(b) story filler,
(c) useless flashbacking,
(d) pattern-mad or garish wardrobe,
(e) obtrusive loud singing and loud incidental music score overlapping the characters' dialogs and scenes.

Final episode comment; The ending is the beginning.
From the structure and pace of the cases, the ending was designed to continue in a second season. Bai Yu and Una You comprise the best detective team, Lou Fei and Qin Xiao Man, since Inspector Earl Lynley and Detective Havers, Sherlock and Watson, Morse and Lewis. If Detective L had been launched as a 50 episode drama, we would have been bombarded with fillers and flashbacks, loud, repetitive singing and draggy incidental music.

Eternal Love
Mar 17, 2017
Ten Miles Peach Blossoms is a rare drama phenomena of the early 21st century.  Modestly produced, this fantasy romance costume drama became a sleeper hit.  It is ultimately the love story between a TV drama and the Chinese viewers and international viewers across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

Story: 8.0
The love stories and the characters and the oustanding cast touch the heart.  The emotional pull of the story and creative plot transcend culture and language. When subtitles can draw tears of sorrow and joy, the actors, directors and the scriptwriter have done a very effective job.

Acting Cast 8.5;
Mark Chao was destined to play twin gods, Ye Hua and Mo Yuan.  He demonstrated his range of acting skills, and gained a very large fanbase across the oceans.
Yang MI revealed her acting range with the three distinctive entities, Si Yin, Bai Qian and Su Su.
Maggie Huang and Zhu Xudan were convincing as the psychotic, obsessive, delusioned antagonists, Su Jin and Xuan Nu, respectively.
The young actors, Hummer Zhang (A-Li), Huang Tianqi (Fire Qilin), Zhang Youhao (Mi Gu), and Little Zhao Ge character, ultimately stole the show.

Music: 7.5
The OST is very good. The main love ballad, Liang, Liang, was overplayed in every episode, and in totality, it may have been heard  90 billion times (30+billion views * 3 times per episode).

Rewatch Value: 7.0
On a rainy day,  I might attempt to rewatch this drama,  but the second time time around, I would focus on my favorite characters, Ye Hua, Mo Yuan, Bai Qian/Si Yin/Su Su and Si Ming.

Overall Score: 8.0
The calibre of acting, writing, directing, editing, music composition, set design, and costume and hair design, is reflected in this cinematic masterpiece.
There were several draggy sections involving Li Jing,  Feng Jiu or Dong Hua. The plot could have been tighter, and very effective with 48 episodes instead of 58 episodes.

Game of Hunting
Dec 16, 2017
The drama has two actors of interest, Hu Ge and Chen Long,  They dressed well, and looked handsome in their business suits.  Chen Long's character, Lin Bai, was my favorite character. This is the story of the survival of the underdog, Qiu Dong; his fall from grace, and his climb out of the hole, with a few female companions along the way, to keep his company.

I was intrigued by the trailer, but the intrigue thinned out over the duration of the drama.The actors did a good job, but their characters had no spark, and the plot stretched.  The incidental music was pretty but monotonous, and was a disruption during the dramatic moments. The last arc about the widow Yan, dropped the show from a 6.0 to a 5.0.  They should have ended the drama at episode 44, with the lovers' reunion, and show Qiu Dong's success with his headhunting firm.

This drama should have been 24 episodes only. Half of the content was drivel.

Monster
Oct 27, 2016
This revenge plot drama was 50 episodes long, but it would have been more effective with 30 episodes.

It started out as a crime drama, but evolved midway into a melodrama. At some point, it felt as if the director, scriptwriter and actors played 'spin the bottle' to determine which character would gain the advantage at the end of the day.

Acting Cast 6.0
Mediocre acting by the leads! The best acting performance was given by Jung Bo-Suk as Byun Il-Jae, the despicable villain.

Music was above average.

Rewatch value 1
The value should be 0. It is only rewatchable if 20 hours are shaved off the drama, and the final scene rewritten and reshot.

The drama title should have been "Monster Byun Il-Jae",  with deference given to Jung Bo-Suk. Byun did all the menacing and plotting, and was the real Monster.

The K2
Nov 16, 2016
K2 is an ambitious independent drama. It started out with the introduction of a highly skilled mercenary ex-soldier, who looked like K-dramaworld's answer to Bond and Bourne. The drama then adapted the K-drama formula of melodrama, filler, flashback, love triangle and crying.

K2 is a mixed bag of espionage, political intrigue, romance, dysfunctional family and corruption in high circles.

Acting Cast 7,5
Chang Ji Wook and Song Yoon-A were exceptional in their roles.

Character assessment;
 K2 moved like lightning. He should be the executive trainer of NIS.
Choi Yoo Jin had excessive mood swings. She was bi-polar, psychotic, duplicitous, ruthless, manipulative, delusional. She should be the dictator of a country.
An Na;  bland! She should open a ramen shop.
Se Joon was a philanderer, dead beat father, sycophant. He should go on the talk show circuit.
Gwan Soo was the corrupt politician and K2's target. He should be attached to a bomb device.

Music: 7
The music kept the drama alive.

Rewatch value:  5
Some day!

The most annoying aspect of the production was the ridiculous abuse of Shaky Camera. The jerky movements caused the brain to readjust and lose concentration (especially when the international viewers were reading subtitles). This lowered the quality of the project, because it seemed as if amateurs were behind the camera, and in charge of the production.

General and I
Feb 21, 2017
The best thing about this drama is that the 62 episodes were translated in seven weeks on the DF site. I watched all the episodes, but started skipping the Bai Lan State scenes, due to lack of interest in their melodrama.

Story:  7.0
A love story/epic battle costume historical drama.

Acting/Cast: 7.5
General Prince Chu Bei Jie, played by Wallace Chung, is my candidate for 2017 Drama Man of the Year award. Throughout the story, he was steadfast in his ethics and integrity.

Bai Ping Ting, played by Angelbaby, was adequate as the military strategist but she was also an expert waffler.  She waffled between Chu Bei Jie and He Xia.

He Xia, played by Sun Yi Zhou, started out as the underdog prince, but his royal ambition and the callous manipulation of the needy Princess Yao Tian, made me grimace.

Fan Lu, played by handsome Wang Tianchen, gets my second vote of confidence.  Fan Gu, the warrior garrison commander, would be worthy of a promotion.

General Ze Yin of Liang, played by Qi Hang, gets my third vote of confidence. He was dependable and fearless throughout the drama.

Music:  7.5
The music keeps the drama moving to its conclusion.

Rewatch value 1.5
Not likely to rewatch this drama, due to the lengthy drama and the lengthy filler.

Chu Bei Jie, Fan Lu and Ze Yin save the day, and the drama.

The Great Wall
Mar 19, 2017
This is Zhang Yimou's epic fantasy movie, and he pulled off an incredible feat of the imagination. I describe it as fantasy versus historical, because the monsters did not exist in historical times. The CGI was amazing, and took me back to the advent of Lord of the Rings. The movie was fast-paced, and the two hours zipped by quickly. I looked forward to this movie because of Andy Lau and Lu Han.

Matt Damon stepped up the plate in his first Chinese movie, as an European mercenary in China during the Song dynasty.  Damon's only flaw was the American accent, that did not match the job title.

Jing Tian was credible as Commander Lin Mae.

Andy Lau showed his competency in the second language.  I was very impressed that the scriptwriter entrusted a lot of English dialog to his character, the military strategist.  Andy Lau should have received third billing.

Lu Han did a very good job as the apprentice soldier, whose work experience was in the kitchen.

The monsters looked like relatives of the alien species in the Alien movies.

Here to Heart
May 28, 2018
Here to Heart was my Go-To Drama for May 2018. It started out very favorable, owing to the participation of Hans Zhang and Janine Chang, who are engaging actors. As the drama progressed, with the characters remaining in a rut, I began to notice the bipolar, depressed, weepy and/or deluded characteristics of several characters. Midstream, the weepiness began to wear on me. By the end, I was too worn out, to cry during the lovers' emotional reunion.

Story: 6.5
A credible romance plot with too much weepiness, depression, delusion. By the middle of the story, I had no empathy and sympathy for the two lovers, Wen Nuan and Zhan Nanxian. Their persistent weepiness and inadequate communication skill made me indifferent to the lovers' plight. While the supporting characters were beautiful to behold, their mini stories also seemed to drag on forever.

Acting/Cast: 8
Credible acting by the main and supporting casts! Janine Chang's range of emotions was impressive, but she was wept her way through this drama, and that was depressing. Hans Zhang exuded charm and elegance on screen, but his weepiness was depressing. My favorite character was Gao Fang (… actor Ji Xiao Bing), who was the only rational, normal person.

Music: 9.5
The incidental music was beautiful. I wondered if the Winter Sonata composer composed the music. The theme song was overplayed too much; two or three times in the episodes. Once is enough, during the opening credits.

Rewatch value: 1
I was too depressed, watching the depressed, bipolar, deluded characters. Never again!

Overall rating: 6.5
If the drama had been trimmed to 30 episodes, with a tighter plot, less drivel, less weepiness, less depression, it would have been awarded the title of Ultimate Romance Drama to challenge the K-drama, Winter Sonata, sitting at the top of the Romance Drama chart. The Writer, Director and Actors put too much emphasis on the MELODRAMA, versus DRAMA.

Wardrobe notes:
Janine and Hans wore the most beautiful fashions, but some of their wardrobe should have been rejected. Nanxian wore checkered pajama pants and a tailored black tuxedo jacket and bowtie, and loafer shoes that looked like bedroom slippers, at his wedding in episode 45. Wen Nuan's red dress in the final London scene looked ill-fitting. It was loose and ready to fall off her. Yixin was an extreme fashionista, wearing elegant or tacky outfits. In general, all the actors were subjected to the whims of the wardrobe department.

Observation:
I felt that HTH had the tone of Winter Sonata, in story, characters and music. Lost love, love rivals, lost memory, interfering deluded parent, lack of communication, dream house, weepiness, depression, delusion! There were similarities between the four main characters of HTH and WS. Wen Nuan (=Yu Jin), Nanxian (=Joon Sang), Linlu (=Sang Hyuk) and Yixin (=Chaelin)! The HTH characters had more depth of character and job responsibilities.

The final montage of the couple in their State of Happiness was unnecessary. The drama should have ended at their final reunion by the River Thames.

The Mystic Nine
Oct 27, 2016
Mystic Nine was my first longform C-drama. William Chan, Zhao Liying, Zhang Yixing, Ying Haoming and Zhang Mingen were perfectly cast in their roles. William's and Mingen's fight scenes/stunts were very impressive (their characters were highly skilled members of the mysterious Zhang family tree).

There were holes in the plot that was not clearly defined. There was some awkward editing, too much tomb filler or repetitive flashbacks. Sometimes two scenes were intercut, causing fidgets or Short Attention Span, to get to the end of the episode. Some plotlines seemed interminable; time stood still in the tombs. Some deleted scenes should have been kept intact, that would have filled in the blanks.

Novoland: The Castle in the Sky
Mar 18, 2017
I watched Novoland two months ago for Zhang Ruo Yun and Guan Xiao Tong.

Story; 6.0
Emperor Feng Tian Yi started out as megalomaniacal and arrogant, but he revealed his motives for acting like a young despot.  Fuling was the nucleus of the story.  Fuling was stiff, but her temperament seemed to be the perfect yang(bright) to Tian Yi's yin(dark).
SLS Prince Bai Ting Jun was lackluster, and his temperament was most compatible with Fuling's personaility.

Acting/Cast
Zhang Ruo Yun carried the show with his superb acting and his regal stature. He is one of the outstanding young actors in China.
Guan Xiao Tong's acting was adequate, but still charming on screen.

Music moved the drama along.

Rewatch Value; 4,5
I might rewatch it again, for ZRY.

The maniacal Queen and Fuling's father's side story was tedious, and a detriment to the plot.  The wingkind tribe seemed to function in a small space. CGI and props were cheesy. The M-POP artist in the end credits seems disjointed with the drama setting.

Nirvana in Fire
Jan 20, 2017
I watched this drama late; 16 months after the TV broadcast in China. I watched the entire drama in three weeks of January 2017.

Nirvana in Fire is a drama masterpiece, that was brilliantly written and produced. All the actors in the primary and supporting roles, gave exceptional acting performances. Hu Ge and Wang Kai were the perfect casting choices for the Mei Chang Su and Prince Jing Yan roles. The costume designs and the set designs were flawless, and the music soundtrack was perfect.

The intricate plot flowed like an English Literature textbook. Hai Yan's novel, "Lang Ya Bang", deserves recognition in the Asian and Western literary worlds, and the TV drama deserves honors in the Asian and Western entertainment industries. All TV production houses should use the Chinese TV drama as the benchmark for their dramas.

This is the first TV drama that I awarded 10 points across the board.

Something About 1 Percent
Dec 1, 2016
This light romantic comedy was entertaining and short (16 episodes only).

The love story between  a rich egocentric charming heir of a conglomerate and apoor but kind-hearted school-teacher. Jae In's grandfather acted as matchmaker/fairy godfather, to bring the two seemly mismatched characters together.

Ha Suk Jin and Jeon So Min were perfectly cast as the lead characters.

Music moved the drama  toward the conclusion.

Rewatch value 9
I watched this drama twice.

The weekly scripts and the leading actors' performances kept my attention, as the romance continued on the incline.  I cringed at Jae In's fashion choices 90% of the time.  Ha Suk Jin/Jae In looked perfect, otherwise.

Hwarang
Mar 18, 2017
I had high expectations when I read about the drama in the Spring of 2016. Once the drama commenced, I had great difficulty keeping up, and sympathizng with the superficial characters and the storyline. It is more of a contemporary historical drama, with the K-POP fans as the target audience. Touted as a pre-produced drama, the planning and execution of a poor script, emotionless acting (except for the excessive crying) and passable directing, shows in the end-result and the TV ratings.

The scene stealers were Park Ban-ryu and Kim Soo-yeon (Do Ji-Han and Lee Da-in). The weakest link was Kim Ah-Ro(Go Ara). If they had strengthened her back-bone, and deleted 90% ofl the crying, she would have shined among the young cast. The two characters that I rank last, are the Queen of Shilla and Park Yeong-Shil. Queen Mother Jiso sat on the throne, to protect her son, but at some point, it seemed like she was on a power trip. Park was a sleazy villain, who wanted to rule Shilla.

This is a drama where I was impressed with the incidental music, more than with the cast, characters and story.

The Princess Wei Young
Dec 28, 2016
This was an epic drama, in storyline and length. All the actors gave memorable acting performances. The costume designs were beautiful.

Poor Wei Young was targeted by every villain, who underestimated her survival skills. The Touba Jun/Wei Young romance was charming, until Tuoba Jun married Wei Young's arch-enemy #1, Changle. Arch-enemy #2, Changru, was even more dangerous and mad. Midway, the plot slowed down, and it was a great effort to keep watching Wei Young constantly being ridiculed, harrassed or tortured. My primary motivation was to see the end of the drama.

What made this epic drama effective, was the fact that 54 episodes were broadcast over a span of four weeks.