• Location: By the beach.
  • Join Date: May 8, 2012

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.

biniBningPunkista

By the beach.
Jeon Woo Chi: The Taoist Wizard
Oct 10, 2012
Aside from Rom-Com/Melodrama genre, I am also a martial-arts-fight-scene-fanatic and Woochi served up perfectly on my craving for one. Throw in fantasy along with it - I completely became hooked.

What's to like about this movie aside the fight scenes? Kang Dong Won.

I always have this image of him in my head flying around in his fight stance and martial art moves. I initially got that from the movie Duelist. And now, to see him once again just like before, minus that serious manner he sported in his previous film, I just had to see this movie.

Then comes in our pretty Seo In Kyung who was casted in "Finding Mr. Destiny" and "...ing", I have never realized how vital her character was until the very end. That doesn't go the same to the other supporting roles though, BUT they are still essential in this film. They made this film comedic, action packed and yet interesting all at the same time.

Woochi has a very interesting story line once you have immersed yourself into it. Hopefully you don't get distracted too much from the character's mischief and fight scenes because it has a really decent plot line to begin with.

There were two settings in this film, first from a sageuk setting and second on a post modern era which is our present date. Cinematography wise on both settings were awesome. You would know that most of it are CG effects but still, to conceptualize something like that takes a lot of creative thinking.

As for the OST, it is perky and quite catchy and if you listen up to the very end, the tune would probably still be in your head. Then you would revert on thinking back on specific scenes of the movie because of that.

I would recommend this to people who wants a feel-good-none-heavy-story-line completed with action and fantasy.

18 vs. 29
Jun 11, 2012
This drama caught my attention after watching Sweet 18. I remember myself sitting in front of the TV laughing out loud because of the convoluted situation a husband and wife was put through.

Yoon Hye Chan is a 29 year old woman who wants to divorce her husband, due to an accident she lost all her memories and reverted to her old self as an 18 year old. This is where all hell was let loose and where her husband’s real trouble began. Kang Sang-Young is an actor who’s trying to mend his relationship with his wife Hye Chan but was unable to when she was in her 29 year old self. Now that his wife had amnesia, he had to go all through those silly high school details so their love with each other would be rekindled… but wait! There’s more! He has to toughen himself up because his competitor this time is a young lad who is 18 years old and very much willing to help out the 29 year old Hye Chan in her 18 year old mind.

What I liked about this drama was the humor, the silliness the characters had to go through and the flashbacks. I loved the flashbacks because that’s where the main details are. It shows what happened in the past that depicts what exactly was happening in the present and as to why it was taking place. Another bonus to the flashbacks is the young actors who were portraying Hye Chan and Sang Young 18 year old self, both were really cute and an eye candy to watch.

Music wise, there nothing note worthy about it, basically it's just there to give emphasis on what's happening but other than that it just zips right through your brain. Though all in all this is still a drama I would definitely recommend.

I Hear Your Voice
Sep 1, 2013
I liked this drama for a couple of reasons:
Story flow, suspense, characters and insights.

The story had a good premise with a really solid back bone. I'm glad that the writers were able to keep up within its theme which is about justice in the view of different people. Since the story started when the main characters where young, justice followed up even after 11 years passed by. As for the pacing, the drama could be quite serious
at one time then funny the next which looses the heaviness of a particular scene and sometimes, its sensibility.

There's also another fact that caught my attention, it's how the main characters were consistent. Even though there were a lot of growth in each of them, their attitude and there personalities were still the same up to the end of this drama. The actors were great when they were acting their roles. It was as if each character was made for them. Even te antagonist didn't feel like the antagonist after watching this drama. That's how good their character portrayal was for me.

Music wise, it wasn't something that stuck into my head but it was still syncing beautifully. What caught me the most was how emotional the background music became when the scene was about Hye-sung and Su-ha's bittersweet moments.

Over all, I would be recommending this to people who have different insights about justice and devotion to one person. I love the loyalty this drama has shown within its characters. It was a really good series.

Coffee House
Jul 25, 2012
I didn't really want to take note of this drama but it seemed unfair of me to not put my thoughts into it since I did waste 16 hours on it.

Why do I say waste? Because the story line was pretty annoying. I don't know what the writers were thinking when they started brewing up the plot. It had a weak start and a weak ending. The main character was a superb actor, we all know that but the story didn't give justice to his acting skills at all.

Though I would have to admit that there were times where I laughed my ass out to some scenes but that wasn't enough for me to go on rambling and recommending the drama. It will only be a waste of time. So I'm posting it to say that this is one of those drama's which people should avoid watching. Even the music did not give color to the loose story line.

Alice in Wonder City
May 22, 2014
I'm quite a sucker classical music and this drama made it into one of my drama's "I must finish at once" list. Expect to have a lot of music all through out the episodes.

The drama had a lovely premise but it went all wishy-washy somewhere in the middle, loop holes popped up here and there into the story line because they tried to make the conflicts seem more complicated and instead it had dead ends or unexplained troubles which were left unresolved. Although this was the things I disliked about this drama, there were the perks of seeing my favorite character end up with the girl he likes. I'm not going to mention who it is because I wouldn't want to spoil it to prospect viewers but for me that is much of a happy ending and a drama with happy endings - works well for me BIG TIME.

As for the actors/characters, Aaron Yan has gone quite a long way and has matured from that role he had from "It Started With A Kiss". There was a really huge difference from his acting way back up to this drama and boy has he turned into a good looking guy! I like how he handled the complicated character of Ting-Yu. The seemingly bi-polar attitude, happy at times then all of a sudden angry and rigid. But when his character comes in contact with CJ which is acted by Jie Kai, Tung-yu's character seems to be more carefree and outspoken. Both actors had this awesome chemistry of being really good friends and they looked really comfortable on acting their characters.

The female leads on the other hand - I felt that they were slightly over shadowed by the male lead character, like for Alice - I know that the story is supposed to revolve more around her but it seems that her character was not written with a stronger conviction of who she really is. She was initially a nice girl, then suddenly a bad girl then gradually into the drama, she became a nice girl again then bad then nice again. It was sort of annoying that the writer didn't stick with a proper character for her. There was no sense of continuity. I know it was an act within an act, but there was not proper flow. It was too irritating to watch. As for Die Fei, there was so much potential in her character but the singing thing was like cropped out of no where. It was annoying how her story had to go in circle with Ting-Yu's, that everything she did was because of Ting-Yu and not basically about herself. She had to find herself because of the help of someone else, it's sort of sad. An awakening of a person's worth should not come from other people but from within. One thing I liked about her though was her voice, I swear it was like watching "Love at the Dolphin Bay" all over again and hearing Angela Zhang sing for the first time. My ears where momentarily in heaven.

I only wished the female's characters had stronger back bones - like the older one named Lisa. I loved her character in so many ways. It was rich and full of story and she had purpose in the first place. The actress gave justice to her role as well.

I have already re-played my favorite scenes with all the cutey stuff and musical stuff, so for me this drama is basically re-watchable. Hopefully, the story line won't be too disappointing - over all this series is not a waste of time because it stirred my heart and made me smile a lot.

...ing
Sep 6, 2012
The movie starts off with Mina going to the motion of a normal high school student only to realize after a couple of minutes into the movie that she, does not interact at all with the people around her. She's indifferent from everyone.

Then all of a sudden her life is being infiltrated by an annoying man... she learns to adore. The amateur photographer was kind of a mystery as to why he was like that towards her but the story develops towards the end.

Not to forget that there is also that mother (a definitely cool one) who tries to help her daughter in every way she can. I definitely love the way she showed her affection towards Mina and her sacrifices for her. This movie was not just a story about love between a man and a woman but it also shows the love between a mother and daughter.

What I like most about this movie is its subtlety in the dialogues and the small clues as what could happen in the end. I had this small notion that something was up with the guy or the mom, only I can't pin-point what until the very end of the film.

...ing is a very heart warming, tear-jerker movie that I have sworn not to watch for the duration of 2009. I tried to stir away from sad movies as much as I could, but what can I do? I'm just an addict to good story line films and this is definitely one of them. How can anyone pass it up? This film is a 2003 production but I only got hold of it 6 years after. It actually came out way before Kim Rae Won's "My Little Bride" with Moon Geum-Young. Here in this film, the leading actress looked so familiar, so when I looked her up that's when it clicked as to where I have seen her first. It was in "I'm a cyborg, But that's ok." her co-star in it was Rain.

Kim Rae Won never seize to amaze me when it comes to acting. He could be cool, he could make you smile and most of all, his crying definitely gets on to you. A very effective actor, that I am very sure of.

To finish this off, the cinematography was perfect. The music vaguely reminded me of the sound track from the drama series coffee prince, and it worked perfectly well with the movie. The actors were an A plus for their acting and the story line... as I have already mentioned above was one of the best stories I've liked so far.

I'm definitely giving my two thumbs up for people to watch this.

Full House
Jun 10, 2012
So far it is still my ALL TIME FAVORITE Korean drama series. I even re-watched all 16 episodes for I don’t know how many times in the past 7 years. Another thing that won me over was the OST. It just sticks in your head that you would want to hear it over and over and over again.

Although some people had commented it becomes all stale and boring in the long run, I don’t see that. All I see is Song Hye Kyo and that cute chemistry she had with Rain. The bickering and never ending I-hide-my-feelings-because-I-think-I’m-falling-for-you-now charade is what made me love it more. It was a romantic comedy which made me laugh my ass out and then squirm in the insides for the main character’s cat and dog antics.

I’m starting to like you. You’re starting to like me. BUT we’re SO not going to tell each other about these absurd feelings.

That's the whole concept of the main character's convoluted feelings.

In Full House, it was all fair in love and… eerrr debt? That’s how everything started. A contract (oh what a cliché!) and the jealousy induced acting between strangers. In the story, the ever bright Han Ji-Eun is a wacky lead female which lead to a ridiculous story line. Crazy as her character is, Lee Young-jae is the logical one but eventually becomes irrational when it comes to Ji-Eun.

King2Hearts
Nov 20, 2013
Action packed mixed with romance, drama and politics. Then let's put some cherry on top - the theatrics from the bad guys.

This drama had so many interesting elements which made me wish it could actually happen in real life, but then again, this is dramaland and there are so many loopholes in dramaland which you would rather not have in real life.

First off the action:
I love watching Ha Ji Won kicking ass on screen. Whether it is in a movie or a drama I love seeing her as a strong woman who can make men drop on her their knees with their balls shrinking from their behind. There's no difference here, as Kim Hang Ah, a general's daughter she is - strong willed, stubborn, military trained sniper/assassin and yet still smoking with femininity. She is a woman with a high caliber. Literally and figuratively speaking. Then there's our male counter part Lee Seung Ki. This guy is awesome on screen. He's not really good looking but man... he is oozing with charm and sex appeal, I don't know where he gets it. I loved his character as Lee Jae Ha for several reasons - he is a dork, irresponsible and has an easy go lucky personality - which would make you think (what makes that likable?) but then these characteristics makes him normal and realistic in terms of being a rebellious prince - second in the throne. He had so much issues on hand but it gave his character so much room for improvement. If you end up watching this, you'll know what I mean. Setting these two main characters aside, let's not forget the supporting actors and the bad guys.

Another character favorite of mine is Jo Jung Suk as Eun Shi Kyung. He suits the role as a national guard who protects the royalties. He was great in his portrayal and how he stands up to Lee Jae Ha's being a pain in the ass to everyone. But what I liked most was his chemistry with the princess. The spoiled sister Lee Jae Shin acted by Lee Yoon Ji. She was awesome here, although initially her character is the happy spoiled princess she's supposed to be, she actually becomes more than that and becomes a vital character in the drama.

Finally we have Yoon Je Moon as Kim Bong Goo aka John Mayer. (Gaaaad... can't they think of a better name than that? Why name a bad guy after a singer?) Aside from the cheesy namesake, this character was crazy as a bastard. He has a deep grudge against the royalties and has planned out everything up to the very last detail. I like the way he has portrayed his sick character, it was so believable and his being an antagonist works like magic.

Now let's go with the Romance, Drama and Politics:
In every drama there is always the conflict of romance, but in every politics we seldom see romance as a highlight. Here these three elements are mixed together perfectly. Nothing is over shadowed. I wish I could talk more about that without spoiling the drama, but unfortunately it will be a spoiler, so I would rather not dwell in that. Check it out yourself to see how they blended so well.

This drama is re-watchable if you like ass kicking and bickering from our main characters. The sound track was alright, it did match up with the scenes and was appropriate in every episode but it just did not stick into my head. Over all I highly recommend this drama for those who likes the genre I have mentioned on top.

Arang and the Magistrate
Oct 25, 2012
Lee Jun-Ki. Shin Mina. What more can you ask for from the perfect face value cast?

Oh yes... the consistency of the story. Hence my self discussion of like and dislike from this drama.

First, why I like it is the mention from above. Eye candy couple always help bring in more viewers anyways. Then there's the team of solid characters. I believe these individual characters where built up in a really good way, even the flashbacks (which I personally dislike) were essential as a foreground. Not annoying but instead, needed. So I'm letting that one slide.

I love Arang. She's such a feisty ghost/woman. She talks brash, she's persistently cute and most of all she knows how to care. What I hated about her character is the inconsistency of her self-defense behavior. She's supposed to know how to defend herself by kicking ass of both human and ghost alike, but there were slips along the way which makes her such a damsel in distress and THAT is what I dislike about her character.

Sato Kim Eun Oh. *sigh* I want to look on forever at that face. I totally feel how Arang feels. *shakes head to come back to reality* Okay, back to what I like about him - it's the way how he progressed as a person. I love the fact that his personality evolved gradually after meeting Arang, PLUS the fact that he knows how to fight. (I am an action fan so learn to deal with it.) As a wishy-washy character, Sato is still influential and yes… yes… yes… we already know that he is good looking, but besides that he is a man with integrity. What I hate about his character is the fact that he gets all mopey when it comes to his mother. That part irritates me the most. If Arang feels annoyed by it, so do I, in triple folds.

As for the other characters like Dol Soe and the Shaman, the three other officers whom I get to call the three stooges because of the multiple mischief they try to conjure within Miryang and the Great King Jade (Oh man, oh man! My dear Seung Ho, how I adore thee!!!)is also one of the characters that's a dessert to look at. There's also the constant bickering of the King of the Underworld which by the way is cute, but let's not forget the insightful conversations regarding the humans and their hearts. The grim reaper has a good role in all of this as well, I like the fact that he's supposed to be a bad-guy-but-not-really-bad kind of character. The idea that he's also a confused soul but still has to harvest other confused souls feels rather eccentric yet interesting.

Then finally, we also have the REAL bad guys. Not much to say about them but they are very much helpful in building up the story to what it should be. Basically all in all - the mix of all these characters were simply great.

So what went wrong?

The characters were great, the MUSIC was a lovely mix of eeriness and sometimes soulful, the cinematography was love and then… the story line went bland. It was a Sageuk Fantasy fusion with a mix of Rom-Com Horror, it had a good premise but there was that feeling after episode 8 that the story began to drag on. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like there were moments in the series which could have been cut short to emphasize more on the main story and the fun sort of died out and became too serious for my liking. The ending wasn't my cup of tea as well, there was so much that could have been done with that. That's why I would give it an over all rating of 8.

I may not re-watch this drama, but I would recommend it to those who love the actors, good set of acting and well… a ghost filled episode per episode.

Soulmate
Jun 9, 2012
This Drama gave me a different perspective about love. What is fate? What is destiny? How do you differentiate fate and just being attracted? I still don't know the main answer between love and fate. All i know is that my perspective changed... made me glad i watched this drama at least its an enlightenment.

Music wise, they have used it splendidly. I say that because the main theme song was really incorporated well into the story. Having it has so much meaning all through out the drama and you'll just get that sense of LSS (las song syndrome) after hearing it over and over and over again.

Cinematography was pure bliss. It wasn't big or extravagant like other dramas but the angles to capture the scene brought out the beauty of the back drops and it's realism.

Here are several favorite quotes gathered from the drama:

"Everyone has a reason to be happy."

"Fate is something you can't run away from, something you can't shake off no matter how hard you try, it just sticks on to you no matter what."

"The best revenge to do against your enemy is to live happier than he does."

"So knowing each other's true feelings can be this difficult."

"If we're meant to be, even if it's not now… someday. Someday we'll be able to meet again."

Children of the Dark
Jan 26, 2016
This is one of those movies that gave me a perplexing vibe after I was through with it. For a film that was meant to have a collaboration of two countries namely Japan and Thailand, this was slightly controversial. First off, to show a country with its dirt about human trafficking, that’s already one serious issue to dwell on… then add the corruption of government officials at the side lines, well that’s like adding salt to the injury. Nonetheless, this was a great movie to watch, especially if you’re interested in ethical and social issues around the globe.

Eguchi Yosuke has always been a great actor and I’m glad he is able to reunite with Miyazaki Aoi on screen for yet another work or rather I should say a BETTER movie this time around. I have already expected top notch acting performance from both main actors including Tsumabaki Satoshi who is part of the supporting cast, and unbelievably they surpassed my expectation.

The plot line sound quite simple, a volunteer social worker meets with a journalist and they start working hand in hand to uncover and expose the crime behind the Human Trafficking to help the poor children who are caught in such a hideous crime. What makes this story interesting is that this event is actually happening in real life and by watching this, it raises awareness to other people in other countries. Then add to this the fact that the production setting and cinematography seemed so real in a sense that it almost looked like a documentary, that my heart broke every time I see the children being herded off to the unknown. Lastly, there is the script. The story line is awesome that it makes the whole movie a real work of art. Music wise, I couldn't actually remember much of it, but I would probably rewatch this in the future with some students to use as a tool for discussion on such issues.

I usually have the habit of predicting drama or movie endings, and usually I’m not mistaken, but when it comes to Yosuke’s films, I am always caught off guard. I had the same feeling when I watched Gimme Heaven’s ending which both main actors where previously in. It was so mind boggling and yet it did make sense big time. I'm really hoping more people will be able to watch this film and I am definitely recommending it.

Which Star Are You From?
Jun 11, 2012
A Kdrama in which I have total bias in.

Although the story is a total wreck with all the drama cliché, Kim Rae Won and Jung Ryu Won gave justice for the whole show. It even garnered 17% viewership which isn’t that bad in Korea if you ask a couple of netizens.

The story is about a movie maker (Choi Seung-Hee) who caused the death of his girlfriend. After the incident, he has the trauma of driving the car and finding love again. (I know… I know… I told you the cliché!) Then one day during a movie project he meets Kim Bok-Shil, the exact replica of his dead girl friend’s face. So in denial, he started to follow her around and discovered that she’s a complete different person. The girl was a country bumpkin, the opposite of his refined dead girlfriend. As he gets closer to her, they eventually fall in love… but there is a catch: is he in love with her face or with her as a person? (Told you, the cliché on same faces.)

After this, there were a couple more twists which led me to tear my hair out in frustration, but I bore it down because for the love of Rae Won and Ryu Won. Aren’t they just perfect for each other? Their names are even a match made in heaven! (Wishful thinking.) Aside from the main casts, there’s the perk of the comedy within the drama which made it more bearable to watch.

Crows Zero 2
Jun 9, 2012
The second installment was not as dramatic as the first, not as action packed as the first… but it definitely had substance in it. What got my attention during the whole movie was how the characters showed how to make a REAL man out of a MAN. If you do get what I mean.

So who was the best example in the film to show how a real man should act? It was Genji's father. Damn! I so love the old man.

Rival gangs are always not my cup of tea when watching violent movies but CROW ZERO II worked on me. BIG TIME. There was still a lot comparison from the first movie and so many differences, yet it still worked. It was still as good as CROWS ZERO I can get. If not the best it is really GOOD. Oguri Shun still got to me that he now holds a real special place in my heart. His character as Genji-san shall never be forgotten.

The soundtrack was perfect even for the fighting scenes. I love how they have incorporated the music in crucial moments. That's one thing that I love with Japanese films, they use the music in the right moments.

Although there was a tiny speck of dust that I didn’t like in the film, it still made me understand that without it the whole new story for CZ II will not start. So I am letting that go.

Mushishi
Jun 9, 2012
The movie depicts a time were demons and humans co-exist and only the selected few humans can detect the demons which normal people perceive as ordinary bugs. That's where Ginko (Joe Odagiri) comes in. The story was excerpted from a manga, so for those who are familiar with the manga version they might be slightly disappointed since it was compressed into a 160+ minutes of live action movie. I only have a vague introduction of the manga, so the film-manga comparison didn't bother me much. Story wise, some would think that the pacing was a bit slow but for my two cents, I felt there was something more to those scenes than just the dialogue or the characters. Another plus factor is the visual effects. The colors were all in different hues, not much bright colors but in pastels and it was really beautiful to look at.

What made me watch it in the first place was Joe Odagiri as Ginko and Yu Aoi as Tanyu. Both actors are big names in the Japan entertainment industries and their acting was not subpar at all. They played their roles amazingly.

Music was in sync with the scenes but it was not that special. Although I would have to take note of the background music during a scene with Tanyu and her magical skills using long metal chopsticks. That scene was really brought out by the music, I think without the sound track that specific scene wouldn't have been as powerful as it seemed.

I re-watched segments of the film just for the sake of ogling on Joe Odagiri and his white hair. Not sure if you're interested in that, but if you are, then share the boat with me. It's worth re-watching.

Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit
Jun 9, 2012
A Shota Matsuda film with a dark aura for the trailer. I thought it was going to be another one of those psychological movie type that Japanese are so fond of, but I was proved wrong. The movie made me cry for the sentimental moments shown through out the film. This questions were left with me too:

If you have only 24 hours to live, what will you do with your remaining hours?

If death comes knocking at your door step, what would you do?

The main character, Kengo Fujimoto (Shota) was one of the "Ikigami" bearers. An Ikigami is a notice, sent by a messenger to the person who only has 24 hours to live as issued by the government. This law was done to prosper the country by lowering crime, death rate and increasing productiveness. It was meant to sacrifice a handful of innocent or not so innocent people, but nonetheless, these people are picked randomly, given an Ikigami notice then die after 24 hours through a capsule that was injected to the citizens during the preschool age acting as a time bomb. The story revolves around the people that Kengo gives the notices to, he somehow ends up following these people and disregard his agency's rules.

With a scene starting off with a violent act, the ending was pretty much unexpected. It was beyond my imagination that Ikigami would turn out like this. The film should be watched by many to learn more about the essence of life and living.

I love the soundtrack, the story line, the actors, everything about the film was great. The flow of the story was very simple and yet it leaves you thinking at the same time. For the theme song entitled SIGNPOST which was also sang in one of the scenes of the movie was incredible. The thought and lyrics of the song was something that has to be listened to carefully (or read in our part for those who can't understand Japanese).