• Location: By the beach.
  • Join Date: May 8, 2012

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.
Queen Seon Duk
Jul 25, 2012
This is the second long running sageuk drama I’ve seen, next to Dae Jang Geum. Since this was depicted from Korea’s own history, I tried to research a bit while I was watching the whole thing. And as I have discovered, the drama was very far from reality or even its original history. Just like Jang Geum, it was altered a lot.

The drama’s setting was about war times in which people were still ignorant about science and turned to believing in myths. The main character Seon Duk or first known as Deokman was born during those times of conquering kingdoms and ignorance. She had to be separated with the royal family right after birth due to the nation’s cruel beliefs . It was then, a prophecy was given that a chosen one will unite the kingdom of Silla. Though, never in their wildest dreams did they think it would be a Queen and a twin nonetheless. Seon Duk’s journey from being a traveler, to a soldier then finally to being a queen was an epic one. During her growth, she had a handful of help from different people she get to meet along the way. Her perseverance, wit and loyalty has touched people’s heart around her and because of this, they become loyal to her in return.

What I liked about the drama was the political conflicts in every aspect. The more problem there is on the top of the ladder, the larger the problem becomes at the bottom. Politics has always been a mar in our society due to the scoundrels who take advantage of their power. It’s sad that if one person tries to be righteous in his ways, a flock would try to bring him down. Solving political problems was never easy to begin with, but this drama even the antagonist had the same thoughts as on how to control the government properly. It was a good idea, only it had the wrong ways on executing it which turns the table to our protagonist. Though the antagonist Mishil is very much witty like Seon Duk, the show got more interesting because two great female minds are going to collide head on with their own tactics.

Inserted along the way is also a love triangle within the story line. (They just wouldn’t let romance get away in sageuk dramas!) There is the ever loyal Kim Yu Shin from childhood to puberty and then later on comes the feisty Bidam. This part of the story isn’t your average love story, there were so many twist and turns that in the end it just made me pull out my hair and cry out loud for all the things these three people had to go through.

I am recommending this drama, because it is a good watch. An eye opener and you would seriously love Mishil in this show. Love her and hate her all at the same time.

Winter Sonata
Jul 25, 2012
I’ve been deliberating with myself if I should or should not add this up in the list of my recommendation/review because 1st, I’m not much of a Bae Yong Jun or Choi Ji Woo fan, 2nd the drama didn’t really leave me any lasting impressions. Then it dawned on me that I will be covering all three series of Endless Love then leave this alone for good? That’s unfair. So despite my inner retaliation, I will recommend this for the sake of completing the whole Endless Love Installment and maybe someone out there is into this kind of heavy melodrama and would get to appreciate it more than I did.

Winter Sonata is the 2nd installment of Endless Love series, it is also far away from being Rom-Com. The drama is all about romance, spice of life and deep conflicts not just within the characters but their roots. Meaning their family, where all conflicts usually starts in this kind of setting. The main characters meet and fall in love during their high school until one day, they were separated for vague reasons. After 10 years, they meet again in an engagement party in which one of them are getting engaged.

The actor’s portrayal of their character is really amazing if you judge how much their caliber on acting is. The emotions on each role was poured out on scenes and even those melancholic-angsty moment would move you against your own volition. (It did mine and I wasn’t really expecting that) I remember my mom tearfully pointing at me for making her watch another mellow drama and making her cry out once again. (I made her watch Autumn in my Heart, the first melodrama she’s seen and she’s the one who insisted on watching Winter Sonata. NOT ME.)

The Master's Sun
Oct 5, 2013
The Hong Sisters outdid themselves, again. For a creepy-horror-romcom-drama genre, Master's Sun was awesome. I am not crazy on horror themed shows but horror mixed with comedy and romantic moments? I'm sure I have a huge space for something like that to fit into my scheduled drama watching. Truth be told, I am not a So Ji Sub or Gong Hyo Jin fan. I only watched this because of a friend's recommendation and out of sheer curiosity, then after checking it out, this is what I get: Pure satisfaction for the year of 2013. This year and season had soooo many good drama's to offer. I can't believe they are making good kdrama's again.

This drama's story line is original, the characters are very interesting and although plot lines are freaking full of cliches as what the Hong Sister's usually do with their drama's, but the heck! It doesn't matter, because they use the cliche in its full potential.

Episode 1 was a strong entry for this drama and for a sucker of romcom, it hooked me so much I had to watch episode per episode, week by week. Which is very unusual of me because I usually watch a drama when it's done airing and all episode/subtitles are out. The last time I did that was when Hana Yori Dango was aired in Japan. So this drama is dear to my heart because I felt the potential from episode 1 and it never disappointed me (until episode 16) which sort of felt like a filler of an episode that's why I had to rate it an over all 9/10. BUT! Episode 17 made up for it so their's no point in worrying for just one episode.

The characters were very solid, I loved the mannerism Ji-sub came up for his character Joo Jong-won. He had that hand gestures which I find rather appealing for the type of guy he was portraying. An egoistic rich guy who had less to care for in the world. As for Hyo-jin, she was very convincing and really catchy as Tae Gong-shil. Although within the drama there were sudden shifts in her character. I am not referring to the times she was possessed, I'm talking about when she's being really the strong/angry type of Taeyang and not the seemingly Sweet-Naive-Candy type of Taeyang. There were sudden shifts and it was annoying me because she was sort of getting out of character. I think I had to find that fault in the writers or director, it was annoying. Because if her character was the soft one - it has to be consistent. If they were going to make her strong... that personality had to stick-like in what they did to episodes 16 and 17. But when her character shifted to a strong one in around episode 11 then revert to her old self at episode 12, it was like she had to act within her acting. If you get what I mean... and because of that I had to give another 9/10 for the story because the character is based on that.

Now that being said and done, I have to give compliments for the music, because it was catchy and unforgettable. It's like nostalgia sticks to the music and as for the re-watch value, I say... HELL YEAH! I am going to watch it over and over again, never mind those ghost infested scenes-they aren't really scary if I don't think too much about it.

If you are a fan of romcom and of the Hong Sister's writing style, you'll love this. You won't be disappointed with this. YOU BETTER WATCH THIS.

Coffee Prince
Jul 25, 2012
Yoon Eun Hye and Gong Yoo alone made me watch this. Then they threw in Kim Rae Won… I suddenly spazzed out.

What’s so good about a transgender rom-com? It’s good when it’s Eun Hye who’s being transgenderized (if that’s even a word), it felt like the role was made for her and she wasn’t afraid to step up and get her hair all chopped up for the role. That’s one thing about Eun Hye that I like, she takes strange roles that is full of comedy. I have yet to see her in a melodrama. Maybe somewhere in the near future she will.

As for the story, Coffee Prince is about Go Eun Chan (Eun Hye), a hard working girl who is always always being mistaken as a guy. Then fate made her meet Choi Hang Kyul (Yoo) in a misunderstanding. After which they come to an agreement to help each other out and eventually, she ended up lying about her gender so she could work as a waiter in Gong Yoo’s coffee shop.

The drama was hilarious in all angle, there is no realism in this one because it is obvious that Eun Chan is A GIRL if you look closely at her chest. So let not your head go swimming that this is not realistic enough to be watched. It may not be like that but the storyline would definitely blow you away with all the characters involved. The princes (namely the waiters in the coffee prince shop) and the OST had me hooked as well.

Check out the title “Go Go Chan!”

Love Forecast
Oct 17, 2015
The story line was quite simple but what really made this movie going for me was the fact that the main actors were good in portraying their characters. I'm saying this not as a fan because Lee Seung Gi is my bias, but because he really is good. Even Moon Chae Won, who I could care less of, did really well in this film. They really had a good chemistry going in every scene, it didn't feel like they were trying too hard to be into their roles. It's actually endearing to see them bicker, help each other out and eventually fill in the void of their own heart aches.

Music wise, it was a big help for important details in each scene but it was not something I couldn't forget or get an LSS (Last Song Syndrome) from. I also have to confess that I re-watched the film again after seeing it, I just had to replay some parts which I found really eye catching, which I will be mentioning below.

Here were some key points in this film that I found really lovely:
Friendship of the main character - since I am a sucker for best friend themed film, the turn of events for me at the end was a plus point. I like the fact that both of them really cherished each other and counted on each other for consolation in their personal lives.

Back drop - the places where the main characters spend their time was really something worthy to take note of if ever I do get to visit Korea. I'm not much of a party person, but that club in which they spend their time drinking was pretty much awesome. I've never seen a club which had a theme of a bath house/disco bar. It was weird and yet it was working well. Then there's those cozy apartments which belonged to the lead female and that house in which the main guy's family lived. It shows the coziness of a korean living. Finally, Jeju Island. That beach back drop was really something indeed. I love how saturated blue the ocean was and the waves... it was something that could pull me into really visiting the island.

Ending - it was the average ending where two people reconcile and such, it was not outstanding and even border lines into cheesiness, but I loved the closure. I am delighted in a movie that gives proper closure to the main characters. It was cute and simple. And definitely something I enjoyed watching.

Skip Beat!
Feb 20, 2014
In my opinion, Skip Beat Taiwanese drama version has a lot to offer.

I initially watched this solely for Siwon and no one else. I don't even know who Donghae or Ivy Chen was prior to watching the show. Adding to this... I've also never heard of Skip Beat anime/manga at all! *Ducks in a hole* (No flame throwing from fans please! I'm just being honest here.)

What surprised me though, was how much it worked for me. I guess it's a good thing that I have no idea that this was an adaptation - hence I had nothing to compare it with. Although, I have a bit of hesitation when I learned there was a lot of CG effects where in things were faked - I have a bit of aversion in those things, but it wasn't that bad and the story really hooked me up. The story line was awesome and it hit that funny spot in my heart. Not to forget those heart warming moments with regards to friendship and all those special ties with other people. I'm happy that the focus was not too much on the love story between a man and a woman but about the love for all the people around.

The actors were good in portraying their roles, it wasn't that hard to be absorbed in their "acting within an act" it was really fun to watch. The comedy was really funny as well and Ivy Chen's character as Gong Xi was hilarious. She brought out unexpected fun in the whole duration of the series. As for Siwon... I love watching his facial reactions and his hot choco-abs whenever it's shown but what turned me off was the fact that his voice was off. Since it was dubbed weirdly, they should at least have looked for a voice over who sounds like him. The same goes to Donghae. I do understand that both guys are Korean and they had to do this... but the least they could have done was do it nicely, right?

But anyways... setting this aside, this drama is still one of my favorite ones. Music wise - I got addicted to it and still listen to it up to now. I relieve my favorite scenes whenever I hear the OST. As for re-watching, I have no idea how many times I have re-watched this show anymore since 2011. I was just hooked to watching my favorite scenes again and again.

Over all this drama was fun fun fun. I would recommend it to people who liked the manga and anime. It does not deviate much from the original and yet it also has its very own charm.

Cinderella's Sister
Jul 25, 2012
What made watch this in the first place was Moon Geun Young. I am biased like that when it comes to actresses I like.

Aside from her, I was very much interested in the story line. As you have noticed the title says “Cinderella” because it was depicted in the fairy tale but is very much different in every aspect. I wouldn’t elaborate too much. What made it similar to the fairy tale? We have the evil step sister who acted as Moon Geun and Cinderella herself as Seo Woo. But what I like in this story was how they made Moon’s character, it was far fetched from the original concept, but it justified her bitchiness.

This way, the story really amazed me and how the main character’s inner conflict was resolved. I love the tough exterior the main character had but in the inside she’s all marshmallows. Oh, and I’m not forgetting Chung Jung Myung, the man who moved the evil step sister’s heart. The music was also lovely especially in those very melodramatic moments in which you couldn’t help crying out loud and say “Please please please stop hurting so badly so I could stop crying for you” this dialogue always ran through my mind all through out every episode.

By far, this is one of the best melodramatic Korean series I have ever seen. So if you’re much into another cry-fest drama, this one is for you. Prepare your bucket for those incoming tears.

Aug 30, 2012
I have this love-hate relationship with this movie.

Love it for Song Hye Kyo and her leading man, hated it because of how the whole plot line was executed. Though in history, I already knew how it was going to end, I still had that tiny bit of hope that they would do something colorful about it so it wouldn't be much of a hard blow to watch. I guess have put too much expectation on my plate.

Cinematography wise, everything was beautiful, literally. Even the brothel itself was fixed up nicely. Music score was a plus, since it did help out build the drama, but it wasn't something I would remember forever. The story was a bit draggy and berserk, it swung from one plot to another and I hate having that kind of story line in the movies I watch.

So what other perk do I have with this movie aside from the leading actress? It was the fight scenes and Hwang Jin Yi's clothes.

Firstly, the fight scenes were choreographed carefully that it had really great results. Watching these fights were awesome, never mind the blood and gore, it was all good to watch. Secondly, Hwang Jin Yi's Hanbok were breathe taking. It had so many details in it and definitely glamorous even for a courtesan. I guess the fashion designer did put a hint of modernization on her dress although it was supposed to be on the Jeoseon era. Anyways, she was one of the greatest Gisaeng's after all. I guess the least producers can do was dress her nicely to cover off the sub-par story line.

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho
Jul 25, 2012
What I love about this drama is the prettiness of Shin Min Ah. It’s as if she doesn’t age at all or more like she keeps getting younger and younger as she grows older. If that even makes sense? Her role here is fresh and cute that I couldn’t take off my eyes on the screen because it’s too unbelievable even if she’s supposed to be a fox. Aside this, the story line is very very amusing. Episode per episode would just send you off smiling and laughing with all those hilarious moments the main characters gets into.

This isn’t your typical romantic comedy where girl loves boy and boy falls for girl… it’s different because girl is fox and boy is human. Then mix in different immortal beings of the world in the picture, like for example a goddess, a goblin and a human half goblin… yeah. Underworld creatures and immortals are invading the story line but it’s what makes it more interesting.

Not to forget the OST, it adds to the whole concept of the drama: cuteness, hilarity and love in whatever kind of form.

Six Flying Dragons
May 25, 2017
This is the second saguek I have rated 10/10 in a very long time. The first one was “Jewel in the Palace” and I didn’t expect that this drama would exceed that one. To give you an overview about the series, the story is a prequel to the drama “Tree with Deep Roots” which was aired on 2011. The story runs during the end of Goryeo era and the opening to a new country called Joseon.

The writers and producers has so much material to work with since according to history, this is where the first royal annals (records of the king) started. Having that as a solid background to a great story in the making, they were able to show how beautiful and frightening it was to live in those days. Days in which freedom was what the common people could only dream of. I give my kudos to the director and the people behind this drama for being able to produce something so outstanding (FYI: Six Flying Dragons won multiple Baeksang Awards, a prestigious award in Korea for the best drama shows). Another side to this drama is the political aspect, it was so intense that watching this without proper subtitle would have been bad for your health if you cannot understand the Korean language. The dialogues could be heart wrenching one minute then an eye opener the next. What made this drama peculiar for me is that usually, sagueks leaves a lot of moral lessons in life and has a clear cut on what is right or wrong, but here… YOU have to be your own judge as to what you deem is right. Everything is grey especially to one of the main characters specifically Yi Bang Won. For him, everything has a means and a justification in order to reach the ultimate goal, a goal that benefits a lot of people by sacrificing a few. You get what I mean? That said, the drama story is long but it’s not tiring to follow because there is always progress in every episode as the characters come to an individual realization, then gets together for a common cause and finally outgrow each other.

What I love about this drama is that it has a lot of powerful characters. There are a total of six main ones, hence the title and they are portrayed by actors that could stand up to their roles. My favorite would be Yi Bang Won which I have already mentioned earlier and was portrayed by my beloved actor Yoo Ah In. He has the most character growth in the 50 episodes that I’ve seen him, as he started as a naïve child, to being an adolescent who wants to change his country and finally as a king. His thought process was also very different from the rest of the characters that’s why I love watching him and see what he would be scheming up next and he is one seriously complicated guy. My second character choice, would be Moo Yool acted by Yoon Kyun Sang, this guy here is seriously pure heart and pure strength. He is the total opposite of Bang Won who is witty and manipulative. It’s no wonder that he and Bang Won complement each other’s character, he’s just too nice and loyal. My third and last favorite character is Bang Ji acted by Byun Yo Han, this guy is a fantastic swordsman and his fighting skills are... I just get speechless every time he gets a fight scene. He has gone through so much hardship that all I wish for him is a tiny-bit of happiness. I like the fact that he is loyal to the person he loves and to the person he decided to follow until end. As for the rest of the other main characters namely: Boon Yi, Sambong and Yi Seong Gye… I feel that they are all on the same level of liking in my rating book. It's just that there wasn't much character progress for any of them since they are utterly stuck to their own principles. Aside that... there are a lot of other sub characters who also gave light to the show but I would leave that for the viewers to judge and pinpoint who they like.

The soundtrack of this drama was awesome and unforgettable. It has been more than a year since I’ve seen the drama and yet the songs still run in my head and I could still sing a few verses. It added dramatic luster to the scenes, the songs that would be played in the background is like a clue as to how intense each scene was going to be. I give two thumbs up for their choice of music.

I will be re-watching this drama in the near future, since I miss the characters and would want to relieve each moments with them but for now I highly recommend this drama for all the saguek lovers out there.

As the Gods Will
Jul 26, 2015
I watched this movie by chance, and it was gruesomely mind blowing. The gore and the story line felt like I was watching Battle Royal and Kill Bill with bits of alien/game type feature running around the screen.

The first few minutes captured my attention due to so much red beads, blood spatter and corpses... that alone made me curious as to what kind of movie this was going to be because I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After watching up to the end, I realized how much violent and convoluted this film was, but I loved it nonetheless.

There was so many factors in which this movie captured my attention, but most likely it was the story line. A bunch of high school students, running around and trying to survive their circumstances was something that has always been interesting for me. Somehow, the actors and over all story-line made up for slightly lack of polish on the CG effects. Although I would understand that the way they made the CG effects was part of the plan, but I still wished it was more realistic. It would have been more awesome if that was the case.

Over all, the movie was great. Despite the cliff hanger ending and CG; I still would recommend it to watchers who are likely fans of gore and violent movies.

Hope this movie gets a part 2 as well!

Mary Stayed Out All Night
Sep 6, 2012
Ah… this drama started with a bam for me. All the cute, the hotness and the… music? Okay… not the music but it’s more of seeing Kim Jae Wook, Jang Geun Suk and Moon Geun Young in one show. My favorite kdrama actors/eye candy people in one SHOW??? How could I not look forward to it?

That’s until I’ve watched through 5 episodes.

This is the type of drama that just tells you, no matter how hot or how popular the actors are, if the story line is crappy, the drama ends up dead.

It was cute, yes. I would have to be honest with that. Seeing Wi Mae Ri strut in her fake voluptuous hair emphasizing her eyes, it was enough for me to go on and watch it. Then throw in the musician Moo Kyul with his long hair, pale skin and shiny shiny smile! Oh wait… not to forget the rich daddy’s boy Jung In, the angsty big boy with daddy issues and melancholic aura. Yes. I’d say they were quite good characters! The show could have been better but it just died with the plot line.

The story revolved in a never ending mess about being in debt, going broke, living a hobo life, making lies which made no actual sense, being employed, being engaged, being dragged around… it was going nowhere. The story went round and round with little bits of cuteness that couldn't save the drama. It was sad because the production had big name actors thrown together and yet they were not able to utilize them to their highest potential.

I won’t be recommending Mary Stayed Out All Night/Mary Me Marry, but if you like to get all gooey eyed to these eye candies… be my guest, just don’t tell me I didn’t warn you.

Ao to Shiro de Mizuiro
Jun 9, 2012
The film was short, simple and has a lot in it. Although I didn't understand 75% of what they're talking about, I was able to get the gist of the whole thing. What I love about this film is that it doesn't need much words for you to understand what was really happening. (Still, i would love to see this with subs) It was a good watch especially for teenagers who are having troubles in school and bullying.

The film shows two unlikely characters meeting and helps each other in the most unusual way (Oguri Shun and Aoi Miyazaki). Friendship falling off and starting anew. The ending was pretty much special for me, it was directed well. The last scene kind of gives you a glimpse of a drastic change due to a decision that was made.

That's all I could say about this movie because I want you to check it out your self if you have the chance. And hopefully, by then some subs are out.

Solanin
Jun 9, 2012
The movie was a manga adaptation from Asano Inio's art and it has so many significant parallels that I felt like I was reading the manga all over again while watching the movie with the plus of music. (Which was pretty fantastic by the way) Though some situations were not brought up in the film, i.e. one of the guys was really in love with the main protagonist but that wasn't really dwelled on, the thought of the manga was still incorporated and didn't make much difference.

I think I enjoyed Solanin because of the fact that I was able to read the manga in the first place and was able to appreciate it more due to the involvement of music. Seeing Aoi Miyazaki sing her heart out on the stage was quite amazing to watch. This was the first time I've ever seen her sing like that and a rock genre nonetheless. I just hope that wasn't a voice over or else I might tear my hair out because I find her singing really cool.

The pacing of the story was alright, it wasn't slow nor too fast, but you had to understand the dialogue to appreciate it for what it is. There is so much meaning to the title Solanin and the movie would explain it well. There were funny moments on simple actions and tear jerking moments in unexpected scenes.

One last thing I have to really comment on, they were able to produce Meiko's t-shirt from the manga for the Live Action movie. That one, I really liked because it meant that they were really going through with details. Do check out the manga drawing in parallel with the Movie cover and you'll understand what I mean.

The Seaside Motel
Jun 9, 2012
A slow paced film that almost bored the hell out of me in the 65% duration of the show but the ending part was quite a revealer and made me change my mind about the whole idea of the movie.

What I liked about this was how everything coincided with each other on the ending part. Initially I watched the film because of Ikuta Toma being one of the characters but slowly, I realized that there are other veteran actors casted in this film which was quite surprising because I thought it was a really low budgeted film. Then again… that’s what they wanted the movie to seem like.

Over all, the movie was funny in some ways, confusing due to the fact that it made me guess some of the character’s real intentions. The sound track and the setting did make sense after finishing the 103 minutes run.